The King of Hate Forums
BrickArts295

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain - Official Thread // "Kaz, I'm already a GOTY."

Only less than a month till the release of MGSV! So lets put all related MGS info, news, memories, plans, rants about Konami and HYPE in this thread.

I'll start with the fact that MGS Online 3 has been delayed until October 2015 for Consoles and January 2016 for PC.

On the good side of news, the PC version has been pushed to September 1st, along with all the other ports.

https://uk.games.konami-europe.com/posts/KONAMI-Brings-PC-Release-for-METAL-GEAR-SOLID-V-THE-PHANTOM-PAIN-in-Line-with-September-1st-Console-Launch

Gamescom demo is up!

And hey guys, don't worry - I've found where Kojima is keeping PT safe away from Konami's meddling: http://i.imgur.com/189Hock.png

Base building is a lot more robust than I expected. The base invasions/defense seem really cool too; that was some intense shit!

But it was easily the return of Stealth Camo and that amazing Zone of the Enders robot arm (complete with the ZoE music!) that stole the show for me.

EDIT: OH LAWD I JUST HAD AN AMAZING IDEA. What if I staff my FOB entirely with BEARS?! I'd like to see you try and invade me now, mother fuckers!

-_- I forgot that this game will have microtransactions, that is going to make invading someone's turfs really annoying if they enforce the crap out of it by buying lots of points. Then again I would probably do the same cause I hate being interrupted by invaders (looking at you Souls games). Really a waste of time in my opinion.

Edited by BrickArts295

-_- I forgot that this game will have microtransactions, that is going to make invading someone's turfs really annoying if they enforce the crap out of it by buying lots of points. Then again I would probably do the same cause I hate being interrupted by invaders (looking at you Souls games). Really a waste of time in my opinion.

Well you can turn off the online portion completely according to the gameplay demo. And all that means is that the game takes longer which is hardly a bad thing.

There's some samples from the MGSV soundtrack floating around. They've been compiled into this video here: http://a.pomf.cat/ocxdmy.mp4

The first 4:30 are from the new vocal tracks (Sins of the Father & Quiet's Theme) we've heard in trailers so far. The rest is updated covers of old MGS songs (I imagine these being playable music tapes in-game).

What's most interesting about this is that the voice/mo-cap actress for Quiet is singing Quiet's Theme. In the second E3 demo released a few weeks ago we can hear Quiet humming a few bars from this song when she spots an enemy. Now what are the odds this song is something from her past and at some point she regains her voice and sings it?

There's some samples from the MGSV soundtrack floating around. They've been compiled into this video here: http://a.pomf.cat/ocxdmy.mp4

The first 4:30 are from the new vocal tracks (Sins of the Father & Quiet's Theme) we've heard in trailers so far. The rest is updated covers of old MGS songs (I imagine these being playable music tapes in-game).

What's most interesting about this is that the voice/mo-cap actress for Quiet is singing Quiet's Theme. In the second E3 demo released a few weeks ago we can hear Quiet humming a few bars from this song when she spots an enemy. Now what are the odds this song is something from her past and at some point she regains her voice and sings it?

Sounds pretty good

Kind of not looking forward to Big Boss being almost a silent protagonist. Apparently Kiefer Sutherland recorded very little material because of how much he cost and Konami not being willing to pay for it. Several hands-on previews have talked about how Big Boss often responds to dialogue with awkward silence, but not the fun awkward kind; almost as if he was meant to respond, but they didn't get to record the line.

• Upvote 1

Kind of not looking forward to Big Boss being almost a silent protagonist. Apparently Kiefer Sutherland recorded very little material because of how much he cost and Konami not being willing to pay for it. Several hands-on previews have talked about how Big Boss often responds to dialogue with awkward silence, but not the fun awkward kind; almost as if he was meant to respond, but they didn't get to record the line.

I just hope the game can make Big boss's turn to a villain believable since all games he's been in so far i liked him is he not gonna turn into some villain in this for MGS4. 

Be very careful as the game's official guide is out and spoilers are rampant.

Some knobhead has already spoiled the ending for me (and an entire Twitch chat watching the 500 hour MGS marathon going on right now), but I'm not even mad because if it all pans out this could be the best damn story in the entire series. Plus we still don't know anywhere near all the details.

Not a full spoiler but a very mild hint as to why I'm so excited by it:

MGS2 levels of mindfuckery.

http://www.destructoid.com/review-metal-gear-solid-v-the-phantom-pain-305699.phtml

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/08/24/metal-gear-solid-5-the-phantom-pain-review

http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/metal-gear-solid-v-the-phantom-pain-review/1900-6416224/

IGN: 10/10 Gamespot: 10/10 DailyDot: 10/10 EGM: 9.5/10 Gametrailers: 9.3/10 Game Informer: 9.25/10 Destructoid: 9/10

Cant wait to hear DSP reaction and see what he thinks when playing it.

Edited by AlucardViDracul
  • Upvote 1

Biggest gripe across some reviews is the story is a little "sparse", but considering others don't mention this as a negative I think this is a "sparse compared to the usual 90 minute cutscenes you're used to in this series!" kind of situation, which anyone following the game's development has known for a while. Also important to note is that a lot of story is filled in with cassette tapes you can find and listen to - they basically replace the old Codec system, which is good since you can listen to these while doing other things, so the game won't grind to a complete halt to dump exposition on you anymore.

And there's a second ending after the main story, similar to Peace Walker. Thankfully it doesn't require a ton of grinding this time though, with only a handful of missions having to be replayed on a harder difficulty to unlock it.

• Upvote 1

Biggest gripe across some reviews is the story is a little "sparse", but considering others don't mention this as a negative I think this is a "sparse compared to the usual 90 minute cutscenes you're used to in this series!" kind of situation, which anyone following the game's development has known for a while. Also important to note is that a lot of story is filled in with cassette tapes you can find and listen to - they basically replace the old Codec system, which is good since you can listen to these while doing other things, so the game won't grind to a complete halt to dump exposition on you anymore.

And there's a second ending after the main story, similar to Peace Walker. Thankfully it doesn't require a ton of grinding this time though, with only a handful of missions having to be replayed on a harder difficulty to unlock it.

Ya seems you need to replay so many missions on higher difficulty etc to get the final missions but not a big grind. I read 1-2 hours you gotta replay. 

Review embargo has lifted.

Nothing less than a 9 so far. IGN gave it a full 10.

GAME OF THE YEAR, ALL YEARS.

Gamespot gave it a 10 out of 10 which makes it the tenth game to ever receive a perfect score in the websites history. I only a year we already had Bayonetta 2, Witcher 3, Journey, and now MGS 5 get a perfect score, thats just amazing.

Everyone claims not to take 10/10 scores from mainstream reviewers as gossip truth, until those scores match their gargantuan hype for a game.

Game of the year, all years. Drink it up, kids.

Everyone claims not to take 10/10 scores from mainstream reviewers as gossip truth, until those scores match their gargantuan hype for a game.

Jeez, bitter much?

I have had zero issue with any reviewer giving any game any score. Ever. But heaven forbid I or anyone else is happy to see that a game I have been anticipating for years looks like it might live up to expectations.

Besides, I think anyone who takes a '10' as meaning 'absolutely perfect' is an idiot. A 10 is a game that despite any flaws manages to excel to the point its a masterclass of its genre.

• Upvote 2

If the rumors are true there's going to be a shitload of pissed people next week LOL

Wonder if Phil will understand what is happening/has happened in the past games

Geez, you sound like you don't want us to have a good time.

Jeez, bitter much?

I have had zero issue with any reviewer giving any game any score. Ever. But heaven forbid I or anyone else is happy to see that a game I have been anticipating for years looks like it might live up to expectations.

Besides, I think anyone who takes a '10' as meaning 'absolutely perfect' is an idiot. A 10 is a game that despite any flaws manages to excel to the point its a masterclass of its genre.

There's nothing wrong with being excited about something, but when you start using these particular reviews as a gauge of whether or not the game will live up to your expectations, you're setting yourself up for either huge disappointment, or rose-tinted goggles. You should look up the context and conditions in which a lot of these reviewers had to play the game, for instance.

Call me bitter if that makes you feel better, but at least when I'm looking forward to a game, I'm not necessarily worried about what the likes of IGN or Gamespot will think of it, whether they praise or dump it.

Geez, you sound like you don't want us to have a good time.

I don't have a problem with people who are anticipating the game.

If the rumors are true there's going to be a shitload of pissed people next week LOL

Wonder if Phil will understand what is happening/has happened in the past games

I know exactly what spoiler you're on about. Personally I think it's a fucking masterstroke, but I can imagine some people aren't going to be as happy. It's very off-the-wall. Kojima subverting expectations again.

Phil is going to be so lost haha.

There's nothing wrong with being excited about something, but when you start using these particular reviews as a gauge of whether or not the game will live up to your expectations, you're setting yourself up for either huge disappointment, or rose-tinted goggles. You should look up the context and conditions in which a lot of these reviewers had to play the game, for instance.

Call me bitter if that makes you feel better, but at least when I'm looking forward to a game, I'm not necessarily worried about what the likes of IGN or Gamespot will think of it, whether they praise or dump it.

I don't have a problem with people who are anticipating the game.

I'm not worried about what any particular review thinks - I'm getting the game regardless. Same way in which I bought, and enjoyed the hell out of, The Order 1886 despite it getting shit on in reviews. It's just nice to see that the game is getting unanimously praised.

Anyway, the Kojima-directed launch trailer released today:

The new Metal Gear is fully revealed for the first time:

Metal Gear ST-84, aka Metal Gear SAHELANTHROPUS (and you can bet your ass I had to keep going back to the video to spell that mother fucker.)

That thing is insane, but it just suffers from Prequel Syndrome - gotta make something bigger and better to keep things exciting for the audience but now we're left with technology in the past more advanced than the games set in the future. This thing would wipe the floor with REX or RAY lol.

What is interesting though is the name; Sahelanthropus is the link between ape and man, and this is obviously the Metal Gear that bridges mechanical and anthropomorphic movement. It makes ape noises too.

Pretty sure the "spoilers" of BB walking and changing into someone else is either a ruse or a metaphor

Most likely, I think someone on Gaf already has it figured it out, but I was to afraid to get spoiled.