The King of Hate Forums
Static Veins

Happy 15th Anniversary, Final Fantasy IX!

Today - July 7th, 2015 - marks 15 years since Final Fantasy IX was released on the original PlayStation.

Some would argue it's the greatest Final Fantasy game ever made, but at the very least it is undeniably the swan song for "classic" Final Fantasy.

While I think VI has the best story, and VII is the best all-round game in the series, IX will always be my favourite. There is just something about its storybook charm, wonderful characters and gorgeous locations (seriously, best towns in the entire series) that set it apart from the others. And the soundtrack is Uematsu's best work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXlE8ZESSEI

What are your memories of and thoughts on Final Fantasy IX?

It was definetly one of the best looking games on the ps1, crazy to think how FFX only came out a year later on ps2 and blew this game out of the water.

Yeah, the fantasy picture-book art style they went for in IX meant the 3D models looked more detailed than they really were. Technically speaking it's not really any better than VIII, but the graphics went a lot further here than when they were trying to portray life-like characters. That and the hand-drawn backgrounds here are down-right beautiful.

While Final Fantasy X still remains my favorite in the series, Final Fantasy IX is surely one of the better games in the series. It's a shame that a lot of people don't give it as much attention due to it being sandwiched in between FFX and FVIII (which I find to be incredibly overrated)

For me there are only 2 flaws with this game:

1) The battle system is so damn slow, even normal random encounters take ages.

2) The final boss comes out of nowhere and apart from some fan theories seems to have nothing to do with the actual story. This could be seen as a reference to the very first few games in the series where the big bad guys weren't revealed until the very end though (as the whole game is full of references to the series as a whole), so it's forgivable but still jarring.

Other than that, perfection.

For me there are only 2 flaws with this game:

1) The battle system is so damn slow, even normal random encounters take ages.

2) The final boss comes out of nowhere and apart from some fan theories seems to have nothing to do with the actual story. This could be seen as a reference to the very first few games in the series where the big bad guys weren't revealed until the very end though (as the whole game is full of references to the series as a whole), so it's forgivable but still jarring.

Other than that, perfection.

Well to be fair the game was a huge throwback to the classic NES Final Fantasy games so thats why alot of the combat was somewhat slow. 

9 was the most forgettable in the series for me, I don't think I remember half the characters. I just remember the main character having a dumb tail and the story being some cliche. The Ozma secret boss was fun though.