The King of Hate Forums
MasterOfAwesomeness

Movie Review Thread 4.0: The Unnecessary Reboot

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have a very special movie review for you guys today.  Today, I will be reviewing the latest and most recent entry of the DC Extended Universe, Aquaman.  However, before I do that, let me give out a little background of myself in regards to the Aquaman movie for those who are new to me and my content. 

I am a huge fan of Aquaman.  I've been a huge fan of this character since childhood.  He is not only one of my top 10 DC characters, he is one of my top 10 superheroes of all time.  Growing up as a kid, I watched reruns of the Super Friends cartoons from the '70s and '80s, reruns of the classic Aquaman cartoons from the '60s, the DC Animated Universe, Batman: the Brave and the Bold, Young Justice, the DC Animated films, and of course reading the comics.  So you can already tell that this character means a lot to me.  For quite some time, Aquaman was the butt of the jokes among superheroes.  However, thanks to the likes of the DC Animated Universe, Batman: the Brave and the Bold, Young Justice, Injustice, the DC Animated films, and the New 52/Rebirth, Aquaman has received a boost of popularity and respect, but not enough to override the negative stigma surrounding him. 

When I heard that Jason Mamoa was casted to play Aquaman in 2014, I was interested in seeing what he does with the role.  I somewhat liked his cameo in Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice, I enjoyed him in Justice League, but he was a bit of a one note character to an extent.  So I was like, "Mamao is decent as Aquaman, but I think he can do better."  So when I heard the news that WB was doing an Aquaman movie, I was like, "It is about damn time. He's a founding member of the Justice League and he's one of the most badass superheroes around."  At least IMO anyway.  So, coming into this year, Aquaman was my most anticipated comic book and superhero movie of the year.  As I watched the trailers for the Aquaman movie, I was like, "That's what I'm talking about.  Now that's Aquaman."  Jason Mamoa's performance in the trailers got me more hyped for this movie, and by golly was I hyped.

So now, on to the review:

Positives

• The story was absolutely beautiful.  An excellent adaptation of the Throne of Atlantis story arc from 2012.  I also loved how they to took elements of Aquaman's origin from the Silver Age and New 52/Rebirth.
  • The acting performances from all the actors and actresses were simply marvelous.  Willem Dafoe was great Vulkos.  Amber Heard was awesome as Mora.  Dolph Lundgren was cool as King Nereus.  Yahya Abdul Mateen !! was spectacular as Black Manta.  Nicole Kidman was phenomenal as Queen Atlanta.  However, the two stars of the film for me were Jason Mamoa as Aquaman and Patrick Wilson as Ocean Master.  Jason Mamoa really embraces his role as Aquaman in this movie.  For those who were disappointed with him in Justice League, I promise you, you will not be disappointed with him in this movie.  Patrick Wilson did a spot on job portraying Ocean Master.  He really took the character right from the comics and brought him to life on the big screen.  As much as I liked Black Manta, Ocean Master to me proved to be DCEU's best villain since Zod.
  • There were some really good comedic moments. 
Spoiler

I laughed my ass so hard when I saw the giant squid play the drums during the Ring of Fire fight scene.

• The action sequences/fight scenes were OMG off the chain.  The fight choreography was just a thing of beautiful.  I felt I was watching real life comic book action.
  • The CGI, visuals, and special effects were absolutely god-like. 

Negatives/Complaints:

• TBQH, I don't have any negatives nor complaints about this movie.  There were no slow parts to the movie nor stupid/silly/unnecessary dialogue.   I had an epic time with this film.  James Wan did a hell of a job directing this movie.

Overall: Aquaman is IMO the best entry in the DC Extended Universe.  I know this may not say much to some folks, but, to me like me, this speaks volumes.  As I stated before James Wan did an incredible job directing this movie.  This movie does far superior job in taking the DCEU to a better and brighter direction.

Grade: A+

Edited by MDCFAN101

Dragon Ball Super: Broly - Review (2018)

The Good
Broly is given a much better and full canon back story and he's a better character that's not One Note and sad face looking

It erases the Bardock Movie from canon and now this is official showing Goku's mom for the first time

The Animation is beautiful 

The Fight Scenes are Phenomenal 

It shows the promise for Super Arcs. 

Whis is Boss

Goku also a big character progression as well.

The Montage of the Gotega fusion and Frieza getting absolute wrecked by Broly was beautiful. 

The Bad
The main reason why Frieza wants the Dragon Balls is....... SO DUMB. 

Frieza still doesn't learn his lesson 

Its quite short after the 20 something minutes of setting up a better Broly. 

Overall: This is the best Dragon Ball Super has looked animation wise and some of the fights are epic and like I said hopefully this does set up future arcs.

Overall Grade: A- 
FB_IMG_15460825394299636.thumb.jpg.385b01db29ce394f0c93be48e9ccdb4a.jpg

Green Book - Review (2018)

The Good
Powerful performances from both Viggo Mortensen (Tony Lip) and Mahershala Ali (Don Shirley). Their chemistry together is phenomenal they both carry this movie together and you love seeing them have conversations together and can just tell these 2 were actually great friends, both should easily get Oscar Nominations. 

Peter Farrelly's surprising fantastic direction this is definitely his best directorial effort.

Linda Cardellini is also great as Tony's wife.

Its a feel good warm hearted movie that is a fun ride with important subject matter. 

The music is great

Ali whenever he plays the Piano is amazing. 

The Bad
Nothing really I love this movie.

Overall: A really fun warm hearted movie showing the powerful friendship of Lip and Shirley from powerful performances from Mortensen and Ali.

Overall Grade: A+FB_IMG_15452564533677905.thumb.jpg.fcafa48f517ed5aa4bb824b5a4437782.jpg

The Favourite - Review (2018)

The Good
Olivia Colman' fantastic commanding performance she makes Queen Anne who could of been One Dimensional and instead makes her terrifying, hilarious and pitiable making her an actual character, definitely should be nominated for Best Actress , if she wins I can see why. 

Yorgos Lanthimos's amazing direction 

Rachel Weisz & Emma Stone are both fantastic in their supporting roles. They play off each other so well that they both deserve nominations for Best Supporting Actress.

Tony McNamara and Deborah Davis's witty screenplay. 

Nicholas Hoult's performance is hilarious which is probably his best role since Mad Max: Fury Road. 

Robbie Ryan's Gorgeous Cinematography

The Incredible Costumes & Production Design

This film does not have score instead it has a Classical Music Soundtrack from J.S. Bach, Handel, Schubert, Vivaldi and many more.

The Bad
If you seen Yorgos Lanthimos other films and watch this one you can tell its a little restrained.

Overall: This was a fantastic movie from top to bottom that was never really boring with 3 amazing performances even a 4th from Hoult. 

Overall Grade: A 

FB_IMG_15452556264902827.thumb.jpg.3be1c9d26a8b9fc6c5b598bb893c7c2e.jpg

I just came back from seeing Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse.  Let me give you guys my thoughts on it.

Positives:

• The story was awesome.  Well written, well structured, organized.  No plot holes.
  • The animation, CGI, visuals, special effects, character models, and character design were phenomenal.
  • The voice acting was top notch.  All the voice actors did a great job in their respective roles (i.e. Chris Pine as Spider-Man, Jake Johnson as Peter B. Parker, and Liev Schreiber as Kingpin).  None of them sounded weak nor phoned in. 
  • The action/fight sequences were off the chain.  They were nothing short of pure comic book action.
  • The Stan Lee cameo was great.  R.I.P. Stan Lee
  • The post credits scene was awesome and hilarious.
  • The best thing about the movie however, is the comedy.  The comedy is pure gold in this movie.  You will laugh your brains out while watching this.

Negatives:

• None

Overall: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse is an absolute blast.  One of the best films of 2018 and arguably the best animated film of 2018.  This is Sony's best Spider-Man film since Spider-Man 2 back in '04 and arguably one of the best Spider-Man films out there along with the first 2 Raimi films and Spider-Man: Homecoming.

Grade: A+

27 minutes ago, MDCFAN101 said:

Negatives:

• None

No negatives? I know im in the minority but I thought the movie was terrible. I didnt like the story or the voice acting.

1 hour ago, WallopMan said:

No negatives? I know im in the minority but I thought the movie was terrible. I didnt like the story or the voice acting.

How were the story and VA bad?  Use spoiler tags if needed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WallopMan said:

Whatever.  That's your opinion.  I enjoyed the film from beginning to end and so did a majority of people.

If you have a problem with my movie reviews, too bad.  Everyone is entitled to their own opinion just like you.

Edited by MDCFAN101

8 minutes ago, MDCFAN101 said:

Whatever.  That's your opinion.  I enjoyed the film from beginning to end and so did a majority of people.

Don't get offended man, I just didnt like it. Im sure plenty people liked it. Im just not 1 of them.

1 hour ago, MasterOfAwesomeness said:

How were the story and VA bad?  Use spoiler tags if needed.

I just thought pacing of the story was slow and not very interresting and I thought Spidermans voice was a bit "whiny".

Edited by WallopMan

Don't get offended man, I just didnt like it. Im sure plenty people liked it. Im just not 1 of them.

I just thought pacing of the story was slow and not very interresting and I thought Spidermans voice was a bit "whiny".

I didn't have a problem with it either I loved it , but I mean if you didn't like it then you didn't like it 

That's your opinion and I can respect that 

What were your personal favorite movies of this year?

12 minutes ago, sateler96 said:

I didn't have a problem with it either I loved it , but I mean if you didn't like it then you didn't like it 

That's your opinion and I can respect that 

What were your personal favorite movies of this year?

I listed my favorite superhero movies on the other thread, but favorite movies of the year? 

Avengers Infinity War

Black Panther

Equalizer 2

Mission Impossible

• Upvote 1

I listed my favorite superhero movies on the other thread, but favorite movies of the year? 

Avengers Infinity War

Black Panther

Equalizer 2

Mission Impossible

Nice I'm almost done with my Top 30 Best list (I've seen a lot of films this year) and my Top 20 Worst list 

• Upvote 1

Holmes and Watson - Review (3018)

The Good
Braun Strowman.... that's about it 

Thankfully its short..... thankgod

The Bad
Will Ferrell & John C. Reilly's Chemistry is gone they are horrible in this and with their terrible English accents and their annoying shouting. 

It wastes such an amazing cast like Ralph Fiennes, Kelly Macdonald, Rebecca Hall, Lauren Lapkus, Steve Coogan, Rob Brydon and Hugh Laurie

Etan Cohen's Terrible Direction

The PG-13 Rating really makes into a cartoon 

The humor is lazy, Luke its OK to make a Spoof movie but least make it funny. 

The Modern jokes are awful

A awful jerking off joke.

There's modern Rap .....

Overall: This is hands down the worst Sherlock Holmes film ever... good job Sony. 

Overall Grade: F

FB_IMG_15470601211986947.thumb.jpg.10cec578b02828999905c96b10eb7d97.jpg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sateler96 said:

Holmes and Watson - Review (3018)

The Good
Braun Strowman.... that's about it 

Thankfully its short..... thankgod

The Bad
Will Ferrell & John C. Reilly's Chemistry is gone they are horrible in this and with their terrible English accents and their annoying shouting. 

It wastes such an amazing cast like Ralph Fiennes, Kelly Macdonald, Rebecca Hall, Lauren Lapkus, Steve Coogan, Rob Brydon and Hugh Laurie

Etan Cohen's Terrible Direction

The PG-13 Rating really makes into a cartoon 

The humor is lazy, Luke its OK to make a Spoof movie but least make it funny. 

The Modern jokes are awful

A awful jerking off joke.

There's modern Rap .....

Overall: This is hands down the worst Sherlock Holmes film ever... good job Sony. 

Overall Grade: F

FB_IMG_15470601211986947.thumb.jpg.10cec578b02828999905c96b10eb7d97.jpg

You probably should've gave this film a F*CK YOU grade.

Replicas - Review (2019)

The Good
There's nothing absolute nothing

The Bad
Keanu Reeves acting is atrocious like he's reading off a script in front of him. 

Alice Eves atrocious performance 
It takes almost a hour to get the Replicas to actually work 

Keanu's character is a genius but he's actually a idiot and with the logic of time passed in the film he doesn't think of. 

The writing is mostly atrocious 

The dumb twist 

The visuals are horrible for the CGI robot, that some how has reeves voice........ HOW??

Thomas Middleditch  turns evil at the end.... I don't why (I know spoiler but who gives a shit your not gonna watch this trash.)

It definitely kills your brain cells

There's a sequel bait WHY???

Overall: This was a huge of Example of Why January is the Garbage month of Movie season, thank god Keanu still has John Wick , its just bad 1990's bad Sci-Fi.

Overall Grade: FUCK YOU 

replicas_ver6.thumb.jpg.0a23eb5cfdd8f557b6ad739c14191739.jpg

How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World - Review (2019)

The Good
The Excellent Voice cast - Jay Baruchel as Hiccup, Cate Blanchett as Valka, Craig Ferguson as Gobber the Belch, America Ferrera as Astrid, Jonah Hill as Snotlout Jorgenson, Kit Harington as Eret, Justin Rupple (Replacing TJ Miller) and Kristen Wiig as Tuffnut and Ruffnut Thorston, ]Christopher Mintz-Plasse as Fishlegs Ingerman, and Gerard Butler as Stoick the Vast (In Flashbacks)

Dean DeBlois's Excellent direction 
F. Murray Abraham as Grimmel is a better and more intimidating villain who is the one who killed all the Nightfurys 

Toothless and The Lightfury bonding scenes are beautiful

John Powell once again does the fantastic score. 

The Animation my god it just gets better each film with fantastic visuals. 

There's a cheesy love moment with a explosion but it works lol especially with the Romantic Flight Score track.

Fantastic call back to "Test Flight" and the song comes back at the end since its the best score music of the series.

The Sad, but satisfying beautiful ending , that did make me tear up... like a lot.

The Bad
Theres a weird ongoing joke of Snotlout trying to get with Hiccup's mom that could of been left out. 

Overall: This was definitely worth  the 5 year wait and is a satisfying conclusion to the one of the best movie trilogies.   

Overall Grade: A 

how_to_train_your_dragon_the_hidden_world.thumb.jpg.cd0e0f347c72dae94ec135290e19538c.jpg

Reign of the Superman - Review (2019)

The Good
Superboy is awesome voice by Cameron Monaghan who is a better Superboy than his shitty Joker on Gotham.

Lois Lane is still a strong character 

Steel is awesome (Still need a better Live Action Adaptation that's not Shaq)

Black Suit Mullet Superman (that the shitty Live Action JL movie failed to do.)

Rainn Wilson's voice is better in this as Lex Luthor.

The Bad
The Final Fight isn't as epic as it was in Death of Superman

The animation could be better.

Darkseid tease. 

The Justice League is mostly wasted. 

Overall: Not as good as Death of Superman, but still enjoyable 

Overall Grade: B-

49496060_572567733167275_3387065407633726384_n.thumb.jpg.a6b7a174ca0c265cb9b3ff5919a48852.jpg

5 hours ago, sateler96 said:

Reign of the Superman - Review (2019)

The Good
Superboy is awesome voice by Cameron Monaghan who is a better Superboy than his shitty Joker on Gotham.

Lois Lane is still a strong character 

Steel is awesome (Still need a better Live Action Adaptation that's not Shaq)

Black Suit Mullet Superman (that the shitty Live Action JL movie failed to do.)

Rainn Wilson's voice is better in this as Lex Luthor.

The Bad
The Final Fight isn't as epic as it was in Death of Superman

The animation could be better.

Darkseid tease. 

The Justice League is mostly wasted. 

Overall: Not as good as Death of Superman, but still enjoyable 

Overall Grade: B-

49496060_572567733167275_3387065407633726384_n.thumb.jpg.a6b7a174ca0c265cb9b3ff5919a48852.jpg

TBH, while I loved Supes in the black suit, I wasn't too crazy about him having a mullet.