The King of Hate Forums

Dead Rising 1 PT

Aceman

I played Dead Rising 1 before I ever made a video for YouTube...I was clueless about the game, hated the controls, RAGED at how ridiculous the AI was and how difficult some of the bosses were. Quit after just a few hours. I was a LOT less patient back then, lol.

It'll definitely be fun to experience this legitimately for the first time.

18 hours ago, Aceman said:

Anyone excited? I hope Phil tries to beat all the psychos since the AI is really bad in this game so saving survivors shouldn't take priority. Once he beats the clown boss those chainsaws can take him through the whole game. 

I would agree about the survivors if it weren't for one thing. The only way to get the true ending of the game is to rescue all the survivors in addition to completing the story missions within the time limit. Which means completing every mission and side mission in the game. It's tough, but doable.

I'm very interested in this playthrough, Dead Rising was one of my favorite games during the 360 era. I admittedly cheesed through my first time completing the story with the aforementioned chainsaw strategy but I did play through several times without them and the game was really just a blast each one. There's nothing quite like whooping on zombies with various martial arts and wrestling moves lol. Hopefully Dsp has fun with it too, I vaguely recall watching him play DR 3 and I'm pretty sure he liked it overall.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, CannonFodder said:

Hardcore gaming season is starting  kinda slow. Nothing but remixes,  a few sequels and 1 or 2 new ips.

This gen has been pretty disappointing imo. A lot of rehashes, remasters and sequels. I feel like we haven't had a really good new IP in a long time.

6 hours ago, Phil said:

Started out exactly as I figured it would. I'm thinking perhaps I should do a quick run of the game ONLY hitting up the main story, then doing it again trying to save everyone as New Game+ w/abilities, weapons and such. Guess we'll see how it goes today.

thats kinda cheesing the game though.  like dr1 you arent expected to save every survivor and im not saying you have too but the point of saving survivors in the game is to do something in between story missions to fill in the time.  its meant to not only do that but to level up frank and for you to get new ideas where to go.  you are going to die a lot because well this is your first playthrough.  i had to fight carlito the first time 3 times because i died after the 3rd time i found out easy ways to navigate the mall and so on.  honestly i think rushing through the game to get the new game plus isnt going to make the game any less frustrating.

43 minutes ago, GiantEnemyShit said:

thats kinda cheesing the game though.  like dr1 you arent expected to save every survivor and im not saying you have too but the point of saving survivors in the game is to do something in between story missions to fill in the time.  its meant to not only do that but to level up frank and for you to get new ideas where to go.  you are going to die a lot because well this is your first playthrough.  i had to fight carlito the first time 3 times because i died after the 3rd time i found out easy ways to navigate the mall and so on.  honestly i think rushing through the game to get the new game plus isnt going to make the game any less frustrating.

I'm not saying that I'm not going to save anyone. I'm saying that it's not top priority: simply beating the story is, and when there's dead time I'll save people. I strongly recommend you watch today's session as that's exactly what I did: progressed smoothly when I needed to, then used dead time to save random people and level up.

19 minutes ago, Phil said:

I'm not saying that I'm not going to save anyone. I'm saying that it's not top priority: simply beating the story is, and when there's dead time I'll save people. I strongly recommend you watch today's session as that's exactly what I did: progressed smoothly when I needed to, then used dead time to save random people and level up.

So pretty much just doing a straight playthrough of the story (if that) then when finished you might turn around and save 1 or 2 people till your done with the game. Gotya.

Doesn't matter to me, I don't watch your gameplays anyways.. but I would imagine those that do will be slightly annoyed. Can't satisfy everyone.

1 hour ago, Phil said:

ah ok i was going in and out of the stream i saw the carlito fight which was kinda funny watching you rage at it but i understand that sniper was ridiculous lol. 

2 hours ago, CannonFodder said:

So pretty much just doing a straight playthrough of the story (if that) then when finished you might turn around and save 1 or 2 people till your done with the game. Gotya.

Doesn't matter to me, I don't watch your gameplays anyways.. but I would imagine those that do will be slightly annoyed. Can't satisfy everyone.

No, not at all. If you don't watch my videos, why are you here? Because we don't need another person to just be a negative dick about everything. People watching actually enjoyed that I was putting in effort to save people (I saved 4-5 today between the story) instead of JUST the story. But you wouldn't know that, because "you don't watch the videos" but still comment completely uneducated stuff like this.

That Carlito fight made me legit laugh out loud. When he got shot and got flung back that was just too much lmao. It also puts into perspective how hard this game is if you try to charge through it without leveling and or using the best wep0ns. Still a gem of the early Xbox 360 era, Imo. 

Edited by Avarice

1 hour ago, Avarice said:

That Carlito fight made me legit laugh out loud. When he got shot and got flung back that was just too much lmao. It also puts into perspective how hard this game is if you try to charge through it without leveling and or using the best wep0ns. Still a gem of the early Xbox 360 era, Imo. 

Happened twice, and both times flew me backwards over the ledge onto the ground floor. Those early Xbox 360 physics FTW.

after tonights stream something in phil's commentary is starting to get rather obnoxious. when phil says "how can people like this game?" and the other variations people liked this game because it made you decide how to approach each game what are you going to do during the missions etc.  theres tons of moments where the game forces you to think how to go about it.  the boss fights arent broken at all you just have to find a way to beat them.  games these days barely challenge the player like dead rising does.  this also the reason some people are disappointed in the changes in DR4.  but phil please stop saying in a angry obnoxious tone "why people like this game" just because you are having a hard time does it mean the game is broken or whatever it just means you arent good at the game and thats not a bad thing to admit either im not a pro at dead rising either but im willing to deal with the challenge.  you need to handle this anger you have because its a tendency im starting to notice more and more with each playthrough when you hit a difficult section.

The game is broken at a fundamental level. Cover works then suddenly doesn't, the camera goes wonky and you lose your aim, I KEEP ROLLING when I've never double-tapped a thumbstick in over 3 hours of playing. There was insane clipping where I was floating over zombies. When your game has fundamental issues with its own rules, it is by definition a broken game.

You can say "but it makes the game more challenging!" but that's a bullshit cop-out. When you design a game, you should have boss fights and mechanics that are consistent and in-line with all of the gameplay up to that point. Not stuff that suddenly stops working, blatant headshots that do 2% damage, and the like. Just because YOU LIKED IT when it was new because you replayed it a million times, found ways AROUND the broken shit and eventually prevailed, doesn't make it any less broken fundamentally. You're essentially asking me to censor myself and NOT call out the bullshit that I see, and that's something I'll never do.

If you listen to people who are seeing this game for the first time, they're blatantly agreeing with me. It's only those who are long-time fans of this game that are saying anything negative in response to my comments. Just because you have nostalgic love for a game doesn't mean it's beyond criticism. For example: Street Fighter II (the original version) was a buggy, BROKEN, unbalanced mess and although I love the series and where it eventually got in future versions, I wholeheartedly ADMIT that the game was a broken mess. If I staunchly disagreed with anyone who said that still being a fan of that original, broken version was illogical, I'd be incredibly biased. But sadly, most people don't hold themselves up to those kinds of standards, I guess.

1 hour ago, Phil said:

Cover works then suddenly doesn't,

You mean the part in the gun store where the guy came around and shot you around he little display you were behind because you were sticking out from behind it?

1 hour ago, Phil said:

I KEEP ROLLING when I've never double-tapped a thumbstick in over 3 hours of playing.

Not only I have played this game a few times but I've watched several other people play it. You are the only person I have seen have this issue. If not only I didn't have this problem but no one I've watched play it did I have to assume you're doing something that's being registered as a double tap.

1 hour ago, Phil said:

blatant headshots that do 2% damage

Phil, the handgun just does shit damage. There are better guns in the game.

Hell I'll even do you a favor. Here's a recipe guide for all the mixed drinks in the game. https://www.gamefaqs.com/xbox360/928326-dead-rising/faqs/45053

• Upvote 1

I hope Phil doesn't actually believe what he typed. Cause its nonsense.

The game isn't broken, the game is 10 years old and is a Capcom arcade style 3D zombie game. I don't know what kind of "realism" you're expecting out a game that is about 1,000's of undead zombies walking around a mall while a photographer uses creative methods to kill or subdue them.

I don't see the point of "calling out" the developers of a 10 year old game when they're about to drop the 4th revision of it. Its unnecessary, quite annoying as the bread and butter of your commentary, and beyond pointless this many years too late.

You're trying to set a high bar for essentially a tongue and cheek game and complaining about it not being able to reach it, when in fact it sounds like you need to either buy a new controller or play better. There will always be glitches in video games, that is just within the nature of the games of today, but to sit here and say a game that was a new IP be a top 25 best selling game on the XBOX 360 and spawn a series that would sell over 5 million copies "fundamentally broken" and has "garbage game design" is just pure misinformation.

But if you're not going to clean up your act, at least respect the game developers and not call their game that's a best seller "garbage", after all, you are getting paid for their hard work they've put into making it.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Phil said:

The game is broken at a fundamental level. Cover works then suddenly doesn't, the camera goes wonky and you lose your aim, I KEEP ROLLING when I've never double-tapped a thumbstick in over 3 hours of playing. There was insane clipping where I was floating over zombies. When your game has fundamental issues with its own rules, it is by definition a broken game.

You can say "but it makes the game more challenging!" but that's a bullshit cop-out. When you design a game, you should have boss fights and mechanics that are consistent and in-line with all of the gameplay up to that point. Not stuff that suddenly stops working, blatant headshots that do 2% damage, and the like. Just because YOU LIKED IT when it was new because you replayed it a million times, found ways AROUND the broken shit and eventually prevailed, doesn't make it any less broken fundamentally. You're essentially asking me to censor myself and NOT call out the bullshit that I see, and that's something I'll never do.

If you listen to people who are seeing this game for the first time, they're blatantly agreeing with me. It's only those who are long-time fans of this game that are saying anything negative in response to my comments. Just because you have nostalgic love for a game doesn't mean it's beyond criticism. For example: Street Fighter II (the original version) was a buggy, BROKEN, unbalanced mess and although I love the series and where it eventually got in future versions, I wholeheartedly ADMIT that the game was a broken mess. If I staunchly disagreed with anyone who said that still being a fan of that original, broken version was illogical, I'd be incredibly biased. But sadly, most people don't hold themselves up to those kinds of standards, I guess.

no i am currently playing DR1 for the first time and its not broken.  you only consider it broken because you are not good at its mechanics and the other thing during the second carlito boss you kept saying "finding guns is cheating and not how the devs intended" but thats exactly what the game intended.  DR1 is not only about those missions its also about exploring and finding secret weapons etc.  thats not cheating its not like putting in codes to get weapons.  you have been making DR1 needlessly hard for yourself.  if it was a unbalanced mess there wouldnt be sequels. 

11 hours ago, Phil said:

There was insane clipping where I was floating over zombies.

Does anyone know which part this happened in or even where in the specific video? I want to see it for myself because I'm wondering if it might be the ability you get from leveling up that allows you to move across the top of a group of zombies by stepping on their heads or shoulders and you simply mistook it for clipping and floating over them. If it is a glitch though, then I want to see it cause that's quite a glitch and very surprising that it'd be in the remaster when I've never heard of it happening in the original release.

11 hours ago, Phil said:

I KEEP ROLLING when I've never double-tapped a thumbstick in over 3 hours of playing.

Have to agree with VaultHunter above, I've never had any trouble with accidentally rolling when I played it on the Xbox 360 and I don't recall ever hearing anyone complain about it before either. I don't even think I saw many people speak of accidentally rolling, so I'm at a loss for why its such an issue for you. Much like the "clipping" you mentioned, it would be bizarre for a remastered port to suddenly have such glaring bugs that weren't in the original. I can only think that in both cases, but espeically this rolling one, that it is operator error. It is by far the most likely answer.

22 minutes ago, GiantEnemyShit said:

i accidentally roll in DR1 but i only do it when i panic or try to rush certain parts.  its not the game its the player phil.

Does it happen often? It might be that it has been too long since I've popped in DR, but I really don't remember accidentally rolling any after I got a hang of the controls. It seemed a bit difficult to do unless you meant to. Maybe I just got lucky cause I'm not above panicking and mashing buttons

I think I will go play the original some today when I get home from work. All this talk has gotten me in the mood for it again.