The King of Hate Forums
Phil

Ask the King Ep. 59 - TBD April 2016

Hi Phil,

Could you go through what your typical day is like and what Leanna's day is like? From the time you wake up to the time you go to sleep, what's your normal routine? Also, what time do you normally wake up and what time do you go to sleep? Do you and Leanna normally go to sleep at the same time?

Thanks!

WowDude

• Upvote 1

Hey Phil,

If I watch your videos on a mobile device such as a tablet or phone, do you still get paid for that view? Because what I am noticing is that ads aren't popping up and I was wondering if that still counted as a view. Thanks, and have a great day.

Hey Phil,

I know that I've already asked a question but this is more of a favor... My friend Devyn Harris passed away recently and she was a huge fan. I was just wondering if you would be kind enough to mention her in this ask the king. I know it might seem as if i'm doing this for attention, but please believe me i'm not. Thanks.

• Upvote 1

Any chance of Looking in both the ps store and xbox marketplace for games that may interest you just because some are free does not make them horrible games for ex(example) recently their were multiple games releasing this month that was released on pc Gungeon, day of the tentacle etc now their releasing on ps4 today it might have not been announced on a trailer but it may be a game to be interested in im just asking to take a look at the digital ps store and xbox store every now and again?

Hey Phil

i've been a follower since late 2013 and i know you never really do second playthroughs (unless its Fallout) but with Microsoft releasing backwards compatibility for the xbox one back in november 2015 would you consider taking advantage of the feature and doing second playthroughs of games like mirrors edge or assassins creed for example or even use it for when they add older fighting games to go back to those. personally i'm waiting for them to add the BIGS 2 Baseball and assassins creed 3 to the list

Hi Phil

First time poster, long time follower. I just wanted to ask, based off the popularity of your recent dark souls 3 streams along with other popular gameplay streams, would you say 2016 is becoming a year for increase in your popularity more than ever? Also which games have you enjoyed the most so far?

Thanks

Edited by Fluffernutters

Do you think fighting games should only have combo-focused gameplay if the combos are easily breakable with enough practice like in Killer Instinct?

In 2012, you played Ratchet and Clank 1 and Jak and Daxter. Two years later, in  2014, you played Ratchet and Clank 2 Going Commando and Jak 2. Now that it is  2016, which is  another two years, are you going to keep the pattern going and play the final game in those collections when there's downtime?

Hello Philip! What happened to those friendships that you had in high school with Mark and the others? From the stories from hate live podcast, I've figured that you were really close with them.  What happened to those friendships and are you guys still in contact or did that ''Never talk again after high school'' Phenomenon happen? 

• Upvote 1

Phil i have 2 questions for you, please answer one or both if you want

1) In your entire career on youtube do you have anything that you regretted do and wished you haven't made or would do completely different?

2) As you, i'm also a big Nintendo fan, but i know for a fact that the Wii U is a complete flop, so in your opinion what would be better for Nintendo, drop the gimmicks on the console, the NX, ou just give up and sell their franchises?

Sorry for any bad english, and cheers from Brazil

Hello, TKOH Forums.
I’m a long time watcher, first time writer, and I decided to join the forums to submit some questions for Ask The King. Phil often requests around 50 to 100 questions in order to have a hefty amount to pull from for the actual podcast. Thus, for the past few weeks I started jotting down questions I had when watching Phil’s streams and older videos, to be submitted all at once when the time comes.

So, here they are:

1. I understand that this might be far too early to start thinking about this, but your tenth anniversary on YouTube is less than a year away. Do you have any early plans in mind to celebrate the occasion? 
  2. As of now, how long into the future do you see yourself sticking to YouTube? Do you think the problems with YT will only get better or worse from here on out? Do you have any backup plans in the event that things take a nosedive?
  3. Do you attribute your initial YouTube success to fans of your fighting game years watching your footage and spreading your fame through word of mouth, or through people watching your gameplay footage upon a game’s release? That is, was it your history or your video footage that made you popular?
  4. With your Street Fighter V videos, you said that you might return to the fighting game scene and participate in tournaments. Is that still in your future plans, or would you rather focus on your business?
  5. On another note, you also expressed a disinterest in SFV in favor of Pokkén Tournament. Would you attend a tournament to play Pokkén Tournament instead of SFV? How do you think people would react to that?
  6. One last tournament question: You said that you would not like to attend EVO because you would rather check out Las Vegas instead of playing games all day. I don’t mean to come off as rude in asking this, but could you not simply plan for a full week in Vegas, taking off three to four days for EVO and spending the rest in the city?
  7. This isn’t technically a tournament question, but it does involve a gaming convention. Recently I went on a classic MAGfest binge and found a video of you and some friends partaking in a Call of Duty 4 tournament. Would you like to talk about that tournament in more detail?
  8. If you had the money, would you visit conventions more regularly, perhaps queuing up videos in the meantime to keep your YouTube channel healthy while out doing other things? Is there a convention you’ve never been to that you’ve always wanted to go to, but never could due to time or money constraints?
  9. Outside of your ability to stick with games no matter the bullshit, what would you say that your best qualities are as a person? This may seem like a job interview kind of question, but I’m just curious how you would answer such a question.
  10. As a follow-up, what do you believe your worst qualities to be? Is there anything about yourself that you recognize that you could or should change? Or do you see yourself as fine with the person you currently are?
  11. I’ve noticed when going to past videos that you’ve clearly lost weight between 2008 and now. To what do you credit this weight loss? Do you regularly exercise?
  12. Another question regarding health: Despite your statements suggesting that moving to Seattle has helped your nose, you still seem to sniffle and snort during gameplay, especially during pre-streams. I’m sure you’ve considered going to the doctor for a checkup, but have you delayed such a visit due to financial concerns?
  13. Outside of video games and movies and other forms of entertainment like those, what would you say is one of your most favorite hobbies? What do you love to do in your time away from playing games?
  14. While the most recent updates to Skype have removed the ability to find an IP address, I can understand your concern about the program. Have you considered using an alternate program such as Discord to talk with people, such as co-op partners or fans during Q&A segments?
  15. Are there any websites other than YouTube and Twitter that you frequent? Have you visited any other websites ever since taking up YouTube as a full-time job? 
  16. Who would you say your comedic influences are? Many have noted elements of AVGN in your commentary, specifically the scat/dick jokes and lines like “What were they thinking?!”, but are there any other comedians you try to pay homage to in your gameplay?
  17. You’ve claimed that the hate from detractors makes you a stronger person and more motivated to continue your work. However, it seems like it’s easy to get under your skin, such as when people bring up the happenstances during your Kingdom Hearts playthrough. Does hate fuel you through other means outside of your business?
  18. When the channel first premiered, you claimed that the name “KOGaming” had a double meaning. While one of those meanings is obviously the knock-out/boxing imagery, you have never revealed what that second meaning is. Do you plan to reveal that second meaning any time soon?
  19. Did you ever think of hiring an intern to help make videos for KOGaming? They wouldn’t necessarily have to be paid, as unpaid internships are a thing that exist mostly to boost a resume and exploit the labor force. Did you ever consider teaching Leanna the basics of video editing so that she could help make videos for KOGaming instead of a dedicated intern?
  20. Despite your claims about the use of face cams in game playthroughs, you’ve used face cams in your own playthroughs, most recently in Dark Souls 3 but also in games such as Crash Bandicoot and Minecraft. Is there anything you do with your face cam usage that you feel separates you from those you criticize? 
  21. If you had been aware of how widely and how quickly that “This Is How You Don’t Play” videos would take off, as well as how it would affect your business, would you have done anything different at first? Would you have reached out to TIHYDP makers and tried to get them on your side? Would you have allowed them to post the videos on your channel and share any monetization profits with them?
  22. People have sometimes complained that it is becoming more and more apparent in your playthroughs that you are using your stream chat attendees to help you in your gameplay, to the point that you will outright interact with them during a game and wait for their response when stuck in a certain situation. Do you feel this to be true, or do you feel that you only use stream chat as a last resort?
  23. Have you ever had an idea for a video game of your own design? What genre would it be? Would you favor story over gameplay, vice versa, or try to maintain a balance between the two?
  24. What would you need to do in order to reboot your Day One Unboxing video series? Would you primarily need to be able to afford Special or Collector’s Editions of games, seeing how barebones standard editions have become?
  25. Some have criticized your older commentaries for being sexist or racist, specifically comments regarding ogling women’s bodies or making thuggish stereotypical comments. While this obviously does not reflect on you as a person, I would like to ask if you’ve put these criticisms to mind in recent months or years as you play games.
  26. A short question regarding Project 7: I’ve seen some YT comments asking if it would be okay to use the “Project 7” name for other projects outside of your creation; that is, some people want to make a fan version of Project 7. Would it be okay for fans to use “Project 7” or some variation on that name in their own video projects, or do you still plan to do something with the name?
  27. For how much longer do you see yourself doing various non-gaming video series, specifically DSP Tries It? As time goes on, you might soon hit a point where you begin repeating yourself, and video eventually become redundant.
  28. Other YouTubers have often talked about how they play video games outside of those they post to YouTube, not only handheld games next-to-impossible to stream but also console games being played for the first time. Are there any games you are currently playing off-stream for your own personal enjoyment?
  29. You’ve often criticized game developers for not delivering on promises, such as when “Evolve” dropped and was extremely unsatisfying. Have you ever been contacted by developers directly responding to your comments?
  30. In recent months, some people have accused you of using guides to play through games, specifically Dark Souls 3, when in the past you’ve prided yourself on playing games blind to the point. Do you feel there are exceptions to your own rules in such cases, or do you only want to use guides when you feel there is no alternative?
  31. Other than cheaper property taxes and financial corner-cutting, was there any reason you decided to move out to Washington state? For example, did you attend a tournament in the area and the memories of the city always stuck with you up until the move out?
  32. Back before you revealed KOGaming, you said that you wanted to make your new channel something completely separate from the DarksydePhil/The King of Hate brand and make something completely unique. However, ever since then, KOGaming has become a third pillar of sorts that it interwoven with DSPGaming and TKOHVlogs. Did your plans fall through somehow, and it turned out to be next to impossible to separate your new channel from the old, or were other factors involved?
  33. You’ve been with Machinima for the past five or seven years, maybe more. Is there anything specific that keeps you sticking with them throughout the years, despite all of the criticisms Machinima has received? If Machinima didn’t exist, who do you think or hope you would be partnered with today?
  34. You often wear a cowboy hat during “Ask The King”. If this question is being answered, then I bet you’re wearing it right now. I’m personally unfamiliar with the hat’s history; would you mind explaining it for those who aren’t in the know?
  35. It’s been a while since you’ve done anything on the scale of the Hardcore Gaming Season Giveaway. Do you have any plans for such a giveaway any time in the future, perhaps as part of a tenth-anniversary celebration?
  36. Speaking of the Hardcore Gaming Season, I’ve been meaning to ask: Is it an actual thing? That is, is the concept of the Hardcore Gaming Season something that most or even all gamers recognize, or is it more of a personal observation that you’ve adhered to throughout the years?
  37. You’ve mentioned a few times in your pre-streams that Leanna now has a part-time job outside of her own YouTube channel and soap/wax tart business. How well is that working out for her, balancing time between working outside of the house and working at home? (Feel free to bring her into your office to have her answer this question!)
  38. Speaking of Leanna: Some of your best playthroughs have been your co-op playthroughs with Leanna, even if those games were single-player and it was strictly co-commentary. Have you ever considered bringing Leanna in as a long-term partner of sorts, to do commentary over games? 
  39. You once talked about wishing to open an Italian restaurant. Have you made any headway into those plans, or is it a “back burner” idea you won’t think about until after you close your YouTube business?
  40. Some people have accused you of playing a character, much like how the Angry Video Game Nerd and James Rolfe are two separate entities. Is there a difference between the DarksydePhil we see playing games and the Philip Burnell we don’t see in reality, or are the two essentially one and the same?
  41. Judging by your Instagram and Twitter mentions of doing so, it would seem that you’ve made it a daily tradition to end your day watching a movie or TV show. Have you ever considered making a video series out of reviewing the movies and shows you watch immediately after having watched them? It wouldn’t be too hard; you’d just have to set up your camera on a tripod, hit record, and then talk with Leanna on your living room couch for under ten minutes.
  42. Some people have noticed that you’ve started to tone down the edge in your commentary; what was once a series of “What the fucks” and yelling has been replaced with “What the flip” and some periods of silence. Is there any voluntary reason to this change, or is it just a natural evolution and maturing of your commentary?
  43. People often say that whenever you perform poorly in games that it is your fault, and never the game’s fault. Whether or not this is true isn’t my question, but rather: What would you say is your most memorable moment in gaming where what you did wasn’t your fault, and indeed WAS the game’s fault?
  44. If you had not become a fighting game professional nor a YouTube Let’s Player, what do you think you would be doing right now? That is, if you had grown up ignoring video games, what kind of work do you think you’d be doing today?
  45. How exactly did you get into fighting games? Did the idea of the genre always appeal to you, or did friends introduce you to the fighting game scene as a kid?
  46. Have you ever taken the time to go back through your old play through and watch them? If you had the chance, such as a Patreon stretch goal, would you return to an older game you enjoyed playing years ago and do a Retro Replay? If you had to pick one such game now, what would it be?
  47. I watched your Italian sauce making-of video on a lark the other day, and you expressed some disdain in having made more than you and Leanna could eat without freezing. Have you ever considered selling your excess Italian sauce through a website such as Etsy? It could easily work as an additional source of income besides Patreon, after all.
  48. People have often criticized you for “living in the past”, such as bringing up your EVO rankings or how you often bring up how your business performed a handful of years ago. Do you feel these accusations to have some element of truth, or do you think it is those detractors who are obsessed with your past performances?
  49. Do you have anything you regret in regards to your business? Is there a decision you made early in your business’ life that, in retrospect, you wish you would have done differently or not at all? 
  50. This is likely a personal question, and I won’t be surprised if it goes ignored: When you ignore the bullshit in Google searches when looking up the name “DarksydePhil”, you can find old website articles and game reviews written by you from websites such as The Next Level. Have you ever talked about your past in gaming reviews? If not, is it something you WOULD feel comfortable talking about?
  51. This may be a personal question too, but: Which of your parents did you feel more comfortable with when growing up? Did you like them both equally, or did you have a stronger preference one way or the other? If/when you become a parent, would you model your parenting style on your own childhood experiences with your parents, or would you try to do things differently?
  52. One last personal question: Are you content with where you are in life? Are you comfortable with the decisions you’ve made up to this point, and are you happy with where they’ve led you?

I hope that’s more than enough questions! I should note that I’ve been writing these for the past few weeks, and some questions may be outdated by now. I apologize if that’s the case. I also apologize if these questions seem scrambled; they were written in the order that they came to my mind, and I never got around to sorting them out.

• Upvote 1

Hi Phil, have you heard about the ps4.5 codenamed NEO? It's supposedly a ps4 with upgraded internal specs. How do you feel about this and about the idea of a console going through the pc route. I think that this is a sign that consoles could potentially have shorter life cycle spans and more frequent internal upgrade models.

On 8 maart 2016 at 1:03 PM, ThatUniqueGuy said:

Hi, DSP

Two questions to ask:

1. I've been laid off recently so I wanted to hear how you felt when you had the same happen to you. If you don't want to answer this, I can appreciate that.

2. What's been your favourite piece of DLC in a videogame? Multiple examples would be fine with me.

There is a video on that. I think its on the DarksydePhil channel. If you search for it it will come up. Great vid by the way.

Hi Phil,

As you are with Machinima and can play Nintendo games for us, how do you see yourself sharing Zelda NX (Fields of Dawn) with us via YouTube. If you cover this game it could take weeks of fulltime gameplay to emerse yourself fully in this enormous world. 

Combined on- and offline play, some parts streamed, recaps, etc.

I can't wait to play the new Zelda and to see if Nintendo does the NX right. How big of an impact do you think this new Zelda game will have for Nintendo and their future (if Zelda on NX fails, this could be game over for Nintendo as a console company)?

Edited by AtlasTelamon

How's it going DSP? Although I've been a fan of your channel content for years, I'm a new member to this forum. My question for you is would you be open to doing business with me? You live by a Pink Gorilla and I want to start collecting Imports. Is it possible to pay you an amount of your choosing to shop @ that store for games for me? I know you're a busy man, so maybe when its a slow month? Thank you for taking the time to cover this and keep up the incredible work, no matter who hates on you!

Hi Phil 

I want to know if you read any comics back when you were kid, or when you were a teenager. If so what were some of your favorites and least favorites.

Thanks   

Edited by iamkurla249

On 22/04/2016 at 6:30 AM, Superghostface101 said:

In 2012, you played Ratchet and Clank 1 and Jak and Daxter. Two years later, in  2014, you played Ratchet and Clank 2 Going Commando and Jak 2. Now that it is  2016, which is  another two years, are you going to keep the pattern going and play the final game in those collections when there's downtime?

would be interested in this as well ^

1. What are your thoughts on drugs and alcohol, this was asked on a previous ask the king (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxOYY8aOKQg) at 6:10 but you didn't answer this part

2. How did you originally get into street fighter, and started playing professionally etc

3. Where is the music from at the this week in preview ending patron part

Edited by Polarizer

On 03/03/2016 at 10:41 PM, Phil said:

Please post up your questions for the next episode of Ask the King here!

It will take place in April of 2016 but the date is currently to be determined. Thanks!

Hi phil 

I wanted to now how do u feel about the new ps4 console called ps4.5 coming out soon. and what your thoughts are towards it. Ps thanks. So much for all the awesome vids 

Hey Phil,

Recently you played anime based fighting games such as Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm and Dragonball Z Xenoverse. On May 31st a fighting game based on the anime/manga series One Piece will be released called One Piece: Burning Blood. Would you consider continuing branching out with anime based games and pick up this one? Possibly as a patron playthrough or something to do when you have down time even? 

Thanks,

Kat

Yo Phil. Quick question for you. For the past few playthroughs I notice you often said or tweeted that you "ran out of time." This happened with your BLOPS3 Zombie gameplay with your friends more specifically. Out of curiosity what do you mean by out of time? Don't you set your own hours? Why not just extend the playthroughs you are enjoying and have fun with it rather than set arbitrary restrictions? Is this time limit set so you have enough time to babysit uploads?

I only ask because I remember back in the day when you lived in Connecticut,  if you were really into the games you'd play them well into the night without restrictions. Now you seem to have a much more rigid schedule. Just wondering what changed for you that made you decide to give yourself more reasonable "business" hours? Thanks! 

Edited by DML897
  • Upvote 1

Hey Phil. Do you have any thoughts about the newest season of game of thrones (season 6) completely overtaking the source material by George R R Martin? He apparently has given the showrunner the major plot points for where the series is headed, but this will be the first season which is heading into completely uncharted territory.

Hey Phil

With Nintendo delaying the new Zelda to be an NX launch title and the persisting rumors of more powerful versions of the Xbox One and Playstation 4, do you think this console generation was simply too underpowered and rushed out? Even though I think the PS4 is a decent console, it still has trouble running games at 1080p which is absurd to me.

It's 2016, most people have had 1080p TVs for a very long time. Many PC gamers have been playing their games at 1440p and even 4k resolutions for the last couple of of years. 4k ready Televisions and monitors are becoming very popular, yet the consoles that gaming media outlets still call 'next gen' have to run many games at 900p or even 792p in some cases.

I feel like the Xbox 360  and PS3 were technological leaps forward when they came out and it took many years for them to become too weak for modern games, whereas this generation of consoles weren't powerful enough from the beginning and were rushed out as a filler generation until the console companies could actually figure out how to make machines that can handle high resolution gaming.

Thanks for reading.

Edited by BlearyLine7

Sup phil

What kind of music were you into growing up? What kind of music are you into now? What artists do you favor, and in contrast who do you despise lol. Itd be interesting to know what your preferences are in regards to music.

Peace,

Allex