The King of Hate Forums
Kyoko_Kirigiri

What Anime/Manga Are You Currently Watching/Reading?

12 minutes ago, KingBunghole said:

I've stayed away from this manga because of the ecchi tag (saw a promo for it, and the food orgasms are indeed over-the-top), but I'm surprised by its high rating on Myanimelist. I guess it must be doing some things quite well despite the fanservice (or because of it, in the case of some fans I guess).  

I think its a good manga, despite the weird food fetish everyone seems to have. The way challenges and "battles" are approached differently by each character and the amount of real-life information/technique used to explain what's happening is quite refreshing for a shonen manga. I'm more used to everyone defeating their enemies with random power-ups lol. With Food Wars, the skills and knowledge of each character seems realistic in the sense that most have trained or at least have experienced cooking at a high level. The dishes they make even correspond to the type of cooking they've been exposed to, so in a lot of ways they're just expressing their personalities through the medium of food. I find that very appealing. 

Edited by Avarice

15 minutes ago, Avarice said:

I think its a good manga, despite the weird food fetish everyone seems to have. The way challenges and "battles" are approached differently by each character and the amount of real-life information/technique used to explain what's happening is quite refreshing for a shonen manga. I'm more used to everyone defeating their enemies with random power-ups lol. With Food Wars, the skills and knowledge of each character seems realistic in the sense that most have trained or at least have experienced cooking at a high level. The dishes they make even correspond to the type of cooking they've been exposed too, so in a lot of ways they're just expressing their personalities through the medium of food, which I find very appealing. 

I do prefer tactics and technique in shonen battles over random power-ups, so that's a plus (one of the reasons I'm enjoying My Hero Academia is the lack of asspull/anger/power-of-friendship power-ups, instead opting for some simple but effective tactics). It's interesting to hear about the level of detail you're describing... 

29 minutes ago, KingBunghole said:

I do prefer tactics and technique in shonen battles over random power-ups, so that's a plus (one of the reasons I'm enjoying My Hero Academia is the lack of asspull/anger/power-of-friendship power-ups, instead opting for some simple but effective tactics). It's interesting to hear about the level of detail you're describing... 

I actually read the first few chapters of My Hero Academia back when it first came out, but I stopped reading and never picked it up again.

Personally I'm not opposed to the idea of cool-guy power ups, but Food Wars was definitely a change of pace for me. In a good way. Also, the detail of the cooking can be explained by the fact the recipes are provided by a Japanese chef by the name of Yuki Morisaki. I imagine the author has some knowledge of the culinary arts as well, but don't quote me on that.

Food Wars definitely isn't a masterpiece. It has pacing issues and of course the ecchi issue is ever-present, but I think if you are interested in cooking and are looking for something more light-hearted in comparison to other manga in the same genre, then it's at least worth a look. 

Edited by Avarice

6 hours ago, Avarice said:

I actually read the first few chapters of My Hero Academia back when it first came out, but I stopped reading and never picked it up again.

Personally I'm not opposed to the idea of cool-guy power ups, but Food Wars was definitely a change of pace for me. In a good way. Also, the detail of the cooking can be explained by the fact the recipes are provided by a Japanese chef by the name of Yuki Morisaki. I imagine the author has some knowledge of the culinary arts as well, but don't quote me on that.

Food Wars definitely isn't a masterpiece. It has pacing issues and of course the ecchi issue is ever-present, but I think if you are interested in cooking and are looking for something more light-hearted in comparison to other manga in the same genre, then it's at least worth a look. 

Ah, too bad. A common complaint I hear from people is that the first part of the MHA is too slow for an introduction, but I definitely think it picks up from there and you get a lot more character development and cool battles (surprised by how much stuff is packed in their first year of school). I already like this better than I ever liked shonen manga like Bleach or One Piece, and it's only slightly past 100 chapters now.

It's always nice to get an expert to help you out, if you're going for authenticity. Same thing happened with Hikaru no Go, though I could never verify the strategies. >_>  

I'm also ignorant of the culinary arts, but I'll keep your recommendation in mind. 

Edited by KingBunghole

Anime: Yesterday I sat down and watched Gyo. Fun! However, I understand why there aren't many Junji Ito adaptations into animation. His ink work has a special kind of horror to it that other animation companies cannot quite synergize with effectively.

Now I'm hunting down a paperback of Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service. I'll probably watch The Tatami Galaxy next.

On 9/16/2016 at 10:05 AM, Literati said:

Anime: Yesterday I sat down and watched Gyo. Fun! However, I understand why there aren't many Junji Ito adaptations into animation. His ink work has a special kind of horror to it that other animation companies cannot quite synergize with effectively.

Now I'm hunting down a paperback of Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service. I'll probably watch The Tatami Galaxy next.

I'm normally not big into horror, but Junji Ito's work has created such a buzz that I just had to relent. Now I've read four of his works (Uzumaki, Fragments of Horror, Gyo, and Yon and Mu) and you'll have to forgive me if this sounds odd, but I found them more funny than scary. I mean, there are some truly novel ideas in his work, but their novelty only gives me cause to smirk rather than cower in fear. The sight of a gas-powered shark-spider chasing people is just that absurd. 

I'm sure normal people would find his monsters more repulsive than I find them, but I'm pretty numb to it. I can honestly say that his works are oddly addictive, atmospheric (not a visceral sense of fear, but other senses of atmosphere like frantic chaos in works like Uzumaki and Gyo), well-drawn, and interesting to ponder, but in terms of scare value, I'm not there in any major way. I might look into the anime of Gyo just to see how well (or not) they adapted it. 

Tatami Galaxy is a good one. I often find things to like in time loop stories if they're done well, and this is no exception. It requires a little patience to reap the rewards, however. You might not see where it's going until late in the story, which some might consider a flaw, but I think it works thematically. 

Edited by KingBunghole

Right now, I'm watching/reading through JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. The pacing in most parts is really great for me, and at the rate I'm blowing through Part 4, I'll probably start the manga in like a week. :D

I'm watching way too much stuff from this season but my favorites are Haikyuu!, Bungo Stray Dogs, Keijo!!, RWBY, and Show By Rock. As for manga, I don't read much but I'm currently reading RWBY and One Punch Man and loving both. lol