The King of Hate Forums
BloodshotSpectre

Observations and suggestions in regards to DarkSydePhil's decreasing views

I would agree, except for how Phil does his edited content. He's always saying he doesn't have time to do it, so it doesn't happen very often. I fear it might end up like his main channel, tons of inactive subs. But this time it'll be because his edited content is so far and few between that new people would forget they're subbed to him and not watch the videos. I mean, look what happened when he moved. If just a week or two made people forget about him and stop watching what's to say a month between videos on that channel won't?

I think part of the reason it takes too long is that he tries to cram too much in there.  He doesn't seem good at assessing the varying value of his content and ruthlessly prioritising.  I think some of his 'best of' series ended up suffering the same problem of being too much of a time-sink to watch (the longest went on for hours, as a whole series), which defeats the whole purpose of doing it if the purpose is to reach out to people on a tight schedule who want something digestible.  This is why I think it didn't get the views he had hoped for either.  I say be brutal, make it no more than five minutes, and then there's something left worth watching in the full pt.

I think part of the reason it takes too long is that he tries to cram too much in there.  He doesn't seem good at assessing the varying value of his content and ruthlessly prioritising.  I think some of his 'best of' series ended up suffering the same problem of being too much of a time-sink to watch (the longest went on for hours, as a whole series), which defeats the whole purpose of doing it if the purpose is to reach out to people on a tight schedule who want something digestible.  This is why I think it didn't get the views he had hoped for either.  I say be brutal, make it no more than five minutes, and then there's something left worth watching in the full pt.

I think 10-15 minutes is a good length for the montages, but I do agree that a montage for a playthrough should be a single video not a series. It should be just a few funny or interesting moments to give people a small taste and entice them into watching the full playthrough.

I think another reason people might not watch is that the people who would've ordinarily watched already watched the whole playthrough again to suggest funny moments to Phil. Why would they want to watch the montage after that?

Edited by EmeraldArcher

This wont help views in a major way but I suggest reorganizing your YouTube channel. You use the section feature to (Pardon the pun) feature the playlists of your recent and popular series. TheRadBrad does it in an intresting way. He use the section for multiple playlists to feature all his playthroughs from a spesific year and I think you should do the same. You can group together your big playthroughs for every year or two years (2010, 2011-2012, 2013-2014, 2015, 2016). Since YouTube limits you to 10 sections per channel you have 5 more. So you can make another one for smaller gameplay series and updates/prestreams. In addition this could be good for cross promotion so you can feature series from another channel. Your vlogs, your new upcoming channel (I recomend you start that in the middle November) and your classic playthroughs on your original channel. That way instead of scrolling through 1000 of playlists or searching for a playthrough they might not know existed new users can see all your recent and classic series on the front page.

That way instead of scrolling through 1000 of playlists or searching for a playthrough they might not know existed new users can see all your recent and classic series on the front page.

There are some improvements to that problem coming up.

Between AC Syndicate,Halo 5,WWE 2k16,Need for Speed,Call of Duty,Tomb Raider and Fallout 4(plus Disgaea 5 on the backburner) who all come out in the next 2 weeks(Plus Battlefront 1 week later) I think he will be in trouble and I foresee the repeat of last year's debacle.2 daily streams/sessions with around 4-4,5h(less on weekends) of gameplay may not be enough imho. 

• Upvote 1

Honestly I dont think Phil's views have went down too much over the past couple years. I've noticed that he has roughly 5000 viewers that watch ever part of the playthrough. Depending on intrest of the game it can be lower, higher, or go viral occasionally. This has been the case for a few years. Not just recently. Maybe people just dont want full playthroughs anymore. Or maybe  making longer videos affected his views? Either way Phil has always had a small viewerbase in the past couple years.

Between AC Syndicate,Halo 5,WWE 2k16,Need for Speed,Call of Duty,Tomb Raider and Fallout 4(plus Disgaea 5 on the backburner) who all come out in the next 2 weeks(Plus Battlefront 1 week later) I think he will be in trouble and I foresee the repeat of last year's debacle.2 daily streams/sessions with around 4-4,5h(less on weekends) of gameplay may not be enough imho. 

this year has been his worst and the views are going down considerably. It seems what Phil is saying is correct and few ppl are watching anymore.

You are correct,his views dropped big time in September and October.And if the playthroughs keep dragging on (and they will since he said today that for whatever reason he will play even less than what I stated in my post) even more people will lose interest.Although he said he will not play NFS so that's good I guess...We will see soon enough

I think Phil needs to pick and choose to play hyped games. As a gamer he has no shortage of games to choose from. What games will help his business thrive is debatable. So far in terms of what will get views, I think Call of Duty and Fallout are his best chances. Halo I think its not possible since the review copys were sent. Most people already know the story from other people, so now its about making fun looking multiplayer matches. But there may still be an audience that would watch Phil play the story.

Edited by Ziggy

Yeah so I continued to look at the views of old playthroughs. It seems like Phils viewerbase started to slowly decline after 2011. Almost every playthrough before that was very sucessful with each video hitting 5 digits and beyond. It was around in 2012 when his viewer base trailed off. There could be many factors. The hype of certain games, the increase in other lets players, the spreading of negitivity. But i think the real issue is people don't want full playthroughs anymore and/or have gotten used to Phil's content. People want something new and intresting. Perfect example. The original Phoenix Wright playthrough from 2011 every video had great views. The sequel in 2012 had great views at the start but slightly trailed off and the return in 2014 only had a few thousands per video. So I hate to say it but I dont see Halo 5, WWE, or Call of Duty taking off. People have already seen you play those series.

My advice is to focus on those 5000 consistant views per video. Figue out how much money you make on an average video, how much you would like to make in a days work and use that information to figue out how long videos should be/how many videos there should be. The main reason you are still successful is because you upload alot. The more condensed a playthrough is the more views you get.

My second bit of advice you arent going to like. You should focus less on DSPGaming. If a large portion of people trailed off that might be a sign to try something new. A way I see doing this to go back to the way before you lost your old job where your playthroughs were your hobby. Only what was your 9-5 job is now you working on a new project like your new channel. I mean lets face it. You've been slacking with the montages (Stil waiting for Alan Wake part 2), Project 7 was delayed, you haven't started your new series like Game Day, and you've barley touched your green screen. This was because you didnt have time for it. Okay but what you do have time for isnt working well anymore and your in debt from moving. If you spent everyday working on creative project like how you worked at your old job you could get a lot done. Plus you did full playthroughs since day one so its not like that would be going away.

I hate to say it like this but DSPgaming is a sinking ship. Clinging to it is what will likley put you out of business.

• Upvote 3

I watched the prestream yesterday. Phil said he has no idea why these months have been low of views but there are a couple of obvious reasons. Project 7 is certainly one of them and the Alan wake montage didn't help: if you set some patreon goals and then don't provide the content people paid for (or you produce less than the bare minimum) it's only natural for people to leave.

It's good he's trying to listen more to people's feedback but this is not enough, especially if you claim you'll stop complaining about views and then you go 5 time with the appeal "give me 1 dollar and I'll be fine". I mean, you can't shit on people (twitch streamers) for e-begging and then do that pity speech, no one is interested in this kind of stuff. It's like going to a restaurant and having the waiter complain about how bad their business is doing.

The solution is not playing every new release, as much as Phil hates it he's supposed to look for another job, at least a part time one for now. If you think the youtube business is in danger, you gotta look for something elsewhere. It's not the fans who have to fix your income, you have to take action. 

Well, here you have my 2 cents. Stay cool everyone

• Upvote 2

yeahright.jpg

yeahright.jpg

You use his Patreon as proof of his success, but I think it's proof of the opposite. He needs Patreon because his videos alone aren't cutting it anymore. He made as much clear yesterday with his "if everyone dona- pledged $1" thing. Bottom line, Patreon won't save him. He needs to do something and do it soon.

Edited by EmeraldArcher
  • Upvote 3

I said DSPGaming not Patreon and Patreon is pointless if he cant get decent views on YouTube. Also Im a little annoyed that your response to my entire argument is "He has a Patreon".

And I was right. The views on the new games are terrible. Each playthrough part is starting to have less then his already low average of 5000 and in some cases the part one videos struggle to break 10000.

Also I am pissed that hes not working on Alan Wake part 2. No excuses this time Phil. This was promised as a goal in Setember that you would continue the series in October. I mean I understand what happened with Project 7 but all you had to do was make one video that would have taken 1-2 days of work. You said the point of Patreon was to be able to take days out of gaming but as of late you haven't put any effort into this. How can we trust you to commit to a new channel when you cant even commit to one montage?

Not only that but you claimed that you would only stream for big events and game premieres. The problem was that you streamed every day but you went back on your change within a week. 400 views is not alot BTW.

Here's the problem. New series, Patreon goals, live streaming. You cant commit to change. By live streaming every day and not working on creative series you've proven that everything you talked about in Hate Live was a waste. Now we are back to sqaure one. Your views a getting lower and you're in debt.

Sorry Phil but you're still the same person as 2008. Still doing the same playthroughs. People are sick of it. Why do you insist on pushing DSPGaming when its clearly dying. Please consider the advice on my previous post.

• Upvote 2

You use his Patreon as proof of his success, but I think it's proof of the opposite. He needs Patreon because his videos alone aren't cutting it anymore. He made as much clear yesterday with his "if everyone dona- pledged $1" thing. Bottom line, Patreon won't save him. He needs to do something and do it soon.

Why is using Pateron "proof of non-success?"? It's another way for artists to get paid. Your logic makes zero sense. Nothing stays the same on the Internet for long and all the greats are using Patreon in addition to other revenue. You should learn not to be so skeptical.

Edited by Davey_J_Jr
  • Upvote 1

Why is using Pateron "proof of non-success?"? It's another way for artists to get paid. Your logic makes zero sense. Nothing stays the same on the Internet for long and all the greats are using Patreon in addition to other revenue. You should learn not to be so skeptical.

Yes, it's a way for artists to get paid. And yes, other youtubers have patreon pages too. The difference between those YouTubers and Phil is that Phil started his patreon because the money he was making from his videos wasn't enough, still isn't. He didn't do it because he wanted to give his fans another way to a support him. He did it because he needs more money to support the lifestyle he wants to lead.

• Upvote 2

Getting annoyed by his constant begging now, didn't really like it before either. Like Jesus dude don't have to mention Patreon so god damn often pretty sure people aren't that forgetful. If anything this makes those gosh darn haters want to donante and troll you more often.

Wee bit off topic but I can't believe Phil considered suing YouTube. If he couldn't even sue those two people from a little while back because a lack of money how in the hell did he think he was gonna sue YouTube? 

Edited by Thescrubmaster
  • Upvote 1

I only watch DSP first couple of videos of a playthrough. It makes me decide if I want to buy the game later on. Which in turns makes me not continue watching. But then there is the other side I watch to see what the game is about and if its uninteresting to me then I will stop like Transformers game he played. Now I will watch an entire playthrough if its a game I am very interested in seeing but I know I am never going to buy it if that makes sense. For starters the one thing I am getting a bit annoyed about lately is that Phil keeps discussing about views. I thought a fan describe to him how annoying it is. And he said he would stop. I just wish he would stop for good or atleast mention it like every once in a while.

So it's perfectly acceptable for everyone else on the internet to open up a Patreon and push it, but not me. Despite the fact I was one of the VERY few people able to support myself ONLY on YouTube income for 4+ years and never accepted donations or any other income during that time (even though people ASKED me to accept other forms) and I refused, but now that I've done it, I'm in the wrong.

So it would have been okay for me to accept free money from viewers when I was super popular and making tons of money, but now that I'm not, it's not allowed? Logic defies many of you.

Yeah, I've criticized others for e-begging when they do it DURING THE CONTENT OF THEIR STREAMS. As in, it's blatantly obvious why you're streaming if every time someone subs on Twitch, you stop the entire thing to play noises and thank each and every person; just like it's blatantly obvious why those people are donating in the first place (to get attention on a stream with lots of viewers). I've NEVER said that accepting donations or having a Patreon in general was wrong - but complete morons who only want to talk trash about me will say that I'm a hypocrite when in reality, it's just that these sociopathic children are following me everywhere, and turning my EVERY move into something negative. Fuck them.

I never interrupt my gameplay content for shilling anything. It's all contained to prestream/post-stream or an update vlog etc. and will always be. 

"I don't like Phil mentioning Patreon so much!" Pretty much everyone else who uses Patreon mentions it during EVERYTHING they do, I only mention it during prestreams etc. So grow up and realize this is a business, and there will be advertisement at appropriate times. Or else when the business fails and I can't do this anymore, you have nothing to complain about? But let's face it, the majority of people who are complaining aren't actually in it to see me be successful anyway, are they?

Really want me to stop talking about views and Patreon so much? Pledge to Patreon. If 1/10th the people who watch my stuff did $1 a month, you'd NEVER hear me mention it again. But if you're not willing to do that but STILL want to watch free content daily? Then YOU have no right to be a dick to me about mentioning views and Patreon. You can't have it BOTH ways, genius!

And I'm seriously done listening to the insane nitpicking bullshit. "You're still streaming too much, you haven't changed at all this year!" when in reality TONS has changed. Everything I'm doing is in reaction to feedback: play more games, do less montages (which is why Alan Wake never continued); stream less but don't completely abandon it especially with the new releases coming out (yet I still get told daily I'm streaming too much/NOT ENOUGH no matter what I do) etc. Nothing is ever going to be perfectly how YOU specifically want it, so either you can enjoy it or move on; but don't sit here posting up bullshit and then do nothing to contribute.

Which is exactly my point: the thread title is SUGGESTIONS but all I see are negative observations: views are down, Phil talks about views too much, Phil talks about Patreon too much. Well the sun is too hot, water is too wet, and sand is TOO FUCKING DRY. That's all well and good but how about some actual suggestions to help instead of turning it into a bitch-fest? Because this is why I stopped participating in the forums so much in the first place: everyone wants to dump, nobody wants to help.

Suddenly it's against the natural order of things to want money, I really don't understand people on the internet these days. Where is this moral high ground coming from? Why is Phil's hatebase not going after all these people on twitch with flashy donation bars and special effects? Oh that's right, because Phil is vulnerable. Perfect target for the everyday bully.

If I could get more money to pay for my lavish trips overseas I would sell myself on youtube everyday. ;)

Edited by KGhaleon
  • Upvote 1

Suddenly it's against the nature order of things to want money, I really don't understand people on the internet these days. Where is this moral high ground coming from?

If I could get more money to pay for my lavish trips overseas I would sell myself on youtube everyday. ;)

I'm a philosopher,negotiator,intellectual, and a skeptic, so the thing I wanna know is, where did the "we're too good" to understand's another's needs or wants thing, come from anyway?

most of the people I am sub on youtube. Make one video about their patreon and thats about it barely mention it, They just have it in the description of every video or a text pops up at like 5mins in saying support my patreon and it disappears in like 30 seconds. But the one that do have a patreon are ones that mostly just play minecraft. And their patreon insensitive is that you can play on a patreon server where you can play with the person you are supporting. Also shirts apparently too.

Edited by AlucardViDracul

most of the people I am sub on youtube. Make one video about their patreon and thats about it barely mention it just has it in the description of every video. But the one that do have a patreon are ones that mostly just play minecraft. And their patreon insensitive is that you can play on a patreon server where you can play with the person you are supporting. Also shirts apparently too.

You can get shirts signed by Phil himself. As for the minecraft servers, not so much. You can help decide which game he plays next though.