The King of Hate Forums
joestacos2

how can i plug my N64 to my Vizio tv? what's going wrong?

my N64 is up and running (and plugged correctly) but  the video is not showing the game and show instead "No Signal!"

i need help on fixing it so i can play my games again, like do i need a converter box or what exactly

thx in advance

-Joestacos2

Go to AV-C input and you can play old Standard Definition consoles. That's what I use for my Gamecube and Wii.

Edited by placxs

i put it in AV mode, yet still the same

the weird thing is that it works for Wii and my PS2, yet not the N64

​strange, are you sure it's hooked up correct? just saying.

it could be the game, did you blow in the cart and reinsert it?

Edited by Darksphere92

​strange, are you sure it's hooked up correct? just saying.

it could be the game, did you blow in the cart and reinsert it?

​yeah, it's in the correct way

it would still show the game (even though it might be glitched), my prob is that it doesn't have signal to the video

​unplugged then plugged it in again, still nothing

can a converter box to HDMI help?

​yeah that might work, if you can find one, any idea if it's just the cable messed up?

Yeah probably just going to have to find another way to make it work. 

​i mean that the signal isn't new enough, like a PS2; that was around when LCD TVs were introduced; but the N64 wasn't; which is why i hope maybe a converter box can help

I'm assuming you're using composite? If so you may want to try using your coaxial port or vice versa. That said there are other ways to hook up your N64 so you may want to specifically specify which connectors you are trying to use. If you go through coaxial you should get a signal even though it would be lesser quality.

http://www.amazon.com/RFU-Adapter-Nintendo-64-Game-System/dp/B00000K4TV/ref=pd_sim_63_1/189-8620862-9831034?ie=UTF8&refRID=1W23ZM8SDYZ3504DM2PE

You can do composite to HDMI but you require a (reliable) $20+ CDN box for something that will not give you better quality and take up a power plug/USB port. I'd try coaxial first given the very low comparable price. An upscaled composite signal on a HDTV will be low quality regardless. I have used coaxial signals on a native 1080p display before and the signal is good enough. Also the N64 worked quite well over coaxial (that is how I played all of my consoles before owning a PS2). 

http://www.amazon.ca/niceEshop-White-Composite-Converter-Adapter/dp/B00FPFPBOA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1433014880&sr=8-1&keywords=composite+to+hdmi

When shopping be careful about the input and output. You can get HDMI to composite boxes too which you do not want. You need composite female to HDMI male (if the box has cables dangling) or a composite input and a HDMI output.

Note: Again I am assuming you are trying to use composite and not component, etc, etc. I am not sure how you received your N64 so adjust for whatever connection you would like to use coming from your N64.

P.S. It is possible that the N64 simply doesn't output a signal anymore and if that is the case no cable will help you. If you have a CRT to hook up to I'd try that using the appropriate connection if you continue to have problems. If it does not work you are likely out of luck.

Edited by Superskull85

I have a 40 something inch TCL LCD 1080p hd TV and my N64 works great on it.

I plugged it into the RGB ports, plugging the yellow plug into the green port and then plugging the red and white into the audio ports. It did not work at first and as stated earlier in this thread I had to switch it to AV mode, then it worked like a charm (Widescreen too!)

Besides maybe getting a specialized adapter as suggested, you ma just have non-functioning parts, like the cords inputs may be damaged and not making contact or getting power through them. So your N64 might just be broke.

If you are using the Component plugs (Yellow, red, white plugs), just do as previously stated, unless the cord itself or the n64 is broken it should work after you put the tv in the correct mode.

wait are the av cords [ the wires connecting the n64 to the tv] the same as the av cords on the ps2? [ yellow, white, red] if so try switching them over and see if it works. [ it is possible  the N64 av cord  is damaged]