The King of Hate Forums
Static Veins

Splatoon Playthrough Discussion (Troll Free Edition)

The difference between Splatoon and any other games that come incomplete, is that Splatoon did not come out incomplete. Nintendo has handled DLC the best out of everyone in the gaming industry so far. With Mario Kart 8, they added 6 new characters and 16 new tracks AFTER the game was released. For Smash bros, they added Mewtwo and now Lucas later this month AFTER the development of the game. In Splatoon, they are adding new content every single week AFTER the game's development was complete. See a trend here? As far as I know, Nintendo doesn't release incomplete games like Destiny, Halo: Master Cheif Collection. Splatoon comes with hardly, to no "bugs" or crashes that seem seem to be the norm with gaming these days. If Splatoon was a Sony or Microsoft title, you can bet your ass they would charge you for all those extra weapons and maps, like CoD. Nintendo, however, is doing it for free and its not like they are hiding content on the disk. They are constantly adding new content for the game outside the first development of the game. 

At this point, I feel like I'm repeating myself, so I'll just end it with this: Splatoon is nowhere near an incomplete game. Outside of a few good gaming devs, Nintendo is one of the companies that has dealt with DLC perfectly. Never hiding content on the disk  or any of the BS that we get from Sony/Microsoft games. If you don't want to play Splatoon right now, that's fine, just wait till August/September and buy the game.

​Incomplete is the wrong word to use. It's more of a case of the value you get for your money. Even after Nintendo have rolled out all the free DLC, the end product will still only resemble a newly released CoD/Battlefield/whatever in terms of content. CoD: AW came with 14 maps and 14 game modes and cost the same amount of money as Splatoon on release + a comprehensive 4-5 hour single player campaign + Zombies mode.

Yes, Nintendo has handled DLC well with Mario Kart in particular, but there's simply no way around the fact that Splatoon is a very bare-bones game on release and for the foreseeable future. Don't get me wrong, it's well polished, looks great and plays well, but I'm not sure the quality here is enough to justify the lack of quantity.

​Incomplete is the wrong word to use. It's more of a case of the value you get for your money. Even after Nintendo have rolled out all the free DLC, the end product will still only resemble a newly released CoD/Battlefield/whatever in terms of content. CoD: AW came with 14 maps and 14 game modes and cost the same amount of money as Splatoon on release + a comprehensive 4-5 hour single player campaign + Zombies mode.

Yes, Nintendo has handled DLC well with Mario Kart in particular, but there's simply no way around the fact that Splatoon is a very bare-bones game on release and for the foreseeable future. Don't get me wrong, it's well polished, looks great and plays well, but I'm not sure the quality here is enough to justify the lack of quantity.

​Fair point xD I feel that if Nintendo does release another Splatoon type game they should, for sure, add more game modes than just turf war and 2 maps every 4 hours. The game is far from perfect and I do understand those that wonder if Splatoon is really worth 60 dollars or not.

Whether dlc be free or $1000 im tired of games like this coming out that are not worth the money at launch. You can pay $60 for like 3 maps and 2 game modes or wait till everything is finally released and get the game for $20 when that happens. Its a cheap way to have people keep playing the game over a long period of time. No doubt in my mind they had everything complete but withheld it from launch just to act like its dlc

No doubt in my mind they had everything complete but withheld it from launch just to act like its dlc

​They did not. They're still working on content.

​They did not. They're still working on content.

​This game was meant to be played for by kids as that is their target audience but kids dont know what theyre doing or what dlc even is. They think this game has nothing im bored I wont play anymore. And even those who know it comes out on a weekly basis Nintendo should have waited another few months and release it during the dry gaming season of summer where it had plenty of more content from launch and more people would have bought it since no games come out then

​This game was meant to be played for by kids as that is their target audience but kids dont know what theyre doing or what dlc even is. They think this game has nothing im bored I wont play anymore. And even those who know it comes out on a weekly basis Nintendo should have waited another few months and release it during the dry gaming season of summer where it had plenty of more content from launch and more people would have bought it since no games come out then

​You know this game is actually very successful, right? It sold at 6 digit figures in Japan, which most games don't do. It was 2nd in sales behind Witcher 3 in the UK. I don't know the U.S. sales, but it's obviously pretty good if it only took a weekend before enough people reached lvl 10 for ranked battles to unlock. So I don't think waiting a couple of months would've changed anything.

​You know this game is actually very successful, right? It sold at 6 digit figures in Japan, which most games don't do. It was 2nd in sales behind Witcher 3 in the UK. I don't know the U.S. sales, but it's obviously pretty good if it only took a weekend before enough people reached lvl 10 for ranked battles to unlock. So I don't think waiting a couple of months would've changed anything.

​Destiny was successful doesnt mean its still a great game lol

Destiny was successful because it was severely overhyped, while Splatoon was successful because they showed how fun the game can be without overhyping it with many borderline lying commercials and trailers.

Destiny was successful because it was severely overhyped, while Splatoon was successful because they showed how fun the game can be without overhyping it with many borderline lying commercials and trailers.

​Eh, Destiny found an audience that stuck with it - a TON of people still play the game. That's certainly not because of hype; the hype has evaporated at this point.

Destiny is like a pseudo MMO for people who're too busy to play a real MMO. They gather up a few friends and "raid", do daily quests and the likes. It's got all the trappings of a modern MMO but in a shooter settings with pretty solid mechanics, but it requires like a 3rd of your time compared to WoW/FFXIV/Tera etc.

Completely disagree w/ the Destiny/Splatoon comparison - because they ARE the same.

Destiny succeeded bc of MASSIVE overhype/overadvertisement/marketing that blatantly lied about what it was. So many people bought it (and bought into the hype) that they just kept playing it regardless of the media backlash after release. Most of the people playing Destiny today never played a real MMO and have no idea what they're missing.

Splatoon succeeded BECAUSE it's a 1st-party Nintendo game. Do you HONESTLY think that if SPlatoon were 3rd party, cross-platform and released bare-bones w/the promise of "future free dlc as we make it" that anybody would have bought it? NO. But because it's a 1st-party Nintendo title, EVERYBODY gives Nintendo the benefit of the doubt. ALSO keep in mind: there's been nothing out on Wii U in ages, so everybody who has one wanted something to play.

Splatoon's popularity has nothing whatsoever to do with "showing the game was fun before it released," lol. That's some incredible Nintendo fanboy blinders there.

Completely disagree w/ the Destiny/Splatoon comparison - because they ARE the same.

Destiny succeeded bc of MASSIVE overhype/overadvertisement/marketing that blatantly lied about what it was. So many people bought it (and bought into the hype) that they just kept playing it regardless of the media backlash after release. Most of the people playing Destiny today never played a real MMO and have no idea what they're missing.

Splatoon succeeded BECAUSE it's a 1st-party Nintendo game. Do you HONESTLY think that if SPlatoon were 3rd party, cross-platform and released bare-bones w/the promise of "future free dlc as we make it" that anybody would have bought it? NO. But because it's a 1st-party Nintendo title, EVERYBODY gives Nintendo the benefit of the doubt. ALSO keep in mind: there's been nothing out on Wii U in ages, so everybody who has one wanted something to play.

Splatoon's popularity has nothing whatsoever to do with "showing the game was fun before it released," lol. That's some incredible Nintendo fanboy blinders there.

Phil, ​that's pure speculation if Splatoon would have been as successful as it is if it was released on multiplatform. Nobody knows. 

I have a  better question for you: why do you think that it not be as as successful as it is - if it was released on multiplatform? 

​Did you not see the Awareness campaign and promotions of Splatoon? That is the reason it became successful

​Destiny has found an audience even IN the games media. Plenty of known video game personalities still play the game, and they're sure as shit not doing it for the money as they're playing it in their free time. Ironically, most of the people playing it (that I know of) KNOW that the game isn't very good, yet it's got something about it. The core gameplay in Destiny is rock solid as you'd expect from a Bungie game, but the surrounding package is quite dire. Destiny was never going to be the game for you with the way you play games (alone, long sessions, every day). But for a group of friends that get together online 3-4 hours a week, it's a pretty solid package and easy to jump into with persistent rewards for doing so.

Splatoon is succesful because A: New Nintendo IP, and B: It LOOKS fun and is getting good review. It's incredibly polished but lackluster as a $60 package.

18 minutes ago, Cless said:

You think Phil would go back for Splatoon's final splatfest? I doubt it, but I'm curious is all.

I think he took Splatoon back a long time ago. He doesn't own it anymore and no way he's gonna buy it again just for that.

Just now, WazerWifle said:

I think he took Splatoon back a long time ago. He doesn't own it anymore and no way he's gonna buy it again just for that.

True enough. Forgot about that.