The King of Hate Forums
MajorInsane

Jimmy Kimmel's jab at YouTube Gaming and culture backfires.

So if you're not aware Jimmy Kimmel decided to take a jab at YouTube Gaming and Video Game culture and he's getting quite a backlash and  not just from his viewers but a lot of well known gaming Youtubers. I can completely understand he doesn't get the culture that's fine but just because he doesn't understand it doesn't mean he should take a shot at it. https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCa6vGFO9ty8v5KZJXQxdhaw

Some times you watch others play a game because you either can't afford it or are just checking it out to see if it fits your taste.  

Edited by LamboGTR
  • Upvote 1

This would have been funny if he'd done it years ago with the advent of Twitch and streaming in general, but now live streaming is so commonplace on the internet (surely the fact the biggest video sharing site on the web launched an entire service dedicated to it would have tipped him and his writers off?) it just shows him as a guy very out of touch with digital culture.

• Upvote 2

I still wouldn't consider video game broadcasting or "Let's Plays" mainstream even though it has grown rapidly. I know a lot of people who play video games but no one in real life that ever streams.

Bit of a faulty analogy. Like saying "I know a lot of people who watch movies but I don't know any actors".

Very much think watching video game streams/Let's Plays has become mainstreams; even my girlfriend who rarely plays a game herself often watches the likes of Totalbiscuit, Giant Bomb and various other Youtubers.

On the video itself. It was kinda uncalled for IMO to do the joke especially when video gaming on YouTube is arguably the largest form of entertainment on the site which is one of the reasons why YouTube Gaming was made. Now I just want to say that I don't hate Kimmel or anything like that it's just that the joke seemed a little out of touch and came off as completely mean spirited to the masses. If he had done the joke earlier like 5 or 6 years ago people would seem ok with it but now times had changed and video gaming is pretty common place on YouTube. 

That was just ignorant of him to say. He doesn't understand it since hes old and basically calls everyone out and making fun of them. Yes he is a comedian but this wasn't a funny scit. He literally just insulted so many people calling them idiots. Im just not even gonna watch any of his stuff anymore. John Oliver is the best anyway

Not an attack on gaming culture, IMO. He just doesn't seem to get why a gamer would want to watch someone else play a game rather than play it themselves, which I'm sure seems like a reasonable criticism from someone who's out of touch with the current gaming industry.

His mention of playing the original arcade machines back in the day should be an indicator of how behind he is, which is pretty much the norm for most people his age.

Jimmy Kimmel: “When I was a kid, you only watched other kids play video games when you ran out of quarters, and then you’d stand there.”

Born in 1967 Jimmy was a kid in the 70's. There you have it folks, the video was produced based on a 1970's perspective of video game culture.

Not an attack on gaming culture, IMO. He just doesn't seem to get why a gamer would want to watch someone else play a game rather than play it themselves, which I'm sure seems like a reasonable criticism from someone who's out of touch with the current gaming industry.

An attack is still an attack even if its based on ignorance imo. Imagine if Jimmy said people who watch basketball games are "a race of idiots" for watching other people play basketball instead of playing it themselves. When it comes to gaming culture Jimmy is extremely obtuse, thats why that video has a dislike ratio of 10 to 1.

I don't see the joke as mean-spirited, but as many people have pointed out, it's not an especially well-thought out joke. Is it silly to watch sports too? People eating? Chess? Consider the logic of why people watch those activities, and you'll see that the same logic can easily apply to games too. A few reasons:

- High level play can be very interesting for strategic insight

- Personality of the commentator: being humorous, creative or insightful 

- Checking a few videos to decide if you want to make a purchase

• Upvote 1

It was a joke and a pretty milquetoast one at that.  Comedians are paid to do this stuff all the time.  Simply put, people need to learn to take a joke, especially such easily made ones.  I mean, come on, jokes about watching video games?  Holy cow, that's fresh.

• Upvote 1

Can't find an issue with this. Ignorance is the driving factor of the skit. I did not find it that funny, but I am not the one watching late night talk shows, either. Hey, at least more people know about YouTube Gaming, right?

It was a joke and a pretty milquetoast one at that.  Comedians are paid to do this stuff all the time.  Simply put, people need to learn to take a joke, especially such easily made ones.  I mean, come on, jokes about watching video games?  Holy cow, that's fresh.

I saw this post on Twitter from Che, I like how you went on their podcast and were completely civil yet they continue to shit talk you and twist your words into "ur salty lol" for their own benefit. Not to derail the topic or anything, just felt the need to point this out.

But yeah, back to the topic humor is subjective. For me personally life is too short to be offended by anything people say, and if Jimmy Kimmel is a paid comedian (like Phil) people really shouldn't be butthurt over the things he says/said. It's the internet, after all. Tl;dr I think people just actively look for something to bitch about.

Notice how Kimmel didn't respond to the sports analogies, he tried to dodge them. Zac_OC asked why he made an NBA episode instead of playing basketball. He didn't answer the question--the obvious answer being that viewers find it entertaining to see sports--he just said he would play basketball if he was in the NBA. Then in response to the next comment, he admitted that watching sports was also stupid, but somehow video game viewing is worse because it's "one more step removed from human activity." No, it's not. Not in the case of the viewer, and not in the case of player either. As a viewer, you are staring at a screen in both cases. As for the player being removed from human activity, does he think that games play themselves, without a human actively pressing the buttons?

You could also argue that watching experts play video games can give you skills that are more easily transferable to the relevant interest than sports-watching. Just watching sports won't make you a pro-level athlete, whereas you can often learn discrete tactics that can be reliably reproduced in your own game when you watch an expert game player. Perhaps chess would be a more persuasive analogy for Kimmel, but I think he's just trying to fan the flames for more laughs, and not trying to be as open-minded as he claims. 

There will always be out-of-proportion comments in any controversial video, and Kimmel was right not to take the death threats seriously, but any side in a debate can look ridiculous if you pick mostly troll comments to respond to and not some of the more valid claims. He was mostly hand-wavy about the latter, and avoided some of the more articulate arguments on the other side. 

I reiterate that this was probably the point. Strawman tactics are for generating laughs (undeserved in this case), not for generating even-handed discussion. "Watch a video of someone going outside to play." Maybe I would, if there was something exceptional about it. Like if it was a kid missing half his brain and swinging normally on the monkey bars. And that captures why we watch anything to begin with, whether it be sports, or video games, or chess, or cooking. It's as simple as this: the person we're watching on video is doing something we find interesting. 

Edited by KingBunghole

I love how it's obvious as fuck Jimmy Kimmel did the joke for attention and no one saw it and everyone gave him said attention. I hate to be that super cynical guy, but the video gaming community in general really is full of the dumbest, most overly sensitive, vapid little mind warped drones out there. I bet if Kimmel did that joke ( tweaked, of course) based on movies, no one would give a shit but if it's gaming then everyone loses their minds.

I wish gaming could be about playing and enjoying games again, not useless drama shit like SWATing, or Doxxing, or DDoS or fanboy wars between consoles, or this stupid shit where a lame comedian makes ONE joke and suddenly I'm seeing vids in my sub box from ReviewTechUSA, StoneFoxMedia and others on this. *Sigh*

• Upvote 2