The King of Hate Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KGhaleon

Undertale tips guide

Undertale was an indie title that came out in September 2015 and was developed by Toby Fox who wrote and designed most of the game, aside from some additional art added by other folks like Temmie chang. The game takes place in the underground world of monsters where your human character must find a way to return home. It was extremely successful and sold half a million copies on steam this year alone. It scored 9s and 10s across metacritic and many game publications. The comedic dialogue is the strong point of the game and the reason why people were hyped to see Phil play this game since it fits his commentary style and draws inspiration from earthbound with its bizarre characters and settings. Phil had talked about potentially playing this game in January 2016 during the downtime, so I'm going to create a topic for people to drop suggestions.

-The game is primarily 8-bit and you move your character in 4 directions as if you're using a D-pad(controller is preferred). In Combat you move your player around and attempt to dodge enemy projectiles in bullet hell fashion. Battles are over when you kill the enemy or end it non-violently.

-The battle system in Undertale is different from earthbound and other games and more similar to SMT than anything. You can choose to attack and kill monsters like you would any RPG, or you can use the "ACT" function to initiate conversation with monsters. The rest of the commands are traditional actions like using items or running away, but there is a new one: Spare. Spare is tied into the ACT function.

1. Attacking and killing monsters will make you a murderer in this game and it will affect dialogue and how people treat you. Killing everything in the game will essentially get you a "Genocide" or "No mercy" ending to the game. The Genocide run is extremely brutal and difficult and best considered as an optional ending.

2. Using the ACT command in combat will allow you to talk with monsters. Through goofy and often hilarious dialogue with the monsters you may be able to persuade them out of fighting with you. When a monster is no longer willing to fight, you simply use the Spare command to remove them from combat. A monsters name will change to Yellow when they can be spared. By not killing a single monster the entire game it will affect dialogue and grant you the "Pacifist" ending. Pacifist is the true ending of the game and will get you the complete story.

3. If you kill some monsters during the course of the game but not all, you will only get the "Neutral" ending. As long as you aren't doing a Genocide run, you will always get the Neutral ending. The Pacifist ending starts after the Neutral ending and grants you access to an additional final dungeon and boss. If you want the most content out of your playthrough, a Pacifist ending is preferable.

-You will find items throughout your journey in the underground that will help keep you alive. Many of the items in the game have a secret purpose but I will only detail a few.

1. Your starting weapon in the game is a mere stick, but using it as an item in combat will automatically defeat most dog enemies. Of course doing this will also skip any hilarious dialogue you may have had with them, so it's only suggested if you've beaten the enemy before and simply don't care about fighting them again.

2. Spider food. You can find these fairly early in the game and using it on a certain boss toward the end game will automatically bring that battle to a close. Same with The Pie, another item you acquire fairly early on that will make a certain end game boss much easier to defeat if you held onto it.

3. Piece of a snowman, you will get this during your journey and it fully heals you when used. However if you hold onto it until the end of the game you may get some extra dialogue during the credits. You can go back for another piece if you used it accidentally.

Many items have an alternate purpose, including many weapons and armors and dialogue will change based on what you wear. It's often a good idea to store things you want to keep for later.

-Bisicles are the best healing item in the game and found in Snowdin, as they can be consumed twice and heal 11 HP. Later in the game they can fully heal you with the proper equipment.

-Temy armor(named after an artist) is the most defensive armor in the game and can be found in a secret village. However you have to grind for it and the price(10,000) goes down everytime you get a game over from dying in combat. Most people just die repeatedly until it costs less than a grand. This armor makes the game considerably easier.

-Dog residue is also one of the best items in the game for getting infinite healing items and money, but you will have to figure that out yourself when you come across it.

-When someone gives you a phone number in this game, you can often call them on just about every screen for extra dialogue. Twice.

I'll come back to this later. Everyone is free to add tips to this thread, but no spoilers.

Remember to stay determined.

dog.jpg

Edited by KGhaleon
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I really feel this is a game Phil should go into completely blind, without any tips. All you need to know is in the description that shows when you download the game: "the rpg where you don't have to kill anyone."

Edited by onorub

1 hour ago, onorub said:

I really feel this is a game Phil should go into completely blind, without any tips. All you need to know is in the description that shows when you download the game: "the rpg where you don't have to kill anyone."

Does Phil ever read the tips topics anyway? Feel free to drop suggestions regardless.

Yeah this is definitely a game where it'd be more entertaining to see Phil go through blind. I feel like it partially ruins the immersion factor going in, if you know exactly what to do on your first run. with some games it'd probably be better to know a bit going in (i.e the Souls series), but not in this case.

I haven't played this (yet), but from what literally everyone who has played it has said, because of the nature of this game, the less you know about the game the better. If you want Phil to enjoy the game to the max, you should delete the post.

Edited by CIA

This is just a TIPS topic, not a discussion about the playthrough. Can a mod clean this up?

Edited by KGhaleon

45 minutes ago, KGhaleon said:

This is just a TIPS topic, not a discussion about the playthrough. Can a mod clean this up?

Well, my tip is this then: Phil, ignore all guides and "tips" threads (including this one), and just play the game completely blind. This is how it will be experienced best, as even the game mechanics are melded into the story.

Edited by CIA

2 hours ago, KGhaleon said:

You should've sent this to me so I could've posted it in the correct section. I'll ask someone to move it.

Has Phil ever actually read any of the tips guides posted here? I'm willing to bet he doesn't and won't even see this, I suppose we'll see on monday when he starts the playthrough.

1 hour ago, KGhaleon said:

Has Phil ever actually read any of the tips guides posted here? I'm willing to bet he doesn't and won't even see this, I suppose we'll see on monday when he starts the playthrough.

I think he chooses not to in order to avoid potential spoilers.