The King of Hate Forums

Pokkén Tournament

I'm making this thread in the playthrough section in the hope that Phil plays this game. Pokkén Tournament is a fighting game coming out for the Wii U on March 18th. What makes it unique is that the roster is entirely pokemon. Here's the trailer for it.

It seems like something right up Phil's alley and I'd love to see him play it. It's gameplay is supposed to be similar to the Tekken series, hence Pokkén in the title. What do you guys think? Should Phil try to squeeze it in?

12 hours ago, KGhaleon said:

I'm sure he'll play it.

I had a chance to mess around with it a few weeks ago, and it was pretty fun. Will the controller also be released in America?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019QB4SL0?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

I was excited for pokken at first but now it seems like something that I will probably pick up later. The roster seems iffy with pokemon like suicune and 2 pikachus. I would have liked to see more fighting types like the hitmons. I also have only played tekken a handful of times on an arcade cabinet and the only characters I really know are king and yosimitsu (pretty sure that's how you spell it).

I would be interested to see if Phil plays it, it looks like it will play similar to Jojo ASB where it is a circular arena but on a shifting 2d plane.

1 minute ago, Venom said:

I was excited for pokken at first but now it seems like something that I will probably pick up later. The roster seems iffy with pokemon like suicune and 2 pikachus. I would have liked to see more fighting types like the hitmons. I also have only played tekken a handful of times on an arcade cabinet and the only characters I really know are king and yosimitsu (pretty sure that's how you spell it).

I would be interested to see if Phil plays it, it looks like it will play similar to Jojo ASB where it is a circular arena but on a shifting 2d plane.

The battles actually start in full 3D, then whenever a big hit is landed, it switches to a 2D standard fight. And when another big hit is landed, it switches back to 3D. So your strategy will have to change throughout the battle.

Yeah it seems like I thought, I like how Nintendo is letting other 3rd parties use first party franchises like with hyrule warriors and the upcoming star fox game. I bet a lot of people would want to see Super Mario RPG2, I heard that SMRPG was really good.

9 minutes ago, NepNep said:

It looks great but that announcer is so aggravating.... She gets annoying so quick and won't shut up.

Well you can turn off the announcer for fights. I'm sure she wouldn't be as big of a problem if she didn't speak every second, because she's fine in the tutorials from what I've seen.

I was more hyped for this before I saw that trailer. Stuff seemed to be silly safe on block, or the players just didn't know how to punish. Field mode seemed to be a tad bit useless... Oh well, maybe one day they make a real fighting game with Pokémons.

On 3/1/2016 at 0:33 AM, Raeknub said:

I was more hyped for this before I saw that trailer. Stuff seemed to be silly safe on block, or the players just didn't know how to punish. Field mode seemed to be a tad bit useless... Oh well, maybe one day they make a real fighting game with Pokémons.

The games not even out yet though, all the pro players said really positive things about pokken so maybe let it rock for a while till we see what the meta is like.

Edited by NepNep

Well yea, the recent "Combo Video" did raise my expectations a bit. The game does have some depth, which is cool. I still haven't seen the Field Mode being utilized well, but like you said, we'll see how it works once it's out. I lack a WII U myself, if the game had Meloetta too, I would be forced to buy it ^^

25 minutes ago, Raeknub said:

Well yea, the recent "Combo Video" did raise my expectations a bit. The game does have some depth, which is cool. I still haven't seen the Field Mode being utilized well, but like you said, we'll see how it works once it's out. I lack a WII U myself, if the game had Meloetta too, I would be forced to buy it ^^

From what I've seen, I think field mode is a more strategic mode, where you need to plan out your attacks to either get a good combo or set them up for a distance attack. For example, Sceptile can place leaf traps on the floor to slow opponents and that can be a setup for either his combos, a grab, or his ground distance attack.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, SilentWarrior25 said:

From what I've seen, I think field mode is a more strategic mode, where you need to plan out your attacks to either get a good combo or set them up for a distance attack. For example, Sceptile can place leaf traps on the floor to slow opponents and that can be a setup for either his combos, a grab, or his ground distance attack.

Having a slowing trap or something like that does make sense. Entering the ... non field mode (my name memory is horrible ^^) while under a debuff would create interesting and varied strategies to apply in field mode.

Just now, Raeknub said:

Having a slowing trap or something like that does make sense. Entering the ... non field mode (my name memory is horrible ^^) while under a debuff would create interesting and varied strategies to apply in field mode.

It's duel mode, and yeah having debuffs during either mode are great for strategy. And that's why some supports are just really good to use for these situations, like with Emolga decreasing speed up to 3 times per use.

Honestly the trailer is less than impresive.

Reminds me of ehrgeiz. Only that one i suspect had more solid fights and that says a lot cause it was mediocre at best.

This isnt at all like i imagined a pokefighting game. 

12 hours ago, 13hr said:

Honestly the trailer is less than impresive.

Reminds me of ehrgeiz. Only that one i suspect had more solid fights and that says a lot cause it was mediocre at best.

This isnt at all like i imagined a pokefighting game. 

Well from what the pro players said so far, its a really deep fighting game and it seems pretty fun so far. Though the amount of content it has does seem a little light.

4 minutes ago, onorub said:

Is that girl gonna be there for the whole single player experience? Her voice acting is not even "so bad that is good", it's "so bad that is terrible".

You actually can turn her off lol Thats what I did what I started the game since her voice was extremely aggravating in the previews and she never shuts up in the fights.