Jump to content
The King of Hate Forums

What Anime/Manga Are You Currently Watching/Reading?


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, cooper said:

Wow its that good? I did not think BB would be topped so soon. 

http://www.imdb.com/search/title?num_votes=5000,&sort=user_rating,desc&title_type=tv_series

Interesting. I didn't know this function was available on Imdb. 

BB deserves the top, it's basically everything I could ask for in a drama/thriller. On the other hand, it's not that OPM is some kind of revolutionary show, I just think OPM fans are way too zealous about it and overhype it (not saying that it doesn't have good qualities), so they probably went a little crazy with the high votes. I wouldn't be surprised if there were some organized efforts on Reddit or an imageboard to vote it up, so I'd advise some caution about what that rating tells you. 

Still, if you're interested in an anime/manga satire about an overpowered protagonist searching for a worthy foe, his overly-serious cyborg sidekick, and an assorted cast of colorful superheroes, you might want to check it out. I posted some thoughts about it earlier in this topic:

 https://thekingofhate.com/forums/topic/10-what-animemanga-are-you-currently-watchingreading/?page=6#comment-41374

The manga is ongoing, but the current 12 episode adaption's last episode airs today. Whether or not it continues with the manga storyline depends on the animation studio, but people are saying it probably will since it's explosively popular. There are already 7 original video animations planned after these 12 episodes. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

FOOL!

I just finished rewatching Cowboy Bebop, and am half way through watching Attack on Titan for the first time. Enjoyed both immensely.

​oh, I watch Toriko subbed on crunchyroll. it's a subscription based program like hulu or netflix but for anime and dramas. 

Posted Images

The anime was genuinely amazing. I'm not one to fall into the hype train for series or events but I was actually blown away by One Punch Man's anime. Not only was the execution of Murata's overall humor with the series done well, but the animation was gorgeous. Madhouse really put their everything in making the fights come to life. Boros vs Saitama was excellent. I'm going to miss the series.  I know that there is going to be a season 2 but it's goin to be a while since there isn't exactly that much source material. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Boros vs. Saitama felt Gainaxesque with all the zipping around and bright colors. I agree that the animation was great throughout, and that made me hopeful for something even more impressive for the fight with the next big boss. They technically have enough source material to do another season if we're talking about ONE's original webcomic, but more likely, they'll wait for Yusuke Murata's manga to finish up the arc they're on. 

I have plenty of anime to watch in the meantime. I'm still watching Legend of the Galactic Heroes, but I've also started binging Hunter X Hunter. I didn't think I could be so captivated by a battle anime again, but this show seems to recapture the magic I felt about such shows in my youth, while occasionally subverting my expectations in some ways. I can see why it's ranked 5 on Myanimelist, it's very compulsively watchable.  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Found this very interesting. To compare what Japan rates highly to the west. Seem's very different overall. Brotherhood ranked rather low considering most of ranks here i have seen giving it best anime of all time. Same with DBZ i though that was popular in japan but its super low where in the west its everywhere on the internet. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/3yx2zh/top_100_anime_according_to_jap_mal_equivalent/

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/31/2015 at 6:35 PM, cooper said:

Found this very interesting. To compare what Japan rates highly to the west. Seem's very different overall. Brotherhood ranked rather low considering most of ranks here i have seen giving it best anime of all time. Same with DBZ i though that was popular in japan but its super low where in the west its everywhere on the internet. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/3yx2zh/top_100_anime_according_to_jap_mal_equivalent/

Thanks for the link. It's indeed very interesting to ponder the differences, but also the similarities (Steins Gate is top 5 in both regions with a one rank difference). I just spent way too much time comparing Japanese and Western rank differences. 

In DBZ's case, there's actually only a ten rank difference between the two sites. One reason it gets so much attention in the West is that for a lot of anime fans growing up in the 90's, this was their first experience with a fantasy action anime. I remember watching the show as a teen, and back then there really wasn't anything else like it, with its emphasis on violent martial arts and insane planet-busting attacks (also, one of the first cartoons I watched where main characters could die).  

Nostalgia value may also partially account for FMA: Brotherhood's popularity in the West. The 2003 version was well received so that built up hype for Brotherhood, particularly with Edward's English voice actor returning (probably one of the most respected in the industry). But there's obviously more to it than that. I think FMA's story works well with a Western audience for a similar reason that Cowboy Bebop does: the setting and most of the characters feel very Western, making for a very easy translation to a Western audience, who can feel at ease with the cultural presentation. Whereas some anime rely a lot on Japanese references and humor, and that tends to fly right over the heads of foreign viewers. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, KingBunghole said:

Thanks for the link. It's indeed very interesting to ponder the differences, but also the similarities (Steins Gate is top 5 in both regions with a one rank difference). I just spent way too much time comparing Japanese and Western rank differences. 

In DBZ's case, there's actually only a ten rank difference between the two sites. One reason it gets so much attention in the West is that for a lot of anime fans growing up in the 90's, this was their first experience with a fantasy action anime. I remember watching the show as a teen, and back then there really wasn't anything else like it, with its emphasis on violent martial arts and insane planet-busting attacks (also, one of the first cartoons I watched where main characters could die).  

Nostalgia value may also partially account for FMA: Brotherhood's popularity in the West. The 2003 version was well received so that built up hype for Brotherhood, particularly with Edward's English voice actor returning (probably one of the most respected in the industry). But there's obviously more to it than that. I think FMA's story works well with a Western audience for a similar reason that Cowboy Bebop does: the setting and most of the characters feel very Western, making for a very easy translation to a Western audience, who can feel at ease with the cultural presentation. Whereas some anime rely a lot on Japanese references and humor, and that tends to fly right over the heads of foreign viewers. 

Nostalgia  is diffidently the case for DBZ, i love the series and even the original dragonball i own both. They both have alot of flaw's, im actually one of the people who prefer kai seems to be a 50/50 split in who prefers which. I think many of the voice's are alot better frieza especially if you compare his dub in the original to Kai and the latest DBZ movie. 

 

FMA:B  i don't really agree its one of the best anime i have ever seen, best Shōnen anime out there for sure. Close to the Manga and not alot of filler and a story anyone can really get into. Compare that to the rest which alot of them are heavily milked and marketed and super long. Naruto, Bleach, One piece etc... 

Edited by cooper
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, cooper said:

Nostalgia  is diffidently the case for DBZ, i love the series and even the original dragonball i own both. They both have alot of flaw's, im actually one of the people who prefer kai seems to be a 50/50 split in who prefers which. I think many of the voice's are alot better frieza especially if you compare his dub in the original to Kai and the latest DBZ movie. 

 

FMA:B  i don't really agree its one of the best anime i have ever seen, best Shōnen anime out there for sure. Close to the Manga and not alot of filler and a story anyone can really get into. Compare that to the rest which alot of them are heavily milked and marketed and super long. Naruto, Bleach, One piece etc... 

I haven't watched Kai, but the premise of an HD remaster with the filler cut out sounds good to me. I still shake my head at the Namek episodes in DBZ, where Frieza said it would take five minutes for the planet to blow up, but it actually took a billion episodes.

I didn't mean to imply that FMA:B was all nostalgia and no quality, just trying to account for why it's so much more popular in the West than Japan. 

FMA:B doesn't have a lot of filler because they were consciously trying to follow the manga story, whereas the 2003 version ended before the manga ended so it had to make up original content. You say that it's a show that anyone can get into, I agree, and that's probably a big reason why it's so popular. The show basically has all the main ingredients to be an entertaining adventure story: intriguing premise, likable main characters, a fleshed out universe... but by being so accessible it also doesn't take a lot of risks. Whereas you have anime like Berserk that are interesting partly because the MC has questionable morals.  

FMA definitely deserves props for being a shonen show that knows when to end. Naruto, Bleach, and One Piece have been  going on for 10+ years and only Naruto has ended, those three anime are all huge commitments. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, JustAHuman said:

Watching Golden Time; nice change from other stuff I've been seeing. :) 

I tried watching that a few days ago. It was slightly amusing but I dropped it after episode 1 and watching some clips on Youtube, I don't think it was really my type of humor. The dub version seems superior, the VA probably had a lot of fun making Kintaro sound as over-the-top as possible. 

I've been watching some short comedy anime. Plastic Nee-San was fairly amusing and it took less than half an hour to watch the whole series, so that's an easy one to recommend. DMC (Detroit Metal City) was a little uneven at times but also had its funny moments. It also happens to be the ultimate anti-SJW anime. This show isn't afraid to drop C-bombs or make casual rape jokes. Sometimes, it's the audacity of this that makes you laugh.  

I'm now in the middle of watch Daily Lives of High School Boys. This might be the funniest one so far, but I've only completed the first three episodes, so it could go downhill from here. 

Edited by KingBunghole
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, KingBunghole said:

I tried watching that a few days ago. It was a slightly amusing but I dropped it after episode 1 and watching some clips on Youtube, I don't think it was really my type of humor. The dub version seems superior, the VA probably had a lot of funny making Kintaro sound as over-the-top as possible. 

I've been watching some short comedy anime. Plastic Nee-San was fairly amusing and it took less than half an hour to watch the whole series, so that's an easy one to recommend. DMC (Detroit Metal City) was a little uneven at times but also had its funny moments. It also happens to be the ultimate anti-SJW anime. This show isn't afraid to drop C-bombs or make casual rape jokes. Sometimes, its audacity of this that makes you laugh.  

I'm now in the middle of watch Daily Lives of High School Boys. This might be the funniest one so far, but I've only completed the first three episodes, so it could go downhill from here. 

Well, some other ones for me to try at least. Thanks! :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, alphys said:

im watching love live! again, and im waiting for the dangan ronpa: another episode anime to come out, im currently looking for the dr:ae manga. im also watching osomatsu-san. i also may watch colorful or nekojiru again !!

Nekojiru is on my list of anime films that I may watch, but I get the sense that it might be too abstract for me.

Colorful was a pleasant film. I liked some of the messages and it's a warm depiction of meeting your first friend. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 5 months later...
51 minutes ago, MrZeroCore said:

Been watching the new jojo part 4 anime loving it so far also saw the season 1 finally of My hero academia and i've been watching Kabaneri of the Ironfortress season finaly is gonna be crazy can't wait.

My hero academia is really good, I've been watching the broadcast dub and so far its getting pretty intense 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Also watching My Hero Academia and enjoying it enough to read the manga too. Some people say it's just shonen as usual, and they're not entirely wrong, but I think it deserves more credit for some of the little things it does right or avoids:

- No "power of friendship" or anger-based power-ups so far. MC starts with the ability to unleash 100% of his power, but has to be careful about doing so because it wrecks his body

- MC is not the standard well-intentioned bonehead like Goku or Luffy, his geek knowledge actually pays off. Many of the fights are won by simple but effective tactics, characters using their powers in unexpected ways, instead of them always pulling new moves and power-ups out of their ass

- Most of the students have clearly stated weaknesses. I appreciate that powers like super-speed aren't just a carbon-copy of heroes like The Flash, but are a little more eccentric with how they operate

- I pretty much find Izuku's entire class likable, but some of them, we know very little about, even in the 96 chapters so far. Not saying they should focus on everyone equally, but I hope we get some more fleshing out later  

- The soundtrack is a perfect fit for the heroic theme

So far, I can't complain too much. As mentioned, some characters need more fleshing out, Izuku's crying is a little overdone (I don't mind if they show that he's sensitive, but it's taken too far), and I keep thinking there has to be a deeper reason for Bakugo's extreme anger when it's probably just his pride and offense at Deku's character, but other than that, I dig it.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, KingBunghole said:

When does Re:Zero ramp up? I watched the first three or so episodes and wasn't that impressed, but it's supposed to get better later. I just want to know when. 

I believe after the second arc then it ramps up or gives u the feels. 

But for reading wise I been reading 

LMS
Legendary Moonlight Sculptor

http://www.rainbowturtletranslation.com/

Currently on volume 42 Chapter 5 its a good read 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

I've recently been reading the Food Wars manga. I never knew making food could be so intense. It's quite intriguing though, especially from the perspective of someone who knows very little about the culinary arts. I also like the way the main character has been developed, where he's kind of OP at the beginning but later on meets people who rival his abilities, even surpassing him in certain aspects. It makes both him and the other main characters more interesting, IMO. The food orgasms are too much though. That shit is ridiculous. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Avarice said:

I've recently been reading the Food Wars manga. I never knew making food could be so intense. It's quite intriguing though, especially from the perspective of someone who knows very little about the culinary arts. I also like the way the main character has been developed, where he's kind of OP at the beginning but later on meets people who rival his abilities, even surpassing him in certain aspects. It makes both him and the other main characters more interesting, IMO. The food orgasms are too much though. That shit is ridiculous. 

I've stayed away from this manga because of the ecchi tag (saw a promo for it, and the food orgasms are indeed over-the-top), but I'm surprised by its high rating on Myanimelist. I guess it must be doing some things quite well despite the fanservice (or because of it, in the case of some fans I guess).  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...