The King of Hate Forums
MasterOfAwesomeness

Movie Review Thread 4.0: The Unnecessary Reboot

Leave No Trace - Review (2018) 

The Good
Debra Granik's direction which this is her first film in 8 years since Winter's Bone and the wait was worth it cause this is a fantastic film.

Ben Foster and Thomasin McKenzie's performances are fantastic with the obvious standout being McKenzie. 

The father/daughter chemistry 

Its a nice slow and subtle film with a really goof story. 

It takes the PG Rating very far that I was surprised it was PG and not PG-13. 

The Bad
Its definitely not for everyone if you don't like movies that are slow or that nothing really happens. 

Overall: Another fantastic movie from Debra Granik can't wait to see what she does next.

Overall Grade: A+

leave_no_trace.thumb.jpg.21493d68fe60db7c0939339d81c9115a.jpg

Smallfoot - Review (2018)

The Good
The Cast is really good (Channing Tatum, James Corden, Zendaya, Lebron James, Common, Gina Rodriguez, and Danny DeVito.)

The Animation is great 

There's actually songs in this movie which I was shocked and their pretty good. 

The premise is actually funny.

There's no actual villain.

There's a nice message to it

The Bad
The generic betray your friends storyline. 

The one poop joke. 

Its pretty predictable  

Overall: Nice sweet animation to watch. 

Overall Grade: B

smallfoot_ver10.thumb.jpg.0dc3837fbaecddaaeca885d977e7347e.jpg

Hell Fest - Review (2018)

The Good
The Premise is awesome at least 

The Cast is pretty likeable.  

Tony Todd being in it 

The Bad
From the Director of Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension. 

Pretty lame and lazy jump scares like this movie. 

You seen it all before 

Where are all the security guards lol

The ending is pretty lame 

Overall: Hellfest would of been better with a better director.

Overall Grade: D

hell_fest_ver2.thumb.jpg.caa8c8622f76f29a3f00868af6b4dcc7.jpg

I just came back from seeing Night School.  IMO it was a very good and hilarious movie.  Everyone in my theatre was laughing hysterically.

I'm going to give it a B+

• Upvote 1

Adrift - Review (2018)

The Good
Shailene Woodley's performance she really carries this movie and makes it watchable. 

Sam Claflin is fine

Robert Richardson's fantastic cinematography. 

The Bad
Its starts with with tragic event with going back and forth through flashbacks which kinda makes the film disjointed, I know they didn't want it to make it like the 15;17 to Paris, but still. 

Its basically a story even though its definitely real its a story you seen a bunch of times. 

Woodley and Clafin's have no chemistry. 

Volker Bertelmann's bland score. 

Overall: Its a alright watchable True Survival story, but can't get it to fresh.

Overall Grade: C

adrift_ver2.thumb.jpg.5d8c271eb9ba28b70fc4ec47bcfae2c8.jpg

9 minutes ago, MDCFAN101 said:

Sadly its gonna break the October record and we probably will get a sequel and Sony starting its dumb universe 

Hoping though Halloween (2018) makes more on its opening weekend

50 minutes ago, sateler96 said:

Sadly its gonna break the October record and we probably will get a sequel and Sony starting its dumb universe 

Hoping though Halloween (2018) makes more on its opening weekend

Really?  It is doing that well in the box office?  TBH, it doesn't really surprise me considering how popular Venom is.  Venom is a commercially successful character.  A lot like Spider-Man.

Edited by MDCFAN101

Venom - Review (2018)

The Good
Tom Hardy tries his best with a terrible ass script even though sometimes he acts like a cartoon and that he sometimes has a bland emotion when he's doing super human shit when he first gets Venom.  

Even though the visuals are inconsistent, Venom at least is the most consistent. 

Eddie and Venom have better chemistry than Eddie and Anne. 

They fixed on how you pronounce symbiote from the terrible trailers. 

Stan Lee's cameo is the funniest thing in the movie.

The Bad
Michelle Williams is a wasted plot device with a terrible fake wig.

Hardy and Williams have no chemistry and what so ever and the love storyline feels forced as fuck. 

Riz Ahmed plays Carlton Drake / Riot,  probably the worst villain in a while even worse than Stephanwolf cause he's just generic and boring. 

Terrible Direction from Ruben Fleischer which makes him 1-3 in directing now it feels like he made 2 movies one that was a rushed not needed origin story and one that feels like a darker sequel cause Venom acts like a villain when you first see him and then he becomes a anti hero just like that. 

Jenny Slate horrible in this. 

Its takes almost a hour to see Venom. 

Terrible Dialogue , but that's what happens when you have the writers of 50 Shades of Shit, The Amazing Spider-Man 2, The Dark Tower, and The 5th Wave. 

Ludwig Göransson's bland score and the use of music in this is horrible and yes sadly Eminem's Venom is just in the credits, but even now its annoying to hear since they played a million times in the trailers. 

The horrible inconsistent CGI

Horrible editing with stuff like Venom visually popping out of Eddie its so weird. 

The unintentional attempts at humor 

They keep saying life over and over again its annoying as hell. 

So much similarities to the much worse Catwoman. 

Sometimes Venom sounds like a garbage disposal. 

The final battle is the most CGI blob fight I have ever seen. 

If you seen the trailers you seen the ending cause once again Sony is a bunch of retards. 

The first post credit scene is the biggest no shit and just wastes Woody Harrelson with a terrible ginger wig that makes him look like a Pennywise Reject. 

The other post credit scene has nothing to do with Venom but shows a much better looking Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse. 

Overall: Not even Tom Hardy will fix this mess of a movie sadly this might still get a sequel and set up the Sony Universe of Marvel Characters. 

Overall Grade: D+

venom_ver10.thumb.jpg.d51bddc769d7ae7c71c5646e9337c325.jpg

• Like 1

I just came back from seeing the Venom movie and here are my thoughts.

Negatives:

• The story.  While I understood it and got the gist of it, it really didn't move me.
  • Anne Weying was a horrible character.  Michelle Williams was nothing more than a bad plot device.  She felt wasted & almost useless.
  • The main villain Carlton Drake was awful.  One of the worst comic book movie villains I have seen.  The symbiote villain Riot was also bad.  You don't learn shit about him until towards the end of the movie which to me felt stupid as hell.
  • The CGI was a mixed bag. They were times I felt the symbiotes looked like somebody's shit.  No, I am not kidding, they were times I felt the symbiotes aka Klyntar looked like somebody's fecal matter.
  • The tone was inconsistent at times.
  • The PG-13 rating.  Venom is one of the most violent comic book characters out there.  He deserves an R rating. 
  • No connection to Spider-Man.  I'm still not feeling the idea of a universe where Venom has no ties to Spider-Man.

Positives:

• Tom Hardy.  Tom Hardy was excellent throughout the movie.  Granted, there were some scenes that I criticized but overall he did a great as Eddie Brock IMO. He was truly the heart and soul of this movie. He in many ways carried this movie on his back.  While I loved him as Venom, his performance as Bane in the Dark Knight Rises is superior.
  • The Venom symbiote was a very good character throughout the film.  The chemistry between him and Brock was great.  Truly felt right out of the comics.
  • The action/fight sequences were flat out phenomenal.  This movie has some really good action.  Seeing Venom kick ass was awesome
  • There were some really good comedic scenes in the movie.
  • The Stan Lee cameo was awesome.  It is awesome good seeing Stan Lee in a cameo.  After all, it is Stan Lee.
  • The scene of Brock interviewing Cletus KAsady I thought was pretty decent.  I thought Woody Harrelson did a fine job as Kasady.

Overall, this was an average movie experience for me.  I did get some enjoyment and entertainment from this movie.  However, as far as I am concerned, it is far from the best comic book movies I've ever seen, but at the same time, it is far from the worst comic book movies I've ever seen.  I would only go see this movie just to see Tom Hardy's performance and Venom in action.  I would recommend not paying full price.  Go see this movie on a Tuesday where you'll pay half-price.

Grade: C

Edited by MDCFAN101
  • Like 1

A Star is Born - Review (2018)

The Good
Oh man where to start, well first Lady Gaga is amazing as Ally that really transcends her into more than a singer turned actress that will definitely prove to people that she's multi talented, especially that after this she's definitely a front runner for Best Actress and wouldn't be surprised if she won it.  

Bradley Cooper delivers his best performance yet as Jackson Maine, which I feel he will also be the front runner for Best Actor and probably will win. He shows a very powerful performance that blows his past Best Supporting Actor (American Hustle) and Best Actor (American Sniper) performances out of the water. 

Their chemistry together is the reason why this movie works and its like watching magic on screen. 

Sam Elliot is also amazing as always as Bobby Maine and with the amount of scenes he has he definitely delivers and is gonna probably get nominated for the first time ever (surprisingly) for a Oscar for Best Supporting Actor. 

Bradley Cooper also directs the hell out of this movie with major confidence that you would have never thought it was his directorial debut. I'm pretty sure be will get a Best Director nomination, the way he directs the musical numbers and the extended dialogue scenes. 

The main music in the movie is amazing and "Shallow" will more than likely get nominated for Best Original Song and win and the other song "I'll Never Love You Again" will also probably get nominated. 

The film takes a good shot at the music industry as a whole with people who just take pictures of Jackson without even asking or calling by his full name all the time and once Alley's career lifts off that's when the commentary really shows when her manager just takes her image and look and changes it and just makes it souless. 

Dave Chappelle is only in one scene, but he still makes a pretty good impact on the film and I would like to see him in more films. 

Andrew Dice Clay is also great as Alley's father. 

Matthew Libatique's Fantastic Cinematography 

The Third Act of the film is truly heart breaking that it literally ripped my heart out by the time the credits finally hit I was already crying. 

The Bad 
If you seen the other versions then you seen this story told already, but I haven't so it doesn't really affect me, but it might effect other people. 

Overall: I was really hyped to see this movie after the first trailer blew me away and I'm happy that this movie is one of the best movies of the year that left me broken. 

FB_IMG_15387917665565278.thumb.jpg.70ba2039c47979a8450b5ce2a671c135.jpg

Edited by sateler96
  • Like 1

Sorry to Bother You - Review (2018)

The Good
Lakeith Stanfield is fantastic as he has been lately especially on Atlanta, but I'm happy he has a lead role in this. 

David Cross plays his white voice and its hilarious. 

Boots Riley gives a great directorial debut puts out a very different and original film that has some elements you seen before, but its handled in a more original and weird way and his screenplay is also really good. 

The other cast members are also really great like Tessa Thompson (who has very unique ear rings) and her white voice played by Lily James, Terry Crews, Danny Glover (who says he's too old for that shit), Steven Yeun, Armie Hammer Forest Whitaker, Rosario Dawson as a voice, Omari Hardwick and Patton Oswalt is his white voice, and Jermaine Fowler

The editing is also very good

Doug Emmett's cinematography is great. 

Tune-Yards and The Coop's score is weird as fuck but it works for this film. 

The 3rd act is fucking bonkers like completely bonkers especially the crazy ending. 

The Bad
The weird love triangle that comes out of no where and it goes no where. 

Overall: I have never seen a movie like this before that's so weird, but has confidence thanks to the direction by Boots Riley and its amazing cast.

Overall Grade: A

sorry_to_bother_you_ver10.thumb.jpg.05d94432102f5cbcba3e84a95eda554c.jpg

Apostle - Review (2018)

The Good
Dan Stevens is fantastic. 

Michael Sheen us also great as well as Mark Lewis. 

Its beautifully shot. 

While there is no insane awesome action there is a lot violent acts. 

If you go in watching this movie suspecting of how it will play out you will be very wrong and really puts you on your toes at all times 

Fajar Yusekemal and Aria Prayogi's fantastic score 

The Bad
The run time is way too long with it being 2 hours 10 minutes which is fine for most movies , but Evans makes you feel the length. 

When you hear Gareth Evans is doing a movie you might be expecting some good action like in The Raid and Raid 2, but in this you might feel very disappointed.

Sadly the female cast don't feel important enough. 

Overall: Its great to see Gareth Evans making another good film, I just hope he really does The Raid 3 next. 

Overall Grade: B+

apostle.thumb.jpg.ccb3b09fd449187ffee9f7481485892e.jpg

Edited by sateler96

First Man - Review (2018)

The Good
Ryan Gosling as Neil Armstrong gives a very fantastic understated performance that for sure has him a lock for a Oscar Nomination. 

Claire Foy as Janet Shearon could of turned into a generic housewife, but Foy is not some actress to play the part I mean she just won the Emmy for a reason and I'm pretty sure she is a lock for a Best Supporting Actress Nomination and maybe even win and she proves in one scene where she tells Neil to talk to their kids. 

Damien Chazelle proves once again he is the true star of the film with his direction being 3 for 3 now. 

Jason Clarke, Kyle Chandler, and Corey Stoll are all great especially Still who is very underrated and the rest of the other cast is also good. 

The Moon Landing Sequence is freaking incredible it makes you think their actually on the moon with phenomenal visual effects with a $59 Million budget which might give Avengers: Infinity War some competition for Best Visual Effects

Justin Hurwitz's Score is incredible if it doesn't get nominated for Best Original Score it would be a crime. 

The first 10 minutes will rip your heart out. 

Linus Sandgren who won Best Cinematography for La La Land does another amazing Cinematography job for First Man and is for a lock for a nomination. 

Should also be noted that the sound design was amazing. 

The Bad 
Some distracting shaky cam

Overall: Damien Chazelle does it again delivering another fantastic film. 

Overall Grade: A

first_man_ver4.thumb.jpg.4d33e9f3c65f3bbfb7134743e9267dc5.jpg

Bad Times at the El Royale - Review (2018)

The Good
Drew Goddard's direction is very ambitious with a style that is nearly the same as Tarantino as well as the writing. 

The Films cast is fantastic from everyone of the big stars like Jeff Bridges,  Dakota Johnson, Jon Hamm, Lewis Pullman, Chris Hemsworth 

Cynthia Erivo steals the movie though she is just great. 

The journey before the payoff with the mystery is interesting with a lot twist and surprises that makes it unpredictable.  

Seamus McGarvey's great  Cinematography

The choices of the songs was great. 

The Bad 
Jumping from flashback to main story is kinda jarring and it halts the momentum and suspense of the movie even though they help with character back stories and the Payoff at the end isn't really that great its OK. 

The length of the movie could of been trimmed cause some flash backs are just there and don't really mean anything by the end, I mean its good that Fox let Goddard do what he wanted but still.    

Cailee Spaeny is pretty annoying

Overall: Not as good as The Cabin in the Woods, but still solid movie that feels like The Hateful Eight bit but as great as that movie, but still can't wait to see what Goddard does next. 

Overall Grade: B 

bad_times_at_the_el_royale_ver10.thumb.jpg.0ba49b018d4dfd4ea011657600e3dca7.jpg

Goosebumps 2: Haunted Halloween - Review (2018)

The Good
The acting from the new kids are fine. 

Jack Black as Slappy is entertaining 

The 3rd act is the best part. 

The Bad 
The 1st movies cast are not in this except for Jack Black's R.L. Stine but even he is wasted. 

Slappy's big plan is actually pretty stupid with a repeat of the first film just with a dumb twist. 

The CGI is not as good as the first film sometimes it being really bad

Ken Jeong once again plays the same generic character like he is in every not so great movie he is in. 

It teases a sequel that we will probably never get. 

Overall: Good job Sony you made what was a surprisingly good first movie and bow you made a meh sequel. 

Overall Grade: C- 

6fht08lqegj11.thumb.jpg.78980f91c3505a66526a8c1184295920.jpg

Halloween - Review (2018)

The Good
Jamie Lee Curtis is fantastic and badass as Laurie Strode just wished the movie mainly focused on her and not the dumb grand daughter. 

Michael Myers is once again scary again he's not a big dumb lumberjack, he doesn't have a goofy shitty mask or CGI mask, he ain't impregnating his niece, he is the mother fucking Shape / Boogyman.and its great to have Nick Castle do some scenes.

David Gordon Green's solid direction. 

There's a lot of great on screen and off screen death scenes and the off screen deaths are more horrifying with a fantastic tracking shot paying respect to the original there's one in a bathroom that was intense and some kills do matter.  

Judy Greer is great as Karen Strode and she has a badass moment. 

Toby Huss as Ray (Karen's Husband) is really funny. 

Will Patton was good as Hawkins.

Jibrail Nantambu as Julian the boy who Vicky (Ally son's friend babysits) is one of the best parts and one of the smartest characters in the movie who just gets the hell out and he's where the comedy strongly worked also Vicky was also funny. 

The two podcasters were fine. 

John Carpenter's awesome new score every piece of music is great he obviously knows where to put his music in certain scenes where it fits and makes sense unlike the shitty dumb Rob Zombie movies where he just out it in scenes that didn't make sense cause he doesn't know anything. 

Also OPENING CREDITS ARE BACK. 

There's a good amount of nostalgia  

The 3rd act is insane and very suspenseful with a great nod to the original and a great three generations of women kicking ass.

The Bad
The plot twist with the dumb goofy cartoon Doctor was not needed it just feels lazy and it doesn't even really payoff, the OG 1978 film was simple and didn't need no twist. 

Some of the characters you don't care about like Andi Matichak as Allyson Strode (even though she is great in the movie) and some of her friends their just there to care about a school dance, boyfriend drama, sex, getting high like we don't need this old trope and their just there for Michael to either kill or run away from and a lot of the characters who are white dumb character stereotypes. 

The ending and I don't mean the ending before the credits I mean the post credit scene or whatever that shit was, now obviously this will make money and Blumhouse already a sequel like the morons they are and can't keep their mouths shut but when you actually see this movie you will be like how the fuck are they gonna do a sequel after that and why this was a perfect conclusion neither David Gordon Green, Danny McBride, John Carpenter or even Jamie Lee Curtis are coming back for a sequel that is coming next year and probably gonna be rushed and shit and we will get a whole string of shitty sequels again, its just annoying let things finally end and make other shit Blumhouse.

Overall: Obviously this is the best sequel in the Halloween franchise cause all of them are not that great or their ruined by the other shitty sequels way better than the Rob Zombie Abominations, but this is a true sequel to 1978 Halloween and true conclusion, sadly it won't be but if you wanna ignore possible future sequels then this is a true conclusion it just would of been little bit better if there was no dumb twist or sequel teasing bullshit. 

Overall Grade: B+ or A- (I'm still deciding)

Bohemian Rhapsody - Review (2018)

The Good
Rami Malek is Freddy Mercury... period he is insanely fantastic and should get a Best Actor Nomination even if the film is not great that should not stop the Academy for over looking his great performance . 

The Making of Bohemian Rhapsody Montage is freaking fantastic. 

If you love Queen music then you will definitely enjoy the movie even if its a mixed bag you still get to hear a lot of the best songs of all time. 

Mike Myer's cameo as EMI executive Ray Foster and its one of the best cameos and scenes of the film. 

Even though the CGI is bad the Live Aid Finale is fantastic. 

The Bad
Its a Paint By-The-Numbers safe Biopic it feels like Bryan Singer went on Wikipedia and just made the movie like that beat after beat.

Bryan Singer's messy and lazy direction with even more of a mess with Dexter Fletcher shooting the rest and doing editing you don't really know did the most of it but Singer does some really odd choices in sine sequences and with Lazy Text flying all over the screen, and a press conference sequence that he makes comical but it shouldn't be. 

The film just glossing over Mercury's sexuality and death which they still show it but its just glossed like its nothing and its a bunch of hush hush just to not offend people need a safe room or scare the Box Office cause Fox is a bunch of pansies. 

The pacing is very bad its all over the place the first act is horribly rushed and really badly edited then the 2nd act is very better paced its a very uneven film.

The weird CGI choices is bland and not good. 

Overall: Even though its a big mixed bag of a film you still get a memorable performance out of Rami Malek.

Overall Grade: C+

Edited by sateler96

The Nutcracker and the Four Realms - Review (2018)

The Good
Mackenzie Foy is OK at best.

James Newton Howard score is at least good

Keira Knightley who I thought was horrible actually had me fooled with a actual plot twist I didn't see coming so there's that at least. 

The Bad
Most of the other actors with give bland performances or just really cartoon performances. 

Morgan Freeman doesn't even know what movie he's in since he's just taking paychecks now.

The same can be said for Helen Mirren

Its basically souless and pointless from directors Lasse Hallström and Joe Johnston

The CGI is very bland. 

Overall: Disney usually has one crap film a year and this was the one. 

Overall Grade: D- 

The Night Comes For Us - Review (2018)

The Good
Iko Uwais, Joe Taslim, and Julie Estelle are badass as hell

Timo Tjahjanto's direction 

The Stunts and fight choreography is amazing just like The Raid 1 & 2, so many good fight sequences. 

The violence is amazing with a great use of gore.

Gunnar Nimpuno's cinematography 

The Bad
Its a little slow in the beginning but it picks up steam and never stops. 

Some of actors faces when they die are a little over the top. 

Overall: This is a great substitute for The Raid 3 since we might not get that. 

Overall Grade: A- 
FB_IMG_15416435852947286.thumb.jpg.be07675be8618c47d70124c7d56b4987.jpg

The Hate U Give - Review (2018)

The Good
Amandla Stenberg's real breakout performance (just ignore The Darkest Minds) this was a memorable and powerful performance.

George Tillman Jr.'s direction as he proves he cab make a actual fantastic all together film with a great message and of course based on a book but still. 

Russell Hornsby and Regina Hall also give really great performances as Starr's parents. 

Other great performances are KJ Apa, Lamar Johnson, Algee Smith, Issa Rae, Sabrina Carpenter, Common (he's always great), and Anthony Mackie, basically everyone is great there's not one bad performance. 

This definitely proves Young Adult Adaptations doesn't have to be a shit genre cause this is one of the best ones. 

Arlissa's "We Won't Move" is a really great song for the credits. 

The Bad
There looked like there would be a love triangle, didn't turn out that way (never read the book) so other than that I really didn't have any problems.

Overall: This was a really great film, sadly this might be one of the best underrated movies of the year.

FB_IMG_15418183935165218.thumb.jpg.02bcfe711e8582c7633a54bc67d7b035.jpg