The King of Hate Forums
xtreemmasheen3k2

Suggestion: Is 60 fps for vlogs really necessary?

Phil has said he has issues with longer videos uploading onto youtube and processing, etc. Now, I've been using Chrome over Firefox more recently, and I just noticed that the last Hate LIve had a 60FPS option. One thing that might help with vlogs is the fact that they don't necessarily have to be 60 fps. They're vlogs. I personally don't think 60 fps really adds much to the vlog-viewing experience, compared to the Gameplay experience. A lot of Youtubers who have 60 fps setups for gameplay still just do vlogs in XSPLIT at 30 fps, just because it's easier.

So I ask Phil, would you say that 60 fps vlogs are really worth the huge increase in file size for longer videos like Hate Live? Is it worth monitoring uploads for longer and hoping they process correctly? 60 fps files are big, and they do take up a lot of space. Leaving the vlogs at 30 fps could help with that.

Now, I say this as someone who preferred Phil cutting out the breaks in Hate Live. I download and listen to Hate Live on my phone, and I don't enjoy the breaks while I'm driving because i often listen to his vlogs while driving.

Just a suggestion to consider. I'm not bothered by 60 fps vlogs, but I'm just suggesting that leaving them at 30 could be easier for Phil.

Edited by xtreemmasheen3k2

I personally don't care if they are 30 or 60fps, I generally just listen to vlogs on the way to work. However I can appreciate the fact that he's putting the effort in to upgrade his hardware and improve on his videos, seems to come down to personal preference.

• Upvote 1

People still use firefox? 

​#TeamChromeRepresent

If Phil was, for example, on vacation or something and he was showing off the sights and everything, where there's a lot going on, 60fps would definitely make it look better. For his usual stuff at home and Hate Live, Week In Preview, etc., it'd probably be best to stick with 30fps for those. I won't speak for everyone, but I doubt there's a huge demand for high-frame-rate-couch-sitting action.

My honest opinion on him wanting a new camera. Its worthless & waste of money. You DON'T need a camera to run at 1080p with 60fps in a vlog style video. If he's so concern about improving his kontent(been in MK X Mood), then why doesn't he start editing some of his playthroughs. Now i know when i post this comment i will get alot of flack & shit but face it, it's 2015 & he knows he barely has an audience. So why not change the formula just a tiny bit & start editing some stuff within the playthrough. I don't mean make it high edited stuff but edit out SOME(that's the keyword here S...O...M...E) for example, The back tracking could be taken out in some areas but leave only certain things in, the repeated deaths could be edited with to make the viewer laugh adding some sound effect or adding a video clip that makes sense with that certain part. But he has the mindset of if i would edit my playthroughs they need to be high edited stuff...That's where he is wrong. He has a following enough to watch anything(well, mostly anything) he puts out. If he starts changing his attitude & slowly edits some things within his playthrough then he would get some viewers to come back despite the past events that has happened.

I know commented about other things within the post but i just needed to get it off my chest & it kinda leads with the original post is asking.

• Upvote 2

My 2 cents on the matter is that it seems superfluous to record vlogs at such a setting in my opinion. It is just him sitting on his couch talking whatever the video is about. There isn't much going on other than him occasionally moving around when he speaks. That's it. While the need to upgrade is appreciated, It is just fine without the need of 1080p and 60FPS camera recording the footage. Especially since it could be diluted down to something you could hear on the side while you are doing other things like KGhaleon mentioned.

Whether the vlogs are at 30 or 60fps isn't really that big a deal, but I certainly wouldn't go about discouraging 60fps either.  Also, the camera he wants isn't just for vlogs, it would also be used for Project 7, namely to make the green screen footage infinitely more clearer.  As you may have noticed, the green screen test footage released recently looks grainy on his current cam.  Nothing wrong with using the same camera for vlogs as well, it's an added bonus.

I find it to be a pretty absurd notion that people expect entertainers to use inferior equipment because "how fucking dare they have and use money".  I would have thought an audience would be applauding entertainers for wanting to upgrade their equipment and quality standards to better the product for them.  I remember catching shit from people for wanting to get a new PC because my old one was slowly dying, but some people insisted that my old computer was just fine, regardless of the fact that I lost two RAM ports, the motherboard was highly outdated and the case was falling apart.

• Upvote 1

I don't think that's the point being made here: upgrading your equipment is different discussion than the one being discussed here. This is a misunderstanding involving normal vlogs to the real purpose with the new camera for project 7

I find it to be a pretty absurd notion that people expect entertainers to use inferior equipment because "how fucking dare they have and use money".  I would have thought an audience would be applauding entertainers for wanting to upgrade their equipment and quality standards to better the product for them.

​While there's definitely a vocal minority who simply think Phil shouldn't upgrade to a new camera just because, I think the main issue some people may have is that maybe they feel Phil hasn't made full use of the equipment he currently has, whether it's a camera, a microphone, or whatever--taking time to do audio/video tests, trying some post-processing in Premiere, and seeing what works and what doesn't, before he comes to the conclusion of "I know for sure that I won't be able to effectively do [x] unless I upgrade to a better version."

12 minutes ago, Phil said:

Who revived this thread? I haven't filmed a vlog in 60fps in years, LOL

WHAT!? Did you not hear what ThatDogGuy said? He LOVES 60FPS vlogs. It's a necessity that he to get exactly what he wants!

30 minutes ago, Nich2440 said:

WHAT!? Did you not hear what ThatDogGuy said? He LOVES 60FPS vlogs. It's a necessity that he to get exactly what he wants!

On my browser it says Eugene revived the thread. Bugged reading mechanics right? :wink:

Edited by Amityville

16 minutes ago, Amityville said:

On my browser it says Eugene revived the thread. Bugged reading mechanics right? :wink:

I didn't say TDG was the one who revived it. So right back at you I guess?

7 minutes ago, Nich2440 said:

I didn't say TDG was the one who revived it. So right back at you I guess?

Do you know what implying means? Guess not.

Anyway, you guys should get back on topic.

60fps doesnt matter to me. In fact I mostly listen to DSP's vlogs on YT at work so couldn't care if they're 60 or 30fps lol. He talks a good game.

Edited by Amityville

1 hour ago, Nich2440 said:

That's a comeback I'd expect to hear at recess on the playground.

You could always change your name again if you don't like being answered back to, TraditionalGames.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Amityville said:

Do you know what implying means? Guess not.

I didn't imply jack shit.

50 minutes ago, DingDongWong said:

You could always change your name again if you don't like being answered back to, TraditionalGames.

Do you seriously only post to bring up my past?

• Upvote 1