The King of Hate Forums
MelekRox

The Editing Initiative

Hi Phil, longtime fan from the UK!

Just saw your recent updates on changes with the channel and I'm really excited for the future, but this latest Hate-Live video puzzles me because there's 30 minutes of just nothing before the video starts. I know you're trying to get the video up as soon as possible to the fans but as an editor my self I hope you're aware that this is going to be unacceptable when you start actually pumping out these new videos. Maybe I'm being a little nitpicky and I understand processing the video (pending on the hardware you use) may take time but simply cutting this last Hate-Live video you just uploaded would of reduced the upload time by 25% and would of been a lot cleaner. I understand you have timestamps in the description but to new subscribers who take a quick dip in your content are just gonna sit for maybe 10 secs and click off immediately. Sadly you gotta start pandering to people with very short attention spans...Just a couple a tips and keep pushing forward!

• Upvote 1

Reading the thread title I thought "finally! Someone decided to start an editing group made of fans so they can help Phil with the editing"

I was bitterly betrayed lol

Not that your advice is wrong but if someone started a proper editing group just to help Phil, that would be great. They could mame it the "DSP editing committee" , that sounds great lol

eh, I just use the timestamps and I'm good with that.

Good suggestion.

Edited by KGhaleon

1 hour ago, 13hr said:

Reading the thread title I thought "finally! Someone decided to start an editing group made of fans so they can help Phil with the editing"

I was bitterly betrayed lol

Not that your advice is wrong but if someone started a proper editing group just to help Phil, that would be great. They could mame it the "DSP editing committee" , that sounds great lol

Lol, Iwould love to help Phil out but I just don't have the time, the way he was talking he sounded like he was gonna do it all himself. If he needs help why doesn't he just get his friends from his earlier edited videos to help?

22 minutes ago, MelekRox said:

Lol, Iwould love to help Phil out but I just don't have the time, the way he was talking he sounded like he was gonna do it all himself. If he needs help why doesn't he just get his friends from his earlier edited videos to help?

They have lives too and he doesn't have the money to pay someone.

1 hour ago, Davey_J_Jr said:

Yeah, what exactly was "nothing", maybe gives some examples at least if you're going to insult him.

I don't know if it was intentional, but nice oxymoron there.

The nothingness may not be 30 minutes, but it is over 10 minutes, and then the pre-stream. Just uploading the stream probably saves a significant amount of time, and then it comes down to the risk/reward relationship. While one would think having dead air to start the video would deter viewers, I am not really sure if that is the case. Phil started this upload style in April, and views are actually the same if not better for the more recent podcasts that feature dead air at the start. While this POV is completely different than whether or not this method is professional or acceptable, I leave that up to the discretion of the uploader. Apparently, it is acceptable enough. Obviously, having the dead air cut would yield a 'better' video, that I will not argue. 

Unfortunately this thread is too little too late as, if all goes according to Phil's plans, there won't be a hate live anymore. I agree that he should edit dead air out of something like this though.

4 hours ago, Davey_J_Jr said:

Yeah, what exactly was "nothing", maybe gives some examples at least if you're going to insult him.

He means the part where Phil was just waiting for the viewers to come in before he started the prestream. And you have incredibly thin skin if that's insulting to you.

4 hours ago, AshishAshLamps007 said:

I wouldn't say "nothing" for 30 minutes. I actually liked the build up. And I really like the timestamps!!

You like everything Phil does so you're not the best judge of what the average YouTube user would like.

Wow.. i wasn't trying to insult Phil, I was just offering tips to help him produce better quality videos.

What I mean is, certain aspects should be left for the live viewer's enjoyment and the video. I will admit, i did not know there was any actual pre-video banter between 10:00 and 26:00, I'm a fan that sat for a minute and didn't know that, what are the new viewers going to do? Some of that magic he should leave for the stream and hard core fans to come and experience in the live show...the video is already hard to swallow being over two hours long.

3 hours ago, FWC said:

While one would think having dead air to start the video would deter viewers, I am not really sure if that is the case. Phil started this upload style in April, and views are actually the same if not better for the more recent podcasts that feature dead air at the start. While this POV is completely different than whether or not this method is professional or acceptable, I leave that up to the discretion of the uploader. Apparently, it is acceptable enough. Obviously, having the dead air cut would yield a 'better' video, that I will not argue. 

That's why i think its unacceptable. If the views have remained stagnant or only have marginally increased its not going to take him in the direction he wants to go. Acceptable enough is not going to be enough anymore if he wants to become a successful "talking head" of YouTube, he's going to have put major effort into these videos. Besides the editing hurdle, Phil is going to have to learn to get to the point and stop rambling, I can almost guarantee viewership analytics is going to dwindle in that last 30 minutes because of the topic and rambling (and the slight discrimination with the vandalism wasn't cool either by the way), it was almost hard for me to take and I love hearing real life events of DSP. He may need to stop doing these so impromptu and start writing out a script just to stay on points without drawing out the length of the videos with ramble, like I said before, he's gonna have to cater to a crowd with a short attention span if he wants to gain more views and subs.

Edited by MelekRox
  • Upvote 1

I don't think anybody's expecting some great editing for podcasts and other vlog style videos, but cutting out dead air/breaks is a bare minimum in this day and age I'm afraid. 

2 hours ago, AshishAshLamps007 said:

Timestamps

Some people just listen to the audio, so timestamps don't help them. I'm also willing to bet the majority of people watching the video-version also do something else at the same time, so having to skip over dead air constantly is something that will deter people from coming back.

Edited by CIA

4 minutes ago, CIA said:

Some people just listen to the audio, so timestamps don't help them. I'm also willing to bet the majority of people watching the video-version also do something else at the same time, so having to skip over dead air constantly is something that will deter people from coming back.

While editing I listen to podcast frequently such as Bill Burr, Brilliant Idiots, music related podcast and those programs can run past 2 hours easily. These podcast don't have timestamps and they don't need them cause the broadcaster keep you captivated through the entire thing that make you not want to miss anything. The moment you encourage the listener to skip around the video the less content you're risking to be unheard. Also I would encourage Phil to use a script with bullet points to get to topic to topic with the more desired content (Games, and Business Affairs) towards the middle and the end so it forces the listener to hear the beginning.

1 hour ago, hardcoreparkour said:

Timestamps are the way forward just get the fans timestamps for the old videod create best of archived footage.

Uh huh, just like switching back to a camera pointed at his TV is the way forward.

13 hours ago, Davey_J_Jr said:

chill man it's a harmless suggestion.

I assume Phil leaves the stream running for 30 minutes while waiting for people to arrive?

Sigh...another thread of something we tackled ages ago.

"Cut out the dead air, you lazy bum!" 

"It's just a stream archive so the show goes up as quickly as possible. Or else you'd have to wait hours for me to edit/encode/upload and then MORE hours for YouTube to encode it. Just to cut out the beginning 30 minutes, which you can click on a timestamp/skip ahead instantly to pass. So it's either get the show immediately, or wait 8+ hours just to edit out 30 minutes of startup you can easily skip yourself.....oh yeah, and I can't add timestamps until it goes live, which means you'd have to wait 12+ hours for THOSE to go on the video since I'd be asleep."

"YOU LAZY BUM! EXCUSES!!!"

I'm not saying that's what the original poster said, but that's the actual argument of 95% of people who complain about the dead air before hate live.

This isn't even logic anymore.

NOTE: This episode of Hate LIVE! IS going to show as having less views because I screwed up. Usually I stream the podcast in the OLD YouTube method which counts the live stream views; this time I forgot and used the new stream method, which separates those views completely. So I still get credit for them, but they won't show up on the video; traditionally it's around 2.5-3k "live stream views" that show up. Right now (Saturday) the podcast shows as having 6527 views, which if you add the "live views" that didn't count, means it's actually on par with a normal show's viewing history.

Anyway, no need for further discussion. Thread closed.

• Upvote 1