The King of Hate Forums

Phil needs to make a video about the new movement happening on youtube.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Haven't I already talked about this issue, ad nauseum, until I was blue in the face? Whether it was 2009 when Rockstar SUPPOSEDLY struck me for my GTA4: The Lost and Damned playthrough... ..

1st off: Yes, YouTube has MILLIONS of videos uploaded daily, but there are not MILLIONS of copyright strikes/claims issued daily. Saying "it's impossible to have a human review these" is factually inc

You COMPLETELY missed my point. YouTube is guilty of doing the absolute MINIMUM per the requirements of DMCA law. If they actually cared about their business, their uploaders and the law, they'd

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Nation said:

Damn if that's true.
Back when SOPA was a thing i knew several big youtubers that were constantly fighting against SOPA and i'd never even heard of DSP at that point. No one mentioning him in regards to the movement or anything.

I know, I have to agree, Although it is possible I saw his video without maybe thinking that it was him. Because i really didn't have any relation to DSP at the time, and just can't make the connection today 

On 2/22/2016 at 7:27 PM, Phil said:

Whatever. Forgive me for being sour, but nobody so much as lifted a finger when it came to my problems for 8+ years; now because Doug Walker and Boogie say something, something will change? Too little, FAR too late IMO.

Welp, glad you changed your mind and made the video. Only thing about Suing Youtube, I don't think if all the big Youtubers combined have even a fraction of enough money to make a case. Youtube would just drain them in court cost till they ran out of money. 

8 hours ago, UnoLavoz said:

Welp, glad you changed your mind and made the video. Only thing about Suing Youtube, I don't think if all the big Youtubers combined have even a fraction of enough money to make a case. Youtube would just drain them in court cost till they ran out of money. 

The Electronic Frontier Foundation sued a music label on behalf of an uploader when they took down a 30 second video showing a baby dancing to one of their songs. If all the big youtubers asked people to donate to EFF at the same time they could take the case. All I ask is that youtube has their lawyers punish people that obviously make false copyright claims because technically it is fraud.

5 hours ago, Tahdel said:

The Electronic Frontier Foundation sued a music label on behalf of an uploader when they took down a 30 second video showing a baby dancing to one of their songs. If all the big youtubers asked people to donate to EFF at the same time they could take the case. All I ask is that youtube has their lawyers punish people that obviously make false copyright claims because technically it is fraud.

Oh ok so the little man does have a big brother to take care of things! Thats great, guess with the willpower there's venues to do so.

All right, Phil's video for #WFTU is good but I feel it attacks YouTube a bit unfairly. Yes, they're too quick and too vicious with their takedowns, but it's an automated system. And Phil failed to mention that under the DMCA YouTube is required to have this system in place or they are held liable for every claim made on every video on the site. Just, before picks up their torches and pitchforks and goes after YouTube do a little research into Copyright Law. I can tell you Phil doesn't fully understand how it works. Here, this video does a good job of explaining why YouTube can't just flip a switch and stop taking videos down.

Again, Phil isn't entirely wrong. He just has a negative view of YouTube and it causes him to place all the blame on them. YouTube is not entirely at fault. They can't change their system until copyright law itself changes.

18 minutes ago, KGhaleon said:

Youtube isn't going to lift a finger, they only want to protect themselves and nobody on youtube is going to change that.

That is the exact wrong attitude to have. Do you have any idea how quickly YouTube would disappear if they just stopped letting copyright and content id claims happen? Their hands are tied. Stop attacking YouTube and go after outdated copyright laws. The system YouTube has in place is legally required according to the DMCA. The only thing YouTube is guilty of is making it too easy to abuse their copyright system.

Edited by GaspinGeckos
35 minutes ago, GaspinGeckos said:

That is the exact wrong attitude to have. Do you have any idea how quickly YouTube would disappear if they just stopped letting copyright and content id claims happen? Their hands are tied. Stop attacking YouTube and go after outdated copyright laws. The system YouTube has in place is legally required according to the DMCA. The only thing YouTube is guilty of is making it too easy to abuse their copyright system.

You COMPLETELY missed my point.

YouTube is guilty of doing the absolute MINIMUM per the requirements of DMCA law. If they actually cared about their business, their uploaders and the law, they'd hire HUMANS to review these cases (which would immediately dismiss 98% of them, because they're mostly false reports filed by imbeciles who provide NO proof of who they are) and prevent the entire problem.

But YouTube is too fucking lazy/greedy. There's NO money in it for them to improve their copyright system, and since NOBODY is making it a negative for them to have their robots auto-match supposedly "copyrighted" content by SUING THE FUCK out of them for fraud, they see NO reason to do the right thing. They'd rather throw money into making the site "better" on mobile devices, or YouTube Red....instead of MAKING A WORKING COPYRIGHT SYSTEM which should have been done BEFORE any other money was spent on anything else.

This is the epitome of greed: you're already rich, and instead of doing due diligence to make sure that your business is doing things correctly, you just do "the bare minimum" per law and only focus on efforts to make yourself more money. NOBODY is asking for a change to copyright law, or even to YouTube's system; what we ARE asking for is a pair of intelligent/educated human eyes looking at each claim BEFORE a video is taken down/strike is issued. Literally none of the info EVER submitted against me for copyright was legit, and if a human had looked at it, they'd know that.  

• Upvote 5
1 hour ago, Phil said:

You COMPLETELY missed my point.

YouTube is guilty of doing the absolute MINIMUM per the requirements of DMCA law. If they actually cared about their business, their uploaders and the law, they'd hire HUMANS to review these cases (which would immediately dismiss 98% of them, because they're mostly false reports filed by imbeciles who provide NO proof of who they are) and prevent the entire problem.

But YouTube is too fucking lazy/greedy. There's NO money in it for them to improve their copyright system, and since NOBODY is making it a negative for them to have their robots auto-match supposedly "copyrighted" content by SUING THE FUCK out of them for fraud, they see NO reason to do the right thing. They'd rather throw money into making the site "better" on mobile devices, or YouTube Red....instead of MAKING A WORKING COPYRIGHT SYSTEM which should have been done BEFORE any other money was spent on anything else.

This is the epitome of greed: you're already rich, and instead of doing due diligence to make sure that your business is doing things correctly, you just do "the bare minimum" per law and only focus on efforts to make yourself more money. NOBODY is asking for a change to copyright law, or even to YouTube's system; what we ARE asking for is a pair of intelligent/educated human eyes looking at each claim BEFORE a video is taken down/strike is issued. Literally none of the info EVER submitted against me for copyright was legit, and if a human had looked at it, they'd know that.  

Do you have any clue how many copyright/content ID claims go through YouTube in a single day? At all? The only way they could have a person look at every single claim every day would be to hire teams of people to do nothing but that 24 hours a day, 365 days a year in every country on the planet.  It's not as easy to make that happen as you seen to think it is. Millions upon Millions of videos are uploaded to YouTube every day which means millions of claims go through every day. 

But I suppose you think it's easy to find thousands and thousands of people who are familiar with every aspect of copyright law to look over the claims. Because you sure as hell can't just hire Joe Schmo off the street to do that.

3 minutes ago, GaspinGeckos said:

Do you have any clue how many copyright/content ID claims go through YouTube in a single day? At all? The only way they could have a person look at every single claim every day would be to hire teams of people to do nothing but that 24 hours a day, 365 days a year in every country on the planet.  It's not as easy to make that happen as you seen to think it is. Millions upon Millions of videos are uploaded to YouTube every day which means millions of claims go through every day. 

But I suppose you think it's easy to find thousands and thousands of people who are familiar with every aspect of copyright law to look over the claims. Because you sure as hell can't just hire Joe Schmo off the street to do that.

which is never going to happen, which is why people are wasting their time if they think youtube will do anything. :P

Edited by KGhaleon
  • Upvote 1
4 hours ago, GaspinGeckos said:

If there were humans involved, there would certainly be a less amount of false copyright strikes and youtubers like Phil could feel safer from a certain "community" that appreciates false copyright strikes.

Bots on youtube are easy to fool.

You could never hire enough humans to supervise the sheer amount of videos uploaded to YouTube and the content IDs/Strikes that come with them.
A person would have to receive the claim, watch the video and then judge if it falls under fair use or not.
That would require 1000s if not more people every single day of the year. It's a problem Facebook has with Facebook Adverts.
All Facebook ads that are put through are approved by a human, thus it can take between a minute or a day or two to get a response on whether your ad has been approved or declined. Plus it can be decline because the person that reviewed it feels like it broke one of Facebook's guidelines but then you can submit it again and you could get someone else who thinks it's fine.

So not only would Google/YouTube have to hire an unspeakable amount of people (which would cost a fuck ton of money) it would also leave themselves in the position where not all claims will be treated equally because not everyone has the exact same dictionary definition of what falls under fair use.

I dont think phil was talking about EVERY video out there.

I think phil was advocationg people examone the copyright claims ONLU for the partnered channels, the " profesionals" of yputube, not every user.

I think its doable. But it will cut on youtubes profits tgoufh

52 minutes ago, Nation said:

So not only would Google/YouTube have to hire an unspeakable amount of people (which would cost a fuck ton of money) it would also leave themselves in the position where not all claims will be treated equally because not everyone has the exact same dictionary definition of what falls under fair use.

And if they did hire a ton of people, there would then be human error. Google's Lawyers are the only ones who should be determining whether something is Fair use or not.

2 hours ago, 13hr said:

I dont think phil was talking about EVERY video out there.

I think phil was advocationg people examone the copyright claims ONLU for the partnered channels, the " profesionals" of yputube, not every user.

I think its doable. But it will cut on youtubes profits tgoufh

I don't think Managed status classes people as "Professionals of youtube" but then since managed partners have the most protection if youtube gives them and only them even more protection then you will literally be creating a class system where there's the haves and have nots.
That wouldn't fix a problem, that'll just add new problems along side the pre-existing ones

1 hour ago, KGhaleon said:

And if they did hire a ton of people, there would then be human error. Google's Lawyers are the only ones who should be determining whether something is Fair use or not.

Which is true, but then the issue is 1. Laws are fairly outdated and not written with the digital age in mind and 2. How many lawyers do Google have? Certainly not enough to give every single claim the time and attention they need.