The King of Hate Forums
Phil

Ask the King Ep. 58 - March 3, 2016

Hey Phil,

Of all the video games you have ever played, which video game character do you like to relate to the most? Was this a video game character you grew up with and what was it about the character that made you enjoy him/her so much?

Greetings Phil,

long time watcher, first time caller. Glad you could pull off your start with KOGaming, I wish you luck with that!

So, Phil! There are a lot of people who don't seem to recognize what impact you've had on "Let's Play" in general, since you've been around the block than most of them all, on youtube that is. Personally I believe, that people like markiplier or pewdiepie were indeed inspired by your work, even though they will never admit. It's kind of hilarious, how they all know you by name, mention you here in there in their podcasts (nothing too huge although). So my question, finally - why do you think people took to these "copycats" instead of staying with the real deal? 

Stay cool.

P.S: Do you have a lot of girls watching your gameplay? 

• Upvote 1

Sup phil

Have you ever been jumped, attacked or got into a fight in public back in Connecticut?  I've heard how dangerous and ghetto some parts are around there and ur Christmas edition back in the day segment where u got ur christmas decor stolen made me wonder if u were ever part of any type of encounter such as a robbery.

Keep up the work, peace.

Allex

Hey Phil, i've been a huge fan of your's since your Heavy Rain playthrough in 2010, i've seen you get tons & tons of hate, i just want to say that all of us are here to support you, and all of us love watching your content, with that being said, i was wondering if you'll be doing a playthrough of Heavy Rain Playstation 4 edition, like i said i really loved your PS3 playthrough, i feel like you missed on a load of choices & endings in Heavy Rain, and now that you can direct capture, it would make a playthrough even better, the game comes out in a few days, & i really hope you playthrough Heavy Rain PS4 and i hope you have an awesome day, remember fight through the hate, keep up the awesome work.

Thanks Phil

• Upvote 1

Hey Phil,

Since you're a big wrestling fan, I was wondering what your thoughts are about Shane McMahon vs. The Undertaker at Wrestlemania. And since the stipulation is if Shane wins the match, he takes control of Monday Night Raw. So do you believe that he'll be able to win the match? If so, do you think that Shane will do a good job trying to make Monday Nigh Raw (or WWE in general) a great show to watch again?

My question is in regards to esports at large. the short of it is do you feel esports should be trying to emulate traditional sport's professionalism, or should it carve it's own path, being more focused on casual viewing, humor, ect.

I ask because of recent happenings at a "Major" both the name and scale of a Dota 2 event. The Host that was hired, was James "2GD" Harding, and he a non-PC, more laid back host, previously he hosted 2 huge tournaments for them without major issues, he was fired by valve at this event, and he was refereed to as "an ass" by gabe newell himself on Reddit. This was only after a day of hosting the tournament, He was told to be himself, and after an incident ignoring the production staff, he was fired. The tournament had a lot of issues with audio quality and matches being paused for hours, so he was filling time rather than going to just a song loop and blank screen, and many people were naturally angry when he was unjustly fired.

So then the internet exploded, and we come to the question, valve seems to want esports to be super professional and all that, but 2GD and many others seem to not want that, so that esports stays it's own semi-professional thing, and traditional sports stays it's own thing, so in what direction do you think esports as a whole should be heading to? I doubt it'll ever be taken seriously by a mainstream audience in the near future anyways.

Side Note, the winning team for last year's big event got 5 million dollars(10+ million prize pool), this tournament gives the winning team a mere 1 million(3 million prize pool).

Info:
http://www.gamersnexus.net/industry/2329-gabe-newell-calls-caster-an-ass

James "2GD" for some context

5 hours ago, Sevastopolina said:

Greetings Phil,

long time watcher, first time caller. Glad you could pull off your start with KOGaming, I wish you luck with that!

So, Phil! There are a lot of people who don't seem to recognize what impact you've had on "Let's Play" in general, since you've been around the block than most of them all, on youtube that is. Personally I believe, that people like markiplier or pewdiepie were indeed inspired by your work, even though they will never admit. It's kind of hilarious, how they all know you by name, mention you here in there in their podcasts (nothing too huge although). So my question, finally - why do you think people took to these "copycats" instead of staying with the real deal? 

Stay cool.

P.S: Do you have a lot of girls watching your gameplay? 

Jesus....

Hey DSP big fan of yours just to let you know Square Enix has announced that the Hitman PS4 beta will be available for all Playstation Plus members on March 4th, I was wondering if you were thinking about playing it?

Kind Regards
Ben

If could choose and buy a new camera for your vlogs today, what would it be and what would it most add to how you like your videos to be, compared to your current camera?

One version semi-realistic (pricewise)

One "I-got-USD 20.000-burning-a-hole-in-my-pocket" version

Hey Phil.

Given the recent release of Plants VS Zombies GW2, a surprisingly feature heavy and content packed game, do you think more about what other games have to offer at a full retail price? It's seemingly rare to find a game nowadays that launches in a fully functioning state, with lots of modes, gameplay variety and no microtransactions or season pass being pushed on you at launch.

I know the quality of the game's content is more important than the sheer amount of it but it's extremely frustrating to see so many games released in barely functioning states, with entire game modes, character skins and even *difficulty settings* not being available and sometimes locked behind a DLC pay-wall. These are the kind of tactics that should only be tolerated in Free to Play games, not ones that are asking the same price as a game like PvZ GW2 or any other game that just gives you a full game for a full price.

Wanted to know your thoughts on the matter, keep up the good work.

hey phil. i know when you stopped playing the bloodborne DLC it was a big contoversy. however, i really like your souls game playthroughs because to me it shows that while the games can be frustrating you ultimately get that elation when you get past that hard part or beat that difficult boss. i recently played the DLC on NG+ difficulty. Eventually I beat it but it was EXTREMELY tough. much tougher than the main game on NG+ difficulty. Basically what im wondering is, maybe sometime this summer or during a downtime would you ever consider making a new character and trying to go through the DLC again? ive seen alot of people saying its much easier on regular NG and you could even summon for some of the bosses although theres only 1 or 2 really hard ones. 

i know you rarely ever replay games but i think alot of us love your souls playthroughs 

i think you would really like the DLC because they added in a ton of weapons, armor and it has one of, if not the best bosses in the whole game in my opinion. also theres a whole new covenant based on co-op play. 

Hope you at least consider it!

Edited by Mermdaddy

hey Phil

with the recent news on Sony discontinuing the PlayStation TV in Japan what do you thiink the future of the Vita will bring? and would you ever purchase a PSTV for Vita game pplaythroughs? thanks

Hey Phil Here my question Do you think the new modern of video games style has changed over the year far cry primal forcing the player doing animal hunting and crafting quest just to get the true ending also now games in this area seen to focus only online of all the time no more story progression I would like to hear it for your self thanks!

Hey Phil!

I just placed my Pledge of $50.00 a month (for as long as I can). I suppose you'll get it starting next month based on the email. Happy to support you, been with you since freshman year of High School and at 21 finally have some money to give you for the days of entertainment I've gotten. My question is this: How have you gone about losing so much weight the past few years? I see the fast food on DSP Tries It, and I Couldn't imagine being able to lose weight eating those things. I am a big guy myself who is trying to lose weight, and I'd value your advice, as I've noticed your progress in your videos.

Edited by biopticstream
  • Upvote 1

I saw you play mortal kombat X and they reused the same modes but the online play's net code was struggling to keep up the first time and I saw the street fighter v playthrough and it was struggling with the servers but turned out great and as of right now it has a little amount of modes. Do you think Tekken 7: Fated Retribution or whatever it will be called in the end will surpass both of them when they actually release it on ps4

Hey Phil 

I'm going to be moving from one side of the United States to another, probably around  summer time. Do you have any tips or recommendations for packing up and moving? The biggest question I have is the moving company,  how did you decide which one was best to use? It will be very much appreciated if you can answer these questions for me since you've been through this process already. 

• Upvote 1

On 2/24/2016 at 7:24 PM, ManWithThePlan2616 said:

Hello, DSP

I know I'm new around here - VERY new - but I need to ask this:

With regards to Far Cry Primal, do you feel that some game series (such as Far Cry and Assassins Creed) have become stagnant? Primal, as you've said so yourself, seems to be just more of the same. And Ubisoft seems one of the most guilty of repetition in their games (if that makes sense)

What are your thoughts regarding this? Sorry if this seems confusing, but it's my first question. :D

This is my question from my back up account - sorry for the confusion.

It's been that kind of week for me lol.

Hey Phil, been wanting to ask this question for a LONG time!

I know in the past Leanna has mentioned that she came from a rich soccer family and likes the game a lot. I also know in your FIFA 15 playthrough that you used the Seattle Sounders and weren't quite aware of them. Are you aware that they play at Centurylink Field the home of the Seattle Seahawks and sometimes outsell the Seahawks? The Seattle Sounders are a HUGE deal in your area, and since Major League Soccer is still growing in the United States, tickets are still pretty cheap. With that being said, have you ever thought of taking Leanna for a day out to a Sounders match? I think she would really enjoy it, and YOU would be very surprised. There's no atmosphere like a soccer atmosphere. Also, you could bring your vlog camera and this would make for very interesting vlog coverage! Thanks for your time! 

Here is their schedule in case you decide to take me up on my idea :) http://www.soundersfc.com/schedule

As a 30+ year old gamer I bet you've seen the video game industry change and evolve a lot in your lifetime. You've mentioned in the past how certain companies like Capcom have changed a lot but what would you say are the biggest differences between gaming in the modern era compared to gaming back in the day? Also, when do you think the "Golden Age" of gaming was (or are we in the Golden Age right now)?

I think you have plenty of younger fans that might not understand how things were like and would be interested in hearing your perspective.

Edited by Pochomex
  • Upvote 1

Hey Phil, love your new reacting series and was wondering, would you ever do a live reaction to a video like Batman V Superman trailer? Like the one you did but with the video playing at the same time you see it.  Watching your videos live with you is like watching something with a friend and think it would make a great addition to your new Phil Reacts series!

Edited by Samus
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Samus said:

Hey Phil, love your new reacting series and was wondering, would you ever do a live reaction to a video like Batman V Superman trailer?  Watching your videos live with you is like watching something with a friend and think it would make a great addition to your new Phil Reacts series!

He has done, Samus. To the final trailer. 

maybe I did not make myself clear.  make a live reaction to a video with the video playing at the same time and him reacting like some others I have seen do.  I used BvS as an example like I said I have seen all of his reactions.

Hi Phil,

In the past you've mentioned being a fan of certain anime shows. I was wondering if you have any favourite characters? Do you have a waifu? Have you ever cosplayed as an anime character?

• Upvote 1