The King of Hate Forums
Phil

Ask the King Ep. 58 - March 3, 2016

Please post up your questions for the next episode of Ask the King, tentatively scheduled for March 3, 2016, here in this thread! Thank you!

Hey Phil.

I would like to know what are your thoughts are the upcoming Star Wars spin-off films that are going to be released these next couple of years. This year in particular, the first one which is called Rogue One will be released in which focuses on a group of Rebel spies stealing the secret plans of the original Death Star and delivering them to Princess Leia. The second film will focus on an origins story of Han Solo while the third film will be focused on the story of Boba Fett. After watching you for several years, I've noticed that you dislike prequels by saying that you would rather continue on with the main storyline rather than going back to learn things that you either already know or don't need to know. I agree with you. I've also noticed that you've said that a series or franchise can start to lose its popularity with so much content, that people will start to become tired of it. My two questions are, do you think that another batch of Star Wars prequels can work, due to the fact that the prequel films we had recently were terrible? And do you think that having too much of one franchise can lead to the decrease in popularity for Star Wars.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Phil said:

Please post up your questions for the next episode of Ask the King, tentatively scheduled for March 3, 2016, here in this thread! Thank you!

This might be a personal question but how big of an influence does your Italian heritage have on your sense of identity? What I mean is, I'm sure it had an impact on your upbringing and shaped who you are as a person BUT is it something that really means a lot to you or is it something that you don't consider a big deal? 

I ask because I've lived in places with a lot of diversity and I noticed sometimes when people carry a lot of pride in their culture they end up clashing with different cultures that are equally proud. I know everybody has a right to celebrate their heritage but I feel that when a person puts too much stock in it, it will always lead to conflict. At the same time it doesn't feel right to tell a person they shouldn't be proud, especially when the people who take the most pride in their culture tend to be the people struggling in life. People who need something to believe in, and whose sense of being a part of something much greater might be the only thing getting them through the day.

Hey Phil,

I don't know if you want to talk about your personal life or not but if you do: are you gonna pop "the question" to Leanna anytime soon or in the near future? And if so would you vlog it; like hide the camera or something like that? Thank you for answering!

• Upvote 1

Hey Phil

With TMNT: Mutants in Manhattan coming out from PlatinumGames and you being a fan of classic cartoons and with them doing the Transformers gen 1 so well with Devastation. What other classic cartoons you grew up with would you like PlatinumGames to do next in the same vain?

• Upvote 3

Hey, Philip. Since you love both Dead space and Resident Evil, in your mindset which game has the better plot, characters, action/horror, and if you had to choose between two enemies to fight in one of these choices with just your wits, and bare hands what would you pick? 

• Upvote 2

Hey Phil,

Recently you successful played anime based fighting games such as Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm and Dragonball Z Xenoverse. This June a fighting game based on the anime/manga series One Piece will be released called One Piece: Burning Blood. Would you consider continuing branching out with anime fighting games by playing this game? I loved your playthrough of One Piece: Pirate Warriors a few years back. 

Thanks.  

• Upvote 1

On January 28, 2016 at 2:51 PM, Phil said:

Hey Phil, over the years, I've know that you've been through adversity like being ddosed, swatted, getting false copyright strikes, knowing that there's been negatively about you on the Internet, etc. It seems like you have some thick skin and that you overcome it and you are still moving forward. I want to know how you overcome this negatively on the daily basis. Thanks.

• Upvote 1

I noticed in your KOGaming videos you introduce yourself as "Phil here on behalf of KOGaming" which to me creates the idea that the channel is simply a platform for your conent rather than an alter ego. But this can also lend itself to collaborations where the channel is a platform for content and series from other people (Like the creatures for example) Is this something you're considering?

• Upvote 2

Hi Phil, 

Part of the process of becoming an adult is leaving the nest and living on your own. 

I realize you have lived outside of your parent's home for a number of years, but do you miss them more now that you have moved across the country?

I myself am living abroad for school away from my family and I find it hard sometimes as I miss them and get home sick.

How do you cope?

Thanks,

Ray

Edited by Ray117
  • Upvote 1

Hey Phil

So in most of your movie related videos/tweets you complain a lot about the use of CGI, which you mentioned briefly in your Deadpool reaction video, so I want to know what would you say is the best use/balance of CGI in movies. Thanks and keep up the good work 

Edited by iamkurla249

Hey Phil,

With Street Fighter on the rise could you explain what happened to your once dedicated channel to fighting games, DSPStreetFighter? Why was it never partnered through Machinima and why did you have to abandon it?

Thanks!

WowDude

• Upvote 1

Do you believe that the overall gamer support for Splatoon (by people adding it in GOTY countdowns and such) ended up being an incentive for Capcom to release a barebones version of Street Fighter V to be completed over the course of months?

Edited by onorub

Sup, Phil! I just wanted to ask what's up with The Best and Worst of Alan Wake, you did one video on it, and then didn't make any more montages of old playthroughs, or really even talked about it? I know you have KO Gaming now, so maybe you'll consider continuing those?

Edited by KodyKarls
  • Upvote 1

Hi Phil.

I was wondering what caused your change of heart regarding cliffhanger endings in episodic games. Specifically with the ending of Telltale's Game of Thrones game. Back in '12, in your Hateful Truth review of The Walking Dead, in response to the announcement of season 2, you said you were fine with a cliffhanger ending so long as you knew more was coming. 

Fast forward to 2015, in the last episode of your Game of Thrones playthrough, you went on a full blown rant against Telltale, saying that they were tricking customers who bought a full season expecting a definitive ending with resolution into buying season 2. In fact you specifically mentioned the use of depressing themes as a way Telltale were manipulating people who were invested in the characters and story to buy a second season, even though The Walking Dead's ending was even more depressing and negative, which you gave a glowing review, with a 9 out of 10 score.

I'm not trying to criticise you or anything, in fact I think it's perfectly reasonable to have a different opinion after three years, I'm just curious as to what could have caused such a drastic change of heart.

• Upvote 1

Hi Phil.

I've got a question about you and Pokemon. Whenever it seems to come up, you seem to be quite negative about it, to the extent of calling the Ruby & Sapphire remakes for the 3DS "Pokemon: Same Fucking Game". From what you've said about the originals, you seemed to enjoy them or at least thought they were okay, and after watching your playthrough of Omega Ruby, you seemed to enjoy that game as well. So I have to ask: why are you so negative about the series? Is it because you think it's just the same game over and over and over? It looks like you may think it's just the same game repackaged every time, like most Call of Duty games, but calling every Pokemon game the same is the equivalent of calling every new edition of Street Fighter, "Street Fighter: Same Fucking Game". Much like every new Street Fighter game, every new Pokemon game tends to shift up the competitive scene, sometimes even completely changing the meta. Sorry if I sounded rude or if that was a bit to long winded, but I'm honestly curious. 

Also, although I'm pretty sure I already know the answer, if there's any excessive down time this year, would you consider playing one of the original Pokemon games that will be re-released for Pokemon's 20th Anniversary in February? I think it'd be interesting to see how much you remember of the games, and see you relive these older games that don't hold the player's hand like the newer ones. 

Thanks in advance. 

Hello, DSP

I know I'm new around here - VERY new - but I need to ask this:

With regards to Far Cry Primal, do you feel that some game series (such as Far Cry and Assassins Creed) have become stagnant? Primal, as you've said so yourself, seems to be just more of the same. And Ubisoft seems one of the most guilty of repetition in their games (if that makes sense)

What are your thoughts regarding this? Sorry if this seems confusing, but it's my first question. :D

Hi dsp, 

I was wondering if you would play any of the turok games preferably the first two because the first one got released on pc and it might be a good playthrough for you to do, sorry if I keep spamming this I just want to see how you'll like the game.

thanks

Hey Phil I got a good question for you.

On June 28 2016 there is a game coming out and it called Lego star wars the force awakens it might be a good game to co-op with Leanna on weekends just let you know.

thank you

tmp1114

Hey Philip! Heard you mentioned Ju On and the Ring movies in your videos in the past. I was stunned that you know ''The Grudge'' by it's original Japanese name. My question is What is your favorite Japanese horror movie and why?

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, FinalLight said:

Hey Philip! Heard you mentioned Ju On and the Ring movies in your videos in the past. I was stunned that you know ''The Grudge'' by it's original Japanese name. My question is What is your favorite Japanese horror movie and why?

Good question - glad people are still thinking of varied ones to ask. :D

• Upvote 1

I know you said how you never had any interest in doing an MMO playthrough for DSPgaming due to how long and drawn out, but i'm curious about if you were into any MMOs before you started YouTube.

I'm pretty sure I vaguely remember you saying you played a popular MMO back in the day (everquest or EVE online I think).

I ask because the 2000s were basically the golden years for the MMO genre. Runescape and WoW were at their peak, as well as FFXI and EVE Online.

Just wondering if you played any of those for any extended amount of time.

Thanks!

Hey Phil, this isn't exactly a question but more a statement of my opinion. I recently saw you tweet out that you weren't watching game of thrones anymore because your girlfriend doesn't like it. I have heard you say before that you are a big fan of the series, having read the first four books and watched some of the show. I think you are making a big mistake by not continuing to watch it as it is undoubtedly turning out to be one of the greatest series in tv history and it would be a shame if you missed out on it

Sup Phil? Random Ron here. I'm actually doing a panel on this and I'd like your input.

Something I'm noticing in the video game industry is many people are losing faith in the AAA companies. A lot of these big companies have been putting out games that not only are glitchy on release day, but lack enough to warrant its $60 price tag when released and it's becoming more of a trend. (ala games like Destiny, Star Wars Battlefront EA, and, most recently, Street Fighter V) On top of that, a lot of them are are trying to sell more through games that with microtransactions & season passes and the business part of the company is ruining the game development side of it.

On the other side, you have the indie game side of it becoming more relevant. Even though the games don't have as big production values as the AAA, a lot of them have been giving content to warrant their price tags at launch and I feel like some of the indie games of this generation are actually better than the AAA games of this generation. On top of that, some of them handle DLC right where DLC is an added feature rather than the core game, like Helldivers & Rocket League, where not only do the games sell you optional weapons or customizables that are not necessary to have a good time with the core game, but they also give you new modes as free updates.

Overall Question: Do you think there is a chance for the indie game market to overtake the AAA market?

Follow-up Question: Since Konami is basically dead at this point, which company do you feel would be the next to die?

• Upvote 1

Hey Phil,

Why are there so many detractors trying to ruin your business? Is there any way to help you with dealing with them? How do we spread the word that 2016 is becoming a great year for DP Gaming? How can we support you without Patreon? I only have so much disposable income. If you answer this, thanks!

• Upvote 1