The King of Hate Forums
lourat

A question of constructive criticism versus negativity

​i seem to have angered some of the soks. its ok, i understand.

as to deryu's  comment, if you are confused how much more clearly can i put it?

any critisism phil has to take as negative. he HAS to toss it to the side, preferably on camera so he affrims his character.

if phil listened to critisim, it wouldnt be phil, the guy that rages are stuff etc

he d  be just a random guy doing playthroughs. imagine him being "ok i understand your critisism" and acturally correcting his behaviour online.

making bigger vids, not calling people names etc etc, i magine him being just a ...good guy. not raging, not getting lost in games etc.

ok he d be a nice guy. bland. uninteresting. skipable. no views. end of youtbe carrer.

but his persona "taking any critisism as a personal attack, calling names" ensure he will never be bland. he will get views, he will keep doing what he does and getting payd for it.

i cant be anymore clear than this, i really cant.

​- Being unable to take criticsm and tossing it to the side on camera is just unprofessional and one of the reasons Phil's popularity and views have been plummeting for months.

- If Phil actually listened more to criticism, he would be able to make his product more watchable. Unnecessary raging just puts off viewers and isn't beneficial to viewers nor Phil

- Phil's current persona is one of the main reasons why people have stopped watching him and why his views are on the decline. If he would correct his online behaviour, people would be more willing to watch his videos. He doesn't do any favors for himself when he does all the negative stuff on Twitter etc.

- One big criticsm Phil receives often is uploading videos that are roughly 10 minutes. People don't like it when their sub-box is filled with his uploads and they don't like to watch videos that are so short. If Phil would adopt doing longer videos, at least 30 minutes long, it would be ideal to his viewers because their sub-box aren't flooded and they don't have to click for the new video all the time. Imagine, you have 2 hours to spare and you go "I'd like to watch Phil's playthrough of  game x". Now, you have to watch 12 parts and constantly change for the next part. If Phil would do 30 minute videos, you'd only have to do it about 3 times depending on the lenght of the videos. Phil's argument "it's a proven formula" is invalid in 2015 and it has been invalid for a few years already.

- He doesn't do any favors when he calls people names and rages for no reason. It doesn't help his image and people don't like to watch a person who calls people name for no reason. Tell me one succesful YT who does that? No one. They are nice and don't call their viewers names.

- If he were more nice, it wouldn't mean he is "bland, uninteresting". It would help him get more viewers. His current persona is the reason his views are what they are and he is desperate. By changing his ways, he could salvage a part of his ex-fanbase back. Who likes to watch a person who is so negative and calls people names? No one. They go watch someone who is respectful and friendly. Like Jesse Cox for example. Compare his views to Phil's and you see what I'm talking about.

"but his persona "taking any critisism as a personal attack, calling names" ensure he will never be bland. he will get views, he will keep doing what he does and getting payd for it."

The only things those ensure is that his YT career will be over sooner than later if he doesn't change his ways.

• Upvote 4

To be fair, I have tried exploring other options as far as following let's players goes, and I find most of them to be total bores, their content is pedestrian.  Phil manages to keep it interesting for me.  Even when I'm feeling exasperated at how he's playing, or wish he'd pay attention or take it more seriously, I'm at least feeling something.  If I find one of his playthroughs dull it's usually because of the game itself.  If it takes him being the 'bad guy' to keep it interesting, I'm okay with that.  It's when that spills over into RL and his relationship with fans that it becomes an issue.

​does it spill in real life or do you simply think it does?

if you offered critisism live, in a con or somewhere, would he call you a "hater, mentally ill, maggot" or something of the sort?

or would you see a real (well as real as he can be with a stranger he just met once in a con) phil?

i believe you d find "any critisim is negativity and you are a hater" is just an online phils persona prerogative. he just lets loose and has fun with his character online.

To be fair, I have tried exploring other options as far as following let's players goes, and I find most of them to be total bores, their content is pedestrian.  Phil manages to keep it interesting for me.  Even when I'm feeling exasperated at how he's playing, or wish he'd pay attention or take it more seriously, I'm at least feeling something.  If I find one of his playthroughs dull it's usually because of the game itself.  If it takes him being the 'bad guy' to keep it interesting, I'm okay with that.  It's when that spills over into RL and his relationship with fans that it becomes an issue.

​I very much so used to enjoy his content, atleast, enough to watch literally hours upon hours of it. Now adays? Not so much. I tried watching his content and ignoring his other flaws, i tried to watch it simply for the fact of "i wanna watch someone play videogames" and it's a total snorefest for me now. He barely adds anything to his playthroughs and he's always more worried about other shit, like playing the latest games, than he is with actually having fun. That's my one advice for him if it's purely about videogames. Have fun. And he doesn't seem to do that anymore.

• Upvote 2

​I very much so used to enjoy his content, atleast, enough to watch literally hours upon hours of it. Now adays? Not so much. I tried watching his content and ignoring his other flaws, i tried to watch it simply for the fact of "i wanna watch someone play videogames" and it's a total snorefest for me now. He barely adds anything to his playthroughs and he's always more worried about other shit, like playing the latest games, than he is with actually having fun. That's my one advice for him if it's purely about videogames. Have fun. And he doesn't seem to do that anymore.

I used to think that, but i'm not so sure him having fun and him making an entertaining playthrough have any correlation.  Right now for example his Dragon Age: Inquisition playthrough has long stretches of boring, repetitive combat, but he seems pretty engrossed in it.

I used to think that, but i'm not so sure him having fun and him making an entertaining playthrough have any correlation.  Right now for example his Dragon Age: Inquisition playthrough has long stretches of boring, repetitive combat, but he seems pretty engrossed in it.

​I just believe that if he had a different mentality, he would produce better content. If i played a shitty game like barbies horse adventure, and i had to record my reactions, id be negative and not talkative, and i'd hate it and so would everyone else. If i recorded my favorite videogame, my commentary on it would be rich and exciting since i enjoy it so much. That's how virtually everyone is. DSP's commentary before it became about the money was exciting and funny, even if he was a bit of a dick, that's fine as long as it's in good taste. Fast forward too now, i struggle to even watch a video from him. His new gta playthrough for example, a lot of it is him just sitting there in silence while nothing happens, and it's not engrossing at all. I understand not being able to go on for hours and hours, but atleast edit the dull parts out of your playthrough like other people do. People ultimately are probably watching DSP, for dsp. if they wanted to see a full game walk through, they'd go watch one from someone whos studied the game. I really believe if he had more fun with games, and stopped treating them like a trivial task he's forced to do, people would notice and enjoy his playthroughs more. 

Just a thought though.

• Upvote 4

​I just believe that if he had a different mentality, he would produce better content. If i played a shitty game like barbies horse adventure, and i had to record my reactions, id be negative and not talkative, and i'd hate it and so would everyone else. If i recorded my favorite videogame, my commentary on it would be rich and exciting since i enjoy it so much. That's how virtually everyone is. DSP's commentary before it became about the money was exciting and funny, even if he was a bit of a dick, that's fine as long as it's in good taste. Fast forward too now, i struggle to even watch a video from him. His new gta playthrough for example, a lot of it is him just sitting there in silence while nothing happens, and it's not engrossing at all. I understand not being able to go on for hours and hours, but atleast edit the dull parts out of your playthrough like other people do. People ultimately are probably watching DSP, for dsp. if they wanted to see a full game walk through, they'd go watch one from someone whos studied the game. I really believe if he had more fun with games, and stopped treating them like a trivial task he's forced to do, people would notice and enjoy his playthroughs more. 

Just a thought though.

​I can see that his income being tied to playing the games, can taint the motive for playing them, and can re-frame what was previously done for fun into a chore.  If you happen to not want to play a game on a certain hour, but your schedule says you have to, then it deprives you of the enjoyment.  Just  because one likes a game doesn't necessarily mean one is always in the mood.

That said, I hope he makes peace with this fact, or finds a way to reconcile it, to have his cake and eat it, so to speak.  I think if the game is enjoyable enough it will win him over and he'll forget that he wouldn't have chosen to play it at that particular moment if it weren't for it being his job.

I can't get behind the idea that he has to be having fun for the viewer to have fun, though.  As I said, I used to think this, but then there have been exceptions to the rule that proved me wrong.  I found his Drakengard 3 playthrough to be funny for example, even though he hated it.  Some games just provide the right material for him to bounce off of.  And then there are games that don't mix it up much, but he enjoys it so much he forgets to comment for long stretches or says bland, obvious stuff, and then it's like I could be watching anyone playing.

​I can see that his income being tied to playing the games, can taint the motive for playing them, and can re-frame what was previously done for fun into a chore.  If you happen to not want to play a game on a certain hour, but your schedule says you have to, then it deprives you of the enjoyment.  Just  because one likes a game doesn't necessarily mean one is always in the mood.

That said, I hope he makes peace with this fact, or finds a way to reconcile it, to have his cake and eat it, so to speak.  I think if the game is enjoyable enough it will win him over and he'll forget that he wouldn't have chosen to play it at that particular moment if it weren't for it being is career.

I can't get behind the idea that he has to be having fun for the viewer to have fun, though.  As I said, I used to think this, but then there have been exceptions to the rule that proved me wrong.  I found his Drakengard 3 playthrough to be funny for example, even though he hated it.  Some games just provide the right material for him to bounce off of.  And then there are games that don't mix it up much, but he enjoys it so much he forgets to comment for long stretches and then it's like I could be watching anyone playing.

​Yeah i agree with that last part, it has to be a certain type of bad game for it to be funny and enjoyable, and to see him insult it and such. But when he insults games like MGS and dark souls, it just makes him appear to be a bit of an asshole. I also believe it's a bit of the games that havent came out's fault. Not alot of good, dsp-style games have came out lately. If a game like Heavy Rain came out, i believe dsp would be more entertaining in that sort of setting. He seems to excel at dramatic games. Perhaps patreon will set him at ease when it comes to gameplay, we will have too see. I will try to remain as open minded as I can be.

I have constructive criticism for you right there:

I believe that Phil spends more time on WWE 2K Supercard and the 2Kforum, than here.

Thanks in advance.

Sad but true

ss+(2015-01-15+at+09.48.08).png

• Upvote 1

I suppose sometimes criticism that is actually constructive is concealed within a delivery that comes off as insulting which would immediately turn Phil off from acknowledging it, but there's a lot of politely phrased criticism here. What I would like to see is Phil actually showing some recognition of the legit criticism . Call me crazy, but his current mentality seems to be 'take any criticism to the criticism threads so I don't have to see it". Could just be me being cynical, but it seems that way to me

I have constructive criticism for you right there:

I believe that Phil spends more time on WWE 2K Supercard and the 2Kforum, than here.

Thanks in advance.

​Yes that's VERY annoying he NEVER comments back to people on the forums, but on 2K hes on nearly everyday talking..

- He doesn't do any favors when he calls people names and rages for no reason. It doesn't help his image and people don't like to watch a person who calls people name for no reason. Tell me one succesful YT who does that? No one. They are nice and don't call their viewers names.

​I'm gonna play devil's advocate here and say what Phil would probably say:"I'm the realest motherfucker on the planet and all those YTers are fake/don't talk to their fans at all"

Problem is this argument of his is so easy to counter.But I'm not gonna do it,gonna be lazy and let you guys do it :P

​why would he "accidentally" break charakter? however, if you are interested seeing the real phil, or at least fragments of his real self, watch the whole videos he has with panda lee visiting places. not the hotel videos. when he is out at diners, some parts of the zoo. 

no i m not a fan. i just happen to understand phils modus operandi.  

to help you understand, i ll ask this. why does he wear the black cowboy hat in his "ask the king" vids?

(dont look at my previous comments cause i mentioned it, dont cheat, be honorable.}

​Because no one is a perfect actor 24/7.

Why do you seem to believe that Phil is only his real self with Panda Lee? You make absolutely no sense.

If you're not a fan then I'm the Queen of England because you defend him non-stop with all these quotes that you get from movies, which by the way, if you're going to try to make yourself sound smart then fix your grammar and your spelling as it is quite atrocious and I can't take anything you say seriously.

What does him wearing a cowboy hat during Ask the King have to do with anything?

Let me ask you a question, if he was just acting then why wouldn't he change his character when he's losing tons of views? He would be doing a really awful job if his character was meant to make people stop watching his videos.

Face it, the Phil we see on every video he has ever made is the real him, go watch his Friend Request Ridicule and see what I'm talking about.

​Yes that's VERY annoying he NEVER comments back to people on the forums, but on 2K hes on nearly everyday talking..

​See that's a problem as this is HIS forums and him going to other forums and just ignoring everything on his own forums makes you wonder why he even has a forum.

• Upvote 1

​See that's a problem as this is HIS forums and him going to other forums and just ignoring everything on his own forums makes you wonder why he even has a forum.

​You really don't know why?I think you know...

It's like He comes on only for Fan Art, Game Play Through Suggestions, Blocks a few people/threads people get angry He logs off and the Mods have to deal with all the shit :D

It's like He comes on only for Fan Art, Game Play Through Suggestions, Blocks a few people/threads people get angry He logs off and the Mods have to deal with all the shit :D

​I really don't understand how the mods put up with it as I could do not support someone who is constantly late for streams for Supercard, insults every person known to man, has many double standards, and just ignores his own forums because he wants to talk to everyone else, these mods take times out of their lives to moderate HIS forums and they don't get paid for it so the least he could do is spend more time on his forums instead of treating it like a red-headed stepchild.

I think you get now a bit too far for phil's limit of enduring negative feedback. 

@JPress15 I like your red headed stepchild example.

You people do state the facts. That is going to be a endless repetition UNTILL Phil responds, which never happens..

​I really don't understand how the mods put up with it as I could do not support someone who is constantly late for streams for Supercard, insults every person known to man, has many double standards, and just ignores his own forums because he wants to talk to everyone else, these mods take times out of their lives to moderate HIS forums and they don't get paid for it so the least he could do is spend more time on his forums instead of treating it like a red-headed stepchild.

​These are just some of the reasons people turned away from him.Yet he thinks it's because of haters and because he moved.Now keep in mind,these are very valid criticisms yet often when people tell him exactly that he dismissed them as "not constructive/hate".That is just not right

​That and people get mad at the moderators then because Phil bans someone or locks a thread, and the mods get blamed for it and that's not fair at all. It's happened countless times and I feel bad for them for it.

​i seem to have angered some of the soks. its ok, i understand.

​What? None of us are angry, you're just not making any sense. I haven't seen you post anything coherent or anything relevant to the situation. 

• Upvote 1

Yes, another big case of critisism is Phil's inactivity here. Why would he pay thousands to get the domain and software to just come here when he needs something? It's absurd. It was the same thing on the last forums. He would come in and post only when he needed something (fan art, suggestions, ATK questions) etc.

If Phil would be more active here, it would likely increase site traffic as more people would sign up just to chat with him and people generally would just like to chat with him about games, movies, wrestling etc.

• Upvote 1

Yes, another big case of critisism is Phil's inactivity here. Why would he pay thousands to get the domain and software to just come here when he needs something? It's absurd. It was the same thing on the last forums. He would come in and post only when he needed something (fan art, suggestions, ATK questions) etc.

If Phil would be more active here, it would likely increase site traffic as more people would sign up just to chat with him and people generally would just like to chat with him about games, movies, wrestling etc.

​I can't even recall a time he posted in one of the fun discussion threads. He only seems to respond to negative ones (by deleting them) and ones having to do with his youtube channel or patreon. I'd love to ask Phil some questions regarding his actions, I just will never get a chance too unless I wanna donate to his patreon in the future (which will NEVER happen)

Well it seems like he pulled an all-nighter again playing WWE Immortals this time and posting on 2K forums that he quit Supercard because it's broken now.So there you have it ,folks.Wouldn't be surprised if todays DAI stream is AGAIN canceled/delayed

• Upvote 1

i ll say it again, he wouldnt change his character much like an actor has established himself in the role and 

a: cant play another role cause he is being playing 1 type for years

b:decides not to play another role, because there is financial security in the role he plays, the fans like him playing this role and "pay" to see him. 

c:(and this is me "defending" phil) as i have mentioned in other posts, his real charakter is close to the type he portrays on youtube.

and his type is that exactly. the type that disregards critisism and calls it negativity! much like the bad guy in the sallon! 

but his youtube persona IS NOT the real phil. yes, its close, yes, phil is stubborn but NO phil wouldnt not call you a maggot or a hater or a silkworm or anything if you approached him in a con to offer critisism. 

cause ridiculing real people, singling them out, offering their psn handles on screen and ridiculing them can hurt him in real life, its a crime. i think that should show you the separation of acting and real life.

if he was seriously deranged as you people make him out to be he d be still doing ridicules and much worse.

i feel i shold start a thread explaining my position by it would probably be a waste.

edit: i m sorry this was supposed to be a responding to jwpress, got messed up. lol in phils words "nothing i could do."