The King of Hate Forums

Has DSP ever disappointed you?

19 minutes ago, MethRollins said:

I thought that was the first PC he got in 2011? His recent computer he got from one of those pc building sites. I could be wrong but I don't remember him saying anything about it being messed up, besides a cracked case or something. 

No, you're right.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

With Twitch I feel like you sacrificed exposure for higher quality streams on youtube, which may not even be warranted if people don't watch the streams at that quality. I don't know about everyone el

Yeah that was his prior PC. If I recall the case was cracked but there was also an issue he had with the RAM. I agree that it's disappointing how he disregards PC games that aren't AAA titles. To

Actually Twitch takes half of that money. Regardless, he got huge attendance compared to the 200-300 viewers he gets on youtube. Some of his popular playthroughs would've easily gotten 1K+ viewers on

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Vrifter said:

No, you're right.

Yeah that was his prior PC. If I recall the case was cracked but there was also an issue he had with the RAM.

I agree that it's disappointing how he disregards PC games that aren't AAA titles. Tons of great indie games come to PC every month and he never plays them, and likely won't unless they end up in a Patreon poll. For someone that runs a business playing games that's a ton of potential views that he isn't getting. Oh well that's his choice.

Edited by KGhaleon
  • Upvote 8
21 hours ago, KGhaleon said:

Yeah that was his prior PC. If I recall the case was cracked but there was also an issue he had with the RAM.

I agree that it's disappointing how he disregards PC games that aren't AAA titles. Tons of great indie games come to PC every month and he never plays them, and likely won't unless they end up in a Patreon poll. For someone that runs a business playing games that's a ton of potential views that he isn't getting. Oh well that's his choice.

Couldn't agree more.

Something that Phil disapoints me is that he gives up too easily. Not in the sense that he quits YouTube but how he drops new things the minute complications arise. Hits of the week, PC gaming, green screen, live calls, and twitch. All of these things improved the quality or availability of his content but he uses a past bad experience to justify not doing it at all anymore instead of trying to find work arounds. In some cases I can understand these decisions but I absolutely hate the "It's not possible" excuse.

Hits of the Week ran for a month, far long enough to see if the interest warranted the time investment. It didn't.

PC Gaming I was never really "into" to begin with solely for capture purposes. Now that I've been on a new capture setup for 1.5 years, it's literally impossible without a massive sacrifice to quality (which negates the reason of playing the games on PC to begin with). Until I somehow make a ton of capital for a second PC to capture with, it just cannot happen. But for games that are NOT demanding, it's still possible (as shown with my recent Hearthstone vids).

Green screen is out of the question now because of copyright infringement abuse on YouTube, I've explained this one numerous times. I LOVED using it the two times I did, even had tons of stuff planned (HUGE Fallout 4 skits, even had props saved up for it) and that ALL went out the window with the abuse of YouTube's copyright system. I spent a LOT of time and money on the green screen and I'm NOT HAPPY about this, at all.

Live calls added almost nothing to the podcasts, were a huge risk, and as of early 2015 are impossible as my IP would be leaked. I was DDOS-attacked for months on and off, sorry, it's not worth it. Oh yeah - the podcast is over now, and the increase in vlogging to replace it has massively taken off.

Twitch? Really? I streamed there for 1.5 years before I decided to move on. NOT just because of a forced downgrade in quality, but many other reasons as I've previously discussed. There was no benefit to streaming there, as I didn't constantly advertise to get new subs, and the model I'm using now (YouTube/Patreon) is actually more profitable than anything I got from Twitch subs.

It's funny because every single example you gave is completely unwarranted....just saying. Calling a gaming YouTuber who's been around since 2008 and keeps at it, ESPECIALLY with what I've been through, a quitter??!?!? I'm anything BUT that.

• Upvote 2
20 minutes ago, Phil said:

Twitch? Really? I streamed there for 1.5 years before I decided to move on. NOT just because of a forced downgrade in quality, but many other reasons as I've previously discussed. There was no benefit to streaming there, as I didn't constantly advertise to get new subs, and the model I'm using now (YouTube/Patreon) is actually more profitable than anything I got from Twitch subs.

With Twitch I feel like you sacrificed exposure for higher quality streams on youtube, which may not even be warranted if people don't watch the streams at that quality. I don't know about everyone else but I still watch your videos in 360p or 720p personally. I think your audience would be much larger on Twitch, but that's just how I feel. You'd probably have more Patrons as a result.

Edited by KGhaleon
  • Upvote 8
35 minutes ago, Phil said:

Hits of the Week ran for a month, far long enough to see if the interest warranted the time investment. It didn't.

PC Gaming I was never really "into" to begin with solely for capture purposes. Now that I've been on a new capture setup for 1.5 years, it's literally impossible without a massive sacrifice to quality (which negates the reason of playing the games on PC to begin with). Until I somehow make a ton of capital for a second PC to capture with, it just cannot happen. But for games that are NOT demanding, it's still possible (as shown with my recent Hearthstone vids).

Green screen is out of the question now because of copyright infringement abuse on YouTube, I've explained this one numerous times. I LOVED using it the two times I did, even had tons of stuff planned (HUGE Fallout 4 skits, even had props saved up for it) and that ALL went out the window with the abuse of YouTube's copyright system. I spent a LOT of time and money on the green screen and I'm NOT HAPPY about this, at all.

Live calls added almost nothing to the podcasts, were a huge risk, and as of early 2015 are impossible as my IP would be leaked. I was DDOS-attacked for months on and off, sorry, it's not worth it. Oh yeah - the podcast is over now, and the increase in vlogging to replace it has massively taken off.

It's funny because every single example you gave is completely unwarranted....just saying. Calling a gaming YouTuber who's been around since 2008 and keeps at it, ESPECIALLY with what I've been through, a quitter??!?!? I'm anything BUT that.

First of all nothing I said was meant to be a criticism. But the "Out of the question' comments are exactly what I'm talking about. It's a defeatist attitude to take. That's what I'm talking about when I'm talking about giving up. Not being around.

And yes you have your reasons but their still excuses. Twitch. Lowering your quality slightly is not as big of a deal as you make it seem and as KG said it will get you more exposure. Live calls. I get that Skype is a risk but you made zero attempts to find a safe alternative. I myself had a couple live calls and a one on one conversation is the best way to understand each other. PC gaming. I get that running games and streaming is hard to do but why not do it offline? Now you're missing out on PC exclusives.

And the green screen is completely ridiculous considering you released the second rockathon is multiple parts. 

• Upvote 6

Graphical fidelity is one strength of PC gaming, but the other huge one is exclusives..many of which aren't going to be graphical monsters. As a Let's Player, it seems like something you should pursue even at the sake of PQ.

I think I've mentioned the green screen thing before, but I'll suggest it again. You could use gameplay footage or screen grabs from your gameplay for backgrounds ala Angry Joe. It would be at no greater risk of copyright issues than any video you release since it would contain the same material.

1 hour ago, KGhaleon said:

With Twitch I feel like you sacrificed exposure for higher quality streams on youtube, which may not even be warranted if people don't watch the streams at that quality. I don't know about everyone else but I still watch your videos in 360p or 720p personally. I think your audience would be much larger on Twitch, but that's just how I feel. You'd probably have more Patrons as a result.

I watched videos at 480p unless its something like BF4 chat reactions. Then I will do 720p

36 minutes ago, AshishAshLamps007 said:

Well, Phil himself just said he has benefited more after leaving Twitch. So bringing up Twitch is like beating up a dead horse.

Well, that is what this topic is about.

I would assume that now that he's been getting into Hearthstone, I would recommend he come back to twitch especially since Hearthstone is probably one of the most played games there right now. Granted it may be a tad bit difficult to get a huge following of viewers, especially since it's been dominated by some top tier Heartstone vanilla players lately. However, with DSP's following, he will have a headstart in the number of people tuned into his channel compared to someone who is just starting up. 

That along with what KGhaleon said in the post above. 

4 hours ago, AshishAshLamps007 said:

Well, Phil himself just said he has benefited more after leaving Twitch. So bringing up Twitch is like beating up a dead horse.

With respect - how? From what I've seen, the fan interaction is a lot better over there. Plus there's more options for customisation (emotes, name colour changes etc.).

He had quite a following over there and all of a sudden, he left. I don't care what excuses he gave - if he was still over there, I think he'd be in a better position. Just throwing in my five cents here. 

10 hours ago, Phil said:

That was quite loaded lol.

twitch is really bad guys 

13 hours ago, Phil said:

twitch is a scum company to be honest all they care about is money. you made the right decision but it sucks about the green screen.

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, ThatUniqueGuy said:

With respect - how? From what I've seen, the fan interaction is a lot better over there. Plus there's more options for customisation (emotes, name colour changes etc.).

He had quite a following over there and all of a sudden, he left. I don't care what excuses he gave - if he was still over there, I think he'd be in a better position. Just throwing in my five cents here. 

Fan interaction don't make it good, Youtube is far better imho as Twitch totally screwed Phil over with their monopolist attitude. Phil was meant to be a big player but the admins shut his channel down without even discussing it. Disgusting.

50 minutes ago, hardcoreparkour said:

Fan interaction don't make it good, Youtube is far better imho as Twitch totally screwed Phil over with their monopolist attitude. Phil was meant to be a big player but the admins shut his channel down without even discussing it. Disgusting.

Firstly - fan interaction's actually a good thing.

Secondly - I don't think it was as one sided as that. Perhaps Twitch wasn't the place for someone like Phil.

8 hours ago, ThatUniqueGuy said:

From my understanding it is quite literally, a money thing. Twitch takes a HUGE chunk of sub money. Its why in 99% of the twitch streams you see PayPal donation buttons and Amazon Wishlists. That's not to say people can't make money off of twitch. It just means that with DSP's audience he makes more doing Youtube streaming (Because Machinima actually pays him for that) where with Twitch he would make less. To put it simply: 1000 stream viewers on youtube gets him more money than 1000 stream viewers on twitch. If twitch paid more, I bet he may have considered going back at some point now that they actually have server capacity to allow HD streaming (thanks to Amazon's buyout). 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, hardcoreparkour said:

That's not what happened. They asked him to lower his bitrate and he refused and left.

• Upvote 2
3 hours ago, TraditionalGames said:

That's not what happened. They asked him to lower his bitrate and he refused and left.

^That's what i've heard. Pretty sure Phil even confirmed this.

Also, just my honest opinion here, if you're not interacting with anyone what's the point in streaming? You may as well prerecord it offline.

Edited by Nation
spelling
  • Upvote 5
  • Phil locked this topic