The King of Hate Forums
MasterOfAwesomeness

Movie Review Thread 4.0: The Unnecessary Reboot

The Farewell - Review (2019)

The Good
Awkwafina is phenomenal easily her best performance of her career and shows that she has acting range. 

Zhao Shuzhen is also great as Billi's grandmother 

The whole family I thought was great

Lulu Wang's fantastic direction and writing. 

I didnt know the Chinese culture did this stuff when a family member is sick so that was a interesting and depressing learn.

It's well shot

I dont wanna give alot away cause I didint watch trailers for this. 

The Bad
Probably 5 to 10 minutes to long? I dont know I'm nitpicking now. 

Final Thoughts: I found The Farewell pretty great with an amazing performance from Awkwafina 

Overall Grade: A

MV5BMWE3MjViNWUtY2VjYS00ZDBjLTllMzYtN2FkY2QwYmRiMDhjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODQzNTE3ODc@._V1_.jpg

Doctor Sleep - Review (2019)

The Good
Ewan McGregor as Adult Dan "Danny" Torrance is fantastic

His chemistry with young co-star Kyliegh Curran, who plays the shining-bearing Abra, is terrific and drives most of the movie, 

Mike Flanagan's Direction is once again amazing just proving to be one of today's best horror directors. His editing is also great too. 

Rebecca Ferguson is great as Rose the Hat makes for an intensely unsettling villain, desperate to consume the shine of children, and because prolonged torture makes the shine more potent for her and her cronies to subsist on, she doesn't hurry putting her victims out of their misery.

Cliff Curtis is fantastic as Danny's pal Billy, Jacob Tremblay gets a brief but memorable role as one of the children preyed upon by Rose, and Twin Peaks/Addams Family legend Carel Struycken - who previously appeared in Flanagan's Gerald's Game - gets a neat role as one of Rose's aged follower.

It's perfectly paced unlike It: Chapter Two that was way too long this needed to be 2 and a half hours to slowly build its first 2 acts for a insane 3rd act. 

Not Scary my Ass, this film is truly unsettling at times, I mean it's not The Shining as that film is truly terrifying, but that doesnt mean Flannigan doesnt do a masterful job in putting in the horror. 

The Fan Service is used well for the 3rd act and it's awesome. 

The faithfulness to both the book and Kubrick's fantastic movie

Michael Fimognari beautiful Cinematography 

The Sound Design is excellent. 

The Newton Brothers amazing score

The Bad
It gets a bit to actionny in the 3rd act for a bit. 

Final Thoughts: While obviously no where near the level of perfect like The Shining, Mike Flanagan delivers a worthy sequel to one of the best horror films of all time and the Best Stephen King movie of all time. 

p15586677_p_v8_az.thumb.jpg.3f2055d5662dc619cfd4da5927f6e6e6.jpg

Edited by sateler96

2 hours ago, sateler96 said:

The Lighthouse - Review (2019)

lighthouse_ver2.thumb.jpg.e8b65a7695baee8f3d357e397149a7de.jpg

If I'm correct, I think the film was shot in a 1.19:1 aspect ratio, which makes it even better for that horror vibe, apart from the black & white.

5 hours ago, MoraMoria said:

If I'm correct, I think the film was shot in a 1.19:1 aspect ratio, which makes it even better for that horror vibe, apart from the black & white.

Yup

Rambo: Last Blood - Review (2019)

The Good
Sylvester Stallone of course is great as John Rambo again 

Rambo's trauma returns that was tooken away on the sequels to make him a Unstoppable killing machine even though he is still a badass. 

The Bad
Adrian Grunberg meh direction.

Awful CGI opening scene

Yvette Monreal as Rambo's niece is a horrible dumbass character. 

Like all the sequels that followed First Blood the Violence is gore is too much that resembles a horror movie and it's way too over the top not even in a fun way.

The plot is basically Taken just more violent and no where as good where his niece is tooken for sex slave trade. 

The villains are awful generic stereotypes and Mexico is just disgusting place to look at it. 

The writing is horrible.

Final Thought: After seeing this movie I can say this is the worst Rambo movie yet and Stallone couldnt save this movie. It just continues the terrible sequels trend and shows what is wrong with most action movies today. 
Please let this be the last Rambo movie. 

Overall Grade: F+

FB_IMG_1573061739762.thumb.jpg.6a2996ff78756f558fdd87e3d428eee6.jpg

Edited by sateler96

The Fanatic - Review (2019)

The Good 
Nothing

The Bad 
Oh boy where do I start i guess with Fred Durst's HORRIBLE Direction and his writing. 

John Travolta's very over the top performance that is just laughable. 

Theres a voice over from his friend who is barely in the movie. 

Theres no character to really like, you cant like Moose (Travolta) cause hes just doing all the stalker criminal acts and you can like Hunter (Devon Sawa) is just a fucking asshole. 

Does Fred Durst not know how Social Media works........cause I don't think he does. 

Theres random art drawings for each act and their just there.... I have no idea why.....

The Ending...... my God is something else and also makes no sense and it's just violent for no reason and it just ends......

The Opening Credits repeat at the end credits as well........ film making 101.....

Final Thoughts: This was definitely something else and I have no idea what's worse this or The Haunting of Sharon Tate. 

Overall Grade: Fuck You

FB_IMG_1573077059393.thumb.jpg.dfd1d1f8392c37afb0b0320963aa9768.jpg

Gemini Man - Review (2019)

The Good
Will Smith is great it's really hard for him to really be terrible (only a few times, but still), but he gets to play both his older self and younger clone and I thought he did a good job.

Mary Elizabeth Winstead and Benedict Wong are also pretty great. 

The Visual Effects mainly Will Smith using deaging for his younger character.

Lorne Balfe's score is decent 

The Bad
The Plot is pretty boring and generic. 

Ang Lee is usually hit or miss cause when he hits we get Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Brokeback Mountain, and Life of Pi, but when he misses we get Hulk, now this no where nearly as horrible as Hulk, but it just feels very generic.

Clive Owen feels like generic bad guy. 

Dion Beebe's Cinematography is pretty meh.

The action scenes especially Will Smith vs. Will Smith is terribly bad. 

The ending is pretty anticlimactic 

Final Thoughts: Gemini Man is pretty Meh, its forgettable at best. 

Overall Grade: C-

FB_IMG_1573077117566.thumb.jpg.cc38d0712b6df5314b46cb0639f0fce4.jpg

Midway - Review (2019)

The Good
I guess some of the action is fine?

At least there no love triangle.... cough Michael Bay.

The Bad
Quickly brushes over Pearl Harbor one again Pearl Harbor being in a another terrible War Movie.

Roland Emmerich's obviously shitty direction.

Wes Tooke's terrible screenplay.

It has a huge ensemble cast but I say their all wasted, theres not one character you give a shit about, Ed Skrein plays
Lieutenant Richard "Dick" Best very generically and everyone else is Meh from
Patrick Wilson as Lieutenant Commander Edwin T. Layton

Luke Evans as Lieutenant Commander Wade McClusky

Aaron Eckhart as Lieutenant Colonel Jimmy Doolittle

Nick Jonas as Aviation Machinist Mate Bruno Gaido

Mandy Moore as Anne Best

Woody Harrelson as Admiral Chester Nimitz

Dennis Quaid as Vice Admiral William "Bull" Halsey

Darren Criss as Lieutenant Commander Eugene Lindsey

Jake Weber as Rear Admiral Raymond Spruance

Brennan Brown as Commander Joseph Rochefort

Alexander Ludwig as Lieutenant Roy Pearce

Tadanobu Asano as Rear Admiral Tamon Yamaguchi

Keean Johnson as Chief Aviation Radioman James Murray

Luke Kleintank as Lieutenant Clarence Earle Dickinson

Jun Kunimura as Vice Admiral Chūichi Nagumo

Etsushi Toyokawa as Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Brandon Sklenar as Ensign George Gay

James Carpinello as Lieutenant Commander William Brockman

Jake Manley as Ensign Willie West

The glossy modern day looking Visual effects which look terrible and this is a $100 million budget movie.

It just goes from scene to scene like it's in a hurry.

Final Thoughts: I would probably give a shit about this movie if a better director took over it like Spielberg or Nolan or David Ayer, but Rolan Emerich was not the choice lol this is probably the 2nd worst war film I've seen.

Overall Grade: F
midway_ver15.thumb.jpg.bfd32861233c00c578e11a4740798148.jpg

Playing with Fire - Short Review (2019) 

The Good
Kids will love this

The Bad 
But I am no child so this will movie is ass enough said 

Final Thoughts: Just wait for this to come on DVD or something dont waste money to see this shit go support Doctor Sleep. 

Overall Grade: F-

playing_with_fire.thumb.jpg.67ff810f0462bcd68522a3b5af2a39b4.jpg

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, sateler96 said:

The Good
Kids will love this

The Bad 
But I am no child so this will movie is ass enough said 

Final Thoughts: Just wait for this to come on DVD or something dont waste money to see this shit go support Doctor Sleep. 

playing_with_fire.thumb.jpg.67ff810f0462bcd68522a3b5af2a39b4.jpg

You know this movie is stupid once you see the trailers.

16 hours ago, sateler96 said:

1 hour ago, MDCFAN101 said:

You know this movie is stupid once you see the trailers.

Isn't it like a family movie with predictable slapstick comedy as the main attraction? I wouldn't watch this at the movies or on DVD.

8 hours ago, MoraMoria said:

Isn't it like a family movie with predictable slapstick comedy as the main attraction? I wouldn't watch this at the movies or on DVD.

That's why I have links I'm not stupid to pay for this XD 

On 8/9/2019 at 12:09 AM, sateler96 said:

Dora and the Lost City of Gold - Review (2019)

The Good
Isabela Moner is great as Dora

James Bobin's fun Direction makes up from his awful direction of Alice Through the Looking Glass

Nicholas Stoller and Matthew Robinson's Screenplay was pretty good with making fun of its self not taking itself too seriously. 

Michael Pena has Dora's dad steals the movie. 

There one funny sequence that was a call back to the animation. 

Some funny surprises 

It has a good message of being yourself. 

The Bad
Its pretty predictable 

Eugenio Derbez was obviously the villain even though I already knew that in casting even though he was still good in the movie. 

Its wierd to see Swiper talking but Boots doesn't like it really makes no sense cause the movie tells you why there's no talking Backpack or Map or Boots talking. 

The visuals aren't the greatest. 

Wierd dance number during the credits. 

Final Thoughts: I'm actually shocked that this movie is not horrible it's actually pretty enjoyable. 

Overall Grade: B 

dora_and_the_lost_city_of_gold_ver3.thumb.jpg.ef2354b36c30fcfe12147f9ce4f3ee1f.jpg

i give it the same score, and also Dora's hot lol

Ford v Ferrari - Review (2019)

The Good
Matt Damon and Christian Bale's Terrific performances.

Christian Bale who plays Brit race car driver Ken Miles who just plays a very likeable real character. 

Matt Damon's American engineer Carroll Shelby is the perfect counterpoint.

James Mangold's Thrilling Direction who knocks the loaded dialogues out of the park, of course, but really comes into his own when helming the white-knuckle, gorgeously smooth racing set-pieces, of which there are many.

Amazing ensemble cast from Tracy Letts, who as Ford CEO Henry Ford II, Jon Bernthal is also very good as Ford VP Lee Iacocca, Noah Jupe is a delight as Miles' son, and shares several of the movie's most poignant scenes opposite Bale, while Caitriona Balfe is typically solid as Miles' frustrated wife Mollie, and Remo Girone, who does a wonderful job playing an old Enzo Ferrari. 

Incredible sound design 

The tone is perfect. 

The Bad
It can be a little long with some scenes dragging, but that's about it. 

Final Thoughts: If you are a racing fan you are gonna love this movie, even if your arent your still gonna love it, Ford v. Ferrari is a incredible fun film from James Mansgold with 2 amazing performances from both Bale and Damon.

REVIEW-Ford-v-Ferrari-8.thumb.jpg.5d8994feb4bfbf6cccddd9cd55c765cd.jpg

• Like 1

18 hours ago, sateler96 said:

Ford v Ferrari - Review (2019)

The Good
Matt Damon and Christian Bale's Terrific performances.

Christian Bale who plays Brit race car driver Ken Miles who just plays a very likeable real character. 

Matt Damon's American engineer Carroll Shelby is the perfect counterpoint.

James Mangold's Thrilling Direction who knocks the loaded dialogues out of the park, of course, but really comes into his own when helming the white-knuckle, gorgeously smooth racing set-pieces, of which there are many.

Amazing ensemble cast from Tracy Letts, who as Ford CEO Henry Ford II, Jon Bernthal is also very good as Ford VP Lee Iacocca, Noah Jupe is a delight as Miles' son, and shares several of the movie's most poignant scenes opposite Bale, while Caitriona Balfe is typically solid as Miles' frustrated wife Mollie, and Remo Girone, who does a wonderful job playing an old Enzo Ferrari. 

Incredible sound design 

The tone is perfect. 

The Bad
It can be a little long with some scenes dragging, but that's about it. 

Final Thoughts: If you are a racing fan you are gonna love this movie, even if your arent your still gonna love it, Ford v. Ferrari is a incredible fun film from James Mansgold with 2 amazing performances from both Bale and Damon.

REVIEW-Ford-v-Ferrari-8.thumb.jpg.5d8994feb4bfbf6cccddd9cd55c765cd.jpg

Now this looks like a good film to check out.

Charlie's Angels - Review (2019)

The Good
Kristen Stewart, Naomi Scott, Ella Balinska are all good in the movie and their chemistry together works to make this at least watchable.

And that's about it.

The Bad
Elizabeth Bank's Mediocre direction, she is not good at directing action and her terrible screenplay

The action sequences are HORRENDOUS. .

Patrick Stewert is wasted as Bosley who we get replaced with Elizabeth Banks who isnt really that interesting

Djimon Hounsou as another Bosley? Is wasted as well

Meh cameos

The editing with the awful action does not help..... thank God John Wick 3 came out this year.

Final Thoughts: If directed by a director who can helm action this would of probably been good, but it's not and Elizabeth Banks should stop directing and stop putting excuses on people for not wanting to see a Meh film.

Overall Grade: D-charlies_angels_ver5.thumb.jpg.f9cce07909117780d2a98c83066bec92.jpg

Brittany Runs a Marathon - Review (2019)

The Good
Jillian Bell gives her best performance of her career so far and actually loses her weight while making the film.

Paul Downs Colaizzo's great directorial debut and also wrote the script who tells the inspired true story of his roommate Brittany O'Neill.

The great supporting cast Michaela Watkins, Utkarsh Ambudkar, Lil Rel Howery

The ending is great.

The Bad
It can get formulaic at times

Alice Lee as her friend was annoying.

Final Thoughts: A Great probably underrated Gem of this year.

Overall Grade: A-

FB_IMG_1574311239021.thumb.jpg.e452d13ad2ad4f0abb617097ecb914da.jpg

Frozen II - Review (2019)

The Good
Fantastic Vocal cast, mainly Idina Menzel as Elsa, Kristen Bell as Anna, Jonathan Groff as Kristoff, and Josh Gad as Olaf.

Chris Buck and Jennifer Lee's fantastic direction.

Jennifer Lee's much deeper and darker and mature story for the sequel which I loved.

Beautiful upgraded Animation from the first which is breathtaking.

Though not as catchy as the first films songs, the 2nd movies song a very good especially Elsa's two amazing songs, Anna's big song and Kristoff's rock ballad

Olaf Recaps the first movie through his point of view and it's hilarious.

Alfred Molina and Evan Rachel Wood who play Anna and Elsa's parents get alot of backstory which was cool.

Supporting Cast were great from Sterling K. Brown, Martha Plimpton, Jason Ritter.

It does take risk with character choices some heartwrenching moments (even though they dont last too long)

introducing the impossibly adorable salamander Bruno, 

The Bad
Kristoff doesnt really do anything but trying to ask Anna to marry him the whole movie, even though he gets a awesome weird rock ballad song.

Does try a bit too much to recapture the magic of the first movie.

Final Thoughts: While not as perfect as the original, Frozen II does deliver on a darker story and developing the characters more.

0wsy87zrpqp31.thumb.jpg.6c2bf736cd74fcc82e1df8aa42f246ec.jpg

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 7:21 PM, sateler96 said:

Charlie's Angels - Review (2019)

The Good
Kristen Stewart, Naomi Scott, Ella Balinska are all good in the movie and their chemistry together works to make this at least watchable.

And that's about it.

The Bad
Elizabeth Bank's Mediocre direction, she is not good at directing action and her terrible screenplay

The action sequences are HORRENDOUS. .

Patrick Stewert is wasted as Bosley who we get replaced with Elizabeth Banks who isnt really that interesting

Djimon Hounsou as another Bosley? Is wasted as well

Meh cameos

The editing with the awful action does not help..... thank God John Wick 3 came out this year.

Final Thoughts: If directed by a director who can helm action this would of probably been good, but it's not and Elizabeth Banks should stop directing and stop putting excuses on people for not wanting to see a Meh film.

Overall Grade: D-charlies_angels_ver5.thumb.jpg.f9cce07909117780d2a98c83066bec92.jpg

My friend Cheyenne loved this movie.

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood - Review (2019)

The Good
Tom Hanks is perfectly casted as Mr. Roger's and is fantastic easily the best part of the film and most deserving of a Supporting Actor Nomination.

Matthew Rhys is also fantastic as Lloyd Vogel (based loosely on journalist Tom Junod) who is a asshole basically but his character develops through the film.

Marielle Heller who directed Can You Ever Forgive Me last year returns to direct this movie and she does a fantastic the way she blends the actual story into the show with beautiful art direction.

Micah Fitzerman-Blue and Noah Harpster fantastic screenplay that sometimes pokes fun at itself and is very witty.

Great supporting cast like Susan Kelechi Watson and Chris Cooper.

Jody Lee Lipes's amazing Cinematography everytime it shows the city it's like the show and it looks cool.

It has incredibly heartwarming message.

Its paced incredibly well.

The Bad
I would love to have more scenes with Tom Hanks as Roger's I guess?

Final Thoughts: A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood is a perfect companion piece with years best documentary Won't You Be My Neighbor.

Overall Grade: A+

f1ysdmk3iky31.thumb.jpg.0230bf92dfcd3b0c9114fccea658167f.jpg

• Like 1

The Good Liar - Review (2019)

The Good
Helen Mirren is phenomenal in this movie. 

Ian McKellen is also great

Bill Condon's direction

Jeffrey Hatcher's screenplay 

Carter Burwell's score

The backstory reveal was shocking

The Bad
Trailer and commercials somewhat ruined that she was playing him the whole time so that hurt the movie a bit. 

Ian just kills a guy in public and like gets away with it with no camera footage?

It does drag a bit. 

Final Thoughts: Wasnt really expecting much out of this movie but it quite surprised me.

Overall Grade: B

good_liar.thumb.jpg.145d10f521f78a6d4893421432eea1d7.jpg

Edited by sateler96

The Irishman - Review (2019)

The Good
Martin Scorsese's Masterful Direction which is just perfect.

Robert De Niro is probably gonna be the most underrated performance in this film.

Joe Pesci is also amazing and thank God Scorsese bullied him out of Retirement and his best material is in the very Haunting Third act.

Al Pacino gives his best performance in YEARS and this is the first time him and Scorsese have worked together it's just perfect.

Steven Zaillian's hilarious witty script.

What a ensemble cast from Harvey Keitel who is great in his few scenes as mobster Angelo Bruno, Stephen Graham is fantastic as Anthony Provenzano, and Ray Romano kills it as criminal lawyer Bill Bufalino, while the likes of Jesse Plemons, Bobby Cannavale, Anna Paquin and Domenick Lombardozzi (almost unrecognisable in prosthetics) all shine in their smaller parts.

WHAT A INCREDIBLE THIRD ACT.

It deserves to be over 3 hours it let's scenes breathe and it doesnt even drag.

Its definitely a different movie than Goodfellas

Theres so much rich historical context in the film.

Amazing editing

Rodrigo Prieto's beautiful Cinematography.

The Bad
Some of the Digital deaging is noticable, but it doesnt hurt the movie.

Final Thoughts: The Irishman delivered in its hype hell even exceeded the HYPE, this movie just shows once again Martin Scorsese is one of the best directors of all time.

irishman.thumb.jpg.07ef8b30e1019bd67a48250134e8e569.jpg

Edited by sateler96
  • Like 1

Knives Out - Review (2019)

The Good
Rian Johnson's excellent direction which is enough said lol

Daniel Craig & Ana De Armas steal the entire movie, Craig, whose rare forays into comedy - especially Logan Lucky - have largely struck rich, is magnificent as the southern-accented detective desperately trying to piece together the tattered fragments of the case. Armas gets most of the film's dramatic meat as Harlan Thrombey's carer and confidante Marta.

The on-the-rise actress has to work through a wide spectrum of emotions over the course of the movie and delivers what's surely her best performance to date in the process.

The amazing ensemble cast from Jamie Lee Curtis, Christopher Plummer, Chris Evans, Michael Shannon, Toni Colette, and Don Johnson in particular.

These characters all feel distinctly drawn and their interactions between one another, if often disappointingly brief, are uniformly excellent.

There are smaller appearances from a number of terrific actors: Johnson's lucky charm Noah Segan is hilarious as a Trooper investigating Harlan Thrombey's (Plummer) murder, while Yoda himself, Frank Oz, has a brief-but-memorable role as the lawyer at Harlan's will reading.

Lakeith Stanfield, Jaeden Martell, and Katherine Langford are also great.

the legendary M. Emmet Walsh even shows up for a single scene as the groundskeeper of Harlan's estate

The hilarious self aware tone with Daniel Craig's character who pick apart the formulaic elements of a typical murder mystery.

The very subtle and sly political commentary

It's a very compelling Whodunit.

It makes you keep guessing

Steve Yedlin's beautiful Cinematography, Bob Ducsay's sharp editing , and what a fantastic Production design.

Nathan Johnson's excellent musical score.

The Final Shot of the movie is amazing.

The Bad
Would of liked to have a few more scenes with the entire cast interacting with each other, just a bit pick it doesnt hurt the movie.

Final Thoughts: Rian Johnson gives us the best Whodunit movie in like forever and Keeps impressing as one of this generations best directors.

knives-out-final_poster_rgb.thumb.jpg.c9a6ece6581d3460bad45235cdb7b357.jpg

Edited by sateler96

Countdown - Review (2019)

The Good
Lol nothing 

The Bad
It's a poor RIP off of Final Destination

My God the actors in this movie are so unlikable and terrible 

Terrible directing and writing 

The death scenes are lame 

The Marvel Cinematic Universe cringe scene........

For some reason there is a sexual harrassment side story????????

It's way too convoluted at least Final Destination was simple. 

Final Thoughts: it's sad this movie did well now were probably gonna see a even worse sequel, horror movies like this need to die. 

countdown_ver2.thumb.jpg.b6bb84f8a353df5e772bb122738b37bd.jpg

On 9/2/2019 at 5:19 AM, sateler96 said:

Ready or Not - Review (2019)

The Good
Samara Weaving is amazing who ultimately is a badass in this. 

Adam Brody and Andie MacDowell are also great as the part of the family

The Dark Humor really works and the Thrills. 

The Production design is amazing 

Brett Jutkiewicz beautiful Cinematography.

The movie improves as it goes along and never feels boring. 

The Third Act and The Ending is where the movie lives up to the HYPE where it's a mix of blood and comedy

It doesn't tease a God damn sequel that's a nig plus cause it ends its story perfectly. 

The Bad
Some of the family could come off or look like cartoon characters they automatically look creepy enough that you should of already got the fuck out. 

The first half could of used more fun like the 2nd half did. 

Grace's character is predictable. 

Final Thoughts: Ready or Not delivers on what you wanted from the movie even though it could of been a bit better, but is carried by Samara Weaving. 

FB_IMG_1567415906980.thumb.jpg.1f7393c32142104967a239d69c559e4a.jpg

good movie, btw this would be her 2nd Ritual movie, the first being The Babysitter.

22 minutes ago, Darksphere92 said:

good movie, btw this would be her 2nd Ritual movie, the first being The Babysitter.

Yup which was surprisingly good

Their making a sequel with most of the same people I heard,...... but no Samara Weaving...

8 minutes ago, sateler96 said:

Yup which was surprisingly good

Their making a sequel with most of the same people I heard,...... but no Samara Weaving...

oh, why isnt she in it?