The King of Hate Forums
TraditionalGames

Games no one heard of

A couple years ago I got in the habit of collecting games in the used game section that I never heard of to try something adventurous. Some of them were great and some were shit. Have you ever had the honor or displeasure to play something that fell under the radar? Share it with us! Let us know if it's something we should try to avoid.

Geist. I originally saw this on an episode of cheat. A very, very old show on G4. It's a Gamecube exclusive where you play as a ghost that gets pulled out of your body. It's a very interesting puzzle game where you have to posses people to escape certain situations and return to your body. But in order to posses someone they have to be scared. Which is why you need to posses objects. For example if someone is standing next to a paint can you can posses it and make it explode. The whole aspect of manipulating the environment is very interesting. It also doubles as a first person shooter if you're possessing a solider and you'll even be fighting giant monsters. Highly underrated due to frame rate issues.

Spy Fiction. Brace yourself. The gameplay is 100% ripoff of Metal Gear. It even copied the inventory and the signature "!" effect. There's absolutely nothing unique. But despite that I love this game. Imagine a light hearted Metal Gear. That's what this game is. And I love it.

Die Hard Vendetta. Avoid this one. One of the worst games I ever played. Let me give you some perspective. The second level or so. You have to go into a clothing store that's being hold up. You need to sneak in undetected and grab one of the guys from behind. Everyone else will drop their weapons. You then need to strafe over to them while holding the hostage to pick up their weapons before dropping the hostage. You then need to integrate them until you get the information you need. There's a disguise in the store that you need to pick up and put on. Go out back and take out the gang in the ally. Go into the back of a sports store and take out the person holding the cashier hostage. You'll find a pool membership card in the store. Then you need to go into the pool club with the gang members disguise, show the card, and relay the information you got from the integration to get it. Then it's an all out war on a gang. One of them as a key. take that key to the theater to get to the next level.

If you do ANY of that in the wrong order it's mission failed. and it never what you have to do or what you did wrong when you fail. It just gives you a street with buildings and expects you to figure it out yourself. Not to mention the stealth, gunplay, and controls are terrible.

Stratosphere: Conquest of the skies was a game I played when I was a kid, which I doubt most people even remember or heard of. You built floating islands and equip them to battle other island fortresses.

There was also Dark side of the moon, an adventure game with live acting(ugh) that I played as a kid:

I mentioned it like 3 or 4 times on this forum already but....

Live A Live

I should show a video but meh, most of the videos (as little as there is) have commentary over them.

It also has an excellent fanmade game called Touhou A Live and that is the closest thing we will ever get to a sequel for Live A Live. :P

Arx-fatalis_box.thumb.jpg.ba49d5fef21e70

Arx Fatalis - this was a pretty great game. It's a first-person RPG game similar to Morrowind or Dark Messiah of Might and Magic. It had a fun interesting story, cool puzzles, decent combat and an overall solid atmosphere.

Drakensang_-_The_Dark_Eye_Coverart.thumb

Drakensang - this was another good RPG but this time third-person. When I first played this I thought it felt like the prototype of Dragon Age Origins. It has the same medieval setting and plenty of micromanagement in terms of inventory and combat, allowing you to approach battles in multiple ways and build a personalized squad of heroes. I remember sinking in a lot of hours into this game.

Darksector.thumb.jpg.e470dbbe9bfc55df5a4

Dark Sector - this was a third-person shooter action game. If you enjoyed Resident Evil 4 or Shadows of the Damned I think you'd really enjoy this game. I found the combat to be very solid and had fun all the way through.

- Indigo Prophecy (AKA Fahrenheit 911). A great game that a lot of people don't know about (in my experience). Give it a try, you won't be disappointed.

Here's a game that I've almost never seen on YouTube that I do like, despite its flaws.

It's an RPG set in World War 2 that changes up history with fantasy lore like vampires and werewolves. The game has a Fire Emblem vibe to it, but changes it up to make it different. Despite the graphics (can be an actual problem at times), it's a fun game and history buffs will love it as actual events from WW2 will be referenced and experienced (in some way)

256px-Operationdarknessna.jpg

Edited by SilentWarrior25

Here's a game that I've almost never seen on YouTube that I do like, despite its flaws.

It's an RPG set in World War 2 that changes up history with fantasy lore like vampires and werewolves. The game has a Fire Emblem vibe to it, but changes it up to make it different. Despite the graphics (can be an actual problem at times), it's a fun game and history buffs will love it as actual events from WW2 will be referenced and experienced (in some way)

http://thekingofhate.com/forums/uploads/monthly_2015_01/256px-Operationdarknessna.jpg.dbabe6648fbaecfb213a114510dca43d.jpg

​I've been wanting this for years. But it's like 80 bucks on Amazon. :\

Armed and Dangerous on the original Xbox. Loved that game when it came out. Mechanically it's not the best third person shooter but any game with a gun that shoots sharks, and a tea drinking British robot is fine by me. The weapons were great in this game!

sharkgun.jpg

I've been playing a bunch of Europa Universalis 4 Fucking love that game (I don't see much of it on YouTube)

Paradox is crack; I'm on Crusaders King II myself and it's just addicting.  I've seen plenty of Lets Plays for these games, but they're all screen shots in forums because, quite frankly, video format would just be tedious to watch.  The games are great though, I agree with you 100% on that.​

ADOM.  Best game I've ever played.

You mentioning ADOM reminds me of another fun RL; http://doom.chaosforge.org/downloads.  Seriously, do yourselves a favor and get on this, super addicting action.

You mentioning ADOM reminds me of another fun RL; http://doom.chaosforge.org/downloads.  Seriously, do yourselves a favor and get on this, super addicting action.

​Well, it's quite possible there are other roguelikes that kick ADOM's ass, but i'm not sure i'll ever know.  These games have such a steep learning curve (even with spoilers) that I feel like my life doesn't have room for more than one.  I'll keep the suggestion in mind though.

​Well, it's quite possible there are other roguelikes that kick ADOM's ass, but i'm not sure i'll ever know.  These games have such a steep learning curve (even with spoilers) that I feel like my life doesn't have room for more than one.  I'll keep the suggestion in mind though.

​Completely understand where you're coming from; that's why I recommend DoomRL.  The bar for entry is no where on par with the other ones, it's quick to pick up; easy controls (you can use a mouse) and moves at a fairly good pace.  Plus it has nice tilesets to go with it and a slew of in game achievements and challenges to add to.  Seriously, it's worth a shot to check out.

​Completely understand where you're coming from; that's why I recommend DoomRL.  The bar for entry is no where on par with the other ones, it's quick to pick up; easy controls (you can use a mouse) and moves at a fairly good pace.  Plus it has nice tilesets to go with it and a slew of in game achievements and challenges to add to.  Seriously, it's worth a shot to check out.

​Fwiw, ADOM can be mouse-controlled since a year or two ago (it's awful though, much prefer the keyboard). :)

Mobile Armor (2002)

I have found only one playthrough of this game. Probably with good reason, as it is not the best game in terms of controls, variety, and graphics. Boring and frustrating, mainly due to the poor controls.

Mobile Armor [U] [SLUS-01469]-front.jpg

I never would've heard of Evil Zone if it wasn't for Retsupurae. I actually tracked down a copy and played through it. It's a fighting game with a really bizarre combat system where there's only one attack button and you change attacks based on what direction you're holding down and how far away you are from your opponent. Also, the AI is utterly broken and loves to turtle (except for Kakurine who just teleport spams), and the whole game is full of bad translations (like a werewolf being called Licanslope instead of Lycanthrope) and instances where the voice actor's pronunciation of a word isn't the same as what's written (especially bad with Gally "Vanish/Banish" Gregman, Danzaiver/Danzaiber and Ihadulca/Ihadurca). However, it has an interesting cast of characters (a mage, a ninja, a schoolgirl accompanied by a spirit, an onmyoji, a bounty hunter, a punk rocker being gradually taken over by a satanic sword, and more), and despite the story being incomprehensible garbage, it's presented in an interesting way where it's treated as a new anime series, with each fight being an episode, each story having a title, and each fight ending with a preview for the next "episode". It's also got some surprisingly big name voice actors in it (namely Jon St. John and Paul Eiding).

Evil_Zone.jpg

Here's a whole sequence of games you probably won't have heard of: first-person shooters on the amiga.  Also highlights an era of programming discipline that was very different from today.  The rest of the channel is worth watching as well.  (maybe a mod could make this a video embed, I don't know how to do it or if it's bugged still)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv6aJRGpz_A

I remember playing this game when I was little. Cool action platformer, however I got stuck somewhere and wasn't able to make progress.

That shit happened a lot to me pre-internet/youtube.