The King of Hate Forums

RENAMED: How Phil Can Improve Himself

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, it's time for me to give it a go.  I have a lot to say, and I'm going to be very specific, so bare with me, Phil. On the forums previous to this one, you mentioned I was coming from a closed mi

Y'know what? I'm just gonna be blunt here. The best advice I could possibly give to Phil? Get over yourself. No, that is not an insult. That's some healthy advice in response to you and your attitude

The original thread of this topic was full of intelligent discussion that was constructive and not offensive. Now read the pages of this second thread so far and compare them to the previous one: it's

Posted Images

Woah! What happened since I was last here? Phil closed the thread? You know, at first I thought that you guys just created another thread for a different topic or something, but. Wow. I thought it was going so well too... Well I guess this is something current (can't say past is in the past) and it's also proven. Here's a suggestion. Don't lock threads. 

Woah! What happened since I was last here? Phil closed the thread? You know, at first I thought that you guys just created another thread for a different topic or something, but. Wow. I thought it was going so well too... Well I guess this is something current (can't say past is in the past) and it's also proven. Here's a suggestion. Don't lock threads. 

​Yeah... alot has happened while you were gone Phantasm lol.

​Yeah... alot has happened while you were gone Phantasm lol.​

Yeah, no kidding. This is gonna be the big "drama-filled incident" now huh? Welp, I suppose this shows why people dislike Phil. From the thread it sounded pretty calm to me. That last insult at the end before he closed the thread was incredibly immature, though. I guess I'll be seeing some videos about this in a few days. The thread was pretty on topic in my opinion. The detractors haven't broken any rules, and I'm hoping most of the fans saw it this way too. There was no reason to close the thread. No reason at all. I'm pretty sure no one was angry. Maybe Phil and KG, but I like to think that we stopped talking about him when we realized that it was off-topic.

Still, perhaps KG contributed to DSP's downfall in popularity and public relations? Don't wanna speak for everybody here (we are individuals) but I think we were arguing about the morality of KG and not his effects on DSP. But whatevs, that's behind us. 

​ Welp, I'm going to try my hardest to uphold freedom of speech on this site for as long as I can no matter what Phil does, you can count on that.

​Not really. It's not a freedom of speech issue. If I sprayed the words "lose weight" on a fat person's front door it wouldn't be censoring my freedom of speech if that person decided to clean it off. Think of these boards as Phil's house and the users as his guests, if somebody says something he doesn't like he has every right to tell them to shut up or get out. Phil isn't your mayor. He doesn't need to be some impartial unbiased figure, especially on his own website of all places. Bringing up stuff like "free speech" and comparing him to Kim Jong-Un is laughable. It's really not that serious, guys.

It still boggles my mind. You people seem to have such disdain for Phil, getting frustrated at every move he makes. If Phil locked this thread before, what makes you think he still wants to hear opinions on this? Why are you trying to pile your clearly unwanted advice on a person that has no interest in it? You call him stubborn when in reality your refusal to just move on with your lives makes you some of the most stubborn people I have ever seen. Honest question: is there going to be a point where you finally give up on this crusade? Just curious.

You people act like he is a crack addict and you are trying to save him from his addiction. He is just a guy who plays video games and records it for fun.

• Upvote 5

​Not really. It's not a freedom of speech issue. If I sprayed the words "lose weight" on a fat person's front door it wouldn't be censoring my freedom of speech if that person decided to clean it off. Think of these boards as Phil's house and the users as his guests, if somebody says something he doesn't like he has every right to tell them to shut up or get out. Phil isn't your mayor. He doesn't need to be some impartial unbiased figure, especially on his own website of all places. Bringing up stuff like "free speech" and comparing him to Kim Jong-Un is laughable. It's really not that serious, guys.

It still boggles my mind. You people seem to have such disdain for Phil, getting frustrated at every move he makes. If Phil locked this thread before, what makes you think he still wants to hear opinions on this? Why are you trying to pile your clearly unwanted advice on a person that has no interest in it? You call him stubborn when in reality your refusal to just move on with your lives makes you some of the most stubborn people I have ever seen. Honest question: is there going to be a point where you finally give up on this crusade? Just curious.

You people act like he is a crack addict and you are trying to save him from his addiction. He is a guy who plays video games and records it for fun.

​I'm mainly upset about the people who did have legit criticism and were prevented from doing so. He has all the right to block the people that were leaving messages that were more malicious than helpful, but I feel people that were just giving their 2 cents got punished for it. And that's why I recreated this thread, it seems unfair that the few that did speak out of turn ruined it for the rest of us.

You people act like he is a crack addict and you are trying to save him from his addiction. He is a guy who plays video games and records it for fun.

​But he is like the mayor. He is in public. He exposes himself. This forum is not his, it is the community's. This is not his house, it's the town hall. The users are not his guests. They are his neighbors. Also, we were talking about this censorship issue, which is comparable to a dictator's. It is his choice not to listen to us, however, he has no choice to shut us up. If he didn't want to hear us, why doesn't he just leave it here and forget about it? Not saying he should do it, but he CAN ignore us. 

He is not as simple as that. If he was like that then why don't you just go watch someone else? They would still be playing games, right? Of course personality - wise they would be completely different. But I mean, still someone playing a game for fun. I don't think he is a simple as that. If so, then he would be very selfish. Very selfish, to ignore feedback. Very selfish, to only do it for himself. He is open to criticism. He is a YouTube personality. 

We should just face it that Phil isn't capable of facing negative criticsm about him.. if he gets it, he goes into damage-control mode and starts locking threads/deleting posts etc..

As a man who has a business, he really should listen to the criticsm he gets to improve his product.. in the end, the only reason he has a "big, fancy house" in Washington, the means to buy all the stuff he has and the job he has is because of the people who take the time to watch his content. He should be more appreciative and listen to the people who make all of this possible.

I remember Phil saying that he is "well aware of ways to make his videos more popular" but why doesn't he? It's clear that his views are declining so why don't you adopt the ways? I really don't understand your mentality.

• Upvote 2

I think admitting that he has made a fault in his business would show a weakness of him to the "haters" And he cannot let that happen. I think phil needs someone he can speak with. About his problems and so on...

​The majority of the "haters" are actually just people who give him constructive criticism to make his product better, but in Phil's head he sees it as hating on him. Sure, there are people who just troll him, but there are people who'd like to help him, but Phil isn't capable of seeing that.

My question is cause I am curious of what others would do. If you were placed into Phils shoes what would your first major change or multiple changes be to raise your views back to their original state along with your popularity? Personally for me, I have no idea how I would regain my lost viewership and popularity, what is in the past remains there an cannot be changed, but the present self could be an maybe.. just maybe that would put me on the right track. 

My question is cause I am curious of what others would do. If you were placed into Phils shoes what would your first major change or multiple changes be to raise your views back to their original state along with your popularity?

​That's an interesting thought. I certainly can't imagine what it'd be like to be in his shoes at this point (as often as people play the "jealousy" card, I can assure you--I'd definitely rather be me than DSP).

If I was in in his place, I honestly don't think any changes I could put into place would ever bring me back to that level of popularity he had back in 2011--that was his peak. I guess I would just try to make do with the viewership I have now, try to keep things more positive by not mentioning "haters" and such, and just go from there.

Also, if I was seeing such a huge decline in viewership at that point, I'd definitely consider looking into some other job/career opportunities. I know Phil's pretty adamant about keeping YouTube as his main source of income and doesn't want to make it a side thing again, but I genuinely feel it won't last for long. He's gotta start thinking long-term.

​That's an interesting thought. I certainly can't imagine what it'd be like to be in his shoes at this point (as often as people play the "jealousy" card, I can assure you--I'd definitely rather be me than DSP).

If I was in in his place, I honestly don't think any changes I could put into place would ever bring me back to that level of popularity he had back in 2011--that was his peak. I guess I would just try to make do with the viewership I have now, try to keep things more positive by not mentioning "haters" and such, and just go from there.

Also, if I was seeing such a huge decline in viewership at that point, I'd definitely consider looking into some other job/career opportunities. I know Phil's pretty adamant about keeping YouTube as his main source of income and doesn't want to make it a side thing again, but I genuinely feel it won't last for long. He's gotta start thinking long-term.

​Realistically, is anyone on Youtube hitting the same numbers they hit in 2011? I think the first problem is at the base, a Youtube career is not really sustainable.

If I were in Phil's position, which I really do thank my lucky stars I am not because it is a tough position to be in, I'd first try to improve my image and basically my brand, then try to figure out ways other than just releasing content to create an income. If Phil wants to keep doing Youtube it cannot be his main source of income, I don't know what else that can help outside of getting a normal job, but the harsh reality is, as Youtube gets bigger, it is going to just keep getting harder for a Youtube gamer to actually sustain their income.

I also have seen Phil talking about how he can't get a job like he used to have, but there are several careers out there for people with any degree of education, but that is a discussion best left off for now.

I personally think Phil is at the point where no one can reach him anymore. People have tried to help him with constructive criticism, in ways adult and polite people would do, yet he gave him all the same "haters" treatment. Sure, it is hard to tell someone who feels attacked so easily to try and prevent burping during live stream, but come on, people asked for more respect. Some viewers including me aren't teenagers anymore or even at Phil's age, it's not easy to support someone who treats you like an idiot. But no matter the incident, be it a single commentary or full fledged trolling, Phil jumps on it and creates way too much drama, then he realizes he can't handle it without losing reputation and pulls the brakes by banning/blocking people. And that's pretty sad.

With the intent of breaking this unberable unanimity and perhaps sparking some practical controversly, I will now add my own thoughts to this thread. You see, I actually think Phil was right (though perhaps "justified" is a better term) when he made the decision to lock the other topic. I understand that people are disappointed, since Phil's answer to the idea of a debate was rather cold and unsatisfactionary. However, he did provide a brief, yet clear reasoning behind his reluctance. Maybe it was correct, maybe it was not, I don't know. In fact, I still don't know, because nobody thought to respond to it in a thoughtful manner. Instead, people found it convenient to take advantage of their numbers and create a circlejerk (I apologize for the vulgar term, but I think it's appropriate), in order to reassure themselves and justify the one, true narrative. "Typical Phil! Of course he would refuse! He seems to enjoy ruining his image!" - that's all I've got from the last batch of posts.

There are two crucial things that forums users need to keep in mind in order to lower the risk of such unfortunate incidents happening:

1. Phil is fighting an uphill battle. It's always him versus hundreds (thousands?) of critics. Yes, on this forum he has hired men that help him with moderation, but he doesn't have hired men that would explain things to people - he alone must do the answering. For that alone he deserves minimum sympathy and respect. I would advise any critic of Phil to sit down, think hard and make this one, detailed, quality post that would actually cause him stop and think. Don't mass-produce posts that are essentially scathing jabs devoid of substance. They add very little to the discussion, they derail and bloat any thread at a rapid pace and simply cause irritation for the person that they are directed towards. The truth is, the last thread got annihilated long before it was locked by Phil.

2. Some of you often commit the same mistake that you accuse Phil of. Just as Phil has a habit of unfairly assuming certain things about his critics, so the critics often unfairly assume things about him. When he posted his reply, people simply took it for granted that he refused to have a debate out cowardrice or stubborness. But perhaps Phil indeed witnessed some unpleasant and alarming things that would make him sceptical in regards to the idea? With some patience and thoughtful questioning we could get his full perspective and maybe even get to the root of the problem. Instead, people just...gave up.

Finally, one comment on the recent arrival of the SoK group. I have nothing against their presence. The forums should know only one kind of bigotry - bigotry against people who violate the rules. If they don't misbehave, they should be left in peace. But again, folks around here are quick to take things for granted. I am being informed that decent and misunderstood individuals arrived to correct an unkind and misunderstanding individual. I am being told that now we're one big family. I wish that would be the case, but I remain a sceptic. One question that I would like to have answered - preferably by some informed and honest SoK member - is this: why is that you behave like first-class diplomats on the forums, yet your Twitter feeds always seem to be full to the brim with all kind of low and provacative sneering? Such behavior at best does nothing move the situation forward, at worst it makes the communication barrier between both sides that much impenetrable.

One question that I would like to have answered - preferably by some informed and honest SoK member - is this: why is that you behave like first-class diplomats on the forums, yet your Twitter feeds always seem to be full to the brim with all kind of low and provacative sneering? Such behavior at best does nothing move the situation forward, at worst it makes the communication barrier between both sides that much impenetrable.

​Well, I'll admit that I certainly get a bit heated from time to time when it comes to Phil, especially now considering I was really hopeful about trying to set up a discussion with him. Twitter is usually where I vent about various topics (not just Phil) anyway, and I feel I can do so freely without being cut off, so I tend to keep those thoughts posted there (we obviously aren't gonna be cracking jokes about him right here on his own forums--we're guests here, after all).

Finally, one comment on the recent arrival of the SoK group. I have nothing against their presence. The forums should know only one kind of bigotry - bigotry against people who violate the rules. If they don't misbehave, they should be left in peace. But again, folks around here are quick to take things for granted. I am being informed that decent and misunderstood individuals arrived to correct an unkind and misunderstanding individual. I am being told that now we're one big family. I wish that would be the case, but I remain a sceptic. One question that I would like to have answered - preferably by some informed and honest SoK member - is this: why is that you behave like first-class diplomats on the forums, yet your Twitter feeds always seem to be full to the brim with all kind of low and provacative sneering? Such behavior at best does nothing move the situation forward, at worst it makes the communication barrier between both sides that much impenetrable.

​That is like asking someone why they walk around their own house with no pants, drink straight out of the orange juice carton and then don't when they go to a friend's house. Us agreeing to the rules is us saying we will limit our free speech in order to be here and to try and make a positive impact. Everyone here is basically agreeing to limit their ability to say whatever they want to.

As far as low and provocative sneering, you might be thinking certain people are in the Sons of Kojima when they aren't.