The King of Hate Forums

Patreon Perk Suggesions Thread

lets keep it real

there is no way phil can keep playing for 24 hours without the quality suffering, i d dare say not even 12 or 8 hours.

the problem isnt stamina alone, it isnt his age alone, its also the compensation, what he will get out of it.

cause if its peanuts, phils isnt gonna do it and its logical.

how much is NOT peanuts you might ask? maybe 300, maybe 500. dollars. i just cant picture phil doing the marathon for 150 bucks, i cant.

​I agree with you here. I think an 8 hour stream would be totally better than a 24 hour stream for many reasons already stated.

A 24 hour marathon would also completely screw up his stream schedule and probably cause him to be late for his streams more often.

He could do a 6 or 8 hour stream with a 15 mintue break every two hours to run advertisements.  So his Patreons reach a goal he will donate all the money up to that goal and the money he makes from advertisements during the stream that day. The charity gets a large donation and Phil can write it off his taxes. It's a win win.

If anybody watches the charity stream with adblock turned on that would be a dickish move.

I nominate Child's Play if he decides to do this.

​True, it would. I'd also nominate Child's Play if he decides to go about this too.

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's what I'd really like from the patreon campaign: transparency. You've been shaping the past to fit your narrative for the past few weeks and it's getting to be gross. Views did not decrease une

This topic is for discussing ideas for Phil's Patreon if he decides to create one, not for voicing your drama. Stay on topic please. :| Perhaps some of the higher tiers would involve a meet and greet

Dunno he doesn't have a Patreon yet, and both darksydephil and dspgaming have been registered as troll accounts. I kinda wish he would bring back his PO box so he could do videos of stuff he receives

Posted Images

So his Patreons reach a goal he will donate all the money up to that goal and the money he makes from advertisements during the stream that day. The charity gets a large donation and Phil can write it off his taxes. It's a win win.

wow there. when did phil say he is going to be doing charity through his patreon?

cause i might have missed it. i believe phil never mentioned charity through his patreon.

donate all the money? better check with phil. dont think he d ever agree. 

I was just making a suggestion. Phil mentioned he wanted to do a charity thing 2 years ago earlier in this thread. 8 hours would be the maximum then he would spend the rest of the day uploading all that footage and resting. The charity route is honestly the best route, it will make people feel good that their money is going to a charity instead of the Internal Revenue Service and Phil gets to seriously cut his federal taxes.

Phil could deduct 50 percent of his adjusted gross income according to the IRS website.

yeah but phil is in debt. he cant be doing charity work.

i find a fine suggestion would be doing mini marathons of a single game (maybe retro), aiming to win it with only the initial lives for example.

there was a japanese guy, chief arino, that had this show "game center cx" that has i think 10 seasons and is still going probably.

ofcourse its a profesional show, most if not all of the segments cant be done from phil but "aiming to win with only the initial 3 lives" for example can be done. or maybe not finish the game, just reach and win the 3rd boss or something.

it ll set a game goal and cut down the time while maintaining the "marathon" feel.

needless to say, the show was very popular and i watched all subed episodes i could find.

Donating the money from his fans and the profits from the marathon stream will allow him to keep more money after he pays taxes for this year.

After the stream he can post a video of himself going to the Child's Play website donating via PayPal on Patreon as proof that he donated the money. If he doesn't want to show his pay pal details he could just show the receipt on Patreon with his personal details blacked out

People who suggest time-locked stuff talk about 1-2 days as the ideal range.  I don't think this is lucrative enough.  It has to be long enough to make some people think 'I couldn't wait that long' rather than 'I'd rather just wait'.

​i go along with these suggestions and i think the exclusive videos should consist of either highly edited montage style videos or playthroughs of short indie games that dont take too much time, but would still be interesting because they differ from typical AAA games. I also think that wouldnt take away too much from the regular content because the regular viewer would still be able too watch all the big titles like anyone else.

​I was thinking the other way around.  Edited content for the average viewer, the raw footage as it has always been done is only viewable by patrons for a certain time-period.  The edited footage is more palatable to the average viewer and more likely to win subs.  The raw footage could even be moved over to another channel so that complaints of 'inbox spamming' would finally cease.

This is probably a pipe-dream though, since the current business model relies on views across many videos (I think?), and many people will forgo the raw footage after having seen the edited version.

Charity stream would be cool, but then again I really don't want to see Phil do a 24 hour stream. That's rough when you start to get older, I dunno if he could do that.

​He's only in his early 30's.....given Phil's drank some energy drinks(In which he even covered in some DSP Tries It and other videos), I don't think it is that demanding on the body. He has done long midnight releases(Watch Dogs) recently and even had a fighting game marathon of some sort. 

Its cool if he needs to take a day off to recoop a day after though. 

He could set up different goals to determine how long the charity stream will be. Like set-up a minimum stream length and maximum stream length based on contributions.  He'll donate his earnings for the stream along with the Patreon contributions but keep the money from the uploaded archived videos on his channel.  The contributions for a very long stream has to be enough so he can take the next day off to rest his voice and spend time outside the house.

If he gets tons of contributions he could do it once every week.

He could set up different goals to determine how long the charity stream will be. Like set-up a minimum stream length and maximum stream length based on contributions.  He'll donate his earnings for the stream along with the Patreon contributions but keep the money from the uploaded archived videos on his channel.  The contributions for a very long stream has to be enough so he can take the next day off to rest his voice and spend time outside the house.

If he gets tons of contributions he could do it once every week.

​I think he should keep the Patreon money in that scenario; he's delivered on a promise so it's justified that he pockets that.  Rather than donating stream revenue (because discussing stream revenue opens up some real cans of worms) he should match donations.  It gives a direct for incentive for people to donate, and leaves a very plain and simple total at the end of the night.

Time locking, even without the SoK doing their thing, is not going to pay off in the long run - the biggest problem is your content getting stale, and how is time locking going to fix that?  With this Patreon money you have a cushion to take risks (like video editing) without losing your shirt if they don't work out perfectly.

For the record, a charity stream is something I would do regardless of Patreon interaction, with the proceeds going 100% to charity. I don't think that charity is something that should be determined based on if you reach a financial goal on a fundraising website for yourself. However right now is not the right time for that. Undoubtedly I'd be bombarded with negativity, DDOSing and the like and it's just not worth it when I'm JUST getting off the ground with a Patreon discussion.

So charity events are off the table, for now. Please continue to suggest other things - i.e. a gaming marathon stream outside of normal playthroughs that I would normally do IS still a valid suggestion I'd consider. Just not for charity.

You could choose three games that you probably won't totally hate that all Patreon supporters could vote on which game to do a long stream once a goal is met.

A medium goal would be using this to edit your videos to make montages http://filehippo.com/download_avidemux/tech/

You could set a smaller goal of letting people choose which movie you'll do a review of in your movie review series.

Every person that donates money that you actually receive could be given credit by having their Pareon names shown when you take a break during pre-streams and during breaks..

Here's my list suggestions:

Requested playthroughs. Probably in form of a contest once every few months. The winner gets to pick a reasonable game that Phil would play. Phil and the winner should come to an agreement on the conditions of the playthrough. (will it become ongoing, or just a couple streams to try it out).

A one on one call to ask a couple questions on Hate Live. Not sure how it would work. Some people suggested Google handout. And once in a while a special interview for a lucky fan.

Occasional fan appreciation matches.

Better chance at getting questions answered for Ask the King.

Better chance at giveaways.

Special perks for the forum (Custom ranks and exclusive section)

Feedback on prototypes of series before the final release.

Discounts for DPS merch if you ever bring that back.

• Upvote 1

And no, in further response, there's no way whatsoever I could play games for 24 hours straight. I'm one man. But I'd consider something smaller like 8 hours or so.

​I don't know, Phil, but i think bringing gaming news would be your thing.

It would be work and you would have to do it even when you don't want to. So, that's the part, which is not so funny.

But you have a talent for reporting in your own style of talking. I think that would be something new, and not only gaming, what you are already doing all the time. It still would be related to gaming. And you could still give your opinion on things. It's not your thing?

Here a few suggestion, not sure if it already been mentioned.

1) Could give priority to patreon members when he plays multi-player games like Street Fighter or COD.  Similar to how people on Twitch streamer only play with "subscriber only".  Maybe a monthly fan appreciation day.  This way he able to make content and give a benefit to those subscribing on Patreon.

2) Phil usually giving stuff during the hard core gaming season.  How about doing monthly give away for Patreon subscribers.  I recall Phil mentioning he got a ton of Project 7 t-shirt.  He could sign it and give those away.

3) Give some priority to patreon members during Hate live skype calls.  This is assuming Phil feels safe enough to do it after being DDOS.

4) Give some priority to patreon members on questions answers during Ask the King video.

5) For shows where it make sense to have a guest host, possibility have a chance to be a guest host.  Of the current shows maybe Smark Guys.

6) Priority on suggestions for what to try for the DSP Tries it series.

​I have no idea what the point is you're trying to make. lol

​that if the perks are going to be fruitfull, he has to have a stable live first.

we can offer the best perk suggestions but if he gets ddos'd every 10 minutes its useless, if he cant maintain the live, any perk is dead on the water.

​that if the perks are going to be fruitfull, he has to have a stable live first.

we can offer the best perk suggestions but if he gets ddos'd every 10 minutes its useless, if he cant maintain the live, any perk is dead on the water.

​you cant use being ddosd as a reason not to do something it has happened once maybe twice. So its not that big of a threat. 

​I agree, but him not being dumb and egging on the hackers to DDoS him is also beneficial.

So far, the two most suggested patreon reward playthroughs, Minecraft and Persona, will be more of a punishment to the fine folks giving you money than a reward.

An entertaining Minecraft video relies on a few things that, frankly, Phil lacks in these days: creativity, adaptability, and storytelling. If I wanted to watch someone stumble through the crafting interface, slowly build a house and then get killed in the middle of the night and call the game a piece of shit for spawning in a creeper, I'd watch my dad give it a try. Playing Minecraft with absolutely no incentive to enjoy it other than "welp, people paid me to do this" will end in nothing but a giant rant against a game that Phil already has a clear bias against.

Persona 3 or 4. Good lord, no. A game that's a celebration of anime and friendship, requires laser focus during the dungeons to get the most out of the encounters, is grindy and nuanced and self-serious in a silly way? Phil would destroy it. Absolutely shit all over it. I don't want to hear Chie called a slut or Junpei called an asshole. And a patreon goal that's only playing Persona for a few hours? Seriously? You might as well just watch the intro cutscene and turn the console off.

Phil, playing games that you have a bias against and have spoken out as not wanting to touch should NEVER be a patreon goal. It makes you look like someone who will betray your own beliefs for a few bucks, and it'll probably piss off a whole bunch of the people who pop their head in to watch when you shit on the games they love.

• Upvote 2
  • Phil locked this topic