Jump to content
The King of Hate Forums

A few questions about Phil's reviews.


Recommended Posts

28 minutes ago, Hazz3r said:

Getting rid of the number system also creates more intelligent discussion. Instead of, I think Uncharted 4 should have gotten a 2, it's "I think that point about the environments is debatable... and so on. "

 

True..it also might make some people who look for a number and that's it actually read a full review or watch a full review video instead.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"WTF is" are not reviews, they're a first impressions. Also, frankly, TB is far more articulate than DSP. He analyses games to a much great degree and needs a long time to express his feelings. I'll g

Completely false. My content exists and continues to exist because people have ads enabled, use my Amazon Associate link and pledge to my Patreon. Without those things, I'd be completely unable to cre

REALLY?!? So why where you saying earlier I was wrong about the Homefront Review for saying "I missed the point" (a point you never enlightened me of btw cause, like your most recent statement suggest

Posted Images

On 5/20/2016 at 10:03 PM, TraditionalGames said:

Here's something Phil can do. Give a game three review scores. One for production value, one for artistic value, and one for game design.

Now that would be ridiculous.

Review scores should be done away with altogether. Arbitrary scores should be beside the point anyway, it's just unfortunate that people put so much merit into them rather than the actual main body of a review.

"This was an excellent review that highlighted the game's positives and negatives in a succinct manner and really gave me an idea of what the game is like... But the score seems iffy compared to X, Y & Z so IT IS TRASH AND THIS REVIEWER IS TRASH!"

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Phil said:

Completely false. My content exists and continues to exist because people have ads enabled, use my Amazon Associate link and pledge to my Patreon. Without those things, I'd be completely unable to create said "free" content and would have to seek employment elsewhere. You may not necessarily be paying MONEY to see my videos, but you are in some way paying for it with time (watching ads or clicking the Amazon link) or through direct pledges.

FYI anything through the YouTube app, I supposedly get credit for, so thanks for that. But people who actively go to sites like YouTube/Twitch and run adblock ARE stealing. Those are businesses 100% dependent on ad revenue and to bypass that means you've actively chosen to withhold the money keeping the business running AWAY from the business, but still take the content regardless. It's the very definition of theft, and just because no laws have be written to prevent it (yet) doesn't mean it's not immoral and wrong.

 

ANYWAY, adblock and the like isn't the topic of discussion in this thread. I've addressed the OP as well as a few others. I'll leave the thread open in case anyone else would like to comment.

Why are you so anti adblock now? You seemed to have a different opinion on an old hate live. Also mobile is not 100% adblock free. At least on android you can use adblockers currently and that is without and sort of jail breaking. No idea if you would get credit for that or not. 

Edited by cooper
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, cooper said:

Why are you so anti adblock now? You seemed to have a different opinion on an old hate live. Also mobile is not 100% adblock free. At least on android you can use adblockers currently and that is without and sort of jail breaking. No idea if you would get credit for that or not. 

What are you talking about? He's always been against ad blocker. Remember when he used to stream on Twitch and ran ads? He literally told people to turn off ad blocker and went on a rant about it every now and then. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've always been anti-ad blocker and am 100% against ANYONE who uses adblocking software while consciously watching video content they know is monetized. That's CONSCIOUS theft, and just because nobody gets into trouble from it doesn't excuse anyone. It's not like this is Napster in the early 2000s, and the over-bloated, overcharging music industry, which scalped consumers for decades, was suddenly losing their undeserved money; these are individual content creators, some living paycheck to paycheck, being stolen from. 

If you actively choose to watch someone's video content, and it's monetized so they can make a living, that's an agreement: you watch the ad, they keep creating the content. Anything else is theft.

BUT ANYWAY, this is completely off-topic. If you want to continue the discussion, please create a separate thread from it and do NOT reply to this post. Thanks.

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I liked the review and think it is so popular because you went back and put a back story with footage. The editing helped a lot to make it interesting in proving the points you wanted to make.

That being said I think its unfair to call adblock users thieves. I first started using it on sites like yahoo with 1 min ads for 30 second videos.

Now that being said I understand your point. This is your job and not a hobby anymore so of course you would not support it. Just wish you didn't insult those that use it in certain situations.

Remember though there are some that think lets players are also thieves. That Fallout playthrough had some pretty good voice actors and someone had to pay for that. Pretty sure you aren't gonna kick back some profits.

Lets do it this way. Dance is an interpretive work but just today youtube blocked a video in its entirety based on an auto claim. So a person can't dance to a song but you can play games with just a voice over and profit from it? Not only that you can then profit from said game by saying don't buy it.

Lastly the internet is still young for the most part. Maybe one day adblock will become illegal as well using the excuse that talking over a video game with epic long stories makes it ok to profit.

BTW Im like a 20 year internet user now and have donated to adblock for full disclosure.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Can you really be a "Thief" if youtube videos are free? You can't exactly steal something that's free.

If you were using Adblock to get Youtube Red exclusive stuff somehow than the argument can be had but trying to argue that you are "stealing" something 100% free is completely different.

Makes you an arsehole sure, but i wouldn't say a thief. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Star said:

What are you talking about? He's always been against ad blocker. Remember when he used to stream on Twitch and ran ads? He literally told people to turn off ad blocker and went on a rant about it every now and then. 

That is complete bullshit lots of tweets and video proof is showing differently. He has changed his opinion many times on it. 

Edited by cooper
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Phil was never pro adblock, but when he was in a view based contract he didn't care quite as much because using adblock didn't really affect him. Now that he's in an ad revenue based contract he's going to be more vocal about it because it does affect his paycheck. But he was never in favor of it, except for maybe one tweet back when YouTube Red was announced. But that was more anti-YouTube than pro-adblock. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WazerWifle said:

Phil was never pro adblock, but when he was in a view based contract he didn't care quite as much because using adblock didn't really affect him. Now that he's in an ad revenue based contract he's going to be more vocal about it because it does affect his paycheck. But he was never in favor of it, except for maybe one tweet back when YouTube Red was announced. But that was more anti-YouTube than pro-adblock. 

He was neutral before and even suggested he understands why people use it. Long 3 minutes ads on youtube before a video are annoying and not necessary. I was not trying to suggest he was ever pro adblock, but he was never so against it until his contract/youtube changed apparently. 

Edited by cooper
Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, cooper said:

He was neutral before and even suggested he understands why people use it. Long 3 minutes ads on youtube before a video are annoying and not necessary. I was not trying to suggest he was ever pro adblock, but he was never so against it until his contract/youtube changed apparently. 

As I said before, he was always against people using it but he understood it. He just never really spoke out about it until now because it didn't have an affect on him until his contract was renegotiated.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Phil said:

I've always been anti-ad blocker and am 100% against ANYONE who uses adblocking software while consciously watching video content they know is monetized. That's CONSCIOUS theft, and just because nobody gets into trouble from it doesn't excuse anyone. It's not like this is Napster in the early 2000s, and the over-bloated, overcharging music industry, which scalped consumers for decades, was suddenly losing their undeserved money; these are individual content creators, some living paycheck to paycheck, being stolen from. 

If you actively choose to watch someone's video content, and it's monetized so they can make a living, that's an agreement: you watch the ad, they keep creating the content. Anything else is theft.

BUT ANYWAY, this is completely off-topic. If you want to continue the discussion, please create a separate thread from it and do NOT reply to this post. Thanks.

 

Hey @Static Veins sorry I know you want to keep the thread on topic but let me put my 2 cents in since I ignited this ad conversation and I've been gone on vacation for a couple of days.

Firstly, @Phil didn't know you were on an ad-based revenue program, I though you were still purely views. I will add you to my adblocker ignore list just to support you. BUT you and I can agree theres a lot of BS on the internet that I don't want to see. Hell, when you download Google Chrome it COMES WITH ADBLOCK. Its not THEFT to use adblock. It's not illegal for me to not want to see tampon commercials or whatever bullshit ad that doesn't apply to me on a YouTube video, ITS UP TO THE CONTENT CREATOR, to be entertaining enough to want me to support them...Its not 2011-12' where Youtubers can put out BULLSHIT and make $8,000 a month, them wild wild west days are over and its time for creators to step up...

Like Phil LOOK AT THIS...I'm currently on your Street Fighter playthrough..a 107 video playlist full of 2-3 minute videos and this comes up as SOON AS I DISABLE ADBLOCK:

2.png

REALLY?!? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?

15 minutes at that?!? Pffft..

So no @Phil its not stealing. I'm using my resources to not deal with this kind of shit. Like I said, rarely ever watch a full game playthrough of yours cause I don't have the time, but days like this when I'm straight off vacation, doing work on one screen and have your playthrough running on another...I shouldn't have to deal with this cause of the format certain Youtubers put there videos on just to maximize profits...It reeks of desperation. 

Like I said, your added to the disable adblock list just so I can support you. But saying using adblock is stealing? Ridiculous, when theres this type of shit to deal with.

EDIT: I know people are going to be like..."Oh why don't you just skip the ad?" NO. The program I'm using right now and all the games I play reqire full screen on one monitor while i'll have a podcast or in this case Phil's videos running on the other. I have to alt-tab out to do anything on the second monitor...SO EVERY 2-3 MINUTES I EITHER DEAL WITH THE AD OR ALT TAB OUT. RIDICULOUS.

Edited by SilkyEnigma
  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

^ You're clearly a exception, if ads are skippable like that there's no excuse for using adblock for most people. You're watching content for free and complain about waiting a measly 5 seconds? Come on.

Edited by onorub
  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, onorub said:

^ You're clearly a exception, if ads are skippable like that there's no excuse for using adblock for most people. You're watching content for free and complain about waiting a measly 5 seconds? Come on.

I would just like to point out that I heard that clicking the skip button apparently negates ad revenue.

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, TraditionalGames said:

I would just like to point out that I heard that clicking the skip button apparently negates ad revenue.

This was my understanding as well. That there's some kind of time limit or something like that so if the viewer skips the ad too early it doesn't "count"

Link to post
Share on other sites

yeah well, guess no one has any more questions since this topic got massively derailed despite Phil and mods reminding to keep on topic. final word is the scoring system works fine that's why it's been used for all reviews. comparison of games on numbers is normal so get used to it.

On 5/22/2016 at 6:48 AM, Phil said:

 

BUT ANYWAY, this is completely off-topic. If you want to continue the discussion, please create a separate thread from it and do NOT reply to this post. Thanks.

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bailey_Dakota said:

yeah well, guess no one has any more questions since this topic got massively derailed despite Phil and mods reminding to keep on topic. final word is the scoring system works fine that's why it's been used for all reviews. comparison of games on numbers is normal so get used to it.

>Refer to my previous comment to see why that statement is not great.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Bailey_Dakota said:

yeah well, guess no one has any more questions since this topic got massively derailed despite Phil and mods reminding to keep on topic. final word is the scoring system works fine that's why it's been used for all reviews. comparison of games on numbers is normal so get used to it.

On any other forum I frequent, threads get derailed all the time. Most of the time, no one cares or notices. The conversation just goes wherever it goes..a lot like normal conversations tend to do. This is the only forum I've used that gets threads locked because they're "off topic". Does an "off topic" thread truly negatively effect this or any forum? If a thread is no longer on topic and it stops being of interest to you, you can simply not return to it. Organic conversation is vital to a healthy forum and policing that is much more detrimental than any thread "derailment" could be.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Bailey_Dakota said:

yeah well, guess no one has any more questions since this topic got massively derailed despite Phil and mods reminding to keep on topic. final word is the scoring system works fine that's why it's been used for all reviews. comparison of games on numbers is normal so get used to it.

I second that!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Back on the scoring system.

Honestly as much as giving games a random number at the end of a review does more harm than good (for the reasons i stated before), i honestly don't get the 0.XX increments. "7.1", "5.8" and any review that adds a decimal seems silly enough as it is but giving a game like a "6.25" or a "8.75" just seems even more ridiculous to me.

Next we'll be getting reviews that score a game "7.285". Are the extra decimals needed? You can defend X.5 by saying it's bang on between 2 numbers (which is kinda stupid imo because you then pick one but mention it was a hard choice between the two) but how do you realistically explain to someone why a game is say "6.25" and not just "6"?

At that point it's just splitting hairs and being extra for the sake of being extra.

Edited by Nation
Formatting
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nation said:

"7.1", "5.8" and any review that adds a decimal seems silly enough as it is but giving a game like a "6.25" or a "8.75" just seems even more ridiculous to me.

You realise the former is more ridiculous than the latter? The former splits each number into 10 incremental parts, the latter splits it into 4 parts.

Edited by Hazz3r
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...