The King of Hate Forums

Constructive Criticism of Phil's Behavior - What He Can Improve On to Reduce Haters

Phil can cure cancer, single-handedly defeat ISIS, give everyone a million dollars and his detractors would still continue with their agenda against him.

I think once someone cures cancer, that person becomes untouchable.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

@hardcoreparkour Your entire contribution to these forums is going into threads you don't like and shitting all over the people inside of it in an attempt to get it locked. Just stop clicking on threa

Enough! The OP made this thread to discuss some legitimate criticisms they have with Phil, so let's discuss them. Let's not question the validity of the thread, let's not question whether it should be

You were giving some pretty decent feedback on what Phil can do to improve himself, most of it good advice. Glad you're trying to help out overall. One thing I'm really disappointed in is how you stat

Phil can cure cancer, single-handedly defeat ISIS, give everyone a million dollars and his detractors would still continue with their agenda against him.

Remember when he gave that PS4 away to a fan for free? Yeah, neither do they.

Remember when he gave that PS4 away to a fan for free? Yeah, neither do they.

I think you said it in a way that you nor him remembered that. And I remember that. That gets so much leeway with me at least.

Edited by TrinityJoe

Metallica once said "yeah we are sell-outs, we sell out every arena we go to!"

people bash Metallica for all kinds of reasons, but if they buy the ticket then they go to the show. If they don't like Metallica then they don't watch the show.

if you don't like Phil just pull the dick out of your mouth for a second and stop watching

• Upvote 2

Phil's three main problems

1. He's too arrogant (Often only sees from his own perspective)
  2. He's too defensive (Reacts and argues back when people oppose his perspective)
  3. He's too juggemental (Puts down people who oppose his perspective)

When he rages/fails he A) Doesnt try to find an alternate solution to the problem B) Doesnt admit fault C) Makes shit up to blame the game.

When he rants he A) Has one sided thoughts B) Won't let his point go C) Ridicules the people he's ranting about.

When he's criticsized (Regardless if it's constructive or hurtful) He A) Refuses to acknowledge it as legit B) Makes excuses for himself C) Lables the criticsizer as negitive.

Ignorance and agression are also factors that make these situations worse.

All this adds up making Phil a very negative person. The whole "Im outspoken and honest" excuse doesnt work. I understand the whole "The truth hurts" concept. Hell I just did it. I explained what was wrong with Phil, my take on it, and how it effects him negatively. The harsh truth being Phil is negative. I could have went on by talking shit, name calling, or insulting. Thats what Phil does in his arguments most of the time. Thats not being outspoken. Thats using criticsm as an excuse to be negative.

Now sometimes that person is being a peice of shit and deserves those insults. But most times Phil doesnt understand the diffrence between a peice of shit and someone speaking their mind. Thats where the ignorance comes into play.

Phil you either need to open your mind, express your thoughts more professionally, or hold your tounge. OR instead of being an asshole you can try to see if you can pull off a loveable asshole so at least its entertaing. No offense.

Keep in mind my issue with Phil is almost never wheather he's right or wrong. Its HOW he expresses it. Ignorance (The lack of information) followed by arrogance (A high ego) cause him to be over defensive of his faults and juddgemental of others while being agressive and to fix that he needs to watch what he says.

• Upvote 3

Phil's three main problems

1. He's too arrogant (Often only sees from his own perspective)
  2. He's too defensive (Reacts and argues back when people oppose his perspective)
  3. He's too juggemental (Puts down people who oppose his perspective)

When he rages/fails he A) Doesnt try to find an alternate solution to the problem B) Doesnt admit fault C) Makes shit up to blame the game.

When he rants he A) Has one sided thoughts B) Won't let his point go C) Ridicules the people he's ranting about.

When he's criticsized (Regardless if it's constructive or hurtful) He A) Refuses to acknowledge it as legit B) Makes excuses for himself C) Lables the criticsizer as negitive.

Ignorance and agression are also factors that make these situations worse.

All this adds up making Phil a very negative person. The whole "Im outspoken and honest" excuse doesnt work. I understand the whole "The truth hurts" concept. Hell I just did it. I explained what was wrong with Phil, my take on it, and how it effects him negatively. The harsh truth being Phil is negative. I could have went on by talking shit, name calling, or insulting. Thats what Phil does in his arguments most of the time. Thats not being outspoken. Thats using criticsm as an excuse to be negative.

Now sometimes that person is being a peice of shit and deserves those insults. But most times Phil doesnt understand the diffrence between a peice of shit and someone speaking their mind. Thats where the ignorance comes into play.

Phil you either need to open your mind, express your thoughts more professionally, or hold your tounge. OR instead of being an asshole you can try to see if you can pull off a loveable asshole so at least its entertaing. No offense.

Keep in mind my issue with Phil is almost never wheather he's right or wrong. Its HOW he expresses it. Ignorance (The lack of information) followed by arrogance (A high ego) cause him to be over defensive of his faults and juddgemental of others while being agressive and to fix that he needs to watch what he says.

Can you provide recent examples?

• Upvote 2
  • 1 month later...

Hey there, new user, not here to hate or anything, but I've been exposed to Phil's content recently, and also, as is inevitable, I have seen the videos that point out his shortcomings, the "detractors" if you will. I'm sorry that I'm pushing up an old topic, but I wanted to give my two cents.

While I've seen the hate videos, I'm still willing to give Phil a chance. After seeing some videos from some of the detractors, I decided to jump on to Phil's channel to see if the detractors were being bias with their videos, I was bombarded with hundreds of videos, series after series , most with 50 episodes or more. And this is the first problem I have. I have a life. I like watching videos on youtube, and I like lets plays, because I often don't really have time to play the games myself, or even have the money to do so. But Phil, you really need to find a way to upload videos in a way that isn't overwhelming for new viewers. I feel like a lot of people get scared off by seeing FALLOUT PART 50 on your youtube page, and don't want to have to be caught up to that point. It's how I feel, and I'm aware of the fact I might not be your target audience.

Secondly, playing off the long play-throughs, I think you need to realize that audiences are going to want you to pick what you want to be. A lets player, or a entertainer. I understand that you upload unedited content to give a feeling of sitting through the entire gameplay and reacting with you, but as an entertainer, it doesn't work. While it might be entertaining to react with you to the story of Dark Souls, watching you grind for extended amounts of time is not. That's why people like PewDiePie and other popular youtube gamers edit their content, to cut out anything that isn't entertaining. If you're a lets player, the unedited footage is fine, but to make sure people don't get frustrated, having at least a basic knowledge of how games play and their controls will help to make the longer series shorter, and less tedious. People being bad at games is funny when it's edited, because you don't have to sit there for ten minutes and watch you figure out how to crouch jump. Editing means that people only have to be frustrated for a short amount of time before payoff. So I would recommend, don't go into games blind. Or at least, try to be more responsive to instructions and tutorials. Also, try to realize that you're sometimes the problem, not the game, not lag. People just get irritated when you can't hav

Another gripe I have, and this is from your interactions outside of gaming, is your behavior on social media and in your forums. To be honest, I don't give two flying fucks if you make racist or sexist jokes. I don't like the way you deliver them, and you often bring them in at the wrong times, but that's my opinion. I think anything can be funny, given that you make jokes about it in a situation where more people are going to find it funny than being offended. But, I digress. What I really don't like, is the way you call out and insult other youtubers, streamers, companies and other people. I understand that you have the gimmick of being honest, but sometimes, you just have to hold your tounge, and realize that the truth is going to hurt, and sometimes your opinions are going to be unpopular. A racist's opinion is that all other cultures are inferior to theirs, but that does not make them right, or completely free of criticism. So when I see you openly insult, and even flat out lie about youtubers like Total Biscuit, AngryJoe for having their own opinions, or when you say that other streamers are only in it for the money, when you call out companies like twitch for things that you exaggerate about, and even insult your own fans for their critisism, that's when I don't like what you're doing, and what picture you are painting for the youtuber community in general. You may think that it's your opinion and that's fine, but you make yourself look like an asshole with a massive ego.

One other thing I notice is that you talk a lot about your view count and your patreon. Some might call it begging. To me, it feels a lot like it, because you seem to think that to get your videos people have to pay, which is not what should be the incentive. The incentive for people to give you money should be that they want to because they like you and they want you to improve your content. By putting things behind a paywall, you shoot yourself in the foot, because people could get a better experience and see what they want to see, for example a lets play of crash bandicoot, without having to pay for it. They are DONATIONS. Not money that you are entitled to. You should be doing this because you love it first off. That is what almost every other youtuber does it for. You repeatedly beg for patreon donations, and views, and then you put down other people who do it in much less direct ways.

Finally, and this is a really important one for most people, please move away from the mic when you burp, cough and snort. It's unprofessional, and really just gross.

TL;DR: Try to make your channel less intimidating. Decide if you're a letsplayer or an entertainer. Don't be a dick on social media and don't call people out. Stop making your channel about the money. Don't be gross. 

I was bombarded with hundreds of videos, series after series , most with 50 episodes or more. And this is the first problem I have. I have a life. I like watching videos on youtube, and I like lets plays, because I often don't really have time to play the games myself, or even have the money to do so. But Phil, you really need to find a way to upload videos in a way that isn't overwhelming for new viewers. I feel like a lot of people get scared off by seeing FALLOUT PART 50 on your youtube page, and don't want to have to be caught up to that point. It's how I feel, and I'm aware of the fact I might not be your target audience.

Agreed.  I think this is why Phil branched out into doing montages, but his Heavy Rain montage is three and a half hours long.  I have to watch something comparable to a Lord of the Rings movie for the abridged version.  Phil really struggles with brevity, and leaving things on the cutting room floor.  Just to get a synopsis of what he plans on doing for the current week I have to sit through a 20 minute video.  He really expects a lot of his viewers.  I think if he empathised with the expectations and lives of the common youtube audience, and adapted accordingly, he'd be doing better right now.

But the point of a montage is to get the good bits into a single video. I doubt there was 3 hours of good footage there.

Even if there were 10 hrs of top quality stuff, it is defeating the purpose of a video meant to reach out to an audience with busy lives and other youtube content competing for their attention to make it too long.

I remember watching his FIFA playthrough, which he made a mockery of. It was painful to watch. He made the game look stupid and painful. People left constructive comments on the videos giving him advice (that really he should have figured out himself) I wasn't annoyed watching the playthrough itself too much. But then....

...Then I watched his review of it where he turned the tables on the viewers, saying all the comments were making the game look bad - not him. Yea, all the people leaving comments were dragging the game down. That left me kind of enraged. A deep anger built up inside of me. I don't think I've ever felt so angry about something online before. I was so angry that he could blame the viewers for making FIFA look bad - after he made a mockery of it. We all have a personal connection to these games. It runs deep. Some of these games were our childhood, or are associated with beautiful memories in our life -- then Phil shits all over them. I don't think he means to shit all over them -- just sometimes he does. Then he shits on people giving him negative feedback and/or advice.

I realized from that experience how he fills hatred in so many people. I felt it myself. I felt the hatred for Phil that others do. I didn't like that feeling. I guess his haters dwell on the hatred too much, but I understand that reaction people have to him. I've felt it. It's like being abused deep inside, relating to something you have a personal connection to.

Edited by SoulFroosh

I remember watching his FIFA playthrough, which he made a mockery of. It was painful to watch. He made the game look stupid and painful. People left constructive comments on the videos giving him advice (that really he should have figured out himself) I wasn't annoyed watching the playthrough itself too much. But then....

...Then I watched his review of it where he turned the tables on the viewers, saying all the comments were making the game look bad - not him. Yea, all the people leaving comments were dragging the game down. That left me kind of enraged. A deep anger built up inside of me. I don't think I've ever felt so angry about something online before. I was so angry that he could blame the viewers for making FIFA look bad - after he made a mockery of it. We all have a personal connection to these games. It runs deep. Some of these games were our childhood, or are associated with beautiful memories in our life -- then Phil shits all over them. I don't think he means to shit all over them -- just sometimes he does. Then he shits on people giving him negative feedback and/or advice.

I realized from that experience how he fills hatred in so many people. I felt it myself. I felt the hatred for Phil that others do. I didn't like that feeling. I guess his haters dwell on the hatred too much, but I understand that reaction people have to him. I've felt it. It's like being abused deep inside, relating to something you have a personal connection to.

Calm down and relax yourself. It's just a silly piece of software, and FIFA of all games. One of my favorite games is GTA Vice City. I wouldn't give two shits if he bashed it because it's his opinion. I like the game and that's all that matters. I guess what I'm trying to say is try not to be so sensitive, especially over silly things like video games.

• Upvote 1

Calm down and relax yourself. It's just a silly piece of software, and FIFA of all games. One of my favorite games is GTA Vice City. I wouldn't give two shits if he bashed it because it's his opinion. I like the game and that's all that matters. I guess what I'm trying to say is try not to be so sensitive, especially over silly things like video games.

I think you missed the point of my post. 

His playthrough did not annoy me. I thought it was pretty funny. It was his review where he shit on the viewers that annoyed me. Even then it was just for a few minutes -- but I got a sense of that hatred the haters feel.

I think you missed the point of my post. 

His playthrough did not annoy me. I thought it was pretty funny. It was his review where he shit on the viewers that annoyed me. Even then it was just for a few minutes -- but I got a sense of that hatred the haters feel.

From what I've seen, from hater stuff and from Phil's own channel, he does sometimes take his fanbase for granted. Even though it's free, nobody is entitled to watch Phil's content, and being negative towards viewers with valid criticism isn't going to make his fan base larger. 

Might wanna get your blood pressure checked there buddy! I don't understand why his opinion would get someone so mad.

• Upvote 1

Doesn't matter what the reason is. He gave away a brand new PS4 with free shipping. 

Except it does. He gave away a PS4,  and that's pretty cool, but when you find out he only gave it away because his girlfriend didn't want it, it doesn't feel as charitable, and feels more like he's just getting rid if something he doesn't want. 

But, Sammy_Samosa, I was just wondering if you have any criticisms of Phil. I've seen you actively defend him on the forums, and I wondered if you thought there was something you wished he would change? 

Except it does. He gave away a PS4,  and that's pretty cool, but when you find out he only gave it away because his girlfriend didn't want it, it doesn't feel as charitable, and feels more like he's just getting rid if something he doesn't want. 

But, Sammy_Samosa, I was just wondering if you have any criticisms of Phil. I've seen you actively defend him on the forums, and I wondered if you thought there was something you wished he would change? 

He does change and improve always but some people expect him to be some holy perfect saint. He talks shit just like anybody else. if someone says something ot me i say something back

He does change and improve always but some people expect him to be some holy perfect saint. He talks shit just like anybody else. if someone says something ot me i say something back

I don't expect him to be perfect.  I never said that. I'm giving criticism on things he does that scares off potential fans, and breeds a lot of haters. Contrary to popular belief,  not everyone who dislikes Phil is a troll or hater who has been misled. And Phil has a tendency to react badly to criticism,  and censoring said criticism.

I haven't been around long enough to see his changes, but I do feel like if he really wants to regain viewers,  he needs to make a bigger change.

I'm not butthurt. The topic of this thread is constructive criticism, for Phil. Nobody is above criticism, at all. I have a fair amount of gripes with him, and in my opinion they cause people to be very critical of him.

please elaborate instead of being so vague