The King of Hate Forums
MasterOfAwesomeness

Movie Review Thread 4.0: The Unnecessary Reboot

7 hours ago, sateler96 said:

You know people he has the right to a  opinion right if he enjoyed the movie thats his opinion just like you have the right say its terrible. 

I havent seen it yet so i cant say anything 

After I posted my review, he goes, "Dude the movie sucked.  How could you give it an A?".  And I told him that I saw it and loved it.

Birds of Prey - Review (2020)

The Good
Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn is amazing as always and shows that shes a full fledged developed character.

Cathy Yan's Direction its very colorful and different than the other DCEU films.

The action in certain scenes is fantastic being film on reshoots by John Wick 3 crewand you can tell, but on the other action sequences are bad.

Its female empowerment without pushing it down your throat, yes they basically say fuck the Joker cause Harley dont need no man in this but tbh the actual comic relationship is toxic, but Leto is really a garbage Joker, and Black Mask in the movie is a narcissist.

The R Rating helps not limit it like Suicide Squad wasted it own self by being PG-13. (Of course it looks like being Rated R hurt it in the Box Office)

When the Birds of Prey finally team up at the end its great.

Jurnee Smollett-Bell as Dinah Lance / Black Canary gets some development as well as Rosie Perez as Renee Montoya.

Matthew Libatique's Cinematography

The Music at least matches the scenes theor used with unlike Suicide Squad.

Post Credit scene was pretty funny.

The Bad
The misleading title and even false marketing cause its not a Birds of Prey movie its just a Harely Quinn movie which if you look at as just a Harley Quinn movie then it works alot and alot of her scenes obviously work amazingly, but as a Birds of Prey it fails until the very end where it suceeds when the team is formed so with all that it very disappointing.

The Forgettable Plot from writer Christina Hodson (looks like Bumblebee was a fluke), its just a basic plot of something being stole by Black Mask from Cass Cain which is just MacGuffin 101 storytelling and they have Harley explain the certain things in the movie which its just lazy, and we dont even know truly why Black Mask wants to kill Harley, maybe cause hes just an asshole? I dont know cause the movie doesnt care to take the time to explain to us.

The 4th wall breaking seems forced and just a copy of Deadpool

Mary Elizabeth Winstead is great as Helena Bertinelli / Huntress...... in the 3rd act......shes not even properly introduced until halfway through the movie and her backstory just feels forced.

Chris Messina as Victor Zsasz is also under developed and wasted.

Ewan McGregor as Roman Sionis / Black Mask is fantastic and makes the character fun as hell which is a highlight...... but he really doesnt fully show up until the 3rd act of the film cause thats when he fully does shit and he only wheres the mask gor less than 5 minutes and to be honest when you see the movie you will feel the same cause i felt he was ultimately wasted and to be be honest brings a few points down.

Ella Jay Basco as Cassandra Cain is the reason why we have a movie cause she steals a diamond from Black Mask, but to be honest we seen that in movies before and its lazy, and i didnt give a shit about Cass Cain in this movie she was terrible and she does something in the end of the movie that makes me hate the movie version of this character cause no the CW DC TV Show Cass Cain played by Ruby Rose is 100% better.

The Hyena is wasted.

Somewhat not ignoring Suicide Squad like it should of, we need to ignore that trash of a movie.

Wierd editing choices in some parts.

Final Thoughts: I really do think people are overhyping the movie, but that being said its still enjoyable and fun while still frustrating on certain parts of the movie, people calling it the best DC Movie ever need to stop lol its not better than The Dark Knight or even Joker.

Overall Grade: C+

birds_of_prey_ver6.thumb.jpg.a2cac1754b80ea19364a32b3f5623018.jpg

Edited by sateler96
  • Upvote 1

The Rhythm Section - Review (2020)

The Good
Blake Lively is great

Jude Law is good and so is Sterling K. Brown

Some cool scenes

The Bad
This is a obvious January movie

Reed Morano's boring Directon 

Drawn out sequences

Joan Sobel annoying editing 

Sean Bobbitt not good Cinematography 

Wierd joyful songs in a depressing movie and it just randomly cuts out. 

ALOT of stupid character decisions and you dont give a shit about her and she causes innocent people tp die which is fucking stupid

And she TOUCHES EVERYTHING to leave fingerprints and blood. 

Final Thoughts: Skip it dont even waste your time its boring. 

Overall Grade: D+

rhythm_section.thumb.jpg.3aa0b26dc99ad6fdb149e501bd7531fd.jpg

• Upvote 1

Sonic the Hedgehog - Review (2020)

The Good
Ben Schwartz as Sonic the Hedgehog is perfect easily the best part of the movie and surprisingly gives Sonic depth that i dont remember him ever having.

Jeff Fowler's Decent 2nd Directorial film you can tell he i guess is a fan of the games (i would like to know why they did that first awful design at first though).

The Quicksilver like moments.

The Visuals effects are insanely good especially in the opening showing the classic world and showing other races in the world of Sonic (i wonder what they would of looked like in the OG version of that awful Sonic).

On the nose easter eggs and references.

Alot of the action chase scenes are pretty great.

If there is a sequel i dont wanna ever go back to earth stay in Sonic's world.

The before Credit scene

The Credits are awesome.

The Awesome post credit scene.

The Bad
Jim Carrey as Dr. Robotnik isnt bad surprisingly, sometimes hes actually entertaining like the old Jim Carrey, but at times it does feel dated and a bit much at times and sometimes even feels like hes in a entirety different movie especially his wiere dance scene.

James Marsden is basically the straightman of the movie which i didnt really care for his character.

The wierd out of place Bar scene.

The Plot is paint by numbers.

Generic Movie Government are morons.

Theres a bit too much "Fast" Jokes

They kept the scene from the first trailer that wasnt funny.

Fart Joke...

Final Thoughts: While no where perfect, its not horrible, but you can tell it could be better if we didnt have to go to earth, so hopefully we get a sequel where they go back to Sonic's world, buf it does feel this feel like the first Sonic game, and the sequel could be Sonic 2 with hopefully the Chaos Emeralds.

Overall Grade: B-

sonic_the_hedgehog_ver6.thumb.jpg.32228512d8a54b03ad1d617c614b70d3.jpg

• Upvote 1

Fantasy Island - Review (2020)

The Good
Maggie Q is the only person who tries

The Bad
Jeff Wadlow's HORRIBLE direction like always this man doesnt know how to make good movies as Kick-Ass 2 and Truth or Dare showed, but somehow this is even worse.

The writing is not even a first draft its like someone scribbled words on a piece paper and thats the movie.

The movie over explains everything to you like way too much.

Michael Peña as Mr. Roarke incredibly miscasted and he is AWFUL.

Lucy Hale is once again terrible like Truth or Dare, i just dont think shes a good actress and i refuse to watch Katie Keen.

Jimmy O. Yang and Ryan Hansen are HORRIBLY Unfunny all they do is fucking movie references and its annoying.

Austin Stowell is also just dumb in this movie.

Michael Rooker is wasted.

One child actor was awful.

Out of place Melodrama which meeses with the tone it doesnt know if it wants to be a Drama, a Comedy, or a Horror movie

Speaking of Horror guess what ITS NOT FUCKING SCARY who would of predicted that made by the same team as Truth or Dare you can guess every jump scare easily.

The biggest twist is so out of left field and dumb that it makes no sense and just makes the audience feel like idiots.

Fantasy Island looks ugly as shit.

Awful Editing and Camerawork

Awful visual effect and practical makeup

Final Thoughts: Fantasy Island should of stayed dead forever, but nope Sony had to bring it back and give us the worst version of it. Sadly the director is still getting work since hes doing Magic 8 Ball next....... some directors just dont deserve to work in Hollywood cause their just ass and hes one of them, don't go see this dont support shitty horror, go Support Sonic the Hedgehog.

Overall Grade: F

fantasy_island.thumb.jpg.6c2c0823891eff26890bd00f683dc6ee.jpg

The Photograph - Review (2020)

The Good
Lakeith Stanfield is always fantastic dude can do any genre.

Issa Rae is also really great.

Stella Meghie's direction.

Their chemistry in the movie is perfect.

Lil Rel Howery brings some of the movies humor and hes always great.

Courtney B. Vance is great.

Mark Schwartzbard gorgeous Cinematography.

The Bad
To be honest everytime they kept cutting back in time i didnt care as much and wanted the movie to go back to main romance.

And everytime it kept cutting back it was like out of no where which causes some pacing issues.

It may be a little too long.

The wierd music choices during sex scenes gave bad memories of 50 Shades of Shit.

Final Thoughts: Its been a while since a really good romantic drama, cause alot of them are usually terrible, but i had a feeling this wouldn't since it had Lakeith Stanfield

Overall Grade: B+

photograph.thumb.jpg.48c569b76dfd2027fc28a6a7136128da.jpg

1 hour ago, MoraMoria said:

Today, I'm feeling some Japanese movies coming my way...

Hmmm... maybe I'll watch something from Riki.

Riki.jpg

If you like Indonesian movies I can’t recommend The Raid and The Raid 2 enough

• Upvote 1

Brahms: The Boy II - Review (2020)

The Good
The performances from Katie Holmes, Christopher Convery and Ralph Ineson and i guess everyone were all pretty solid

But thats about it. 

The Bad
It retcons the first movie and what i mean is the first movie big reveal that the doll wasnt really moving it was the real Brahm all along living in the walls and messing with Laurie Cohan, in this one they already show the dolls eyes moving so the doll is possessed somehow basically ig oring antrhing from the first movie basically treating the very few people who might have liked the first movie like their shit and the first movie didnt matter which goes into my negative 

William Brent Bell who once again directs and and has the same writer somehow makes a less interesting movie. 

Jump scare galore every 10 minutes and ince again its predictable and not scary. 

The movie gives you way more questions thay make no sense, like why was the doll buried?

Its BORING

The ending is baffling with another plot twist

Its sets up another movie................

Final Thoughts: This was only made for more money which alot of horror movies have small budgets to get back bigger profits, but this really shows that this movie was just made for money and to set up a franchise. 

Overall Grade: F

brahms_the_boy_ii.thumb.jpg.7e1bffbb8403ff625ea75cc3aede36e0.jpg

The Last Thing He Wanted - Review (2020)

The Good
Nothing

The Bad
Dee Rees's HORRIBLE direction

Plus the awful writing with her and Marco Villalobos. 

Anne Hathaway, Ben Affleck, Rosie Perez, Toby Jones, and Willem Dafoe all are wasted with bad writing. 

Anne Hathaway travels bascially across the world and you have no idea really why. 

Theres so many subplots. 

No Chemistry between Affleck and Hathaway

ITS SO BORING. 

So many baffling loose ends

Final Thoughts: Netflix proves they still make garbage Movies sometimes and this is a doozy. 

Overall Grade: F-

last_thing_he_wanted.thumb.jpg.eb3e4f195d0a38bce7aeef13ed479575.jpg

Superman: Red Son (2020) - Movie Review

The Positives:

• The animation, character design, and character models were superb.
  • The story was excellent.  The writing, story telling, and character development were fantastic.  For those who are unfamiliar, Superman: Red Son is a Superman comic series from 2003 that was written by Mark Millar.  Superman: Red Son is an elseworld comic that depicts Superman being raised in the Soviet Union instead here in America.  Superman: Red Son is one of the most widely regarded Superman comics and I have to say it is for good reason.
  • The voice acting is excellent.  You have Jason Isaacs as Superman, Vanessa Marshall as Wonder Woman, Roger Craig Smith as Batman, Dietrich Bader as Lex Luthor, Phil Morris as James "Jimmy" Olsen, Travis Willingham as Superior Man, and Phil Lamarr as John Stewart.
  • The action scenes were phenomenal.

The Negatives:

• None.  I just this film from beginning to end without any nitpick.

Overview: Superman: Red Son is not only one of DC's best animated films, it is also one of the best animated Superman films of all time IMO.

Grade A+

114634239_SupermanRedSon2020film.png.0a0b16f768962186d4e4845af52f9d29.png

• Upvote 1