The King of Hate Forums
DephrameDimension

Why is DSP hated in the YouTube Community? AlphaOmegaSin Namedrops DSP

Been watching a couple of reaction videos of Street Fighter V and ran across this AlphaOmegaSin talk mention DSP in his Rage Quiting and Match Losing Excuses segment at 3:32 - 4:00 mark

This isn't the only video I found either that specifically mentions DSP. Why is he hated or made fun of in the Street Fighter community so much? I know he's a little bit of what we call a "John", but that shouldn't be the source of the overwhelming hate people have for him.

I didn't watch the video, but many people have already discussed why the don't like DSP. I will try to recall some of the things. I am a fan of DSP so this is not like me taking a jab at him. I am sure you are just curious. 

• Doesn't edit
  • Lazy 
  • Complains all the time
  • Doesn't take criticism
  • Overreacts to little things
  • Hurts people's feelings when he talks about why he doesn't like
  • He is stupid 
  • Doesn't complement the other players
  • Blames lag and not himself

I like DSP, but allegedly that is why some people don't like him. Hope that helped because I'm under the impression that you are sincerely lost why people don't like him. 

That stuff doesn't bother me because there is a whole world of adult problems I have to worry about. I don't have the "dedication" to constantly follow / watch and talk shit about people if I don't like them.

Edited by GuessWhat
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GuessWhat said:

I didn't watch the video, but many people have already discussed why the don't like DSP. I will try to recall some of the things. I am a fan of DSP so this is not like me taking a jab at him. I am sure you are just curious. 

• Doesn't edit
  • Lazy 
  • Complains all the time
  • Doesn't take criticism
  • Overreacts to little things
  • Hurts people's feelings when he talks about why he doesn't like
  • He is stupid 
  • Doesn't complement the other players
  • Blames lag and not himself

I like DSP, but allegedly that is why some people don't like him. Hope that helped because I'm under the impression that you are sincerely lost why people don't like him. 

That stuff doesn't bother me because there is a whole world of adult problems I have to worry about. I don't have the "dedication" to constantly follow / watch and talking shit about if I don't like them.

Ah, got you. I specifically agree with your last two sentences. I don't take random people to seriously, we are all hated by one person or another...But when someone major or "superior" (based purely on subscription numbers) in your work field has something negative to say, people usually take notice more.

Edit: I just checked my YouTube, as  a new subscriber I got use to the regular videos filling up my YouTube. Why upload so many 3 minute videos....

Edited by DephrameDimension

It's become a meme to hate on Phil. He used to be considered a kind of crusader for the common gamer back in the day when he rallied people against those SOPA/PIPA bills on congress and called out mainstream game journalism for shoddy journalism for things like Duke Nukem Forever. Trying his best to be a genuine down to earth gamer that tells it like it is even when the truth was ugly or hateful.

Phil was known for being an opinionated and unapologetic person yet sometime around his Metal Gear Solid and Black Mesa playthroughs that same attitude that used to be celebrated was now under attack. I recall the barbs he slung against Kojima combined with the "bugged jumping mechanic" comment in Black Mesa being the catalyst to the public shift in opinion. He went from the "authentic and passionate funny dude" to "rude stubborn buffoon" practically overnight. In all these years he still hasn't really been able to shake that negative image and by now it might be too late anyway. A lot of people who know him nowadays learned about him from a hater video before seeing his own actual content. That includes big name youtubers like AlphaOmegaSin, TotalBiscuit, Spoony, and even AngryJoe. I don't know how Phil feels about networking but it might be worth it to try reaching out to other youtubers and try to keep friendly relations with them. Even this AlphaOmega guy. No need to get confrontational about it but just educate him, let him know you never rage quit and that you hate rage quitters. Invite him to watch some of your videos even so you can prove him wrong. Otherwise chances are this viral internet meme where it's become trendy to shit all over DSP might never go away.

I blame 4chan for all of this tbh.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Pochomex said:

That includes big name youtubers like AlphaOmegaSin, TotalBiscuit, Spoony, and even AngryJoe.

Total fucking biscuit? How do you piss off someone suffering from cancer... Ok so now its making sense why DSP's haters are so prevalent, these guys can just name drop and sway millions of opinions, and I'm not even exaggerating when I say millions. But it must take something real disturbing to piss off a guy unfortunately suffering from cancer, and for the sake of my viewership and subscription, I prefer to just stay in the dark about the details on why these Youtubers got upset.

So far the only thing that DSP pissed me off so far is uploading 30-40 of these 2-3 minute SFV videos and spammed my feed. But that I'm just going to unsubscribe for this week.

42 minutes ago, DephrameDimension said:

Total fucking biscuit? How do you piss off someone suffering from cancer... Ok so now its making sense why DSP's haters are so prevalent, these guys can just name drop and sway millions of opinions, and I'm not even exaggerating when I say millions. But it must take something real disturbing to piss off a guy unfortunately suffering from cancer, and for the sake of my viewership and subscription, I prefer to just stay in the dark about the details on why these Youtubers got upset.

So far the only thing that DSP pissed me off so far is uploading 30-40 of these 2-3 minute SFV videos and spammed my feed. But that I'm just going to unsubscribe for this week.

Tbf, it was before TotalBiscuit made the cancer announcement when he was mad at Phil. And honestly, it's just general things and nothing specific that upset others, nothing disturbing of any kind.

5 hours ago, Pochomex said:

I recall the barbs he slung against Kojima combined with the "bugged jumping mechanic" comment in Black Mesa being the catalyst to the public shift in opinion. He went from the "authentic and passionate funny dude" to "rude stubborn buffoon" practically overnight.

I don't understand why people got upset over the bugged jumping mechanic thing. It is really funny in my opinion. It kind of reminds me of arrested development. Or something with this awkward moments that is just too funny.  "was this what half life was like back in the days, platforming  on fucking barrels the whole time. was this the game? " and later "you could do  a couch jump but it is  low and doesn't really work."  Intentional or not. That is comedy gold. How can you hate phil for something that is this funny? 

Edited by BrightSideViking
the words wrong order was.

15 minutes ago, BrightSideViking said:

I don't understand why people got upset over the bugged jumping mechanic thing. It is really funny in my opinion. It kind of reminds me of arrested development. Or something with this awkward moments that is just too funny.  "was this what half life was like back in the days, platforming  on fucking barrels the whole time. was this the game? " and later "you could do  a couch jump but it is  low and doesn't really work."  Intentional or not. That is comedy gold. How you can hate phil for something that is this funny? 

I just the video you are talking about, all i typed was DSP Crouch Jump and several videos came up..... 25 minutes of being stuck is not intentional lol.

But I wonder if DSP is worried about this type of thing spiraling out of control. Cause ProJared (700K subs) and AlphaOmegaSin (500K subs) could just make a single negative video and it could be fatal for his YouTube career, I don't think ranting like that is too healthy. Also what makes this even more interesting is Youtubers go through a lot of nonstop bombarded hate just for being in the public eye. Why would these Youtubers understand all the bullshit Youtubers go through when it comes to being hated or complaints, wish that on another Youtuber unless theres  valid reasons or they just legitimately hate Phil.

AlphaOmegaSin is a fine one to hate on Phil, his vlogs are always "f*ck f*ck f*ck gaming Nintendo f*ck the game on motherf*ckers, I'm so f*cking metal!". Come out of the closet for a start and make some serious vlogs without that clearly fake persona. 

Edited by Davey_J_Jr
  • Upvote 3

He came up in the official thread for Street Fighter V on NeoGAF too. He ended up playing one of the members there in one of his matches yesterday and they linked to the video of it (they were the Rashid who finally beat his Gief). Surprisingly apart from a few "Blaming the game for moves not coming out? He hasn't changed at all" comments the reaction was quite subdued. Once upon a time if you mentioned DSP on GAF, especially in a Street Fighter thread, the bashing would go on for pages. A lot of people over there actually came back around on his side or at least toned down their negativity towards him after the SWATing incident.

Regardless, I still think it's absolutely ridiculous that the FGC still hold so much ill will against him when he's been out of it for so long now. Move on people!

• Upvote 5

35 minutes ago, Static Veins said:

He came up in the official thread for Street Fighter V on NeoGAF too. He ended up playing one of the members there in one of his matches yesterday and they linked to the video of it (they were the Rashid who finally beat his Gief). Surprisingly apart from a few "Blaming the game for moves not coming out? He hasn't changed at all" comments the reaction was quite subdued. Once upon a time if you mentioned DSP on GAF, especially in a Street Fighter thread, the bashing would go on for pages. A lot of people over there actually came back around on his side or at least toned down their negativity towards him after the SWATing incident.

Regardless, I still think it's absolutely ridiculous that the FGC still hold so much ill will against him when he's been out of it for so long now. Move on people!

I did a little bit more research into the NeoGaf post (cause I'm bored and pathetic in the mornings), and a user named Shadow_Lord posted this video:

I saw the comments you were talking about, and of course people are still going to have a bad taste in their mouths from previous engagements from DSP, but with this example, they may just pity DSP from all the bullshit he went through last year -or- cause this is actually a pretty good match with little complaining from DSP so there isn't really shit they can say. This is the DSP I like to watch, but unfortunately there's far more examples of him being a "John" than there are him being like the video above.

I think every time they mention his name, its a good thing.

Even if its just to paint him in a negative light some people will be curious and visit his channel and some will come back at a later datedate for more, they ll probably become regular viewers.

If I was Phil I d just want my name mentioned everywhere even in a negative light. A view is a view no matter who gives it.

7 minutes ago, 13hr said:

I think every time they mention his name, its a good thing.

Even if its just to paint him in a negative light some people will be curious and visit his channel and some will come back at a later datedate for more, they ll probably become regular viewers.

If I was Phil I d just want my name mentioned everywhere even in a negative light. A view is a view no matter who gives it.

Very true, no such thing as bad press i guess.

The FGC just has a habit of not forgiving or forgetting. It's not surprising, at least for me. I think he's a decent Street Fighter player-not the best but he has good fundamentals. If someone could string together combos and basic setups as easily as he does, then you can't sit there and tell me that he sucks. 

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, Davey_J_Jr said:

AlphaOmegaSin is a fine one to hate on Phil, his vlogs are always "f*ck f*ck f*ck gaming Nintendo f*ck the game on motherf*ckers, I'm so f*cking metal!". Come out of the closet for a start and make some serious vlogs without that clearly fake persona. 

By just looking at AOS' thumbnails, he seems to be upset in almost every thumbnail.  He also uses his persona to pander to GamerGaters by having rants about how feminists and SJWs are ruining gaming.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Davey_J_Jr said:

This is probably one of the only times I'm ever going to upvote one of your posts. I HATE AOS's content with a burning passion. How can anyone think that such a cringe-inducing persona is appealing?

• Upvote 4

I like ProJared even if he does not like DSP. He makes good videos and content. Alpha Omega sin is just the typical angry gamer who just makes videos talking to a camera.

1 hour ago, Hazz3r said:

This is probably one of the only times I'm ever going to upvote one of your posts. I HATE AOS's content with a burning passion. How can anyone think that such a cringe-inducing persona is appealing?

He appeals to the angry/mad people like GG and Anti-DSP community. They love that kinda thing so its not a real surprise he has an audience. 

Edited by cooper

I don't care for Alpha's content, but I like him as a person. I've seen him a bunch of times on a youtube show called Gamechasers and he does a podcast with Johnny from Happy Console Gamer and he comes across as genuine and good people. I don't know what made him make that comment, but the reaction to it seems out of proportion.

Not sure if this counts as "derailment" but i am getting from the comments here that everyone also hates Mundanematt/AngryJoe-esque youtubers that rant?
I've watched a couple of AOS' videos and honestly i don't quite see what he does as 

2 hours ago, MasterOfAwesomeness said:

uses his persona to pander to GamerGaters by having rants about how feminists and SJWs are ruining gaming.

Especially how looking at Anita and Zoe Quinn and the fact that he dislikes them it's easy to say that "Pander" isn't the right word seeing as, and let's be honest, they're awful.

Street Fighter Community? Alpha Omega Sin and Projared do not play Street Fighter... at least not competitive. He is hated by a lot of YouTubers and the FGC (Fighting Game community) though. 

Edited by Star