The King of Hate Forums
ShadowRuler

Patreon Criticisms

As long as there isn't any sort of transparency where the donation money goes in, Patreon is only fuel for fire to critics. It just looks odd if you donate money to Phil when you see he is in financial debt which he caused himself and still wasting money on WWE supercard or buying tons of candles. I would feel framed if I would donate money just to support Phil's lifestyle when the one thing that matters, the gameplay and videos, won't change a bit.

He could use the Patreon money for a lot of things that would make the viewers happy. For example, he could keep the game discs he usually trades in and so he has a full product for the Hardcore Season Giveaway, just no empty boxes (which was a terrible PR). Or he could try out some odd games he'd never play anyways, like some infuriating steam games or FNaF2 (just as an example, I know he played the first part). But not telling where the money goes in ... not so good idea. It would make Phil look greedy/lazy again.

• Upvote 4

He's on the 2K forums telling how he spent $30 on a Supercard event and has admitted on that forum spending a lot more before.  And this is the guy that wants your money on Patreon to pay back his debts from foolhardy spending like this.  Personally, with those facts to go by I wouldn't put in a penny.  Of course, that is my view and everyone else is free to do what they want and chip in on patreon if they so wish

• Upvote 7

Maybe it's just me, but why would I spend money to see something that I will get for free in a week or two? That would be like going to the Xbox Marketplace and buying a game that I know they are about to release for free in a week. Seems kind of asinine to me. If people are going to pay for something it should be exclusive to them only. And it should be something of worth, not just the same ole, same ole that they can see on YT on any given day. A little effort shows that you appreciate the people who are the reason you are able to make a living this way, so why not give them something worth paying for?

Maybe it's just me, but why would I spend money to see something that I will get for free in a week or two? That would be like going to the Xbox Marketplace and buying a game that I know they are about to release for free in a week. Seems kind of asinine to me. If people are going to pay for something it should be exclusive to them only. And it should be something of worth, not just the same ole, same ole that they can see on YT on any given day. A little effort shows that you appreciate the people who are the reason you are able to make a living this way, so why not give them something worth paying for?

​Because that would be too much work.

• Upvote 1

Ok, two of my posts have now been deleted in other thread even though I haven't said anything insulting, so I guess I'll just post here. 

I understand why someone would not want to put his content behind a paywall, but I also think that supporting someone financially deserves a little bit more recognition.

As I understand it, dsp wants to provide almost non-existent perks for those donating, while producing the same content he does now, which effectively means using all of that money to pay off his personal debt. I know that time is a money, but in this case, he won't event spend more time learning to better edit is videos, etc. as he says that expecting higher quality stuff (or even expecting him to be on time for his streams) is being self entitled.

Have 2 problems with his Patreon since it's up now.

1. The picture just makes the account look stupid and fake. All of the fake ones looked real in comparison.

2. Claims he's an innovator of Lets Plays and "did it before it was cool!" which just makes him sound arrogant since people were using the term Lets Plays and doing them years before he ever showed up.

lp.png

• Upvote 1

Here is some POSITIVE! and CONSTRUCTIVE! "criticism"!

They are not "Patreons". They are Patrons.

I hope this was comprehensible, constructive, and overwhelmingly positive.

cap11.PNG

• Upvote 3

IMO this comes of as whining and is very off putting. He decided to move and if he was going to have issues with debt than he shouldn't have purchased a house plain and simple.. you live within your means and it is not his fans responsibility to make sure he can pay off his debts.

WHINY.JPG

• Upvote 4

Longtime fan since 2009. I am going to provide some constructive criticism. 1. The image on the page is off putting. I looked at the other Patrons and it i think it would be better if phil put up a picture of him doing some video work or something. Might make it more appealing to donators. 2. On twitter phil said he wants to hide how much money he is given. I don't agree with this at all. If I am giving you my hard earned money then I want to know how much of an impact I am making. This isn't too hard of a request cause most kickstarters and patron accounts list how much they have been given. 3. I want to be sure this money is going towards a cool project or playhtrough of a unique game that phil wouldn't normally play. I do not want to donate and fund your move, your supercard or your bmw. No disrespect, but those are things you should pay for on your own. I want my money going to something cool and creative not luxeries. thanks. 

• Upvote 3

IMO this comes of as whining and is very off putting. He decided to move and if he was going to have issues with debt than he shouldn't have purchased a house plain and simple.. you live within your means and it is not his fans responsibility to make sure he can pay off his debts.

WHINY.JPG

​Yep. I think the last part is fine about more creative freedom and not being reliant on putting out gameplay etc, but the first part is terrible imo.

• Upvote 2

My only problem with the page is you're opening it to donations before you know what you want to give them. I'm not going to be that guy and claim you're ripping off your fans but just saying that's a mistake on your part.

If I were you Phil I'd bust my ass to put something together and put it in action.

WHINY.JPG

​The first definitely needs a lot of work since it can mislead people into thinking he's only doing this for the money. The 2nd part is fine though but he really needs to fix that first part.

​The first definitely needs a lot of work since it can mislead people into thinking he's only doing this for the money. The 2nd part is fine though but he really needs to fix that first part.

​He changed it today. So at least he fixed that part.

pledge.png

I understand that playing games has become your main source of income and your job, but you still need to have fun doing it. Playing games should be a way to relax and have fun. The way you described on your Patreon account about the burden of video views makes it seem that all you're interested in is views. I believe that you can reword the description to make it more appealing.

My main concern however, is that you are accepting donations without yet offering anything in return. To me this comes off as just lazy and maybe even greedy. Rewards or Perks should have been one of the first things you should have ironed out before opening up a Patreon account to the public.

My only problem with the page is you're opening it to donations before you know what you want to give them. I'm not going to be that guy and claim you're ripping off your fans but just saying that's a mistake on your part.

If I were you Phil I'd bust my ass to put something together and put it in action.

​to his defence, its not easy finding something to use as pledge.

think about it, what do you give viewers that already have everything?

early access? why would people pay to watch a hatefull truth ahead of time? what will 2 or 4 days change? i believe most will not donate and just wait to watch it later.

patreon/google hangout? there doesnt appear to be some huge demand for him to answer questions. he already covers most of his life on prestreams. plus, a hangout can get akward real fast. and it just takes 1 hater to ruin the atmosphere.

​to his defence, its not easy finding something to use as pledge.

think about it, what do you give viewers that already have everything?

early access? why would people pay to watch a hatefull truth ahead of time? what will 2 or 4 days change? i believe most will not donate and just wait to watch it later.

patreon/google hangout? there doesnt appear to be some huge demand for him to answer questions. he already covers most of his life on prestreams. plus, a hangout can get akward real fast. and it just takes 1 hater to ruin the atmosphere.

​Still. He should have had something prepared before hand. He's basically saying "Give me money and I'll give you... something. Eventually" It's a bit unprofessional.

Besides there's be plenty of great ideas thrown around. Requested playthroughs, fan appreciation, feedback on a prototype of a series before it goes live.

​Still. He should have had something prepared before hand. He's basically saying "Give me money and I'll give you... something. Eventually" It's a bit unprofessional.

Besides there's be plenty of great ideas thrown around. Requested playthroughs, fan appreciation, feedback on a prototype of a series before it goes live.

​well yeah it can be viewed as unprofessional no doubt, i see it as "deciding to paint the house before you move new furniture in so the house walls dry up before the furniture arrive" sort of thing

regarding requested playthroughs, come on, we know phil, he is not gonna play what some people want just because they want it. he has a busuness to run and as long as he has a more lucrative alternative, he ll go for the alternative.

fan appreciation he already does for free. unless he carefully caters to both parties (patreon payers and free viewers) there is going to be issues. imagine paying phil to play with you and some 1-2 weeks later get to play with phil for free. 

as far as the feedback thing, i d just wait. i dont have interest in prototypes, i d rather watch the polished finished product/series.

but who knows, maybe people think different.

​well yeah it can be viewed as unprofessional no doubt, i see it as "deciding to paint the house before you move new furniture in so the house walls dry up before the furniture arrive" sort of thing

regarding requested playthroughs, come on, we know phil, he is not gonna play what some people want just because they want it. he has a busuness to run and as long as he has a more lucrative alternative, he ll go for the alternative.

fan appreciation he already does for free. unless he carefully caters to both parties (patreon payers and free viewers) there is going to be issues. imagine paying phil to play with you and some 1-2 weeks later get to play with phil for free. 

as far as the feedback thing, i d just wait. i dont have interest in prototypes, i d rather watch the polished finished product/series.

but who knows, maybe people think different.

​Phil is making money through Patreon. Why wouldn't he do occasional playthrough requests? Phil himself even suggested this saying he may play Spyro for Patreons if they wanted.

​Phil is making money through Patreon. Why wouldn't he do occasional playthrough requests? Phil himself even suggested this saying he may play Spyro for Patreons if they wanted.

​him suggesting a game is not the same as playing a game they suggest.

would he play games he hates but the patrons love? thats a question. and who would enjoy that playthrough less?

if the patrons wanted him to really play minecraft would he? i d be very surprised.

interesting times we live in.

​him suggesting a game is not the same as playing a game they suggest.

would he play games he hates but the patrons love? thats a question. and who would enjoy that playthrough less?

if the patrons wanted him to really play minecraft would he? i d be very surprised.

interesting times we live in.

​I'm sure he'd at least try it once.

And he was just making a point on how Spyro is a game he normally would never play but would make an exception for Patreons.

Apart from the concept that we have two threads here where one would have been enough (to me, a "discussions" thread includes criticism, and I find it sad that by Phil's command the threads had to be separated), it's the half-baked attempt of starting Patreon while we still do not see any solid pledges or perks. It looks awkward and dishonest in my opinion. I do not now where the donated money flows in, I do not know if there will be any perks, and if it was for Phil, since he was already asking about it, nobody but him would see how much money he makes from the donations.

Besides, until I start that video in the description of Phil's patreon site, I still see the incredibly embarrassing and poorly cut out mugshot of him. Come on, Phil, you wanna advertise yourself, not scare off potential patrons.

• Upvote 2

​I'm sure he'd at least try it once.

And he was just making a point on how Spyro is a game he normally would never play but would make an exception for Patreons.

​minecraft?

remember how he played the naruto multiplayer cause the fans repeadetly asked him?

remember how enjoyable that short playthrough was? it wasnt. he wasnt enjoying it, the viewers werent enjoying it. it was a chore for him, more than usual. he even said so himself.

i think Spyro was a "peace offering" something like "ok here, i ll play spyro, just dont suggest something like minecraft"

Let us sink in for a moment and have a look at the Patreon page of Phil.

I am appalled by that mugshot of him, it must be the third or so post I was mentioning it. Beside that the mugshot does not have anything to do with the video it works as a thumbnail for (and the fact that its about Phil), I feel reminded of George Orwell's big brother in 1984.

This is about first impression, it is about gaining sympathy or at least not pissing off potential patrons. The first impression is important, as it defines the next steps of social interaction between two human beings. Therefore, the mugshot, no matter the intention of including it, damages the patreon project more than it does help.

2015-01-12-104234.jpg