The King of Hate Forums

Phil needs to make a video about the new movement happening on youtube.

I d say have around 5-10k subs? update daily or every 3days minimum? Produce content in a job like fashion and not as a hobby?

Then you deserve the pro protection. 

UUpload a video about your dog, your birthday party etc every week, in a hobby fashion with 2k subs? You can afford to take a copy hit false or not. Its just a hobby dor youyou.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Haven't I already talked about this issue, ad nauseum, until I was blue in the face? Whether it was 2009 when Rockstar SUPPOSEDLY struck me for my GTA4: The Lost and Damned playthrough... ..

1st off: Yes, YouTube has MILLIONS of videos uploaded daily, but there are not MILLIONS of copyright strikes/claims issued daily. Saying "it's impossible to have a human review these" is factually inc

You COMPLETELY missed my point. YouTube is guilty of doing the absolute MINIMUM per the requirements of DMCA law. If they actually cared about their business, their uploaders and the law, they'd

Posted Images

Now i never said in this hypothetical they don't do it as a hobby.
They could have a full time job but do this in their free time.

And then we can get into Youtubers that actually have jobs and their channels are a hobby that just happen to get big. Like animators and what not that can't live off commissions and youtube money.

If you're making money off your youtube channel and it's part of your income, I'd say that's a profession. Obviously someone like myself who never monetizes videos and only uploads stuff for fun consider it a hobby. There's a pretty clear distinguish.

• Upvote 2
19 minutes ago, KGhaleon said:

If you're making money off your youtube channel and it's part of your income, I'd say that's a profession. Obviously someone like myself who never monetizes videos and only uploads stuff for fun consider it a hobby. There's a pretty clear distinguish.

I can agree with that. Even if you're making like £20 a month it's still income to a (very limited) extent.

15 minutes ago, hardcoreparkour said:

Of course it's a profession, certainly has been with Phil for years :-)

Not talking about Phil in this instance fella

1st off: Yes, YouTube has MILLIONS of videos uploaded daily, but there are not MILLIONS of copyright strikes/claims issued daily. Saying "it's impossible to have a human review these" is factually incorrect. It's VERY possible, but yes, it would cost Google money. Oh yeah - it would also employ hundreds of people, and insure that US law was actually being upheld properly.

2nd: You apologists seriously need to stop it with the sob story of: "How could you force YouTube to do the right/proper thing? They have FAR too much volume now to do it right!"

Because guess what? That's GOOGLE's fault and nobody should be forced to bear that burden but them. THEY bought out a video-sharing website, massively increased its capacity and functionality, promoted it to the WORLD and said "COME ON IN! POST WHATEVER YOU WANT! It's the WILD WEST of the internet here!" Then, they got cockslapped with the harshness of reality when DMCA law came down on them. Their "quick fix" of an automated, easily fooled and ABUSED system is NOT sufficient, and they have nobody to blame but themselves. They've also done NOTHING to improve the system, instead putting in "dispute processes" to just bounce the ball back and forth between parties and, YET AGAIN, take any kind of responsibility off of them. It's utter, uncaring, immoral and irresponsible bullshit.

Guess what? The VERY SECOND Google purchased YouTube, one of the FIRST things on their mind should have been how to properly enforce DMCA/copyright law. The emphasis should be on PROPERLY, as in, until an actual FUNCTIONALLY AUTOMATED system could be devised, they'd need informed humans to review copyright claim cases. THEN, ONCE YOU HAVE THAT IN PLACE, THEN you can start trying to mass-market your service to the world and find ways to make tons of money off of it. Sorry, just because the business is internet-based is NOT a valid excuse. ANYONE ELSE who provides a product or service has to properly abide by the laws around those fields, and so should YouTube. It's ONLY because there's no formal regulatory body around the internet for this kind of law that they haven't yet been taken to task.

Bottom line: Google/YouTube DID NOT perform due diligence in regards to DMCA/copyright law when setting up the business. There's nobody to blame BUT them, because they're solely responsible. And they SHOULD be held accountable, NOT individual YouTubers having their entire businesses shut down because YouTube is SO fucking uncaring that they let easily-fooled robots completely destroy lives and businesses.

If a theme park opens up its doors, floods with customers, and after 3 years a ride EXPLODES injuring tons of people, they don't get to just shrug their shoulders and say "OH WELL! We ran safety algorithms and everything SAID it was up to code, so we can't be held responsible!" Just because YouTube is hurting businesses instead of physically injuring people DOES NOT make it immune to responsibility. Just like that park, it needs to figure out where they went wrong, institute a fix to PREVENT future issues, and then get up and running again. YouTube has done NONE of that.

• Upvote 6

I honestly don't think youtube will fix anything because adblock is bleeding them dry. Every time someone finds a way to get ads past Adblock the people that made the program updates it. Forbes is the only website that I've visited that forces users to disable adblock if they want to continue to an article.

Honestly though, i dont think this system is "easily fooled" because if ir was and considering the amount of haters phil has, he d be getting 10 copyright notices each day.

Every teenager that hates phil with a computer and int connection, would just file copyright claims nonstop. And if they system was so "easily fooled", they d go through and phil would be shut down.

Real talk, the copy system might be flawed etc etc but " easily fooled"? No its not. If it was a lot of big youtubers would be snowed under all the false copy claims if it was that easy

1 hour ago, Phil said:

1st off: Yes, YouTube has MILLIONS of videos uploaded daily, but there are not MILLIONS of copyright strikes/claims issued daily. Saying "it's impossible to have a human review these" is factually incorrect. It's VERY possible, but yes, it would cost Google money. Oh yeah - it would also employ hundreds of people, and insure that US law was actually being upheld properly.

2nd: You apologists seriously need to stop it with the sob story of: "How could you force YouTube to do the right/proper thing? They have FAR too much volume now to do it right!"

Because guess what? That's GOOGLE's fault and nobody should be forced to bear that burden but them. THEY bought out a video-sharing website, massively increased its capacity and functionality, promoted it to the WORLD and said "COME ON IN! POST WHATEVER YOU WANT! It's the WILD WEST of the internet here!" Then, they got cockslapped with the harshness of reality when DMCA law came down on them. Their "quick fix" of an automated, easily fooled and ABUSED system is NOT sufficient, and they have nobody to blame but themselves. They've also done NOTHING to improve the system, instead putting in "dispute processes" to just bounce the ball back and forth between parties and, YET AGAIN, take any kind of responsibility off of them. It's utter, uncaring, immoral and irresponsible bullshit.

Guess what? The VERY SECOND Google purchased YouTube, one of the FIRST things on their mind should have been how to properly enforce DMCA/copyright law. The emphasis should be on PROPERLY, as in, until an actual FUNCTIONALLY AUTOMATED system could be devised, they'd need informed humans to review copyright claim cases. THEN, ONCE YOU HAVE THAT IN PLACE, THEN you can start trying to mass-market your service to the world and find ways to make tons of money off of it. Sorry, just because the business is internet-based is NOT a valid excuse. ANYONE ELSE who provides a product or service has to properly abide by the laws around those fields, and so should YouTube. It's ONLY because there's no formal regulatory body around the internet for this kind of law that they haven't yet been taken to task.

Bottom line: Google/YouTube DID NOT perform due diligence in regards to DMCA/copyright law when setting up the business. There's nobody to blame BUT them, because they're solely responsible. And they SHOULD be held accountable, NOT individual YouTubers having their entire businesses shut down because YouTube is SO fucking uncaring that they let easily-fooled robots completely destroy lives and businesses.

If a theme park opens up its doors, floods with customers, and after 3 years a ride EXPLODES injuring tons of people, they don't get to just shrug their shoulders and say "OH WELL! We ran safety algorithms and everything SAID it was up to code, so we can't be held responsible!" Just because YouTube is hurting businesses instead of physically injuring people DOES NOT make it immune to responsibility. Just like that park, it needs to figure out where they went wrong, institute a fix to PREVENT future issues, and then get up and running again. YouTube has done NONE of that.

They have taken steps to fix things Phil. They've implemented a team of people to look at the claims. http://www.engadget.com/2016/02/28/youtube-improving-anti-takedown-measures/ But you're so anti-YouTube that you refuse to believe them. You said as much in your video about the fair use thing. 

7 hours ago, Phil said:

Destroy lives and businesses? Your in a fairy tale land, Phil. Youtube gave you a platform to wake up at noon in a nice house and play video games every day. Don't see how you view Youtube/Google in such a negative light when theres waaay more positives than negatives. I mean they could of not paid content creators a dime, and take all the profit. The CEo of Youtube say's they're doing something about it, Youtube can't just snap its fingers and things magically happen...theres a process to these things. If you don't like how this Roller Coaster of a life style is going...you can always get off of it and face a reality 90% of Americans have to face everyday and get a 9-5.

Edited by UnoLavoz
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, UnoLavoz said:

Destroy lives and businesses? Your in a fairy tale land, Phil. Youtube gave you a platform to wake up at noon in a nice house and play video games every day. Don't see how you view Youtube/Google in such a negative light when theres waaay more positives than negatives. I mean they could of not paid content creators a dime, and take all the profit. The CEo of Youtube say's they're doing something about it, Youtube can't just snap its fingers and things magically happen...theres a process to these things. If you don't like how this Roller Coaster of a life style is going...you can always get off of it and face a reality 90% of Americans have to face everyday and get a 9-5.

For someone who considers youtube PTs as their business, yes false copyright strikes could destroy their lives and businesses. Phil probably wouldn't have to rely on Patreon so much if the false copyrights never happened.

Not sure why you can't understand this.

Edited by AshishAshLamps007
1 hour ago, AshishAshLamps007 said:

For someone who considers youtube PTs as their business, yes false copyright strikes could destroy their lives and businesses. Phil probably wouldn't have to rely on Patreon so much if the false copyrights never happened.

Not sure why you can't understand this.

Maybe because the main reason Phil relies on Patreon now is his new contract with Machinima.
So even if the strikes didn't happen he'd still be relying on it as much as he is now.

19 hours ago, GaspinGeckos said:

They have taken steps to fix things Phil. They've implemented a team of people to look at the claims. http://www.engadget.com/2016/02/28/youtube-improving-anti-takedown-measures/ But you're so anti-YouTube that you refuse to believe them. You said as much in your video about the fair use thing. 

A forum post on YouTube's own site and a tweet are not "measures" to improve anything. It's simply a PR move (not even a single promise was made in the post or tweet to improve anything) that sadly fools gullible people like you.

Since that tweet and forum post, at least THREE other popular YouTube channels have been shut down due to the broken copyright system. Guess those measures are really being rushed out to fix stuff!

15 hours ago, UnoLavoz said:

YOU are the one who lives in a fairy-tale land. YouTube has given people who create videos for a living a nice life compared to some others, yes, it's true. That DOES NOT give the company a free pass to VIOLATE COPYRIGHT LAW and RUIN the businesses that were set up based upon the promises given to them by that very same website. But the bottom line is, you don't actually care, as seen in your finally comment: "If you don't like how this Roller Coaster of a life style is going...you can always get off of it and face a reality 90% of Americans have to face everyday and get a 9-5." SO because I get to be a full-time YouTuber, I have NO RIGHT to ever complain about ANYTHING? Even GROSS INJUSTICE and lack of responsibility from a filthy-rich corporation that controls thousands of lives and businesses based on it's laziness? That is such insane jealously/negativity/reasoning....may God help you, because you're going to be held down your ENTIRE life with that mentality.

12 hours ago, Nation said:

Maybe because the main reason Phil relies on Patreon now is his new contract with Machinima.
So even if the strikes didn't happen he'd still be relying on it as much as he is now.

If I hadn't gotten the false copyright strikes last year, I'd be in a MUCH better financial position now - DSPGaming would still have advantageous positioning in YouTube's search algorithm, I wouldn't have lost THOUSANDS of dollars over the course of mid to late 2015, etc. I'd be MUCH more well-equipped to handle a contract renegotiation if my "balls hadn't been cut off" by the abuse of YouTube's broken system. You obviously have zero understanding of the situation, so DO NOT presume to know jack shit and say stuff like this when you're incredibly misinformed and spreading that misinformation as fact.

If the strikes hadn't happened, I would have a new camera right now and my vlogs would look AWESOME. I'd be doing green-screen stuff ALL the time, we'd still have stream intros, fanart, you name it. Those strikes had a HUGE, CRIPPLING effect on my business, and for you to brush them off because of your own agenda is incredibly insulting.

You need to be a LOT more careful with the shit you're saying to/about me on here. Especially the blatant misinformation and backhanded insults/passive-aggressive attitudes. I'm being VERY lenient but it's not like I don't know who you are anyway. Try it again and say goodbye.

• Upvote 3

I feel like that last few lines in Phil's response is directed at me. Is it directed at me? If so, what?

I'll admit i didn't find out who DSP was until late November/early December so the Strike fiasco was already over before i got here so i don't have the best information.

But what?

Edit: I was talking about this bit by the way

8 hours ago, Phil said:

but it's not like I don't know who you are anyway. 

Edited by Nation
Clarity

Nation, i think phil means that you are suspect of trolling if you are behind a proxy.

If you are not behind a proxy while assesing this site then i dont know what phil means or if he knows you.

But if you are behind a proxy, i think phil regards you as a hater now , because of your comments.

But if you are not using a proxy i dont know.

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, Nation said:

I feel like that last few lines in Phil's response is directed at me. Is it directed at me? If so, what?

I'll admit i didn't find out who DSP was until late November/early December so the Strike fiasco was already over before i got here so i don't have the best information.

But what?

Edit: I was talking about this bit by the way

Everyone knows you and UnoLavoz are sock accounts lol. Just a suggestion. After getting banned, don't create a twitter account with the same name and cry about how "real" you were.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, 13hr said:

Nation, i think phil means that you are suspect of trolling if you are behind a proxy.

If you are not behind a proxy while assesing this site then i dont know what phil means or if he knows you.

But if you are behind a proxy, i think phil regards you as a hater now , because of your comments.

But if you are not using a proxy i dont know.

I'm at work at the moment, my work might have a proxy set up i guess.

1 hour ago, AshishAshLamps007 said:

Everyone knows you and UnoLavoz are sock accounts lol. Just a suggestion. After getting banned, don't create a twitter account with the same name and cry about how "real" you were.

1. I don't even have twitter
2. "Everyone" is you, KG and HardcoreParkour. There are more people here that ignore you whenever you talk than people that think i'm a sock account.
3. Just a suggestion, after you make comments about people being "real" remember that you made a twitter account for your "real" twitter girlfriend.
4. Can you keep comments like this to yourself because honestly every time you talk you lower the IQ of the entire thread.

But now we're getting into derailing the thread far off from it's intended purpose about #WTFU and how fucked up the current Youtube system is.

Edited by Nation
  • Upvote 1
9 hours ago, Bailey_Dakota said:

point 1 and 3 are a bit contradictory don't ya think?

Me not having a twitter contradicts with Ash creating a twitter account for a non-existent person?

Edit: Not gonna lie, i cant be arsed to deal with any arguments on here. I'ma just stick to ignoring certain users and just get on with things. It literally takes too much energy to deal with bullshit.

Edited by Nation

Let's not derail the discussion into accusations of sock accounts, twitter accounts and such. I got rid of the sock accounts so anybody posting right now is at least legit/has an actual IP address, lol.

Lost Pause's situation is something even more different: people getting flagged for sexuality/nudity in videos when there's WAY WORSE stuff on the site that doesn't get flagged/stricken. THIS ALSO happened to me with my Godfather 2 playthrough, which I didn't even bring up in my #WTFU video because I didn't think it applied.

• Upvote 1