The King of Hate Forums

2nd Streams coming back?

13 hours ago, Nation said:

Not to be "That guy" but how much effort does it take to make a DSP Tries It or the reaction videos?
I'm not trying to sell you short or anything but you eat/drink a thing and record it. Or you watch a thing, then talk about it. You could probably crank out like 70 DSP Tries It a week. (You shouldn't and i would never suggest it. But you can)

The playthroughs, reviews, hateful truths, WIP, mini-reviews and montages i can imagine take a fair bit of time though. Especially montages since first you have to play the game and then rewatch it all to get the bits you need and then edit and what not.

Edit: Coming back to this later, this sounds a lot more sarcastic than i had intended.....

Not at all, it's a valid question.

DSP Tries It IS the easiest thing that I put out, which is why it's released on Saturday - the day when I spend half the day out, doing errands/chores, and the one day a week I take my girlfriend out to dinner. Our "date night" is essentially doing errands because I have no free time outside of that day. So that day, I upload a relatively low-work vlog like DSP Tries It. It takes the amount of time to film (how long the video is) plus running it through an encoder, so I'd say roughly 30 minutes of work. Not bad for such a long-running series with a dedicated following. I purposely release it Saturdays because I know I'm not home to do anything else.

Reaction vids take work: first I have to actually watch whatever I'm reacting to and usually take notes. Then I have to film (and say stuff correctly, so if I screw up I have to do multiple takes). Then I have to edit it all together and encode it. On average? Probably about 2.5 hours of work depending on what I'm reacting to/how much I have to say about it.

Reviews and montages take tons of work.
Reviews: Not only do I have to record tons of voiceovers but I have to sift through LOTS of gameplay to find stuff that's referencing what I'm referring to in the review itself. Depending on the complexity of the game and how much I have to say, it could take anywhere from 3-4 hours just to have the review ready to upload...then I have to upload it, babysit it, add it to a playlist and promote it.
Montages: again, sifting through TONS of video footage to find the best/memorable moments and make a montage of them. Takes tons of time and then of course, the editing has to be JUST right so it flows, etc. So they also take around 2.5-3.5 hours of work.

20 minutes ago, Phil said:

Reaction vids take work: first I have to actually watch whatever I'm reacting to and usually take notes. Then I have to film (and say stuff correctly, so if I screw up I have to do multiple takes). Then I have to edit it all together and encode it. On average? Probably about 2.5 hours of work depending on what I'm reacting to/how much I have to say about it.

Slightly off-topic, but, what you're describing here isn't a reaction it's a review. I've not of heard of anyone needing to take notes to react to something, or do multiple takes of "lines" in a reaction video. Your reaction videos, from what I've seen as I haven't watched them all, are more like mini reviews than reactions. In my opinion at least.

20 hours ago, Nation said:

Not to be "That guy" but how much effort does it take to make a DSP Tries It or the reaction videos?
I'm not trying to sell you short or anything but you eat/drink a thing and record it. Or you watch a thing, then talk about it. You could probably crank out like 70 DSP Tries It a week. (You shouldn't and i would never suggest it. But you can)

The playthroughs, reviews, hateful truths, WIP, mini-reviews and montages i can imagine take a fair bit of time though. Especially montages since first you have to play the game and then rewatch it all to get the bits you need and then edit and what not.

Edit: Coming back to this later, this sounds a lot more sarcastic than i had intended.....

I definitely laughed wile reading  this comment.

Off topic question to @Phil:

Did you get your camera fixed? I remember you saying the camera only lasted like 20 mins every video or something and its gotta be strained with all the work its doing now.

24 minutes ago, UnoLavoz said:

I definitely laughed wile reading  this comment.

Off topic question to @Phil:

Did you get your camera fixed? I remember you saying the camera only lasted like 20 mins every video or something and its gotta be strained with all the work its doing now.

I assume you're talking about my old Sony digital camera, which was used to record all gameplay content PLUS vlogging from late 2010-early 2013. It was also what I used for the green screen vids and whenever I want to get something that looks REALLY crisp, because it has a huge lens that gets amazing video quality. There's nothing to get fixed there - the camera is just REALLY old and was used far more than a camera was ever intended to be used. It still works but is probably on its last legs; no matter what battery I put it in, it won't record videos longer than 20 minutes at a time for an unknown reason.

However, since last year I adopted the following setups:

-For in-office vlogs, I use a Logitech 1080p webcam. It's not GREAT, but it serves its purpose and nobody has complained about the quality of vlogs since I started using it.
-For out-of-office vlogs (think DSP Tries It, LootCrate unboxings etc.) I use the Panasonic 1080p camcorder that I bought years ago. It works well for that stuff, but sadly isn't good enough for green-screen as the footage always comes out a bit fuzzy. But it DOES do 60fps, which people have seen in the last few DSP Tries It episodes.

FYI the camera I wanted to buy would be 1080p, 60fps, have a LARGE lens, and allow for a mic input....so when I film stuff everywhere, the audio would be great. Could do green screen stuff in the garage with no echo, etc. But that's completely off the table now.

• Upvote 4
7 hours ago, Phil said:

Not at all, it's a valid question.

DSP Tries It IS the easiest thing that I put out, which is why it's released on Saturday - the day when I spend half the day out, doing errands/chores, and the one day a week I take my girlfriend out to dinner. Our "date night" is essentially doing errands because I have no free time outside of that day. So that day, I upload a relatively low-work vlog like DSP Tries It. It takes the amount of time to film (how long the video is) plus running it through an encoder, so I'd say roughly 30 minutes of work. Not bad for such a long-running series with a dedicated following. I purposely release it Saturdays because I know I'm not home to do anything else.

Reviews and montages take tons of work.
Reviews: Not only do I have to record tons of voiceovers but I have to sift through LOTS of gameplay to find stuff that's referencing what I'm referring to in the review itself. Depending on the complexity of the game and how much I have to say, it could take anywhere from 3-4 hours just to have the review ready to upload...then I have to upload it, babysit it, add it to a playlist and promote it.
Montages: again, sifting through TONS of video footage to find the best/memorable moments and make a montage of them. Takes tons of time and then of course, the editing has to be JUST right so it flows, etc. So they also take around 2.5-3.5 hours of work.

Well shit, that's actually a fair amount of work. coupled with the daily streams and everything that's gotta be a hassle. You're basically looking at a minimum of 2 hours for anything that ISN'T a DSP Tries It. And you do this practically daily? Bloody hell.