The King of Hate Forums
cooper

How often do you watch a lets play in replace of playing a game your self?

Im wondering what everyone else here does but usually for me what i do is there is game i just dont enjoy playing or is to old and ill never finish it i usually watch a lets play. Perfect example for me was silent hill did not enjoy the gameplay of it so instead i just watched dsp's lets play of it on youtube so i can at least get a feel and understanding of the series even if i was unable to play it my self. 

I never play Telltale games, I typically just watch other people like Phil play through them. Feels more like watching a TV show while someone provides commentary, makes it a bit more entertaining.

If it's a game I'm planning to play, I'll only watch the playthrough up until the point where I'm currently at in the game.

Edited by KGhaleon
  • Upvote 1

1) I never watch a PC games but if it's a PC exclusive game then maybe, and only due to that I don't have a PC that can play games.

2) I don't want to experience spoilers so, if it's a game I'm planning to buy and play, I only watch until the point where my character/game is in the game. For example in BloodBorne, I played many hours, then watched Phil reach where I was in the game. And as soon as I noticed him going in another direction or discovering I haven't experienced yet, I stopped watching him. Rinse and repeat the processes. 

Therefore, due to this approach, it's very rare that I watch a little or even a complete playthrough of Phil's videos. And also, I don't have time to watch a complete playthrough. So I have to "pick wisley" which playthrough will be entertaining enough, and since I love the From Software games and I've seen Phil's playthrough of Dark Souls a few years a go (after I completed the games first) I knew that it his Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 2 and BloodBorne videos would be really entertaining for me, so it was an easy pick to select these games to watch :)

3) Other than  the above? I'll maybe watch a few videos (not a complete playthrough) NES, SNES, N64 or PlayStation videos that he has done, games that I don't care if I get to see the spoilers or not, due to that they hare not very story driven, so it does not actually bother me at all. 

Never, unless it's some very old game from the 90s or earlier for obvious reasons. I never really watch full playthroughs - I don't see how you could possible have the time to do so if you A: Play games yourself as well and/or B: Have a functioning social life, lol. The only playthroughs I ever watch are of games that have significant twists/decisions and the likes, and I'm curious on what other people chose/their reactions.

Seriously though, why would I spend 60+ hours watching DSP play Persona 4 or Witcher 3? I just.. I can't see how you could possible have the time to do so, unless you're an introverted teenager. That's not meant as an insult, it's just baffling to me and I've brought it up before. Even Phil expects there to be a big audience for 10+ hours of footage. Like, I could spend 60 hours on a Witcher 3 playthrough, or I could go drinking with my friend, watch a couple of movies with my SO, do some schoolwork , play a good amount of hours of games myself and STILL have time to spare.

• Upvote 2

Never, unless it's some very old game from the 90s or earlier for obvious reasons. I never really watch full playthroughs - I don't see how you could possible have the time to do so if you A: Play games yourself as well and/or B: Have a functioning social life, lol. The only playthroughs I ever watch are of games that have significant twists/decisions and the likes, and I'm curious on what other people chose/their reactions.

Seriously though, why would I spend 60+ hours watching DSP play Persona 4 or Witcher 3? I just.. I can't see how you could possible have the time to do so, unless you're an introverted teenager. That's not meant as an insult, it's just baffling to me and I've brought it up before. Even Phil expects there to be a big audience for 10+ hours of footage. Like, I could spend 60 hours on a Witcher 3 playthrough, or I could go drinking with my friend, watch a couple of movies with my SO, do some schoolwork , play a good amount of hours of games myself and STILL have time to spare.

I dont watch every second of a lets play i usually skip to story or best parts. I dont think dsp cares if you wqtch it all at least for me i watch the critical story momenta or gameplay.

Im sure there are people who watch all of a lets play just because they enjoy it that much im not going to judge them if they rather so that in life than other social things.

Edited by cooper

Eh, for me, it depends on the situation. I want to try to play as many games that interest me as I can. If I'm already subscribed to someone and they start an LP of a game I'm even vaguely interested in, I'll sit down and watch it, see how it goes, maybe even end up buying the game myself if I like what I see. Now, if I'm actively searching for a specific game, I usually look for non-commentated longplays and the like. And in a lot of cases, I watch LPs of games I know I'll never get to play because they're on platforms I don't own.

I rarely watch Let's Plays for the game itself, but there are occasions. At the moment i'm watching Two Best Friends play Bloodborne since I can't play it myself. While the comments are constantly negative because of the hardcore get it perfect fanboys of the game that nit pick at every little thing, I enjoy their reactions and play style of the game.

Edited by Michael
  • Upvote 1

If it's a story driven game that I'm interested in, then I tend to look up a commentary-less playthrough and watch it like that. (Such as Telltale games) In other cases, I just play the games that I want to play.

I never play Telltale games, I typically just watch other people like Phil play through them. Feels more like watching a TV show while someone provides commentary, makes it a bit more entertaining.

If it's a game I'm planning to play, I'll only watch the playthrough up until the point where I'm currently at in the game.

​That's exactly why I think streaming/Having Lets Play of Telltale games are bad....go support the game if you honestly enjoy it. 

As for me, I evade a Lets Play entirely if it is a game I want to play but for whatever reason I don't have the time for...then after I play the game eventually, I watch TIHYDP to see how Phil did with the game and then have a good laugh. Just much more time friendly and convenient, especially for someone like me who is working 9-5 and has an hour half commute home and to the job. 

​That's exactly why I think streaming/Having Lets Play of Telltale games are bad....go support the game if you honestly enjoy it. 

As for me, I evade a Lets Play entirely if it is a game I want to play but for whatever reason I don't have the time for...then after I play the game eventually, I watch TIHYDP to see how Phil did with the game and then have a good laugh. Just much more time friendly and convenient, especially for someone like me who is working 9-5 and has an hour half commute home and to the job. 

​If telltale wanted game sales they should have made a game. At least give it difference outcomes to make it worth playing but no they did not so i dont feel bad at all. There games are just movies being sold at games. 

Edited by cooper

​If telltale wanted game sales they should have made a game. At least give it difference outcomes to make it worth playing but no they did not so i dont feel bad at all. There games are just movies being sold at games. 

​Problem with that thinking is that you are now essentially dictating what and how a game should be played or made. There's a place for point and click games still, just don't get why people actually stream or do lets plays of those. Something like Until Dawn should do wonderfully I mean but I would hate for people to not buy it and opt to just watch it on a few Let plays to see the different paths.

I am cool with any other type of game being lets played or streamed so it isn't so much me being some sort of anti-stream/lets play. 

​Problem with that thinking is that you are now essentially dictating what and how a game should be played or made. There's a place for point and click games still, just don't get why people actually stream or do lets plays of those. Something like Until Dawn should do wonderfully I mean but I would hate for people to not buy it and opt to just watch it on a few Let plays to see the different paths.

I am cool with any other type of game being lets played or streamed so it isn't so much me being some sort of anti-stream/lets play. 

​I can decide what a game is my self because i dont see a difference in playing or watching a telltale game. 

​I can decide what a game is my self because i dont see a difference in playing or watching a telltale game. 

​There are at least quick time events in those games and you get to experiment different outcomes and get different dialogue. 

I get why those games aren't everyone's cup of tea, I just don't think streaming those games is healthy for those games.