The King of Hate Forums
cooper

FINAL FANTASY 7 REMAKE WILL BE A MULTI-PART SERIES

I knew square would fuck this up somehow..... 

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2015/12/07/psx-2015-final-fantasy-7-remake-will-be-a-multi-part-series

12 minutes ago, cooper said:

I knew square would fuck this up somehow..... 

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2015/12/07/psx-2015-final-fantasy-7-remake-will-be-a-multi-part-series

Yup, this and the original composer wont be involved killed my hype for this, probably for the better though....Still gonna buy it.

Edited by Decypher

Cloud's design is no different than his original art:

1. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/9e/Cloud_Strife.png

This whole multi-part thing sounds pretty lame though, I'd rather wait 10 years and get one big release with all the content.

Edited by KGhaleon

12 hours ago, KGhaleon said:

Cloud's design is no different than his original art:

1. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/9e/Cloud_Strife.png

This whole multi-part thing sounds pretty lame though, I'd rather wait 10 years and get one big release with all the content.

I don't dispute that he looks mostly the same, but as I said, the 3D model's arms look too small in proportion to his body. Some other people have remarked on this, try viewing this video at around the 50 second mark if you haven't already: 

5 hours ago, FireEmblemFan said:

I can actually see this episodic thing working. If they do an "episode" for each disc that FFVII originally had, it could work out just fine, I think. 

FFVII was multi-disc by necessity because they couldn't fit the whole game on a PS1 disc. I doubt Squeenix is doing this for the same reason (and even if they are, they're charging for three separate releases instead of one multi-disc release). The scale of the game and graphics don't look that mind-blowing, and we should be moving away from multi-discs in this console generation. 

I'm more inclined to believe the cynical view, Squeenix is doing this because FFVII is huge and they know they can get away with it. 

---

Some people are also disappointed by the fact that it's now an action RPG instead of a turn-based one where you micro-manage the tactics of each party member. Personally, I quite like action RPGs like Kingdom Hearts. It should be interesting to view the various play-styles of each character and the different tactics they can contribute, but the multi-disc deal is definitely fishy... 

So Square Enix just came out with a full explanation as to why this is how it is.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/12/07/this-is-why-the-final-fantasy-7-remake-is-in-multiple-parts?utm_source=IGN%20hub%20page&utm_medium=IGN%20(front%20page)&utm_content=6&utm_campaign=Blogroll

19 minutes ago, SilentWarrior25 said:

So Square Enix just came out with a full explanation as to why this is how it is.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/12/07/this-is-why-the-final-fantasy-7-remake-is-in-multiple-parts?utm_source=IGN%20hub%20page&utm_medium=IGN%20(front%20page)&utm_content=6&utm_campaign=Blogroll

So it's an issue of scale, and them wanting to give the game into player hands as soon as possible. Meh. I'm not sure if I can fully believe them until I see more footage, that leads me to believe that this game is technical masterpiece that couldn't be done on one disc. And are all of these releases going to be a full-priced retail game? 

They also mentioned that the battle system won't require intricate technique but will be strategic like the original game. I thought one of the positives of going real-time would be the need for technique.

A strange choice but if executed properly, I think it will be fine. I think people just wanted to full experience immediately and not told over a series of months or years, which is fair. This also ruins the game for speedrunners and the like who thought the remake would just be an overhaul to the game in one body. 

• Upvote 1

On ‎2015‎-‎12‎-‎07 at 2:59 PM, KingBunghole said:

So it's an issue of scale, and them wanting to give the game into player hands as soon as possible. Meh. I'm not sure if I can fully believe them until I see more footage, that leads me to believe that this game is technical masterpiece that couldn't be done on one disc. And are all of these releases going to be a full-priced retail game? 

They also mentioned that the battle system won't require intricate technique but will be strategic like the original game. I thought one of the positives of going real-time would be the need for technique.

They confirmed that each episode will be the size of a full game Imagine the size off the FF13 Trilogy was FF7 as a whole. I think thats what they're going for.

So I'm bringing this topic back up because there's new news regarding it. Unfortunately, each game will be treated as a full length game with the full retail price to boot. And we're expecting at least a trilogy, so if you want the full experience as soon as possible, you will have to fork out a minimum of $180. And they're going to treat the remake similar to the Final Fantasy XIII trilogy, where the prices I mentioned are the same. And from the sounds of it, it will be one game for every two years like FF 13 was, with the original in 2010, 13-2 in 2012, and Lightning Returns in 2014. I'm admittedly a little pissed about this. I would've been fine with this if it was actually episodic in the sense that $60 = all 3 (or more) games. What also sucks is they never said exactly how many games will be released, so it's entirely possible that the full experience won't be out for 10 years or so.

I find it really hard to be optimistic here. My optimist in me says that they are doing something like a full FF7 then they do FF7 Crisis Core and then FF7 "random spin off". The realist in me says they do FF7 part 1, part 2 and part 3. Dunno how the RPG elements would work going from one game to another, makes a whole new level of issues with missable items for example ^^. Then again, didn't that Hack/Sign series or something do this ages ago on PS2?

hmm i'll wait and see if the first part is great then i'll pick it up right now the hype for Final Fantasy is 15 

but if this Remake is great and does well then I want a Remake of Final Fantasy VI cause that is my favorite one 

On ‎06‎/‎12‎/‎2015 at 1:11 PM, Michael said:

How to ruin hype 101

Conveniently enough it goes hand in hand with

How to ruin a game 101

On April 6, 2016 at 9:01 PM, SilentWarrior25 said:

So I'm bringing this topic back up because there's new news regarding it. Unfortunately, each game will be treated as a full length game with the full retail price to boot. And we're expecting at least a trilogy, so if you want the full experience as soon as possible, you will have to fork out a minimum of $180. And they're going to treat the remake similar to the Final Fantasy XIII trilogy, where the prices I mentioned are the same. And from the sounds of it, it will be one game for every two years like FF 13 was, with the original in 2010, 13-2 in 2012, and Lightning Returns in 2014. I'm admittedly a little pissed about this. I would've been fine with this if it was actually episodic in the sense that $60 = all 3 (or more) games. What also sucks is they never said exactly how many games will be released, so it's entirely possible that the full experience won't be out for 10 years or so.

Where exactly is it said that each episode is full price? As far as I know they simply said the size of each episode was on par with a FFXIII part. Of coarse we don't really know what that means because file size varies greatly. Final fantasy 13 was 16gigs on 360 but 38 on PS3. Does that mean the PS3 version was two games? I'm really sick and tired people hating on this game out of ignorance after asking for it for years. Shows how ungrateful gamers are.

19 hours ago, TraditionalGames said:

Where exactly is it said that each episode is full price? As far as I know they simply said the size of each episode was on par with a FFXIII part. Of coarse we don't really know what that means because file size varies greatly. Final fantasy 13 was 16gigs on 360 but 38 on PS3. Does that mean the PS3 version was two games? I'm really sick and tired people hating on this game out of ignorance after asking for it for years. Shows how ungrateful gamers are.

I never caught the part where Yoshinori Kitase said they would be full price either. Maybe they arrived at that conclusion on their own, but I do think there's an implication that because they're the size of full games, we shouldn't expect them at 1/3 the price of a regular game. We didn't pay that little for the FFXIII trilogy, after all. I'm not sure if they're talking about game size strictly in the sense of how much disc storage it takes up, or the general amount of content and scale of the game environment. 

Being grateful for the original game doesn't mean gamers have to glom onto every future decision the devs make. One could argue that this isn't really the game gamers expected. It's an action RPG instead of turn-based, for one, which is already a substantial change. I don't hate that choice in and of itself, but I'm not going to mind if others voice their dislike. 

2 hours ago, KingBunghole said:

I never caught the part where Yoshinori Kitase said they would be full price either. Maybe they arrived at that conclusion on their own, but I do think there's an implication that because they're the size of full games, we shouldn't expect them at 1/3 the price of a regular game. We didn't pay that little for the FFXIII trilogy, after all. I'm not sure if they're talking about game size strictly in the sense of how much disc storage it takes up, or the general amount of content and scale of the game environment. 

Being grateful for the original game doesn't mean gamers have to glom onto every future decision the devs make. One could argue that this isn't really the game gamers expected. It's an action RPG instead of turn-based, for one, which is already a substantial change. I don't hate that choice in and of itself, but I'm not going to mind if others voice their dislike. 

But what size is a full game? We have games that are 10GB, 30GB, and 50GB. I can think of an example for each that have 100s of hours of content. But they're sold as a single full price game. The whole reason they're talking about file size is because the full game won't fit on a disc. That's why it's episodic in the first place.

13 minutes ago, TraditionalGames said:

But what size is a full game? We have games that are 10GB, 30GB, and 50GB. I can think of an example for each that have 100s of hours of content. But they're sold as a single full price game. The whole reason they're talking about file size is because the full game won't fit on a disc. That's why it's episodic in the first place.

Again, their point of reference is the FFXIII trilogy, so estimate the median of those three and you can maybe expect something around that scale. Games with that kind of budget and scale aren't going to be indie-priced. 

If it's truly a game with an epic scale, that fully deserves the price of three releases, then that will come into light once we get our hands on it. But the skepticism from gamers is understandable since games these days don't typically need that kind of space. 

Again we are talking about file size here which could mean anything. For all we know it really is a telltale like episode but the cutscenes are rendered in 4k. They never said anything about them being seperate games.

24 minutes ago, TraditionalGames said:

Again we are talking about file size here which could mean anything. For all we know it really is a telltale like episode but the cutscenes are rendered in 4k. They never said anything about them being seperate games.

Oi, really? You're going to entertain the possibility that cutscenes are taking up a disproportionately large amount of disc space? 

Dude, I don't want to argue with you, but it seems like you're being very defensive about this game for some reason. Let's just leave it at this: we'll judge the quality of the game when it arrives. Alright? 

2 hours ago, KingBunghole said:

Oi, really? You're going to entertain the possibility that cutscenes are taking up a disproportionately large amount of disc space? 

Dude, I don't want to argue with you, but it seems like you're being very defensive about this game for some reason. Let's just leave it at this: we'll judge the quality of the game when it arrives. Alright? 

That statement about the cutscenes was sarcasm. Of coarse it won't run in 4k. I was trying to explain that there's no way to know what being the file size of a FF13 game means. It could be a short game with lots of assests, a long game with not a lot of detail, or a mix.