The King of Hate Forums
WhoamI

DSP Game Reviews Script Needed

Phil will occasionally do a review after playing a game. I noticed that he tends to ramble on, which only adds filler to the video. I think he should write a script before he starts filming. This way he can keep his "Maximum Truth, Minimum Bullshit" motto. I'm sure many fans will agree that they do not have the time to watch a 30+ minute video when it can be easily shortened to 10 minutes. My point is, its better to know what to say beforehand than to improvise on the spot.

He used to do that somewhat but then he stopped because people didn't watch it as much as he wanted them to so he said it wasn't worth the extra effort.

I imagine that's the same reason he doesn't edit out the filler either.

he stopped because people didn't watch it as much as he wanted them to so he said it wasn't worth the extra effort.

That's a shame. He should put effort into this.

He shouldn't write a script, but writing some key points down would probably help keep him on track.

That could work.

I listen to his reviews while I'm doing other things.  His current "wing-it" style is favorable in that respect, especially when a game sucks.  Still enjoy the Destiny review, heheh.

• Upvote 3

The point of my reviews is to outline the good, the bad, both factual (objective) and opinion (subjective) takes, and then tell you what I think about that game in relation to all the others that I've played recently. In addition, if it's a game that's a certain genre, I'll let you know if the game will only appeal to fans of that genre or if it has more widespread appeal, etc.

My reviews are NOT like other "popular/mainstream" reviews and aren't meant to be. People with short attention spans will hate them, but those who dedicate the time (Because they actually DO care about the game and want something detailed) will love them. I couldn't tell you how many people have told me over the years that my reviews ARE some of the best on the internet, but don't appeal to "mainstream audiences" because they're so long.

If cutting down the quality of my reviews is the price to pay for more views, then I don't want more views. It's the same reason that after I first started doing reviews I "cut out" the skits and funny segments - I'd rather give you the best review possible, not something that makes you laugh for a minute and then rushes through the actual intended content of the video.

PLENTY of other people out there for quick reviews though.

• Upvote 1

I listen to his reviews while I'm doing other things.  His current "wing-it" style is favorable in that respect, especially when a game sucks.  Still enjoy the Destiny review, heheh.

I do the same thing most of the time.

If cutting down the quality of my reviews is the price to pay for more views, then I don't want more views. It's the same reason that after I first started doing reviews I "cut out" the skits and funny segments - I'd rather give you the best review possible, not something that makes you laugh for a minute

I never said get rid of your quality. I believe your quality will improve if you know what to say. I also never mentioned skits. The best possible review is one where you are prepared, not rambling on and on which creates more filler than a skit.

and then tell you what I think about that game in relation to all the others that I've played recently.

Yes, because it makes perfect sense to compare Arkham Knight with MKX and Splatoon. 

• Upvote 1

Yes, because it makes perfect sense to compare Arkham Knight with MKX and Splatoon

It can if you're weighing how much the positives and negatives of those two other titles effected their score compared to other games with the same problem.  Some games, no matter their platform can have the universal problem of being too short, too buggy or just isn't very engaging.

It can if you're weighing how much the positives and negatives of those two other titles effected their score compared to other games with the same problem.  Some games, no matter their platform can have the universal problem of being too short, too buggy or just isn't very engaging.

I understand that multiple games can have the same problem, but why does it matter if, I dunno, MGSV and Yoshi's Wooly World have the same problem? To me it makes no sense to judge a game against other games unless it's another entry in a franchise and you're only judging it against other entries in the franchise. 

This is a terrible idea, no. Just no.

Can you explain why its a terrible idea? You can't just say "No" without backing it up. It sounds like something a child would say.

• Upvote 3

It's a terrible idea because script reading has the negative of effect of disconnecting with your audience since your focusing on reading rather than what you're trying to convey. You're also less emotionally invested in what you're saying if you read from script.

In school (college and high school), I used to hate it when classmates would read from scripts during presentations. Not only was their first hand knowledge of the subject questionable (a lot of it sounded plagiarized or regurgitated from various sources), it's incredibly boring to listen to.

I would also disagree that Phil rambles on during his reviews, most of them are more in-depth and not meant to be concise.

It would actually be a good idea to write down key notes, that way Phil will say what he wants to and needs to say and not forget anything. The big issue I notice in most of his "speeches"  is that he does have a bad habit of rambling, and occassionally going off topic. 

Note cards with key points are fine, definitely wouldn't be opposed to that as long as he's not reading off of them.

Its like his Q&A ATK (I find this abbreviation funny) he reads from the paper the main point (or question) and he talks from his mind after that. Same concept can easily be applied to note cards. Again, just gotta stay on topic and make a clear point, and 'try' not to ramble on and end up derailing your own point.

Assuming this thread is a reaction to some minor, yet noticeable fallacies, a script or notes do not have to be the solution. Here is my suggestion.

Instead of uploading the review the day it is recorded, wait a day and give yourself time to listen back to it. If you catch a slip-up or learn something new in the meantime, just edit in an annotation to clear things up. It is just a matter of proofing the work in my opinion, no drastic changes required. 

If truly only about the length and ramblings, Phil already summarizes everything at the end of his reviews. Perhaps if this portion was time stamped for those looking for a quick verdict? 

• Upvote 1