The King of Hate Forums

Movie Review Thread 4.0: The Unnecessary Reboot

Mank - Review (2020)

The Good
Gary Oldman's performance as Herman J. Mankiewicz an easy lock for an Oscar nomination. 

David Fincher's Direction obviously always great. 

Jack Fincher's fantastic witty script. 

It offers a unique look at Hollwood politics. 

Fantastic cast from Amanda Seyfried who gives her best performance of her career as Marion Davies shes also a lock for Supporting Actress nomination, Tom Burke, Charles Dance, and Arliss Howard, while Lily Collins and Tuppence Middleton are great as Mank's secretary and wife respectively

Tom Pelphrey is terrific as his brother Joseph, and Jamie McShane is unexpectedly affecting in a small role as Mank's aspiring filmmaker friend Shelly Metcalf.

Erik Messerschmidt's gorgeous Cinematography. 

Trent Reznor & Atticus' Ross' Score is one of the years best. 

The Bad
Tom Burke is Incredible as Orson Welles the Director and "co-writer" of Citizen Kane, but he doesnt get enough screen time niether does  Charles Dance as William Randolph Hearst. 

Some stylish nit picks. 

Final Thought: Mank is another winner for both David Fincher and Netflix and one of the best  films of the year. 

Overall Grade: A

wju5yztznbu51.thumb.jpg.495ee02c7cd7a3397b4d1a3e8928bd36.jpg

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Spider-Man 2 - Review The Positives: The story.  The story IMO was excellent.  It was well written, structured and detailed.  I also liked the fact that it implements some comic accuracies

I think its to make the audience score for up because there's no reason to review bomb by the actual dumb sexist people  But anyway the real score from Cinemasxore gave the Film an "A" which mean

Doctor Strange Review The Good Benedict Cumberbatch as Doctor Strange - He is Fantastic once you see this movie you can not see anyone play Strange other than Cumberbatch, he understands the ch

Posted Images

The Prom - Review (2020)

The Good
The Songs are at least good and catchy. 

Meryl Streep is great

Nicole Kidman is good. 

Keegan-Michael Key is always great. 

Has a good message on Self Love. 

The Bad
Ryan Murphy's Direction

Chad Beguelin and Bob Martin's Screenplay is sloppy

Kerry Washington's character is a terrible person 

James Cordin is very bad in this and obviously getting destroyed because of playing a terrinle gay character. 

Visually its ugly

Its 15 minutes too long. 

Final Thoughts: While the music works, Narrativly this movie doesn't work or is memorable. 

Overall Grade: C-

prom_ver10.thumb.jpg.1450135d889cfe14a2ea4c90dfa2ec87.jpg

Sound of Metal - Review (2020)

The Good
Riz Ahmed gives easily a Oscar Performance that will probably get overlooked as he carries this film with such passion in his performance. Also him taking drumming lessons and learn to sign language.  

Darius Marder's direction is Incredible as he really shows the pain, loss, denial, and acceptance of someone losing their hearing. 

Olivia Cooke is also great. 

The Sound Design is brilliant.

The Bad
Theres some melodrama near the end. 

Final Thoughts: Sound of Metal is a great film with an amazing performance from Riz Ahmed and is great movie for the deaf community. 

sound_of_metal.thumb.jpg.0efd56ffeb021f6d7cf1aa44e6f2ec01.jpg

Monster Hunter - Rant (2020)

The Bad (cause you know theres nothing good)
The Awful opening scene.

Paul W. S. Anderson's Shit Direction of course. 

The Premise is Ass and has never been in the games of our world going into the Monster Hunter world trying to stop the Monsters from coming to our world. 

The Acting is terrible from Milla Jovovich who has never been good since The Fifth Element, Tony Jaa who plays The Hunter is over shadowed by trying to make Milla the main character again just like the shit RE Movies, Clifford "T.I." Harris, Jr. isn't funny and hes wasted yeah he dies who cares dont watch this shit, Meagan Good is really shit, and everyone else is shit. 

Ron Pearlman looks ridiculous 

People die and it looks horrible and laughable. 

The Fight scene between The Hunter and Milla is easily one of the worst fight scenes ever with sp much quick cuts to make someones brain explode. 

The AWFUL Lame Racist joke. 

Once again the quick cut editing from Resident Evil: The Final Chapter returns and it once again gives me a headache. 

The Slow Motion is just as bad as watching Michael Bay do it. 

Paul Haslinger is back again to score another shit musical score as he did RE: The Final Chapter he does this shit. 

The  Cinematography is shit it keeps doing the same spin around from high up shot. 

Some of the worst Visual Effects of the year looks worse than PS1.

The Final Act is ass filled with bad CGI, bad action slow motion shots. 

Theres no ending resolution FAIL it just tries to set up a sequel, GOOD JOB PAUL W.S. ANDERSON YOU HACK. 

Final Thoughts: if you pay for this movie you are moron sorry, but its true you obviously want Hollywood and Paul W. S. Anderson to keep making shit video game movies as this is easily one of the worst. 

Overall Grade: Fuck You Paul W.S. Anderson

monster_hunter_ver3.thumb.jpg.e5d399ddad1a78e511249a2ffc416ffe.jpg

Edited by sateler96

Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba the Movie: Mugen Train - Review (2020)

The Good
Tanjiro Kamado, Nezuko Kamado, Inosuke Hashibira, and Zenitsu Agatsuma get more badass moments and characters development. 

The amazing action scenes

Beautiful Animation. 

Still hilarious and dark and emotional as Season 1.

Kyōjurō Rengoku's backstory and is just an amazing character. 

The Dream Sequences are both emotional or hilarious.

The Final Battle is amazing and a roller coaster of emotions to the point i was in tears. 

The Bad 
Not a fucking thing. 

Final Thoughts: The Mugen Train Arc was Incredible and I'm happy they did it as a movie, no i hope Demon Slayer (Season 2) comes in 2021.

Overall Grade: A+
FB_IMG_1607515767662.thumb.jpg.bbfe676aca9519191f40f71048280859.jpg

Edited by sateler96

Songbird - Rant (2020)

The Bad (Once again a movie about Covid getting worse for us, do you think its good?)

The Premise alone IS ASS basically Covid-19 gets worse and mutates to Covid-23 and there are immune people so this is basically a zombie virus movie mixed with Romeo & Juliet........

Adam Mason's first time direction is obviously ass chosen from dumbass himself Michael Bay. 

Adam Mason and Simon Boyes muddled screenplay. 

Everyone is not good from KJ Apa, Sofia Carson, Craig Robinson, Peter Stormare, Alexandra Daddario, Demi Moore, Paul Walter Hauser, and Bradley Whitford. 

COVID HOOKERS 

The editing and Cinematography is ASS to the point it gives me a headache

Lens Flares out the ass. 

The Romance doesn't work cause i dont give a shit. 

Lorne Balfe generic score. 

Final Thought: Trash thats it.

Overall Grade: Fuck You

songbird.thumb.jpg.b35e9018d73692849753c3b75a83fde0.jpg

Wolfwalkers - Review (2020)

The Good
Beautifully Directed by Tom Moore who made Song of the Sea. 

Beautifully animated

Beautifully voice acted 

Will Collins's Screenplay

Its dark when it needs to be. 

Running with the Wolves needs to be nominated for Best Song at the Oscars. 

The Bad
Nothing. 

Final Thoughts: Apple TV+ delivers once again as a Streaming Service ad Wolfwalkers is a beautiful animated movie that may give Soul some competition. 

wolfwalkers_ver3.thumb.jpg.db6c94d64708a6a6c4e82e07a5b2df9d.jpg

Weathering with You - Review (2020)

The Good
Hodaka Morishima and Hina Amano are great characters

Makoto Shinkai's Fantastic direction. 

The premise is great

Its beautifully animated like Your Name. 

The use of the Weather is amazing. 

Visually stunning

Its hilarious

Its in the same world as Your Name (this shocked me)

Amazing Music and a beautiful scote from Radwimps who did Your Name

The ending is pretty fantastic 

The Bad
Unresolved plot threads. 

Final Thoughts: While not as perfect and near heart breaking like Your Name was, Weathering with You is still a great film.

weathering-with-you-scaled.thumb.jpg.aa776cfa5d8280c09f3f06316657d4a0.jpg

• Like 2

Ma Rainey's Black Bottom - Review (2020)

The Good
Chadwick Boseman is Phenomenal and gives a powerful performance easily a Best Actor Nomination and possibly the winner. 

Viola Davis also gives her best performance yet as Ma Rainey. 

George C. Wolfe fantastic direction.  

Ruben Santiago-Hudson very engaging and powerful screenplay. 

The Supporting cast is also great from Colman Domingo, Glynn Turman, Michael Potts, Taylour Paige, and Dusan Brown. 

The Costume and Production design are amazing. 

The ending is truly heartbreaking. 

The Bad
Nothing 

Final Thoughts; This is easily a power house film in acting and a very memorable final performance for Chadwick Boseman.

ma_raineys_black_bottom_ver8.thumb.jpg.64d2fec30dcd7bf50718ec8f78055d17.jpg

Soul - Review (2020)

The Good
Pete Doctor's fantastic direction 

Jamie Foxx makes Joe one of Pixar's most believeable characters. 

Jamie Foxx's and Tina Fey's chemistry help make Joe and 22's dynamic work as that opposites attract situation. 

The Great Supporting voice cast from Richard Ayoade who is amazing, Daveed Diggs, Donnell Rawlings, Angela Bassett, Phylicia Rashad, and Alice Braga, but Rachel House's Terry is a scene stealer. 

Graham Norton's Moonwind I didn't hate like most people did. 

The amazing Jazz music. 

Its a very different Pixar Film as it talks about Life and Death, The Meaning of life, whats your real purpose in life, it gives the hard questions something most Pixar films stay safe in a good way, but this was something different and i loved that

The INSANE Animation when its on Earth it looks almost life like. 

The Bad
Nothing I loved it except for ome not pick that doesn't hurt the movie, but i would of liked to see a God or who was in charge of The Great Before. 

Final Thoughts: Pete Doctor kills it again as he ks 4 for 4 with Pixar films as Soul is definitely my Favorite Animated Movie of the Year. 

soul_ver5.thumb.jpg.32fc7dced356ed0cc740b240edbbb951.jpg

Wonder Woman 1984 - Review (2020)

The Good
Gal Gadot once again is perfection as Diana Prince / Wonder Woman as shes even better as the character than the first movie. 

Her Wonder Woman suit is better and more colorful. 

Patty Jenkins direction once again is great. 

Chris Pine is back and great again with role reversal as he is the fish out of water this time and thats where alot of the comedy shines with him getting used to the 80's. 

The emotional beats are somewhat stronger. 

Pedro Pescal as Maxwell Lord is Perfection with some much hamming it up as he is easily the best villain in the movie who has alot of the best emotional beats in the movie that work. 

The Invisible Jet Easter Egg and scene probably the best scene in the movie. 

The 3rd Act is much better than the first movies 3rd act. 

Hans Zimmer's amazing score once again. 

Post Credit Scene was nice, but still doesn'f lead to bigger things like the MCU does. 

The Bad
The opening scene with Themyscira is really fucking pointless rhe movie never goes back to it and it just makes the movie more longer than it should be, it could of been cut or replaced with more scenes involving the characters. 

The opening fight scene is like watching a scene from an 80's Superhero movie and not a good one. 

The 1st and 2nd acts are not as strong as the first movies acts as theres no amazing No Man's Land Scene. 

It feels more like a Wonder Woman side story than a true sequel.  

Kristen Wigg as Barbara Minerva / Cheetah her CGI is terrible and shes just there to fight Woman Woman since Maxwell Lord can't making her pointless for the movie and shes basically a ugly duckling or a loser like many bad villains like Jim Carey's Riddler or Jamie Foxx's Electro and Lord basically manipulates her and its not good. 

The dumb Rock Mcguffin. 

"The Wall" obviously referencing something.... dumb

The Final Fight is once again forgettable like the Ares fight, the fight with Cheetah is not good and just makes Cheetah look worse. 

Alot of the Visuals are very dodgy or just terrible like scenes with running you can see the CGI or Cheetah is just ass.

The overlong run time and even with it being long you still don't feel like you got enough of the characters. 

While its still good for the movie to do its own thing without worrying on setting up a Universe, but like you got ask where are we going pr leading to in the DCEU, like what is the plan or main goal. 

One thing happens which is great, but for the DCEU canon makes no sense since the DCEU is a hot mess. 

Final Thoughts: There is a great movie in here somewhere its just so busy and overindulgent as the first Wonder Woman is a better and more watchable film and I rather watch other better superheroe movies. 

Overall Grade: B-

Txtd_Dom_Main_Walking_Dual_1sht_WDWMN2-1382x2048.thumb.jpg.c3b47e79b1e09646481114afafcc3416.jpg

• Upvote 1

Wonder Woman 1984 - Review

The Negative(s):

• Let me get this out of the way, I did not like Kristen Wiig as Dr. Barbara Minerva/Cheetah.  Her portrayal was unappealing to me.  IMO she was miscast in this movie.  Also, the CGI on her Cheetah form was hideous.  It looked like she belonged in that god awful CATS movie.

The Positives:

• The story.  Some people had issues with the story.  I did not.  I personally thought the story was fantastic.
  • Patty Jenkins' direction.  Patty Jenkins did a phenomenal job directing this movie.  She once again honored the character of Wonder Woman throughout the film.
  • With the exception of Cheetah, I thought the CGI, visuals, and special effects were outstanding throughout the movie.
  • The action sequences and fight scenes were awesome.  Granted, not quite as awesome as the first film, but still awesome nonetheless.
  • Hans Zimmer's score. As always Hans Zimmer delivers an outstanding score.
  • Lynda Carter cameo.  That's right, the original OG Wonder Woman from 1977 makes a cameo in this movie.
  • The acting outside of Kristen Wiig was tremendous.  Chris Pine was excellent as Steve Trevor.  Pedro Pascal was outstanding as Maxwell Lord despite hamming it up at times.  However, the star of the film for me was Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman.  Once again, she delivers an outstanding performance as the character.

Overview: While not as beautiful as the first film, WW84 is still a beautiful movie.  IMO, it is the best DCEU film since Shazam!.

Grade: A

• Upvote 1
12 minutes ago, MDCFAN101 said:

Wonder Woman 1984 - Review

The Negative(s):

• Let me get this out of the way, I did not like Kristen Wiig as Dr. Barbara Minerva/Cheetah.  Her portrayal was unappealing to me.  IMO she was miscast in this movie.  Also, the CGI on her Cheetah form was hideous.  It looked like she belonged in that god awful CATS movie.

The Positives:

• The story.  Some people had issues with the story.  I did not.  I personally thought the story was fantastic.
  • Patty Jenkins' direction.  Patty Jenkins did a phenomenal job directing this movie.  She once again honored the character of Wonder Woman throughout the film.
  • With the exception of Cheetah, I thought the CGI, visuals, and special effects were outstanding throughout the movie.
  • The action sequences and fight scenes were awesome.  Granted, not quite as awesome as the first film, but still awesome nonetheless.
  • Hans Zimmer's score. As always Hans Zimmer delivers an outstanding score.
  • Lynda Carter cameo.  That's right, the original OG Wonder Woman from 1977 makes a cameo in this movie.
  • The acting outside of Kristen Wiig was tremendous.  Chris Pine was excellent as Steve Trevor.  Pedro Pascal was outstanding as Maxwell Lord despite hamming it up at times.  However, the star of the film for me was Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman.  Once again, she delivers an outstanding performance as the character.

Overview: While not as beautiful as the first film, WW84 is still a beautiful movie.  IMO, it is the best DCEU film since Shazam!.

Grade: A

NO MDC Pedro Hamming it up was amazing xD Pedro cant do no wrong 

1 hour ago, MDCFAN101 said:

I'm not saying it was awful.  I felt there were times his hamming was a bit unnecessary.

Anyways, did you love the Lynda Carter cameo?  I loved it.

It was fine would of rather had a post credit scene leading to something that will help the DCEU, but that will never happen lol

12 minutes ago, sateler96 said:

It was fine would of rather had a post credit scene leading to something that will help the DCEU, but that will never happen lol

Well, you can always thank WB for their occasional stupidity and incompetence for that shit.

Nonetheless, I'm happy that DC is on a roll of making good quality movies.  

We Can Be Heroes - Lazy Review (2020)

The Bad
I dont give a shit about any of the characters.

Robert Rodriguez awful direction. 

The waste of Pedro Pescal. 

The Return of Sharkboy and Lavagirl is pretty forgettable, and its so bad that Sharkboy doesnt even talk since Taylor Laughtner didnt come back cause he was greedy. 

The awful cgi. 

Its somehow more painful than Sharkboy and Lavagirl. 

Final Thoughts: Skip it 

Final Grade: F+

we_can_be_heroes.thumb.jpg.2731bf7eb8bcc1175cd39bd17dad3057.jpg

Nomadland - Review (2020)

The Good
Chloe Zhao's Amazing Direction and Screenplay, she also produced and edited the film herself

Frances McDormand's is always a force of nature and easily getting a oscar nomination. 

Its a great character study. 

Its non narrative layering. 

Joshua James Richards beautiful score. 

Anthony Willis's score. 

The Bad
Nothing really. 

Final Thoughts: Chloe Zhao is now 3 for 3 and this film may be the one to win her Best Director which is pretty good before Enternals comes out next year and Florence probably gonna win her 3rd Oscar maybe unless someone else upsets her. 

nomadland_ver2.thumb.jpg.297b6885da7ab6012b055773228a4658.jpg

Promising Young Woman - Review (2020)

The Good
Carey Mulligan Phenomenal performance easily her best yet and obviously as Oscar Contender. 

Emerald Fennell's amazing direction and her really awesome screenplay 

Bo Burnham gives a really great performance as the guy who likes Carey' character 

Amazing ensemble cast from Alison Brie, Clancy Brown, Jennifer Coolidge, Laverne Cox, Chris Lowell, Connie Britton, Adam Brody, Max Greenfield, Christopher Mintz-Plasse, Sam Richardson, Alfred Molina, and Molly Shannon. 

Its very fucked up, but has the balls to be like its a #MeToo Rape Revenge thriller with twist. 

Anthony Willis sometimes haunting and fun? Score. 

Benjamin Kračun's beautiful score

Amazing Soundtrack 

The Bad
The Twist I kinda saw coming. 

The Ending even though it leads to a good resolution i do not fucking love how the resolution got there, it kinda bums me the fuck out. 

Final Thoughts: Promising Young Woman works as a film until the last 10-15 Minutes of the movie, but that doesn't take away from Cqrey Mulligan's amazing performance.

Overall Grade: B+

promising_young_woman_ver3.thumb.jpg.6ed7066ec9554f6c608c124c0d52f883.jpg

Edited by sateler96

The Father - Review (2020)

The Good
Anthony Hopkins is PHENOMENAL as the movie shows his dementia from his point of view and its really heart breaking as he carries the entire film. 

Olivia Colman is also amazing giving another Oscar worthy performance. 

Florian Zeller's Direction and how he depicts Dementia on the film. 

Zeller's Screenplay with Christopher Hampton that is based on Zeller's play Le Père. 

The Bad
Nothing. 

Final Thoughts: The Father is easily carried by Hopkins and Colman. 

father_ver3.thumb.jpg.5572498eb5a9640016301eed0f981e98.jpg

Minari - Review (2020)

The Good
Lee Isaac Chung's Fantastic Direction and screenplay with the 1980's setting. 

Steven Yeun and Han Ye-ri fantastic performance that both describe award consideration.

Alan Kim as David and Noel Kate Cho as Anne the children of the main characters are really great and Youn Yuh-jung as Han Ye-ri characters mother is really great too. 

Will Patton is also fantastic as the neighbor who helps Yeun get his Farm/Garden going. 

Lachlan Milne's beautiful Cinematography. 

Emile Mosseri's beautiful score. 

*Side Note* Even though the movie is mostly in Korean its still an American film something the Golden Globes are too fucking stupid to realise that. 

The Bad
Nothing this was an amazing film. 

Final Thought: Minari is really an amazing film with 2 amazing performances and really great child performances. 

minari_ver2.thumb.jpg.6738354c8b2ad8f40e6c49eb03e7389b.jpg

The Vast of Night - Review (2020)

The Good
Andrew Patterson's wonderful direction 

James Montague and Craig W. Sanger very original and engaging screenplay which is loosely based on the Kecksburg UFO incident and Foss Lake Disappearances. 

Sierra McCormick and Jake Horowitz are both wonderful. 

Its a love letter to the 1950's technology. 

The Incredible tracking shot. 

The way it goes back to a 1950's TV i loved. 

Very small budget, but thats not always a bad thing. 

The Bad 
It can be slow at times. 

Final Thoughts: The Vast of Night is a wonderful indie film to watch especially for people who love UFO sightings or mysterys. 

vast_of_night_ver2.thumb.jpg.94387c08a1344ef32ae071bb21dbab8e.jpg

Spontaneous - Review (2020)

The Good 
Katherine Langford who was amazing in 13 Reasons Why (Season 1) and ruined in the 2nd season finally gets a lead role that shows that she is incredibly talented. 

Brian Duffield's directorial debut as he wrote The Babysitter and now i know why the 2nd movie sucked ass cause he didnt write and made this, but thats fine cause this way better than those 2 movies and his darkly funny screenplay. 

Charlie Plummer gives also a stand out performance. 

The Romance chemistry works and its cute. 

Watch this movie not knowing anything cause its shockingly awesome. 

Shockingly gory, but won't say why . 

Soundtrack is awesome

Social Commentary on how our Government are a bunch of morons.

The Bad
Nothing loved it

Final Thought: Spontaneous is a wierd dark romance that I didn't know i needed. 

FB_IMG_1609478290050.thumb.jpg.80c7a714318f990d0701f8f306be0705.jpg

Edited by sateler96

Black Bear - Review (2020)

The Good
Aubrey Plaza carries this movie with a really amazing performance.

Lawrence Michael Levine's direction and his script. 

The Twist?

Its best knowing nothing about this movie.  

The Bad
The Meta kinda goes to far to be honest 

It kinda gets slow and boring and out of control sometimes. 

Final Thought: Black Bear isnt perfect, but Aubrey Plaza is fantastic. 

Overall Grade: B

black_bear.thumb.jpg.bf9b470dad708d3d4fba555f04332460.jpg