The King of Hate Forums
MasterOfAwesomeness

Movie Review Thread 4.0: The Unnecessary Reboot

51 minutes ago, Darksphere92 said:

i thought that's when he was the White Version.

No thats Anti-Venom 

Venom starts as a villain but later becomes Anti-Hero when Carnage comes 

• Like 1

Instant Family - Review (2018)

The Good
The Performances from Mark Wahlberg, Rose Byrne, Isabela Moner, and Octavia Spencer

Sean Anders improved direction  from making shitting movies like That's My Boy and both Daddy's Homes this is his best work.

Its very heartwarming

The Bad
Some jokes go to long

Its paint by numbers

Julie Hagerty is a cartoon 

Overall: Very good heartfelt movie for the family 

Overall Grade: B+

180077341_Instant_Family(1).thumb.jpg.3ae45f8d65ea95613509bd5577501fe3.jpg

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 3:52 PM, sateler96 said:

Creed II - Review (2018)

The Good
Michael B. Jordan is fantastic who might be even better in this than the First Creed. 

Sylvester Stallone as Rocky Balboa is of course is fantastic who takes a more subdued role this time and has a fitting send off to his character.....even though I still wanna see more Rocky. 

Tessa Thompson as Bianca is amazing and has a more expanded role in this (especially in the last act of the film at the final fight). 

Even though Ryan Cooler is surely missed as a Director,  Steven Caple Jr. does a really great job in making a great film as his first major film, which could of been a big misfire. 

The Dragos get a lot of character development which is surprising their actual human beings and not cartoon characters like in Rocky IV, which that film had a villain. In Creed II there is no villain. 

The Boxing Fight scenes are intense. 

It feels like a true ending to the Rocky Franchise and if it does become the last film I will be OK with that, even though there will be another Creed film. 

The Bad
Its predictable, I mean every sequel is predictable in this franchise, but with Creed did some new stuff even though it was almost the same as Rocky, even though if it did try to change it would be another Rocky V......

Ryan Coogler's Direction is missed there's no one shot take boxing matches.   

Overall: I was quite worried at first that Coogler wasn't doing this, but i m quite surprised of a great sequel to Creed we got even though its not better than the first or Rocky. 

Overall Grade: A-

IMG_20181026_184215.thumb.jpg.0d93a2bc013aa8425291d6731d208269.jpg

What is your favorite entry in the Rocky series?  Mine is Rocky IV.

1 hour ago, MDCFAN101 said:

What is your favorite entry in the Rocky series?  Mine is Rocky IV.

The original 

1. Rocky

2. Creed

3. Creed II

4. Rocky Balboa

5. Rocky II

6. Rocky III

7. Rocky IV

8. Rocky V (Shit)

37 minutes ago, sateler96 said:

The original 

1. Rocky

2. Creed

3. Creed II

4. Rocky Balboa

5. Rocky II

6. Rocky III

7. Rocky IV

8. Rocky V (Shit)

I heard a lot of bad things about Rocky V yet I haven't even watched it myself.

Unsane - Review (2018)

The Good
Claire Foy is amazing  her performance was very engaging and through the film her past starts to unfold.

Joshua Leonard is also really good as one of the orderlys with a creepy motive. 

Steven Soderbergh's direction so happy he's out of retirement.

Jay Pharoah is surprisingly great in this.

The film was shot all on a iPhone 7 Plus

Matt Damon's cameo

The Bad
I don't think filming on a iPhone 7 Plus is gonna change the way movies are now made. 

Foy's character decisions are questionable throughout the film. 

Overall: I do like Psychological Horror and its good to see another good one. 

Overall Grade: B+

unsane.thumb.jpg.304c26b5290b7523b85f89c56e9b150d.jpg

First Reformed - Review (2018)

The Good
Ethan Hawkes subtle performance

Paul Schrader's Direction 

Amanda Seyfried and Cedric Kyles (The Entertainer) are also fantastic 

Paul Schrader's screenplay

Lustmord's Score

Alexander Dynan's Cinematography 

The Bad
It can be too long

That crazy disturbing ending that I was no expecting.

Overall: Another great A24 movie ,but can't recommend to everyone.

first_reformed.thumb.jpg.5689bffb9440b7be4cb086f7fa26acaa.jpg

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse - Review (2018)

The Good
The Animation is Phenomenal with Bob Persichetti, Peter Ramsey and Rodney Rothman  Direction that pay tribute to comic book origins and style. Also with a $90 Million budget is quite impressive. 

The Incredible Voice Cast from Shameik Moore as  Miles Morales, Hailee Steinfeld as Gwen Stacy, Jake Johnson as Peter B. Parker, Liev Schreiber as Wilson Fisk and, of course, Nicolas Cage as Spider-Noir.

Also Brian Tyree Henry as Jefferson Davis-Morales, Lily Tomlin as Aunt May, Mahershala Ali as Aaron Davis, John Mulaney as Peter Porker / Spider-Ham, and 2 Cameo Voices that I won't spoil that I had no idea were in the film, one is in the beginning and one is in the post credits scene.  

You care a lot about Miles story and they focus a lot I'd time on it which is great. 

Its hilariously meta especially with a certain reference to Spider-Man 3 that is hilarious. 

The 3rd act is amazing and stunning with beautiful animation. 
The Action is incredible that maybe be the best in any Spider-Man Film. 

The film knows how to have fun. 

Some Sony Animations films are usually the same but this is very different thankfully. 

The insane Post Credits scene. 

The Bad
Nothing really . 

Overall; This is the best Spider-Man film, see Sony when you have people who actually care about the product and not make shit films like Venom.

Overall Grade: A+

FB_IMG_15447845713055979.thumb.jpg.dab95c7bc480a4e21b9a74894b67568c.jpg

• Like 1

Roma - Review (2018)

The Good
Yalitza Aparicio perofmance is fantastic and should be nominated at the Oscars, but probably won't. 

Of course Alfonso Cuarón's Direction is amazing the dude hasn't disappointed me yet.

The 1970's Mexico setting is great. 

The Sound Design deserve a Oscar nomination. 

Alfonso Cuarón's insane Cinematography 

Though it is a slow burn and it is annoying the Third Act is a Emotional Devastating Sledgehammer to the gut. 

The Bad
Alfonso Cuarón's script is probably the weakest part because its a plot we seen before so there's nothing new really doesn't mean its bad just more of the same. 

Its quite long with Cuarón taking too long on certain scenes. 

Overall: Roma is one of the years Best Films, easily the best Foreign Film (even though its really the only one I seen other than The Night Comes for Us), but it will win Best Foreign Film.

FB_IMG_15448213631749281.thumb.jpg.8b0a2659169d3fca852eaab74ac23c17.jpg

Bumblebee - Review (2018)

The Good
Hailee Steinfeld as Charlie Watson is fantastic. Finally after 11 years, 5 movies we finally have a likeable Human Protagonist who gives a fantastic performance with emotional payoff. 

Bumblebee is finally the character he's supposed to be and not directed by Michael Bay who hates the franchise and only sought greed out of it. With fantastic visual effects (the best in the series in my opinion) Bee's face actually has expression and it doesn't seem like the characters are looking at nothing you can believe Bumblebee is actually there, he also has sweet moments with Steinfields character.  

Travis Knight's Direction who is the first director to actually helm a Transformers movie after Bay holding the past 11 years for films hostage and not caring one bit about the Transformers, finally we have someone like Travis Knight who actually loves the series and actually makes a great movie. Its like if we get rid of Michael Bay you can have a good movie who would of thought?

John Cena as Agent Jack Burns is great, he isn't a asshole like most of the government people in the Bay films or annoying. Cena is also hilarious. 

Actual good comedy that works that doesn't include awkward, uncomfortable humor like Sex jokes, Romeo and Juliet jokes, Dogs fucking jokes, Mom Pot jokes...NONE OF THAT SHIT is in this film THANK THE GODS. 

The Action Sequences are fantastic and you can actually see them its not terrible shaky can or terrible action you can't see that Michael Bay did.  

The design of the Transformers and transformations are clearly love for the G1 classic Transformers.  

The 80's Soundtrack especially The Touch by Stan Bush!!!!!!!!!!!!! Finally in a Transformers film they use the song of the 80's movie. 

It I think erases all the Michael Bay films....Thank God even erases the dumb thing of Bumblebee being in World War II since its the 80's in the movie. Even though it has 1 nod to the first film the 1977 Chevrolet Camaro (not a big spoiler), but it would be nice to make this the first film in a rebooted series and just erase the other 5 films. 

The side characters are not groanful annoyances like in the Bay films. 

The Bad
Angela Bassett and Justin Theroux, Shatter and Dropkick are fantastic Decepticon villains, but they waste time trying to team (trick) up with the government and we all know where that goes lol. 

Overall: Finally for the first time ever we have a actual great Transformers movie and its not made by Michael Bay, I know I based Bay in this review, but its true Bay doesn't like this series, so hopefully Paramount keeps the tradition of finding directors like Travis Knight that love Transformers so we get more good films.

Overall Grade: A

1b5p9ji8fxx11.thumb.jpg.873454999164db6a694ba3aa903c4503.jpg

• Like 1

The House that Jack Built - Review (Short) (2018)

Its hard to review this type of film, cause it is good because of the performance of Matt Dillon who carries this movie through its 5 Incidents Acts Structure plus The Epilogue its definitely a good movie for Psychological classes, but then the ending turns into this whole religion thing that Lars von Trier of art and over explaining art other than it is very violent, disturbing and unsettling and its not for everyone.

Overall Grade; B-

FB_IMG_15451980390748390.thumb.jpg.c158de418d84a22cc21a34179f694958.jpg

The Sisters Brothers - Review (2018)

The Good
The Performances of John C. Reilly and Joaquin Phoenix really carry the movie as well as Riz Ahmed who makes up for his terrible performance from Venom and Jake Gyllenhaal who usually always good. 

When the 4 come together its like magic on screen. 

Some of the comedy works 

Jacques Audiard Direction

Alexandre Desplat fantastic score

The Bad
But they soon take away that magic so that's kinda disappointing

It doesn't really bring anything new to the Western Genre. 

Theresa no cool final Western showdown. 

Overall: Pretty fun Western

Overall Grade: B

sisters_brothers_ver3.thumb.jpg.c2dab5820b760bf30484ef33bdabebb4.jpg

Bird Box - Review (2018)

The Good
Strong Performances from Sandra Bullock, Trevante Rhodes, John Malkovich, Lil Rel Howery, Jacki Weaver, and Danielle Macdonald

The premise copies The Happening, but does a better job of doing it cause its not the Dumb Trees killing people its some invisible creature. 

Susanne Bier's Direction.

The Atmosphere works. 

The Bad
But it also copies A Quiet Place instead of making sound you can't look at it, and A Quiet Place does it better. 

BD Wong and Sarah Paulson are wasted. 

Some characters do stupid shit.

You never really get to see what the monsters look like or how it came to be (I mean A Quiet Place didn't explain fully either but it gave you hints) 

Overall: Another enjoyable Netflix film with Strong Performances

Overall Grade: C+

bird_box.thumb.jpg.1fbc36fd1bdeb9031bb1df592f824b5e.jpg

Guys, I finally watched Toy Story 3.  Great film.

Grade: A+

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 4:19 PM, Darksphere92 said:

i thought that's when he was the White Version.

No.  I mean, the Anti-Venom saga was a redemption period for Eddie, but he became an anti-hero when Carnage showed up.

mid90's - Review (2018)

The Good
Jonah Hill's fantastic direction in his directorial debut with adding certain songs and pulling fantastic performances. 

Speaking of performances 
Sunny Suljic (Who plays Atreus in God of War) carries this movie. 

Katherine Waterston is fantastic as well and Lucas Hedges

Most of the other older kids are actual real Skaters

Its raw and feels real and actually feels like its in the 90's

The Bad
The Abrupt ending 

When something happens at the end they kinda go unpunished or lucky. 

Overall: Really great first film for Jonah Hill, I can't wait to see what he does next 

mid_nineties.thumb.jpg.4eebb860cdbd733d070ee9b4100a065d.jpg

On 10/13/2018 at 5:56 PM, sateler96 said:

Bad Times at the El Royale - Review (2018)

The Good
Drew Goddard's direction is very ambitious with a style that is nearly the same as Tarantino as well as the writing. 

The Films cast is fantastic from everyone of the big stars like Jeff Bridges,  Dakota Johnson, Jon Hamm, Lewis Pullman, Chris Hemsworth 

Cynthia Erivo steals the movie though she is just great. 

The journey before the payoff with the mystery is interesting with a lot twist and surprises that makes it unpredictable.  

Seamus McGarvey's great  Cinematography

The choices of the songs was great. 

The Bad 
Jumping from flashback to main story is kinda jarring and it halts the momentum and suspense of the movie even though they help with character back stories and the Payoff at the end isn't really that great its OK. 

The length of the movie could of been trimmed cause some flash backs are just there and don't really mean anything by the end, I mean its good that Fox let Goddard do what he wanted but still.    

Cailee Spaeny is pretty annoying

Overall: Not as good as The Cabin in the Woods, but still solid movie that feels like The Hateful Eight bit but as great as that movie, but still can't wait to see what Goddard does next. 

bad_times_at_the_el_royale_ver10.thumb.jpg.0ba49b018d4dfd4ea011657600e3dca7.jpg

i agree with the review.

but i think it should have had the song Hotel California by The Eagles in it

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Darksphere92 said:

i agree with the review.

but i think it should have had the song Hotel California by The Eagles in it

I'd agree with you but the film was set in 1969 and that song didn't come out till 1976

Mary Poppins Returns - Review (2018)

The Good
Obviously Emily Blunt as Mary Poppins is the beat part of the movie she's just has confidence and charisma.

The amazing supporting cast like Lin-Manuel Miranda, Ben Withshaw, Collin Firth, Dick Van Dyke, Angela Lansbury. 

The fantastic music

The amazing Animated sequence.

It doesn't push nostalgia down your throat. 

The Bad
Rob Marshall's uninspired safe direction, even it is his best film since Chicago it feels he was a fluke sometimes. 

Its a drag in the opening cause your waiting for Mary Poppins

Meryl Streep's awful cameo as Mary Poppins cpusin (witb a awful cringy accent) and awful musical sequence the only bad music choice of the film. 

The film gives a easy way to solve the films overall problem. 

Overall: It has its flaw and no where as fantastic as the perfect first film its still a fun film. 

mary_poppins_returns_ver2.thumb.jpg.e0ff40abef4de3b41e4d39ba2113db52.jpg

• Upvote 1

The Mule - Review (2018)

The Good
Clint Eastwood's performance and his decent direction. 

The other performances are good from Bradley Cooper, Laurence Fishburne, Michael Peña, Alison Eastwood.

It can be unpredictable at times. 

Yves Bélanger's solid cinematography. 

The Last Act is the best part. 

The Bad
There's really no dramatic weight to the film to make me wanna care from Nick Schenk script unlike Gran Torino

The CIA plot isn't as interesting as the main plot. 

Some weird uses of humor 

Arturo Sandoval's meh score

Overall: Decent outing for Clint Eastwood thankfully its not awful like his other film this year The 15:17 to Paris.

mule.thumb.jpg.b83daccfedbf5852d45129b803f341cf.jpg

1 minute ago, sateler96 said:

The Mule - Review (2018)

The Good
Clint Eastwood's performance and his decent direction. 

The other performances are good from Bradley Cooper, Laurence Fishburne, Michael Peña, Alison Eastwood.

It can be unpredictable at times. 

Yves Bélanger's solid cinematography. 

The Last Act is the best part. 

The Bad
There's really no dramatic weight to the film to make me wanna care from Nick Schenk script unlike Gran Torino

The CIA plot isn't as interesting as the main plot. 

Some weird uses of humor 

Arturo Sandoval's meh score

Overall: Decent outing for Clint Eastwood thankfully its not awful like his other film this year The 15:17 to Paris.

mule.thumb.jpg.b83daccfedbf5852d45129b803f341cf.jpg

Can you please me what the mule is all about?  Without spoiling the movie of course.

1 minute ago, MDCFAN101 said:

Can you please me what the mule is all about?  Without spoiling the movie of course.

Broke, alone and facing foreclosure on his business, 90-year-old horticulturist Earl Stone takes a job as a drug courier for a Mexican cartel. His immediate success leads to easy money and a larger shipment that soon draws the attention of hard-charging DEA agent Colin Bates. When Earl's past mistakes start to weigh heavily on his conscience, he must decide whether to right those wrongs before law enforcement and cartel thugs catch up to him.

2 hours ago, sateler96 said:

Broke, alone and facing foreclosure on his business, 90-year-old horticulturist Earl Stone takes a job as a drug courier for a Mexican cartel. His immediate success leads to easy money and a larger shipment that soon draws the attention of hard-charging DEA agent Colin Bates. When Earl's past mistakes start to weigh heavily on his conscience, he must decide whether to right those wrongs before law enforcement and cartel thugs catch up to him.

Good to know.  I heard it is based on a true story.