The King of Hate Forums
MasterOfAwesomeness

Movie Review Thread 4.0: The Unnecessary Reboot

The Secret Life of Pets 2 - Review (2019)

The Good
The Voice Cast from Patton Oswalt, Eric Stonestreet, Kevin Hart (who steals this movie again), Jenny Slate, Tiffany Haddish, Lake Bell, Nick Kroll, Dana Carvey, Ellie Kemper, Hannibal Buress, Harrison Ford, Bobby Moynihan, Chris Renaud, Tara Strong

The obvious animal jokes

The animation looks better than the first as it should

The Bad
The Plot is not as good as the first film where it mainly focused on the 2 main dogs and everything else was side plot in this their almost treated like the aide plot and Kevin Hart's character is the main plot which to be honest is pretty forgettable. 

The poop jokes 

Alexandre Desplat's forgettable score

Its shorter than the first movie. 

As a sequel it doesn't really develop its characters other than the main dog. 

Final Thoughts: Its a OK animated movie to put on for kids but nothing to be remembered about as I thought the first movie was better, but if wanna see probably the better animated movie save money for Toy Story 4.

Final Grade: C
secret_life_of_pets_two_ver15.thumb.jpg.cfc2bae6d618c2b5e852f6ed84cf00fc.jpg

Godzilla: King of the Monsters - Review (2019)

The Good
When we do get the Monster Fights there fucking awesome seeing Godzilla, Mothra, Rodan, and  King Ghidorah all in battle is really cool. 

Millie Bobby Brown is probably the only character I liked everyone else I wished died. 

The Kaiju have personalities and facial expressions like their actually characters in a movie that just don't talk which is pretty cool. 

The Massive Destruction when it is shown on screen (sometimes it can go so far with the humans making it look like 1998 Zilla though)

Bear McCreary's score is amazing. 

Fantastic Visual Effects.

The Bad
Too Many Fucking Characters like why do we need this many in a Godzilla film and we keep focusing on them too which wouldn't be a problem if we had better writing but we dont , poor Sally Hawkins is WASTED and so is Charles Dance who probably wishes he was back on Game of Thrones and all the humans are fucking idiots 

The Writing oh my god its terrible, its incredibly bad and lazy and full of cliches like Godzilla saves the humans countless times and you know when its gonna happen too. 

Michael Doughtery's forgettable direction

The Humor does not work at all maybe from Ice Cube's son but that's it. 

The teasing of Kong is like too much we hear Skull Island so many times and like how are they gonna fight Kong is no where as big as Godzilla and if they do fight its just gonna be like Batman v. Superman where were gonna have the Evil Charles Dance character and evil misfits try to get them to fight but there's gonna be a bigger monster where they have to team up, both movies from Warner Brothers. 

There's no singular Battle Sequence like the 2014 Godzilla cause every battle or every encounter is interrupted by the Humans cause we keep cutting back to them. 

A lot of eye rolling scenes 

In the final act its dark as fuck cause its at night and raining but for some reason its too dark. 

Final Thoughts: Gotta be honest I think the 2014 Godzilla is a better film and that barely had Godzilla but least it has one amazing fight at the very end, this one I have to say is very disappointing as the saying goes bigger doesn't always mean better. 

Overall Grade: C-

godzilla_king_of_the_monsters_ver9.thumb.jpg.e7e996897df3c20467b0b3cc91694391.jpg

• Upvote 2

Rocketman - Review (2019)

The Good
Taron Egerton' s amazing performance as Elton John and what makes his performance a more stand out to a recent biopic Bohemian Rhapsody's Rami Male, Taron actually sings in the film unlike Malek in his film which he doesn't just play a cover of the singer like Malek did, Egerton actually becomes Elton and should be nominated for Best Actor if Rami got nominated then so should Taron. 

Dexter Fletcher who did the surprisingly feel good Eddie the Eagle and was hired to finish Bohemian Rhapsody (he could only save so much of that movie), makes his best movie to date who makes the film a blast to watch from start to finish never leaving you bored at all. 

Lee Hall's really good screenplay with just great dialogue. 

The Supporting cast is also fantastic, Jamie Bell, who plays Elton John's long-time, cool-headed lyricist Bernie Taupin, Richard Madden as his ruthless manager and lover John Reid, and Bryce Dallas Howard as his thoroughly unsupportive mother Sheila.

Stephen Graham playing Dick James is fantastic . 

The musical set pieces that each song matches a certain moment of Elton John's life that doesn't seem forced like his iconic hits the best scene being Rocketman of course and their shot incredibly well. 

This will be another shot taken at the meh Bohemian Rhapsody, but this movie doesn't sanitise Elton John's Sexuality like "BR" did with Freddie Mercury, which apparently this is the first Major Hollywood film to show Gay Male Sex on Screen, don't know if that is entirely true, but if it then that is crazy. 

There incredible gut punching drama in this movie that shows a lot of scenes to make you emotional maybe like the decades where his parents show little interest in him and his drug addiction in his later years. 

Its rated R without being forced (like the garbage Motley Crue movie The Dirt that just showed excessive cocaine, Boobs, sex, said fuck every scene) this movie is just for a mature audience and doesn't neuter the film with a PG-13 rating like Bohemian Rhapsody. 

The Bad
It does have some Musical Biopic cliches. 

The scene "Saturday Night is Alright for Fighting" is playing is a little corny lol. 

Final Thoughts: If it wasn't said enough, Rocketman is basically the musical biopic that Bohemian Rhapsody should've been. Soulful, utterly convincing and ludicrously entertaining in every way that the Queen biopic feels overly sanitised, generic and oddly forgettable, it is a triumph that deserves every drop of Bohemian Rhapsody's success and more cause this movie is fantastic. 

Overall Grade: A-

RKTMN_Payoff_Cdn_EN.thumb.jpg.04a62137d40dfd420e6e4567a5686b3b.jpg

Dark Phoenix - Review (2019)

The Good
James McAvoy is still fantastic as Charles Xavier who never phones it in even if the movie and dialogue is utterly atrocious he tries so fucking hard to make the most of a terrible script since he is in the movie more than any character. 

Sophie Turner is surprisingly good as Jean Grey / Dark Phoenix in which in Apocalypse she was OK this movie she is a bit better even with a terrible script. 

Hans Zimmer's Memorable Score.

The fast pacing and shot runtime (thankgod) cause  the movie is so boring you'all be thankful that in not long. 

The Bad
Simon Kindbergs HORRIBLE Direction which is baffling to let him helm a $200+ Million budget movie which he tries to copy very poorly Bryan Singer's style instead of bringing his own style which a lot of the action and dialogue shots are very slopping including one battle scene that is HORRIBLY edited and the beginning rescue mission feels rushed with the 3rd act being uneventful and forgettable. 

As well as his Painfully bad Script that is a mish-mash of on-the-nose exposition and woefully generic "badass" superhero movie quipping
Especially the one awful life where Mystique should call the X-Men the X-Women, but worse of all Jessica Chastain probably gets the worst bit of Dialogue. 

Most of the cast are utterly wasted, first off Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique once again phones in it which to be honest at this point I can see why, she doesn't even want be in this movie. 

Michael Fassbender as Magneto who surprisingly shows up mid way in the film who just gives a few menacing looks and barely does shit, at least he doesn't turn evil again I guess. 

Jessica Chastain who plays the main villain who is an alien shape shifter who is utterly forgettable probably as bad as Stephenwolf who doesn't even emote and who SHOCKLY (not really) tries to manipulate Jean Grey not like that hasn't happen before. 

Most of the main X-Men aren't given much to do (poor Cyclops), but worse of all is Quicksilver who is sidelined in the middle of the film for no reason to be honest and he doesn't even do a memorable bad ass slow more scene what a way to go out never to be seen again. 

The Dull and boring plot where it is bogged down by so much shit going on whether it's Mystique (Jennifer Lawrence) yearning to leave the X-Men, Magneto (Michael Fassbender) yet again flirting with his dark side or shape-shifting aliens descending upon Earth it just feels that the story was being rewritten so many times on set. 

There's no Emotional Impact where Jean Grey being consumed by the Phoenix Force feels rushed with a terrible sub plot and Spoiler Alert but not really since they showed you in the trailers Mystique's death you don't even care cause its so laughable that you knew it was gonna happen its the total opposite of Logan where Wolverine died you actually were emotionally attached to Hugh Jackman's character when he died we were in tears, where as J-Law's Mystique who also probably didn't care for her character anyway after Days of Future Past there is just no tears to be shed.

Final Thoughts:  Dark Phoenix is a HUGE misfire like we all figured it would be but its much much worse that is a very forgettable ending to a 12 Movie convoluted Franchise it even teases a sequel that we will never get to see and thankfully so too after this.

Overall Grade: F+

dark_phoenix_ver18.thumb.jpg.a7e774128a39759c112365a5cfef0831.jpg

• Upvote 2

Ma - Review (2019)

The Good
Octavia Spencer is fantastic in this movie even with terrible writing who makes this watchable. 

The premise is interesting (but ultimately wasted)

When Spencer starts killing its awesome just wished she killed some of the asshole annoying characters since they were unlikable. 

The Bad
It doesn't fully commit to its crazy premise like its a very tamed R Rating. 

Everyone is unlikable besides maybe Octavia Spencer and someone else that is a spoiler cause their all idiots who could easily just end the movie and do the right thing, right away instead of escalating things

Tate Taylor's meh direction

Allison Janney is pretty wasted. 

Meh script

Final Thoughts: Octavia Spencer is amazing in what could of been a cool thriller instead it just her giving a great and memorable performance in a eh film.

ma.thumb.jpg.a3d0af1eb1a894efe29b7f022c650d7b.jpg

The Hustle - Review (2019)

The Good
Anne Hathaway and Rebel Wilson at least make it somewhat watchable. 

The Bad 
Its a Female Remake of Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Which is better obviously) which would of been fine if it was directed and written better. 

Chris Addison's terrible direction

The script is not funny or witty, its just shallow, empty with no fun, with part of it having Rebel doing the obviously fat jokes which is tiring cause you seen her do that a thousand times. 

Anne Dudley dull score. 

Final Thoughts: If you wanna see a better version of this movie go watch Dirty Rotten Scoundrels or the original Bedtime Story and just skip this pile of shit. 

Overall Grade: F

hustle.thumb.jpg.32b29c80b99f8271a22d70843f1f83db.jpg

Men in Black: International - Review (2019)

The Good
Chris Hemsworth and Tessa Thompson are both great and their chemistry together are perfect to make this movie watchable. 

It has one actual heart warming scene. 

Kumail Nanjiani as Pawny I thought would be annoying, but ended be useful to the movie. 

Frank the Dog cameo. 

The Bad
F. Gary Gray's Direction it doesn't feel like his normal style of directing it just felt like another Men in Black film which is very disappointing. 

Laurent and Larry Bourgeois were pretty scary looking but were bland enemies. 

Rebecca Ferguson was pretty wasted as with Liam Neeson and Emma Thompson (who is great) but should of been in it more. 

The actions scenes were pretty lame. 

The Humor is hit or miss

Hit or miss visuals. 

Final Thoughts: Even with a new Director for the series MIB:I just feels like another Men in Black film and we yet to have a film as great as the first. 

FB_IMG_1560494961418.thumb.jpg.acd2b6d683e41d609321f7dcf842fa52.jpg

The Intruder - Review (2019)

The Good
Dennis Quaid is the best part of this shit fest of the movie 

The Bad
Everything literally everything 

Also there's a whole lot of Soft Core music video style sex scenes

Its just the same as any other screen gems generic movie like this 

It takes itself way too seriously 

Overall: Don't waste money on this shit fest that just shows once again Screen Gems and Sony are a shit movie company.

Overall Grade: F

D5V2GViXoAAq_zz.thumb.jpg.505469b139cd63fb9d8a21715f999c96.jpg

I just watched the 2014 Robocop movie and I have to say I was very impressed with the film.  I was very intrigued with the fresh, and new modern take on the Robocop character.  Not as good as the original film but still a damn good movie.

Grade: A-

Toy Story 4 - Review (2019)

The Good
Josh Cooley very great Directorial debut, its very fast paced with surprisingly great feels. 

The amazing voice talent stand outs obviously were Tom Hanks as Woody, Tim Allen as Buzz Lightyear , Annie Potts as Bo Peep, Tony Hale as Forky, Keegan-Michael Key and Jordan Peele as Ducky and Bunny, Christina Hendricks as Gabby Gabby, Keanu Reeves as Duke Caboo. 

The other Toy Characters are great too as well as some cameo voices too. 

The Villain of the movie had a motive that went a way I wasn't expecting it to go and actually hit hard and made the character more sympathetic also has a lot of the big horror type elements for the film. 

The Film at first feels like its gonna go one way, but instead goes a way different way I wasn't expecting. 

The humor is probably the best out of the franchise. 

The beautiful animation like its so good it looks almost real, Pixar just keeps improving every year. 

The message of the movie I felt was surprisingly deeper and a continuation from 3 and kinda open a whole new idea for the world of Toy Story which I thought was cool.  

By the end of the movie I was in tears which no spoilers I wonder what they could do if they did a 5th film.

Hilarious Mid credit scene. 

The Bad 
Nothing I absolutely loved this from start to finish. 

Final Thoughts: Pixar's perfect franchise ended perfectly with 3 and a 4th movie was a gamble that ultimately paid off big time that was made this perfect trilogy into a Quadrilogy.

Overall Grade: A+

FB_IMG_1553119297891.thumb.jpg.2166119dea4a42da6a50ea6beff68a1f.jpg

Child's Play (2019) - Review 

The Good
Aubrey Plaza and Brian Tyree Henry are great in the movie, mainly Brian Tyree Henry who is the most likable character in the movie. 

The kills are least unique at least and Gorey . 

Gabriel Bateman as Andy is at least likeable somewhat when be isn't screaming.

Beatrice Kitsos as Falyn is pretty badass 

The Creepy Buddi Song

Brendan Uegama sharp cinematography 

Bear McCreary surprisingly good score.  

The Bad
The design of Chucky is horrendous every time he moves his mouth and does dumb faces is awful with terrible unconvincing CGI its like hey let's change something that has been working for 30 years and actually is scary looking this is just laughable and takes all the creepyness away.

Mark Hamill doesn't get much to do as Chucky cause his chucky is an evil A.I. robot with no personality unlike Brad Dourif as Chucky and he only kills because he's jealous its stupid.  

Lars Klevberg's meh direction as well as relying on jump scares all in the first act of the film. 

The humor does not work at all

The Boyfriend Side Plot which is annoying.

AWFUL Visual Effects.

The obviously lazy sequel bait ending and it does not seem interesting at all it just copies other evil robot movies. 

Final Thoughts: While not insanely horrible its still not really all that great and really was not even needed to be made since we we still have Brad Douriff's Chucky still going strong.

childs_play_ver2.thumb.jpg.4cbe62264a9d1035a69b6613c9a1d5e0.jpg

I finally the Lego Batman movie from beginning to end and I have to say it is a solid movie.  I thought it was a cute, unique and interesting take on Batman. 

Do I think it is the best Batman movie?  Hell no.  IMO, that belongs to Batman (1989).   That is like my favorite Batman movie of all time.   Do I think the Lego Batman movie is a good film?  Absolutely.  It is definitely one of the better Batman movies that I have seen in recent years.

Grade: B

Annabelle Comes Home (2019) - Review

The Good
Mckenna Grace is fantastic in this

Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga as The Warrens are fantastic as usual with the limited screen time their given sadly. 

Its shot very well.

The Bad
Gary Dauberman's shitty direction as he was the writer for the shit fest The Nun who makes every scene predictable its not scary at all and his shitty writing. 

There's really no plot its just a random horror house movie cash grab. 

Jump Scare Galore Jesus christ and their constant too like scene after scene is a jump scare waiting to happen and you know its gonna happen because its so obvious there no tension. 

Stupid horror tropes with dumb characters not knowing how to read or the blonde always tripping. 

The awkward humor is horrible. 

Katie Sarife's character is a moron.

Awful visual effects.

Whole 3rd act is just bunch of the girls screaming very loudly. 

It basically just a set up for more shitty spin off horror movies with a random ghost or monster with random scenes. 

It contradicts the Conjuring so much since in this it shows them bringing Annabelle home but they did that in the first film which makes no sense. 

Its basically a PG-13 movie there's no reason for it to be Rated R. 

Final Thoughts: ACH is just a cheap cash grab in the Conjuring Universe which this make 3 shit movies in a row for this Universe.

Overall Grade: D-

annabelle_comes_home_ver2.thumb.jpg.ef1f208d246ebc3c6ba4e71218a6fb14.jpg

Spider-Man: Far From Home - Review (2019)

The Good
Tom Holland as Peter Parker / Spider-Man is still fantastic as the Wall Crawler and gets more character development in the film trying to get with MJ and just relax while also mourning of Tony Stark and the pressure of everyone saying he's the next Iron Man. 

Jake Gyllenhaal as Quentin Beck / Mysterio I wont say much if you don't know the character since the trailers actually don't spoil the movie (goodjob for once Sony) , but if if you do know the character then you will already know what happens, but either way Jake does an amazing job as Mysterio making Spider-Man villain in a row to be great. 

Jon Watts returns as the director from Homecoming and brings the character moments and makes the action much better and deeper than the first movie. 

Zendaya as MJ is really great and gets more to do in the film which is a plus and her and Holland have amazing chemistry together when they just riff off each other. 

Jacob Batalon is great as Ned who gets a lot of surprising funny moments.

Jon Favreau as Happy Hogan also gets more to do in the film and tries to get with Aunt May which is hilarious. 

Marisa Tomei as Aunt May is still great and I love how she found out Peter is Spider-Man in Homecoming. 

J. B. Smoove and Martin Starr are hilarious.

Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury and Cobie Smulders and Maria Hill are great. 

The class students are also great.

Michael Giacchino returns to score the movie and does a fantastic job once again. 

The humor works as always for Marvel. 

The action is fantastic especially one amazing sequence. 

Visual Effects are great. 

The Mid Credit scene is fucking amazing, the Post Credit scene is great and shocking, but no where as awesome as the mid credit cause it does make things interesting for a third Spider-Man movie. 

The Bad
I wasn't the biggest fan of what happens at the end you'll see what I mean when you see it just thought that could of went another way maybe i don't know.  

Final Thoughts: Far From Home is another win for the MCU and the first Spidey sequel since Spider-Man 2 (2004) to actually be great and is a great close for the Infinity Saga before Phase 4, and Tom Holland once again proving he's the best Peter Parker / Spider-Man. 

Overall Grade: A

FB_IMG_1558659591406.thumb.jpg.7982ee6e25ee9fd5a2eac42030562744.jpg

• Upvote 1

Spider-Man: Far From Home - Movie Review

The Positives:

• The story.  The story IMO was absolutely awesome.  I thought it was very interesting and unique compared to other Spider-Man movies.
  • The CGI, visuals, special effects, and costume design were phenomenal.
  • The action/fight scenes were spectacular.  I thought they were step up from Homecoming.
  • The acting was tremendous.  Zendaya was great as Michelle "MJ" Jones.  Marisa Tomei was excellent once again as Aunt May.  John Favreau was fantastic as Happy Hogan.  Jacob Batalon was fantastic once again as Ned Leeds.  And of course like always, Samuel L. Jackson was sensational as Nick Fury.  However, the stars of the film for me were Jake Gyllenhaal as Quentin Beck/Mysterio and Tom Holland as Peter Parker/Spider-Man.  First let me start with Jake Gyllenhaal as Mysterio.  He was absolutely phenomenal as the character.  He really truly was.  For those who are fans of Mysterio, I promise you will not be disappointed by his portrayal whatsoever guaranteed.  As for Mr. Tom Holland, not only was he amazing as Spider-Man once again, but I will go to say that he delivered arguably his best performance as Spider-Man to date.  I said this once and I'll say it again, Tom Holland is the best Spider-Man since Tobey Maguire.
  • The comedy was hilarious.
  • While the post credit scene was awesome and funny, the mid credit scene was off the chain.  All I will say is, for all my fellow Spider-Man fans, especially those from my generation, once you watch this scene, your mind will literally be blown away.

Negatives/Nitpicks:

• None.  I thoroughly enjoyed this movie from beginning to end.

Overall: This film is a huge step up and improvement from Homecoming.   Jon Watts did a hell of a job directing this film.

Grade: A+

On 7/6/2019 at 8:15 PM, MDCFAN101 said:

Negatives/Nitpicks:

• None.  I thoroughly enjoyed this movie from beginning to end.

Grade: A+

Only nitpick I had was Peter Parker being 100% selfish and whiny about not being able to take a field trip or go on a date with Zendaya before saving the world. He pretty much put all his friends in danger over his selfishness several times over the course of the movie. What did he think was gonna happen when he ignored and said no to "Nick Fury"?

Other than that it was good. The best villian before Thanos & Ultron in the Marvel/Spiderman series.

Edited by DownTheLever

30 minutes ago, DownTheLever said:

Only nitpick I had was Peter Parker being 100% selfish and whiny about not being able to take a field trip or go on a date with Zendaya before saving the world

cant blame him for wanting some leg from the goddess.

The Lion King - Review (2019)

The Good
The mostly fantastic voice cast from JD McCrary and Donald Glover as Simba, Seth Rogen as Pumba, Billy Eichner as Timon, John Oliver as Zazu, Shahadi Wright Joseph and Beyoncé Knowles-Carter as Nala, Florence Kasumba, Keegan-Michael Key, and Eric Andre voice Shenzi, Kamari, and Azizi, Alfre Woodard as Sarabi

Jon Favreau's direction even though he copies the animation basically he played it safe not to people off which if it was anyone else they probably would made it worse. 

Timon and Pumba are the best parts again. 

The Amazing Visual Effects.  

Hans Zimmer returning to do the score which is basically the same but I mean he won a Oscar for it so I'm not complaining. 

Its nice hearing the classic music even though its no where near as amazing as the animation and they just walk around while singing and its weird. 

The Bad
Basically if you the animation then your not really missing anything new its basically a Shot by Shot remake which was fine for Beauty and the Beast even though that changed a few things.

They added some new stuff but got rid of some old stuff..

Mostly the voice cast feels like their just reading the script sadly James Earl Jones returning as Mufasa feels like that and when his death happens I didn't really feel anything out of it like I do when I watch the animation. 

Chiwetel Ejiofor as Scar while looks menacing he feels like its more of the role for Jeremy Irons who previously played him. 

John Kani as Rafiki is just there. 

Even though the visual effects are amazing there's just no emotion to the characters so when they sing it just watching animals look stiff. 

They half assed Be Prepared since it wasn't even supposed to be in the film. 

Can You Feel the Love Tonight is in the afternoon.....

Final Thoughts: This version is fine its obviously no where near as amazing or memorable than the animation cause its a fine first watch, but I have no reason to watch it again when I can just watch the animation. 

Overall Grade: C

lion_king_ver2.thumb.jpg.5d05b28d332ce4a137bf0f4d051906ed.jpg

Edited by sateler96