The King of Hate Forums
lourat

A question of constructive criticism versus negativity

I am wondering what the final word is on 'negativity'.

An impression has developed around Phil, rightly or wrongly, that he cannot take criticism, or that he pigeon-holes anyone remotely critical into the 'hater' category.

If it isn't true, I think he should venture to disprove it.

I've said a few critical things in the past.  I'm not a hater.  I mostly like the content, and i like it -in spite of- the flaws, not because of them.

Any time i've criticised, it has come from a place of wanting to see Phil still doing what he does five years from now.  It's because I feel ultimately that what he is doing is hurting HIM.  It is well-meant.

I know that is not the case for all people.  I know that some people are impolite, they come across as jeering, snot-nosed, bullying kids.  Even when they're right, that rightness gets lost among the fact that they come off looking worse than the person they're critical of, a bunch of no-lifers riding on his infamy.

I empaphise with how negativity could be incredibly wearing.  If people are camped out on ones' virtual front porch, going over every foible and peccadillo with a fine tooth-comb and upbraiding one for it.  I can see how that could sting like an annoying gnat, and cause one to lash out.

I can empathise with a need for positive feedback, a desire to hear signs that what you're doing is appreciated or making a difference.

But my advice is, know who your friends are.

Phil has sometimes presented a 'my way or the high way', or 'if you don't like it, leave' mentality.  This is black & white thinking.  There's no nuance, and no room for a middle-of-the-road, disgruntled but-still-a-fan fan.  He calls it 'white noise'.  I think it's time to get a hearing test.  There are a lot of critical but well-meaning supporters in your midst.  Please don't drive them away.

I think this forum takes the right policy, at least, in 'quarantining' the more critical stuff, so Phil can look at it in small doses (if he does at all), and still have a place to come to to find positive reinforcement.

That is all.

keep in mind, phil is playing a character, its a running gag pretending to not know what to do at games, pretending to get angry at every little thing etc

sure, its also part of phils real character. or at least thats my impression, but lets be real here, most of it is an act.

if he real made the "white noice" comment, you cant tell me thats not a dead giveaway thats an act? what real person would talk like that?

phil made "angry gaming" cool before it was cool.

but to anwer your first question what s the final word on negativity, i d say for phil negativity is any critisism that isnt welcome.

you might ask youtself "but normally critisism is not welcomed, pleasent etc"

well, it is what it is.

keep in mind, phil is playing a character, its a running gag pretending to not know what to do at games, pretending to get angry at every little thing etc

sure, its also part of phils real character. or at least thats my impression, but lets be real here, most of it is an act.

if he real made the "white noice" comment, you cant tell me thats not a dead giveaway thats an act? what real person would talk like that?

but to anwer your first question what s the final word on negativity, i d say for phil negativity is any critisism that isnt welcome.

well, it is what it is.

​I don't believe it's an act.  If it is an act, he's in the wrong career, because he could be making a lot of money out of acting. :)

• Upvote 1

well, it is what it is.

​You do realize that he has never once accidentally broke character and he's also legit blocked people and banned them from his forums because of criticism, correct? I understand you're a fan, but you are in serious denial on this subject.

• Upvote 3

well, it is what it is.

​If it's part of his character to call people (I.e. his fans) "Fucking stupid" and "Mental" among MANY other things then I don't think that's a very good character since it obviously has had a negative impact on his career and caused his business to decline.

I don't believe it is acting and I doubt many others do as well.

I do sometimes wonder if the real Phil has always been and still is the irreverent character epitomized by the 'friend's request ridicule' videos.  Whether the small changes toward a more polite, affable, sympathetic Phil are genuine, or whether it's strained forbearance and he's really the same guy inside, and he only started displaying changes when it started hurting him in the wallet.

Whether his lashing out at people is a show of frustration at being harried, or if it's out of contempt for viewers and his taking them for granted.  He once called me 'some idiot' because I said something he didn't agree with.  I wasn't offended by it, I find the Phil 'character' entertaining warts and all, but I wonder what it does for him when other people are on the receiving end of that kind of treatment (and I know he's said far worse than that).  Some people really are asking for it, but not everyone is.

And lastly I do wonder if he meant it quite literally when he explained the 'king of hate' monicker.  Whether he genuinely finds being hated to be a driving force, rather than such an idea being a post-hoc rationalisation to turn negative feelings into positive ones.  Whether his psychological need for negative attention surpasses any financial consideration until it presents an immediate threat.  Whether he feels empowered when goading people's negative reactions, and doesn't know what to do with himself when he isn't receiving them.  Whether he is truly bewildered by the ire he has drawn from people, or if it was the plan all along.

• Upvote 1

well, it is what it is.

​There are people who STILL think Phil is playing a character? Really? In 2015? I can maybe see people believing that in 2009 but after all of these years, people still honestly believe it's all just an act? I'm absolutely blown away right now if that's a serious post. And it seemed like it was.

You also probably believe we never really landed on the moon, either.

• Upvote 1

And lastly I do wonder if he meant it quite literally when he explained the 'king of hate' monicker.  Whether he genuinely finds being hated to be a driving force, rather than such an idea being a post-hoc rationalisation to turn negative feelings into positive ones.  Whether his psychological need for negative attention surpasses any financial consideration until it presents an immediate threat.  Whether he feels empowered when goading people's negative reactions, and doesn't know what to do with himself when he isn't receiving them.  Whether he is truly bewildered by the ire he has drawn from people, or if it was the plan all along.

I don't think he finds it a driving force. I think the hate has just been a constant all his life because of the way he acts and he refuses to change that, so eventually he just accepted that's the way it's going to be, with him being hated on - and just turned it into a little online nickname that I guess became catchy for him. It's not a need for attention as much as it is him believing he's right in any given situation, leading him to backlash against anyone calling him out. Arguing with "haters", arguing with others in the FGC, calling people names, blocking people left and right after dubbing them all idiots. ​What I don't understand about the whole "King of Hate" moniker is that he said something in a video once that he has always been hated on during almost every point in his life - whether it was at school, in college, at a job, in the fighting game community, at fighting game events, on youtube, etc. And that's why he wanted the moniker of the King of Hate. That's obviously not the whole story but you get the gist of it and how much he has been "hated on" in life. I just don't understand how at some point in his life, he didn't stop to think... "you know, people are hating on me in almost everything I do. Is it really just them? Do I really have that much bad luck that I run into nothing but assholes in my day-to-day life... or is it me, my attitude, my actions and the way that I act with others that causes the hate?" It just seems like he never gave that some thought. Because if he did, he would've changed the way he acts with people and he wouldn't have been hated on nearly as much as he has been in his life. But maybe I shouldn't be surprised that he never gave that some thought. From what I've seen in his years and years of online posts/videos, Phil has always had an "I'm right and you're wrong" personality in life. He would blame others before ever placing blame on himself.

Just look at the way he blames games for his failures, for not knowing the controls or how a game works and so on (and no, it is not an act when he blames the game). Or the way he'll blame the haters for all eternity if he ends up not being able to do this for a living anymore. Instead of actually reflecting about the things he could have changed or done differently. The sort of things the haters were/are telling him to stop doing.

• Upvote 2

I don't think he finds it a driving force. I think the hate has just been a constant all his life because of the way he acts and he refuses to change that, so eventually he just accepted that's the way it's going to be, with him being hated on - and just turned it into a little online nickname that I guess became catchy for him. It's not a need for attention as much as it is him believing he's right in any given situation, leading him to backlash against anyone calling him out. Arguing with "haters", arguing with others in the FGC, calling people names, blocking people left and right after dubbing them all idiots. ​What I don't understand about the whole "King of Hate" moniker is that he said something in a video once that he has always been hated on during almost every point in his life - whether it was at school, in college, at a job, in the fighting game community, at fighting game events, on youtube, etc. And that's why he wanted the moniker of the King of Hate. That's obviously not the whole story but you get the gist of it and how much he has been "hated on" in life. I just don't understand how at some point in his life, he didn't stop to think... "you know, people are hating on me in almost everything I do. Is it really just them? Do I really have that much bad luck that I run into nothing but assholes in my day-to-day life... or is it me, my attitude, my actions and the way that I act with others that causes the hate?" It just seems like he never gave that some thought. Because if he did, he would've changed the way he acts with people and he wouldn't have been hated on nearly as much as he has been in his life. But maybe I shouldn't be surprised that he never gave that some thought. From what I've seen in his years and years of online posts/videos, Phil has always had an "I'm right and you're wrong" personality in life. He would blame others before ever placing blame on himself.

Just look at the way he blames games for his failures, for not knowing the controls or how a game works and so on (and no, it is not an act when he blames the game). Or the way he'll blame the haters for all eternity if he ends up not being able to do this for a living anymore. Instead of actually reflecting about the things he could have changed or done differently. The sort of things the haters were/are telling him to stop doing.

​Yup.  He's the one common denominator in all those situations, so you'd think he'd notice an emerging pattern.  Obviously his narrative for why things turn out that way is different: it's because he's outspoken and pulls no punches!  Well, maybe.  He can't be doing everything wrong, since there still are people who like him, after all.  He sure ain't the King of Humility, though. :)

​You do realize that he has never once accidentally broke character and he's also legit blocked people and banned them from his forums because of criticism, correct? I understand you're a fan, but you are in serious denial on this subject.

​why would he "accidentally" break charakter? however, if you are interested seeing the real phil, or at least fragments of his real self, watch the whole videos he has with panda lee visiting places. not the hotel videos. when he is out at diners, some parts of the zoo. 

no i m not a fan. i just happen to understand phils modus operandi.  

to help you understand, i ll ask this. why does he wear the black cowboy hat in his "ask the king" vids?

(dont look at my previous comments cause i mentioned it, dont cheat, be honorable.}

​why would he "accidentally" break charakter? however, if you are interested seeing the real phil, or at least fragments of his real self, watch the whole videos he has with panda lee visiting places. not the hotel videos. when he is out at diners, some parts of the zoo. 

no i m not a fan. i just happen to understand phils modus operandi.  

to help you understand, i ll ask this. why does he wear the black cowboy hat in his "ask the king" vids?

(dont look at my previous comments cause i mentioned it, dont cheat, be honorable.}

​How would those types of videos be the real Phil? He's not interacting with anyone but her in them. The real Phil is the type of guy to argue at fighting game tournaments on various occasions and almost got into fights. It's not a character or an act, that's how he is and it gets under people's skin when he acts the way that he does.

And he wears the black cowboy hat as a gimmick, not because he's playing a character. It's something for the hardcore fans to like and enjoy seeing in each episode. Kind of like the whole "saucy Sunday" thing. It's a gimmick that nobody cares about except for him and his biggest fans.

​How would those types of videos be the real Phil? He's not interacting with anyone but her in them.

​precisely! arent you more natural, more "you" with your girlfriend, the two of you alone talking in a diner instead of being in front of the camera "performing" for hundreds of people?

if you girlfriend is new, you might be "forced" to put on an act but this is not the case with phil and panda.

the real phil is a person who understands the term "heel" much more than his average viewer.

the real phil is a person that listened to howard stern for many years (he has said this). and howard stern is a smart shock jock. 

the real phil is a person that sometime during his life (18? during the street fighter conventions?) realised controversy (talking big, exagurating, letting "loose" on people etc) works for him, gets him what he wants in life. he continued that in youtube.

thats why he named himself "king of hate", thats why its "hate live", thats why all this. 

no the black hat is not a simple gimmick. its a symbol of something. i ll give you a hint. old cowboy movies.

precisely! arent you more natural, more "you" with your girlfriend, the two of you alone talking in a diner instead of being in front of the camera "performing" for hundreds of people?

if you girlfriend is new, you might be "forced" to put on an act but this is not the case with phil and panda.

the real phil is a person who understands the term "heel" much more than his average viewer.

the real phil is a person that listened to howard stern for many years (he has said this). and howard stern is a smart shock jock. 

the real phil is a person that sometime during his life (18? during the street fighter conventions?) realised controversy (talking big, exagurating, letting "loose" on people etc) works for him, gets him what he wants in life. he continued that in youtube.

thats why he named himself "king of hate", thats why its "hate live", thats why all this. 

no the black hat is not a simple gimmick. its a symbol of something. i ll give you a hint. old cowboy movies.

I thought you weren't a fan of his. You're going awfully into descriptive detail to everyone of who "The real phil is" in your own words..

• Upvote 1

​precisely! arent you more natural, more "you" with your girlfriend, the two of you alone talking in a diner instead of being in front of the camera "performing" for hundreds of people?

​What the hell are you even talking about? Being a heel works for Phil? Are you kidding me? Phil's plummeting views are saying that you are very wrong.

"realised controversy (talking big, exagurating, letting "loose" on people etc) works for him, gets him what he wants in life. he continued that in youtube."

If you mean getting to the point where you are very desperate about views (Phil's admitted this), then you are right.

• Upvote 2

​Leave it to you to quickly derail the thread.

​fair enough.

to bring it in the right rails again i ll say this.

constructive critisism and negativity MUST be the same thing for phils online character, the one he has built over the years, raging at every game etc.

an example. old cowboys movies, the sheriff comes in the saloon.

{{sheriff: listen dusty, there have been complaints. about your cattle crossing the fence. hire pedro to help you repair your fence and keep them on your side from now on.

nasty dusty: oh yeah? says who sheriff?

sheriff: says me dusty...and this gun.

nasty dusty: no stinking badge is gonna tell me what to do!. (draws gun) }}

its the character dusty is portraying, he HAS to react like that, if he didnt he would be useless plot, tension, interest wise. what good would a cowboy movie be without a bad guy?

thats why he reacts like that to ANY critisism.(edit: he has listend to critisism ONLY when he thought it started messing with his views, or thought it would eventually mess with the views, example? card capture.)

i hope on the rails, thank you for your patience.

​fair enough.

to bring it in the right rails again i ll say this.

constructive critisism and negativity MUST be the same thing for phils online character, the one he has built over the years, raging at every game etc.

an example. old cowboys movies, the sheriff comes in the saloon.

{{sheriff: listen dusty, there have been complaints. about your cattle crossing the fence. hire pedro to help you repair your fence and keep them on your side from now on.

nasty dusty: oh yeah? says who sheriff?

sheriff: says me dusty...and this gun.

nasty dusty: no stinking badge is gonna tell me what to do!. (draws gun) }}

its the character dusty is portraying, he HAS to react like that, if he didnt he would be useless plot, tension, interest wise. what good would a cowboy movie be without a bad guy?

thats why he reacts like that to ANY critisism.

i hope on the rails, thank you for your patience.

37c1b462d20d40f3c9c030986b69f6c02a66fae9

• Upvote 4

I believe that negativity would be someone just insulting dsp for no reason at all, and just trying to ruin his life by doxing / swatting him, etc. If you say "fuck dsp he's so stupid i hate him!' that's just negativity and helps in no way. If you give an example of something he's did and then say your problems with it and how it's bad for his credibility, like with the whole patreon thing for example, that's criticism and it's helpful to everyone. Useless insults are just that, useless. Giving real factual info / help is good.

• Upvote 1

​hey those arent my words, i never said them. check my comments above, you wont find that phrase anywhere.

​The mods warned you yesterday about derailing a thread, reported and I hope you get banned this time. Stop derailing.

​The mods warned you yesterday about derailing a thread, reported and I hope you get banned this time. Stop derailing.

​i seem to have angered some of the soks. its ok, i understand.

as to deryu's  comment, if you are confused how much more clearly can i put it?

any critisism phil has to take as negative. he HAS to toss it to the side, preferably on camera so he affrims his character.

if phil listened to critisim, it wouldnt be phil, the guy that rages are stuff etc

he d  be just a random guy doing playthroughs. imagine him being "ok i understand your critisism" and acturally correcting his behaviour online.

making bigger vids, not calling people names etc etc, i magine him being just a ...good guy. not raging, not getting lost in games etc.

ok he d be a nice guy. bland. uninteresting. skipable. no views. end of youtbe carrer.

but his persona "taking any critisism as a personal attack, calling names" ensure he will never be bland. he will get views, he will keep doing what he does and getting payd for it.

i cant be anymore clear than this, i really cant.

​But... he can't perform with her. What's he supposed to do? Say "take your top off, baybay?" Of course he's not going to act all goofy with her in public. And he's very protective of her as evidenced by the time people have had issues with her in the past, in the chat rooms and whatnot. He acts the way he does with other people, not her. So that's not a very good example in my opinion.

The hat has nothing to do with cowboy movies. lol. He just wears it because it would be collecting dust otherwise and it would be a sign of wasted money.

​i seem to have angered some of the soks. its ok, i understand.

as to deryu's  comment, if you are confused how much more clearly can i put it?

any critisism phil has to take as negative. he HAS to toss it to the side, preferably on camera so he affrims his character.

if phil listened to critisim, it wouldnt be phil, the guy that rages are stuff etc

he d  be just a random guy doing playthroughs. imagine him being "ok i understand your critisism" and acturally correcting his behaviour online.

making bigger vids, not calling people names etc etc, i magine him being just a ...good guy. not raging, not getting lost in games etc.

ok he d be a nice guy. bland. uninteresting. skipable. no views. end of youtbe carrer.

but his persona "taking any critisism as a personal attack, calling names" ensure he will never be bland. he will get views, he will keep doing what he does and getting payd for it.

i cant be anymore clear than this, i really cant.

​But who the fuck want's to hear someone bitch and whine about a game all day? Seriously, what's the appeal in being that way? You have to make your own content have a positive, fun approach to it. People do it all the time. Northernlion, totalbiscuit, nerdcubed, mathasgames, all these people put their own spins on things, why cant dsp be positive about it and make his own spin? There is very little appeal in people who act horrible towards their fans and game developers. It's a copout to say that dsp does this as his own way to make himself unique, that's just pure nonsense.

Also, stop lumping me with the SOK, i'm not involved with them. 

• Upvote 3

oh i m sorry my mistake

you asked who wants him perform like that all day?

his 5 years of youtube carrer say who

ofcourse a "taking any critisism as negativity" persona has limitations, i m not saying he will be doing this for life. but "disregarding critisism and tossing it aside as negativity" (among other things) has worked for him for so long and so well.

why stop now? especially when you really cant do anything else?

its the actor entrapment, they play the villain for so long, nobody wants them to be the good guy.(edit:  i mean they specialize in one character, they cant do other realistically, so nobody wants to go see them in the movies, they dont bring in the customers as good guys)

keep in mind, phil has alternative plans for his "offyoutube" years

oh i m sorry my mistake

you asked who wants him perform like that all day?

his 5 years of youtube carrer say who

ofcourse a "taking any critisism as negativity" persona has limitations, i m not saying he will be doing this for life. but "disregarding critisism and tossing it aside as negativity" (among other things) has worked for him for so long and so well.

why stop now? especially when you really cant do anything else?

its the actor entrapment, they play the villain for so long, nobody wants them to be the good guy.

keep in mind, phil has alternative plans for his "offyoutube" years

​You mean his decreasing fanbase and ever growing detractors? yeah, people reaaaaally wanna see that. Right.

To be fair, I have tried exploring other options as far as following let's players goes, and I find most of them to be total bores, their content is pedestrian.  Phil manages to keep it interesting for me.  Even when I'm feeling exasperated at how he's playing, or wish he'd pay attention or take it more seriously, I'm at least feeling something.  If I find one of his playthroughs dull it's usually because of the game itself.  If it takes him being the 'bad guy' to keep it interesting, I'm okay with that.  It's when that spills over into RL and his relationship with fans that it becomes an issue.