The King of Hate Forums
Static Veins

Your GOTY 2014?

2014 is behind us now, but what was your game of the year?

Unfortunately it was pretty slim pickings this year, IMO, with many games failing to live up to expectations and even fewer managing to hold my attention all that much. But there were a few diamonds in the rough.

My GOTY is Dragon Age: Inquisition. It's a game I haven't even finished yet, but its expansive world, engaging characters and story, and sheer amount of varied content has kept it in my PS4 for 40+ hours now and it continues to draw me in every time I play it. I'm a huge Dragon Age fan, so I'm happy the series has clawed itself back from the flawed Dragon Age II.

Other games I'd rank highly this year are Wolfenstein: The New Order, inFAMOUS: Second Son and Destiny.

Here's to a 2015 that hopefully holds a greater selection of high quality games!

Edited by Static Veins

If I had to chose one it would have to be Dark Souls 2, with Wolfenstein and Far Cry 4 as runner ups. Also worth mentioning: Metro Last Light Redux, Telltale Game Of Thrones & Telltale The Walking Dead.

But there has been a huge lack of good rpgs lately. Perhaps I'm just being nostalgic but I haven't played anything as good as the Gothic games for quite a while. Gothic 1, 2 and 3 by Piranha Bytes were great, its a shame they fucked up with Risen.

My Game of the year is Forza Horizon 2 seeing as I only bought 3 games this year. Watch Dogs never finished and The Crew very fustrating. The cops is what did it. I did beat The Crew but the cops are OP. 

My Game of the year is Forza Horizon 2 seeing as I only bought 3 games this year. Watch Dogs never finished and The Crew very fustrating. The cops is what did it. I did beat The Crew but the cops are OP. 

​I keep thinking of picking up Forza Horizon 2. Enjoyed the hell out of the demo. Think I might hold out for Project CARS in March though, since that seems to be shaping up to be the racing game to end all racing games.

1. Sunset Overdrive
  2. Wolfenstein The New Order
  3. South Park The Stick of Truth

That about it really... 2014 kinda sucked. 2015 is looking so much better though.

Also I thought Watch Dogs was alright.  I can understand why people who bought into the hype were pissed off, but I went in having payed no attention to any of it and I thought it was a fun experience. Not GOTY material by any means though.

Have yet to get past the tutorial on Dragon Age: Inquisition, so I cannot even consider the game, unfortunately.  Other than this year's iterations of sports games, the only other game I thoroughly enjoyed was Dark Souls II. 

Dark souls 2. The lore has always fascinated me since Dark Souls 1.  The upcoming games I am looking forward to is The Order, Bloodborne and Deep Down.

I haven't played Far Cry IV yet, but as of right now, my GOTY is Shadow of Mordor. It was a really good game that didn't get overhyped, which helped it. It basically blended two things that I love, Assassins Creed with LOTR. 

Thought about it for a while and I ended up going with Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair for the Vita. While I also loved the first game and played a lot of good games this year nothing really got me as emotionally invested in its world quite like Danganronpa 2 did. The OST is also absolutely terrific. Between the great characters, dialogue, music, setting, and gameplay (though its quite basic) I didn't enjoy another game in 2014 quite as much as Danganronpa 2.

The Binding of Isaac Rebirth just based on hours played. ~ 200 in the last 2 months.  :D

I can't remember the last time I played a game that much in such a short time span.  I love it, the replay value is insane.

Well I have 3 games that I would give game of the year but my picks are a little weird aside from one which everyone seemed to agree was a surprise hit. Shadows of Mordor is one of my 3 games of the year, It's really fun, it's in the LotR verse and the nemesis system is genuinely clever.

My second is the Ratchet and Clank Trilogy on PSVita, I have always loved the ratchet and clank games and was quite happy to play the first 3 over again as for why it's one of my 3 games of the year well the gameplay still holds up to this day and lets face it this year was pretty weak for gaming.

I just want to throw in an honorable mention for Watch Dogs as I very much enjoyed the game but I think it's story could have been more original and the hacking I wish had been more varied/complex.

And controversially my third pick for GOTY is Destiny. Yea I know the game that has no story repetitive gameplay and an annoying, monotone floating robot but Destiny is the game I sunk the most time into this year purely because of how good it felt for me personally to grind for hours on end and be rewarded with some cool new weapon or armor piece and the raids are bloody amazing.

So I enjoyed this year of gaming but I really hope next year has games that surprise us as much as Shadows of Mordor did and the AAA games we know will please (Uncharted 4!) come out on time and live up to expectations.

I just want to throw in an honorable mention for Watch Dogs as I very much enjoyed the game but I think it's story could have been more original and the hacking I wish had been more varied/complex.

And to think some news outlet or whatever it was had said that Watch Dogs teaches players how to hack. :tongue:

• Upvote 1

'Infamous: Second Son' is my Game of the Year for 2014.

- The graphics were gorgeous, and showed some of the 'PlayStation 4''s graphics capability.

- The gameplay was enjoyable (I didn't find it to be boring and repetitive as I would've expected it to be.)

- Replay value: The ability to play 'Infamous: Second Son' in two semi-different ways (Good & Evil Karma) made me want to replay it again.

Dark souls 2, beat that game several times and my last run was on SL1.

Bloodborne approacheth.

• Upvote 1