The King of Hate Forums
xtreemmasheen3k2

I hope "making funny faces" in "Phil Reacts" thumbnails don't become a regular thing

Like naming the video series "Phil reacts" kind of irked me the wrong way. I'm okay with Phil doing content about pop culture stuff etc. That's a format of which anyone can do.

And I am glad that Phil isn't just doing reaction videos where he has the video playing while him reacting live to it. That is what every else does. If he did it, it wouldn't just be making use of the format, but doing it because just because everyone else is doing it.

The kind of thumbnails that do annoy me are in 2 videos here:

I'm not gonna look for the video, but I'm fairly sure stuff like other Youtubers "making funny faces in the thumbnails" is probably something Phil has criticized other Youtubers for. And it's one aspect that agreed with him on. It's dumb, unnecessary, and oftentimes degrading. Now, I think he had a rather negative view on "react"-style videos in general at the time (again, feel free to disagree because I don't have the time or caring to go through all of his vlog videos. I think he called them "talking head" videos), but I disagreed with him there, and am okay with him making react videos.

But I don't want him to go that extra step and start feeling that he has start making thumbnails that go after the "making funny faces" demographic just because everyone else does it.

Not to say he can't have fun with the thumbnails, or can't ever look silly. I personally can make a distinction and feel stuff like the thumbnails in these videos are silly and funny in a good way:

Aviator shades. Classic. Universal sign of self-aware douchebaggery parody. Sign of "I don't care, I'm having fun".

Shredder helmet with sunglasses. Again, "I don't give a ****, I'm love the ninja turtles and am having fun". I'm assuming it's Shredder here, I don't know, I just watched the video, and couldn't find the frame the thumbnail is from.

And of course, this classic thumbnail, which became his Twitter pic for a long time.

It's silly, but to me, it says "F*** how anyone thinks I look right now, I love Sonic".

To me, the 2 recent ones I was annoyed by feel like they're saying "I'm trying to appeal to whatever demographic likes seeing funny faces in their videos". A bit more cynical than the ones I mentioned positively.

Now, I'm not gonna overblow this like saying that this is going to ruin Phil or anything. But I'm very much hoping this doesn't become a normal thing, because it feels rather cynical to me.

Edited by xtreemmasheen3k2

I don't really see those 2 as funny faces. They're more like representations of what his feelings are about something (like the BvS movie) or emphasize the topic at hand (like the Wii U rumor). If you want funny faces, just look at Lost Pause's or even RoosterTeeth's video thumbnails. Those are examples of funny faces that aren't really comparable to what you believe Phil's thumbnails are.

It's a pointless thread i.m.o.... That's just his face.

I think he wants to give us a brief idea about his thoughts. 

"Hey don't use funny faces as thumbnails" That really sounds dumb.

Edited by AshishAshLamps007
  • Upvote 1

On 3/29/2016 at 8:10 AM, AshishAshLamps007 said:

i have to disagree. i believe Phil is too mature for making silly faces, especially for a business, so this thread isnt pointless.

Phil have an instagram so he can upload and make silly faces there as much as he wants! 

On 5/5/2016 at 7:32 AM, BlonderSTS said:

i have to disagree. i believe Phil is too mature for making silly faces, especially for a business, so this thread isnt pointless.

Phil have an instagram so he can upload and make silly faces there as much as he wants! 

...Really?

• Upvote 1

On 3/29/2016 at 7:10 AM, AshishAshLamps007 said:

Amen to that! :cool:

• Upvote 1