The King of Hate Forums

Patreon Perk Suggesions Thread

First, thanks all for your suggestions as I'm taking them into consideration. This thread is helping a lot.

Second, some people are missing the point. People have been asking to donate for years and I've always said no. The Patreon thing is a way for those people to contribute and get something cool out of it. This is not going to be "Phil makes a new high-quality video series exclusively for Patreon Members" or anything like that. As I've said, I don't want there to be a paywall behind my videos; everyone should eventually be able to see them. Time-releasing them to Patreons first, however, could be interesting.

Third, I'm reading all ridiculous self-entitled things like "this means Phil needs to work even HARDER, edit even MORE, and be on time for streams!" and laughing pretty hard, so keep it up. It's pretty obvious that if you're of this mentality the Patreon program is NOT for you, lol.

Lastly: sadly, all of the ideas relating to live chats/Skype talks etc. are not going to work out. After I was DDOSed last week, I did research and found that it's INCREDIBLY EASY to find out someone's IP address just by knowing the name of someone who's currently online on Skype. It's THAT Much of a security hole, and I was ridiculously surprised and appalled. Even if I were to make a new Skype account, chances are someone would pay just to get in there, find the name, get my IP and continue to attack me. So unless someone knows a method to do online discussions without using Skype/revealing an IP, this is going to be out of the realm of consideration. Sorry, because actually this was one of the biggest things I was considering before the DDOS attacks.

Please carry on with your suggestions and thanks again!

​They may not be the coolest methods but there's many alternatives to Skype which isn;t the be all and end all of Q&A's. Hangouts or debates.  Things like Ventrilo and TS. Yes they're not the latest thing but neither is irc.  There;s no need to dismiss ideas just because one method, in this case Skype, could possibly cause issues.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's what I'd really like from the patreon campaign: transparency. You've been shaping the past to fit your narrative for the past few weeks and it's getting to be gross. Views did not decrease une

This topic is for discussing ideas for Phil's Patreon if he decides to create one, not for voicing your drama. Stay on topic please. :| Perhaps some of the higher tiers would involve a meet and greet

Dunno he doesn't have a Patreon yet, and both darksydephil and dspgaming have been registered as troll accounts. I kinda wish he would bring back his PO box so he could do videos of stuff he receives

Posted Images

​They may not be the coolest methods but there's many alternatives to Skype which isn;t the be all and end all of Q&A's. Hangouts or debates.  Things like Ventrilo and TS. Yes they're not the latest thing but neither is irc.  There;s no need to dismiss ideas just because one method, in this case Skype, could possibly cause issues.

​Yes, Teamspeak is an EXCELLENT option. 

Are Ventrilo/TS safe? Would anyone even want to use them? Because the last thing I'd want to do is have my first Patreon discussion = a hunt for my IP. If the programs are older, they may be even more unsafe?

Third, I'm reading all ridiculous self-entitled things like "this means Phil needs to work even HARDER, edit even MORE, and be on time for streams!" and laughing pretty hard, so keep it up. It's pretty obvious that if you're of this mentality the Patreon program is NOT for you, lol.

​As I am one of those people, maybe the only one, who said that I feel like I should respond.  In essence are you saying you want to do the same amount of work you do now but rake in extra money for it?    If you think the idea of you working harder is 'self enttilement' then that is what you are saying, it must be.  What incentive is there for anyone to donate money for the same amount of content they get currently for free?  Like I said giving only early access won't cut it and people won;t want to donate in numbers, that's just common sense.  If the most money for the least effort is what you have planned then I say go for it, one of us has to be right don't we?

• Upvote 2

Are Ventrilo/TS safe? Would anyone even want to use them? Because the last thing I'd want to do is have my first Patreon discussion = a hunt for my IP. If the programs are older, they may be even more unsafe?

​The only person that can see IP's is the Admin, so only you, unless you give Admin to other people. Basically how TS works is it connects to a server, and all voice traffic goes through that server not your PC, so only way they could get IP's is to either hack the TS server and look at the logs, or if there a admin.

I used TeamSpeak waaaay back in the day when I used to raid like nuts in WoW. Its pretty safe to use as far as I am concerned. You just need to make a server and all that. You can also make multiple rooms (like a room for the admins [and add passwords for rooms like these too], a room for the patreons, a room for people who just wanna chat... You get it by now)

​I'm sorry you think this is laughable, but this IS something that needs to be considered. Your tardiness with regard to your streams is well known (whether it's your fault or not) and if you are saying that you will have special streams/teamspeak sessions with your Patreon contributors at certain times each week and then turn up late for these sessions, you are diminishing the value of this perk. If you are putting aside say 2 hours for a Patreon session and turn up half an hour late, the donation has instantly lost 25% of its value.

Even if you are going to 'laugh' at people who think you should be compelled to stick to your own schedules for normal streams, your track records means you MUST commit yourself to following Patreon related content schedules so that you are nor reneging on your own promises.

• Upvote 3

This topic is for discussing ideas for Phil's Patreon if he decides to create one, not for voicing your drama. Stay on topic please. :|

Perhaps some of the higher tiers would involve a meet and greet with Phil? I wouldn't mind getting an autograph or something at a future con like E3. I think I missed him the last time he was there.

I just don't see what Phil could offer in the long term for Patreon, the Q&A's are only gonna be interesting for a few weeks/months, it's gonna get old after awhile since there's only so much you can ask someone. I suppose he could play games (like minecraft for example) for money, but I can only imagine how angry It would make someone to see him insult and shit over a game they PAID him to play, so i don't see that lasting long either. I just don't see what there is to offer.

• Upvote 1

To be fair, a majority (thought not all) of the posts deleted were part of an off-topic argument over Phil's mindset regarding "donations".  Not exactly constructive to the topic at hand...

In any case, I have a serious, on-topic question.  This may have been asked or explained already, but I didn't see it, so... what would the basis for Phil's Patreon be; what would be his project or projects?  I ask because Patreon and its ilk are generally there to assist people in making their projects a reality, but given what Phil does and has been doing for some time, it doesn't seem like he really needs to be funded.

As of right now, Phil has been streaming and making content for his YouTube channel for free since 2009.  Would Phil having a Patreon suddenly mean that a certain group of people would be paying to keep flowing the same content that they've been getting for free for years?  And if that's the case, what would he do if he didn't meet his monthly goal?  Not stream for the month to follow?

If he were going to start a serious Patreon page, there would need to be some unique incentive to fund him... otherwise it's just a case of "same great content, now with a price tag!"  Ultimately though, it's up to him to figure out what to do with his Patreon, but if he doesn't come up with something people find interesting enough to fund, he may as well just keep doing what he's been doing...

If fans wanted to donate money to him all these years I'm sure a lot of them won't even care about what they get for throwing money at him.

As for what really is worth giving him money for, I don't really see anything.I mean early access and chatting with him??Not really...

Playing a certain game,fan appreciation...All those things were for free like Joseph said. Project 7 early access?Well that will build a wall between Phil and people who can't donate to him.

So...

Since a thread for Patreon criticisms now exists, anyone want to keep up with the POSITIVE, CONSTRUCTIVE suggestions? And keep that stuff out of here? Because that's what I need to know right now. It's not a matter of "should Phil do Patreon," it's a matter of "when he does use it, what could he offer his audience?" as I outlined in the first post of this thread, which many people obviously didn't read.

In addition, to clear up a misconception: Patreon is not Kickstarter. You're not contributing money in the expectation that a certain project or something new/different is going to be made, or the expectation of delivery on a product. Patreon is a play on "Patron of the arts" which means you appreciate the artistic vision/content of someone and want to support them to continue to create. Just because I'm going to start using Patreon does not mean I have to change the style of my content and/or completely start up a new project or series.

Incidentally, I AM starting/restarting new projects/series soon (Project 7, new Movie-related series, and considering restarting Smark Guys in the coming weeks). So if you actually did want to make the justification that becoming a Patreon of my content allows me to play less games and focus more on these style of series, you can. 

Now please, carry on here with positive/constructive suggestions of things I could do to reward Patreons, and keep your negative/pointless reasons for me not doing it out of here. Thanks.

Oh yeah - if TeamSpeak IS secure I'd consider it. I'm just incredibly nervous as everyone thought Skype was secure too until I was shown this service/exploit that reveals IPs. So I'd need some major convincing before I would adopt it, but it's not out of the question.

• Upvote 4

Hey, Phil.  That "exploit" you're talking about?  If it's the one I just looked up, it was apparently patched back in 2013.  It's not to say another exploit hasn't been found by now, but the one fro 2012/2013 definitely has.
It's also worth mentioning that it's possible to get a user's IP address through TeamSpeak and possibly Mumble., seemingly through hacked clients and the sort.  Nothing's "100% safe" in terms of Internet VoIP, or really, anything on the Internet I suppose.  Some things are just more secure than others.

Just figured I'd toss that out there.

you could give away items on his Cafe Press Page and also have a Patreon Teamspeak Server for all the people who has given him somthing can come on there and talk amongst each other and you if u have free time as well, It would be great fan appreciation time too.

I fine with the Patreon idea. I do think that people who provide Phil money via Patreon will receive some exclusive benefits (talk with DSP via a chat service, sneak peeks at a future episode of Project 7); it's difficult to avoid doing. When he starts Patreon, he should obviously keep these benefits down to a minimum. Depending on the content, I think Phil there should be a grace period no longer than a week for posting Patreon-priority content on his channels.

Hey, Phil.  That "exploit" you're talking about?  If it's the one I just looked up, it was apparently patched back in 2013.  It's not to say another exploit hasn't been found by now, but the one fro 2012/2013 definitely has.
It's also worth mentioning that it's possible to get a user's IP address through TeamSpeak and possibly Mumble., seemingly through hacked clients and the sort.  Nothing's "100% safe" in terms of Internet VoIP, or really, anything on the Internet I suppose.  Some things are just more secure than others.

Just figured I'd toss that out there.

The Skype exploit isn't what you're thinking (I knew about that one too); there are now multiple websites that, if you just know the name of the person on Skype, you can find their IP when they go online regardless of the fact if they have it publicly listed/hidden in the program or not. I tested this and it works, and it's INCREDIBLY easy to use and a huge security flaw. So I could try to do my first Patreon Skype chat and WHAM, someone has my IP and takes it down within minutes......then continues to take down my streams just to be malicious.

Bah, it really sucks if you can get that stuff through all VOIP. This was never an issue until last week. Who would have thought that someone that gets a couple hundred people on stream would be WORTH DDOS'ing, but I guess that's the state of the planet we now live on.

• Upvote 1

you could give away items on his Cafe Press Page and also have a Patreon Teamspeak Server for all the people who has given him somthing can come on there and talk amongst each other and you if u have free time as well, It would be great fan appreciation time too.

​I almost never talk about this, but the Cafepress page isn't free. I don't own any of the products on there, I Just uploaded some logos etc. and the website makes the majority of profits; I only make like, $1 per item bought on there. So I can't give away Cafepress merch because it'd mean ME spending some $15-20 per item, in which case it negates the Patreon donations anyway!

• Upvote 2

​I almost never talk about this, but the Cafepress page isn't free. I don't own any of the products on there, I Just uploaded some logos etc. and the website makes the majority of profits; I only make like, $1 per item bought on there. So I can't give away Cafepress merch because it'd mean ME spending some $15-20 per item, in which case it negates the Patreon donations anyway!

​Ah I see didnt know about
Thanks for the heads up about Cafe Press info about it

What if whenever there is a giveaway Patreon supporters get extra entries proportional to how much money they are supporting. For example, if somebody is giving $5 a month they get 5 entries into the giveaway. It would increase their chances to win but still allow everybody to participate. I don't know how hard this would be to implement but its just an idea I thought of.

Also I've heard that right now only moderators can have or see signatures on these forums. Maybe you can make it so one of the perks of being a Patreon supporter would be to get access to signatures on these forums. I think it would be a cool little perk even if its just a visual thing, sort of like the custom emotes for Twitch subscribers.

I know you stopped taking callers for Hate Live but I was thinking what if you could start ending the show with a little segment where you do a quick Q&A with your Patreon supporters, answering any quick questions they might have about the topics you covered in that Hate Live? I'm not sure how hard this would be to implement either. Maybe you'd have to find a way to set up a separate "Patreon-only" chat room or something like that, similar to how you could set things to subscriber-only mode back on Twitch.

Finally, I'm not sure if PandaLee is still making soaps but if she's up for it maybe you can send a complimentary custom soap to supporters who pledge over a certain amount of money. Just another idea.

• Upvote 1
  • Phil locked this topic