The King of Hate Forums
MasterOfAwesomeness

Movie Review Thread 4.0: The Unnecessary Reboot

Ugly Dolls - Mini Review (2019)

The Good
The Voice Cast from Kelly Clarkson, Nick Jonas, Janelle Monáe, Blake Shelton, Pitbull, Wanda Sykes, Wang Leehom, Gabriel Iglesias, Bebe Rexha, Charli XCX, and Lizzo, I thought all did a decent job.

The music is actually good

The message of the movie is actually sweet and good for kids and doesn't make kids dumber.

The Bad
The plot is pretty generic and predictable

The animation is meh

Final Thoughts: Ugly Dolls isn't great, but it isn't horrible like The Emoji Movie, it's actually good for kids to watch and won't make them stupid like The Emoji Movie.

Overall Grade: C+

ugly_dolls_ver9.thumb.jpg.621c373f11651afd9e58e9ed51d9e1b9.jpg

Crawl - Short Review (2019)

The Good
Alexandre Aja's direction who's last aquatic killing animal movie was the fun Piranha 3D, but this movie is alot funnier and intense. 

Kaya Scodelario's performance who I thought were the weakest parts in the Maze Runner series shows in this film she is fantastic 

Barry Pepper is also really great in this film

The scares are actually really good

For a budget of $13.5 Million the visual effects are really good. 

The Bad 
Even though the performances are great you really dont care for the people 

I would of liked to see more kills

Final Thoughts: Crawl is a fun creature feature and a perfect time to watch during the summer.

Overall Grade: B

FB_IMG_1565253276655.thumb.jpg.3a279c7f4a4af49a0129125ef992a7e7.jpg

Dora and the Lost City of Gold - Review (2019)

The Good
Isabela Moner is great as Dora

James Bobin's fun Direction makes up from his awful direction of Alice Through the Looking Glass

Nicholas Stoller and Matthew Robinson's Screenplay was pretty good with making fun of its self not taking itself too seriously. 

Michael Pena has Dora's dad steals the movie. 

There one funny sequence that was a call back to the animation. 

Some funny surprises 

It has a good message of being yourself. 

The Bad
Its pretty predictable 

Eugenio Derbez was obviously the villain even though I already knew that in casting even though he was still good in the movie. 

Its wierd to see Swiper talking but Boots doesn't like it really makes no sense cause the movie tells you why there's no talking Backpack or Map or Boots talking. 

The visuals aren't the greatest. 

Wierd dance number during the credits. 

Final Thoughts: I'm actually shocked that this movie is not horrible it's actually pretty enjoyable. 

dora_and_the_lost_city_of_gold_ver3.thumb.jpg.ef2354b36c30fcfe12147f9ce4f3ee1f.jpg

Stuber - Review (2019)

The Good
Kumail Nanjiani and Dave Bautista Chemistry is what makes this movie watchable cause they work so well with each other. 

Michael Dowse decent direction.

Some jokes were funny. 

The Bad
Mira Sorvino, Iko Uwais, Jimmy Tatro, Natalie Morales, Betty Gilpin, and Karen Gillan, are all wasted being either underserved by the narrative or just underdeveloped as characters.

The movie doesn't really take full advantage of its premise as it's very tame on its R Rating. 

The somewhat reveal was predictable.

The action is not great. 

Final Thoughts: While Kumail Nanjiani and Dave Bautista have great chemistry that cant make up a forgettable movie. 

Overall Grade: D
Poster.thumb.jpeg.4db296b15cd4c1ebec9ba4aee3d24533.jpeg

Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark - Review (2019)

The Good
André Øvredal's Direction even though The Autopsy of Jane Doe is a way better film. 

The first 4 stories were the beat in the movie. 

The Pratical effects especially on Harold the Scarecrow who is faithful to the book all the designs are faithful. 

The Horror really delivers until the 3rd act especially some of the gross horror

One characters backstory was good. 

Good enough tension 

Roman Osin's Cinematography 

The Bad
The 3rd Act kinda falls apart becoming a CGI action fest with the CGI not being that great on the Jangly Man who just looks silly. 

I didn't really care all that much about the characters. 

The writing isn't great

I think there was one jump scare and it totally didn't work. 

It sort of set up a unneeded sequel??

Final Thoughts: A Decent enough horror film with some really creep scenes and mostly delivers on the horror until the 3rd act. 

scary_stories_to_tell_in_the_dark.thumb.jpg.cf3bfa356d07e079c082cfc9ff04c8b8.jpg

The Kitchen - Review (2019)

The Good
Melissa McCarthy, Tiffany Haddish, and Elizabeth Moss try their best for what they are given, but........

The Bad 
Everything is like really really bad, it's like if Goodfellas was just talking and showed nothing of what they were actually doing.

There's no character development or actual plot. 

Andrea Berloff's first time direction is not great.

There's a montage of what their actually doing. 

This movie doesn't know what it wants to be.

Final Thoughts: This movie is very disappointing awful that had alot of potential and ruined it but who cares it bombed anyway so no one cared.

Overall Grade: F-

kitchen.thumb.jpg.48cb48bc3097122304853c6bb611349d.jpg

Edited by sateler96

The Peanut Butter Falcon - Review (2019)

The Good
Shia LaBeouf, Zack Gottsagen, and Dakota Johnson performances and Shia and Zack's chemistry are what carry this movie, their back and forth is just very fluid as some scenes show Shia with his older brother played by Jon Bernthal and randomly becomes a sorta older brother figure for Zak. 

Tyler Nilson and Michael Schwartz's Direction and really feel good and funny screenplay. 

Bruce Dern, John Hawkes, Thomas Haden Church, Mick Foley, Jake Roberts, Yelawolf, John Hawkes are all great. 

Nigel Bluck's Cinematography 

The Bad
Nothing really. 

Final Thoughts: This movie is probably the sweetest I've seen in a very long time I just loved every second of it carried by 3 fantastic performances. 

Overall Grade: A+

peanut_butter_falcon_ver2.thumb.jpg.35e032dc6638dde1aa9af2d45a6e837f.jpg

Edited by sateler96

Invader Zim: Enter The Florpus - Review (2019)

The Good
The amazing voice acting all around. 

Jhonen Vasquez's Screenplay retains the insanity and humor of Invader Zim, which the humor in this was hilarious and it focuses on the story first and nostalgia second. 

Beautiful Animation

Character logic is so dumb and it's great.

It feels like a movie rather just another episode in the series. 

The Bad
The Florpus is just there doesn't really do anything major except for like one funny thing at the end. 

I wish it was a bit few minutes longer. 

Final Thoughts: After years after Invader Zim got stupidly cancelled by Nick, Netflix came and saved the day, let's hope we can get a new series of Invader Zim on Netflix after this. 

Overall Grade: A-

FB_IMG_1566163460895.thumb.jpg.493a8e4e34ab5855f9f9c0aea7367380.jpg

Good Boys - Review (2019)

The Good
Jacob Tremblay, Brady Noon, and Keith L. Williams are all great together. 

Will Forte, Lil Rel Howery, and Retta are great as the parents 

Sam Richardson is great as the cop in the store. 

Stephen Merchant was great yet creepy

Alot of the jokes hit mainly the Freeway Scene. 

There is a good thoughtful yet sad but true message about growing up and not always hanging out with your friends. 

The Bad
Gene Stupnitsky meh direction even though it was his first time it shows, it would of been better directed by Seth Rogen. 

Some of the jokes missed

One of the boys talks about getting a girls consent which doesn't really make sense for a 6th grader to say? I dont know it was wierd in the movie.

Some of the kids were annoying. 

Final Thoughts: Really good fun original comedy. 

Overall Grade: B+

FB_IMG_1566191390900.thumb.jpg.f89eb3d377cc2f75ecdcd5a26ad45d11.jpg

Parasite - Review (2019)

The Good
Bong Joon-ho's direction is fantastic.

The performances from the entire cast is great.

Hong Kyung-pyo's beautiful cinematography 

The 1st half is showing the main family just trick this rich family and getting jobs around by sabotaging other people who work for the rich family and the 2nd half of the movie shit literally hits the fan. 

The ending. 

The Bad 
The praising of the evil dictator Kim Jong-un, I know it's a Korean film, but still. 

Final Thoughts: This is the 4th film that Joon-ho has made I didn't like The Host, but I loved both Snowpiercer and Okja, but I think this may be my favorite of his. 

Overall Grade: A

FB_IMG_1566275885327.thumb.jpg.0981403ca2cc5bd7893681aaad5d3e03.jpg