The King of Hate Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TraditionalGames

Need help choosing laptop parts.

My laptop has been broken for several months and after many DIY attempts I decided it was best to just buy a new one. Im not looking for a gaming laptop. I just want it to be able to play games. Im fine with 30fps and console level visuals as long as the game doesnt look like a rendering glitch.

So my 3 questions. How much Ram do I need? What level of graphic card do I need? What proccesor do I need.

I have a left over 4GB Ram stick I can use to add it up to 6-8GB and if I want a cheap laptop it looks like Ill be getting Intel HD. So the real question is will I be able to cut coners on the CPU? Im looking to spend no more than $600.

That's tricky, but I'll offer the best I can to help.  Things get way more expensive once you start building a custom computer on a laptop. I would suggest 8GB of RAM would work for a budget laptop; also, keep an eye on mid range graphic cards from NVIDIA since they just dropped there 1070 and 1080 series, they should be coming down in price.  Another point you can cut is getting slower/smaller hard drives built into the laptop and then use a cheap external harddrive for misc data storage.  Slower speed HD will take longer load times, but will help you save a fair share of your money.

I don't know how custom of a laptop you can get with $600, that's going to be tough.  Try looking for refurbished laptops as well, that could help save money.  I'm not sure if there are many of these still out there, but watch out for GPUs integrated into the motherboard.  Those models are cheaper, but they don't have dedicated memory.  Granted, those might be cheaper, but that's a significant performance hit.

On 6/14/2015 at 2:26 PM, TraditionalGames said:

My laptop has been broken for several months and after many DIY attempts I decided it was best to just buy a new one. Im not looking for a gaming laptop. I just want it to be able to play games. Im fine with 30fps and console level visuals as long as the game doesnt look like a rendering glitch.

So my 3 questions. How much Ram do I need? What level of graphic card do I need? What proccesor do I need.

I have a left over 4GB Ram stick I can use to add it up to 6-8GB and if I want a cheap laptop it looks like Ill be getting Intel HD. So the real question is will I be able to cut coners on the CPU? Im looking to spend no more than $600.

When it comes to GPU's, either ATI or Nvidia is fine. Make sure the Gpu has at least, 1GB or 2GB of memory, included in it. 

The same can be said with AMD or Intel processors. Both are good.

When it comes to RAM, 8 to 16 GB is more than good enough, for playing games, or making games.

Hope that helps.

Edited by musicboy

On 6/14/2015 at 2:26 PM, TraditionalGames said:

I decided it was best to just buy a new one.

In most cases, that's a very good idea. Because sometimes the cost of laptop parts, come up to the same amount, as a brand new laptop or PC.