The King of Hate Forums

Reading subs?

Why is there such an inconsistency in reading the subtitles for non-dubbed games?

He read just about all of the text in Yakuza 4, most in 5 and yet he doesn't read any of the subtitles in Farcry Primal which has a made up language?

Doesn't make much sense, I thought it was a service towards his visually impaired viewers.

• Upvote 1

This is pretty simple.

If a game has subs and isn't voiced, I read the subtitles.

If a game has subs but is in another language, I ALMOST always read the subtitles. Recent exception was Yakuza 5, because when I did so in 4, tons of people complained in video comments, and voted the videos down, saying it was distracting and I ruined the voice acting. It's the same reason I'm not reading the subs in Far Cry Primal. I'm not sure if I will in the future or not; this is the first time anyone has even commented about the Far Cry Primal playthrough, which apparently not very many care about.

If the game has subs but is in English, I obviously don't read them.

On 2/24/2016 at 1:25 PM, riddhe said:

Why is there such an inconsistency in reading the subtitles for non-dubbed games?

He read just about all of the text in Yakuza 4, most in 5 and yet he doesn't read any of the subtitles in Farcry Primal which has a made up language?

Doesn't make much sense, I thought it was a service towards his visually impaired viewers.

He doesn't want to talk over the cavemen. Both the cavemen and DSP talking over each other would get irritating.