The King of Hate Forums
Phil

Ask the King Ep. 56: Late November-December 2015

Hi, Phil:

I have been a DSP fan boy for a long time (since early 2009), I am from Taiwan, by the way.

Recently, there have been plenty of terrible attack around the world (such as ISIS, ... etc), even in Taiwan, a small country of mine, people can't get gun easily, but even so, people who don't have guns use knife, so there were still many random attack events in Taiwan, and our media just blames them by his hobby which is: playing video games... I remember in USA, media and society also prefer to connect killers/attackers with whether they play violent video games. The classic example is "Columbine High School massacre", which the killers played DOOM.

I am a hard core gamer, and I like DOOM series a lot, but we know it's very different from reality (I love realistic graphics of video games though). But I am not 100% sure if it affects people or not, maybe it makes us a little more violent or have bad temper deep inside? If yes, how do we face this issue positively? Because it's art, we still would like to enjoy it, harmlessly.

So my questions are:

1. What do you think about this (the connection between video games and violent behaviors)? If they do have connections, how do we deal with that?

2. How have video games affected you in bad and good ways?

Thanks in advance :)

Hello Phil Happy Thanksgiving and I wish you a successful end of the year.

As a fan who follows you on a daily basis, I notice that you have had to take many sick days unannounced.  I'm aware that you've had your fair share of health problems in the past (though your in better shape than ever).  Your nasal drip seems to be a constant nuisance for you.  My question to you is: Do you see this as a growing problem that needs to be fixed or just normal obstacles?  Obviously these sick days aren't paid, and deprive you of money that you definitely need.  As a fan, it can be a bit annoying and worrisome to check in on you just to find out that you can't stream.  I never followed you regularly before early 2012, but I think you were playing games almost everyday with fewer sick days (maybe due to the lack of streaming).  If you think you have some room for health improvement, how could you achieve this?  Maybe Leanna's soaps could help.  Anyways, I do hope that this doesn't become too much of an issue in the future.  I do hope that your business turn around in 2016? We'll be rooting for you!

Sincerely,

cjpacquing (pronounced see-jay-packing)

Hey Phil, since you live in the state of Washington, what is your stance on Marijuana legalization? Do you believe the war on drugs has been a failure? And have you tried recreational marijuana since moving to Washington? If not, would you?

Thanks for all you do, Phil! I've been a fan since Fallout 3. Thanks for the laughs over the years!

Hey Phil.

I figure this would be a good question to ask for a Thanksgiving special Ask The King. How do you feel about Black Friday, or rather now its Black Thursday for a lot of retail companies. My brother has to work at Walmart all day today and can't spend the day with my siblings and I. Walmart *thinks* that being open on Thanksgiving will give them more sales but in reality, they're just moving the sales they would have on Friday to Thursday. How do you feel about this practice? Is it wrong of them to do this or am I just upset because I can't spend one of the only days I have a year with my family??\

Edited by evokertotheface
  • Upvote 1

Hey Phil, just curious as why you never play the Dead or Alive games.

DoA5 was an incredibly good fighting game and I feel like a huge fighting game fan like you isn't giving the series a fair chance

• Upvote 1

Hey phill my Joshua. if i donate $30 worth of pc games to you. would you be Willing to bring back your giveaways.

I already sent you an email with full details.

So lately there's been a bit of controversy in regards to Nintendo of America and Xenoblade Chronicles X. Basically, NoA decided to censor the game a little by removing the bust slider for the female character customization (as the main character is an avatar you create) so that all female created characters have the same bust. Now I'm not big on creating my own characters, but I can understand that some people that love creating characters would be upset by this. However, some people are outright boycotting the game just because of this removal. Now I have no idea why they would remove it nor have they given a reason for it, but imo, these people are really overreacting given the amount of content and the fact that there will be 3 free DLC's for the game. So I basically want to hear your take on this. Are these people in the right with how they reacted to this minor censorship or are they overreacting and this is really a non-issue?

Hey Phil would you consider a Patreon marathon for summer downtime where you either play A) Games you purposely skipped over the years and decide which one will become playthroughs or B) Go back and complete games you havent gotten around to beating?

I apologize ahead of time if this is diving into personal matters, but I would like an answer for a topic that was brought up in the Pre-Fallout 4 Coverage Video

By all means, I am not trying to stir up more drama, but clearly Phil did not attend a certain event due to personal matters and I respect that. But after reading the comments in the fallout 4 videos, I was reading that the event that you did not attend to was on the initial week of Fallout 4's release. I highly doubt you'll answer and if you can't by all means don't, and I really don't want to bring in more negativity, but why couldn't you have just said you just couldn't go? I can understand that you've been tight on funds, perhaps you weren't feeling well, etc.

And you did have the idea of marathoning Fallout 4 like crazy before the event. I understand that you might have not expected the review copy to come sooner than you expected, but it was a possibility and chance for you to possibly start Fallout 4, get a ton of videos lined up and that would have worked.

Again these are my thoughts, might sound crazy, but yeah

Keep up the work Phil

Hi Phil!

You keep praising Fallout 4 not only for its gameplay but also for its visuals. Yet, many have complained that the game looks very outdated. I think so as well. It's obvious that they are using an old engine. Especially the water and shadow effects look pretty bad imo. Even if you like the game overall, don't you agree that Bethesda was a little bit cheap with regard to Fallout 4? It feels more like Fallout 3.5 than Fallout 4, doesn't it?

Edited by HankyPanky