The King of Hate Forums
FloydMayweather

Why isn't DSP more popular?

When it comes to playthroughs in general, I rarely watch them anymore but when I do... DSP is my go-to.. There is no way I could stomach watching PewDiePie's obnoxious unfunny playthroughs or anybody elses for that matter.

It might be because I grew up watching DSP's stuff but it begs... the question why isn't he more popular than some lets players? 

1 hour ago, FloydMayweather said:

When it comes to playthroughs in general, I rarely watch them anymore but when I do... DSP is my go-to.. There is no way I could stomach watching PewDiePie's obnoxious unfunny playthroughs or anybody elses for that matter.

It might be because I grew up watching DSP's stuff but it begs... the question why isn't he more popular than some lets players? 

I would say the main reason is probably his commentary style isn't as consistently entertaining as say, the game grumps or protonjon. Because he does purely reactionary commentary he tends to run out of things to say so he'll just reiterate something that just happened or, rarely but it does happen, just not say anything at all for awhile.

• Upvote 1

3 reasons:

-My commentary is purely focused on the game. You won't hear me referencing stuff going on in my life, or telling many stories, or pre-scripted jokes and the like. If the game lends itself well to commentary, you'll get an amazing playthrough (see any of my classics like Heavy Rain, or more recently Until Dawn). If the game is repetitive and boring as shit, the playthrough will probably be boring as shit. THIS IS INTENTIONAL, as it accurately reflects the quality of the game (and therefore allows me to do a proper review of it later). But MANY other gaming YouTubers are popular because of their own personalities, which permeate their game playthroughs and dominate the footage; this isn't what happens with me, so if it's a slow time for gaming, my popularity will greatly wane.

-My gameplay is unedited, meaning it's RAW and leaves in grinding, and "boring" elements of a game. The vast majority of "big" YouTube gamers aren't doing this anymore, and have moved on to more "abridged/edited" style playthroughs with tons of production value (effects, scripted jokes and the like) making them more like Television show episodes than game playthroughs. Even those who DON'T do that much scripted stuff still tend to edit a ton out, because the attention span of the average YouTuber has greatly diminished with the coming of the new generation of watchers; this is VERY different from when I started on YouTube in 2008. And if I were to adopt this method, my entire methodology of playing games (showing you the RAW gameplay so you know exactly how the game actually is to play yourself) would be lost.

-YouTube has systematically screwed over channels/businesses like mine through massive amount of business/website changes over the years. Whereas I used to show up in search results in a big way, I no longer do; measurement metrics for "Engagement" (which don't actually apply properly to my style of video, by the way) has pushed me to the wayside for others who make longer/more edited videos. Channel pages, which were a huge part of my initial popularity, barely exist/are barely viewed anymore. Because my longer, raw, uncut playthroughs started declining in popularity, game marketers started searching out other "big YouTubers" as methods to promote their games; and so when the "big guys" are getting new games weeks in advance and posting up full playthroughs of them, it's hard to compete.

I could easily cite the massive amount of negativity thrown towards me by the uneducated masses as well, but I think that's a given at this point.

• Upvote 3

Times have changed. Back in 2008, there weren't that many other gaming Youtubers. Now there are tons. When that happens, some people can get lost in the crowd. This is what's happened to Phil.

Just now, Phil said:

3 reasons:

-My commentary is purely focused on the game. You won't hear me referencing stuff going on in my life, or telling many stories, or pre-scripted jokes and the like. If the game lends itself well to commentary, you'll get an amazing playthrough (see any of my classics like Heavy Rain, or more recently Until Dawn). If the game is repetitive and boring as shit, the playthrough will probably be boring as shit. THIS IS INTENTIONAL, as it accurately reflects the quality of the game (and therefore allows me to do a proper review of it later). But MANY other gaming YouTubers are popular because of their own personalities, which permeate their game playthroughs and dominate the footage; this isn't what happens with me, so if it's a slow time for gaming, my popularity will greatly wane.

-My gameplay is unedited, meaning it's RAW and leaves in grinding, and "boring" elements of a game. The vast majority of "big" YouTube gamers aren't doing this anymore, and have moved on to more "abridged/edited" style playthroughs with tons of production value (effects, scripted jokes and the like) making them more like Television show episodes than game playthroughs. Even those who DON'T do that much scripted stuff still tend to edit a ton out, because the attention span of the average YouTuber has greatly diminished with the coming of the new generation of watchers; this is VERY different from when I started on YouTube in 2008. And if I were to adopt this method, my entire methodology of playing games (showing you the RAW gameplay so you know exactly how the game actually is to play yourself) would be lost.

-YouTube has systematically screwed over channels/businesses like mine through massive amount of business/website changes over the years. Whereas I used to show up in search results in a big way, I no longer do; measurement metrics for "Engagement" (which don't actually apply properly to my style of video, by the way) has pushed me to the wayside for others who make longer/more edited videos. Channel pages, which were a huge part of my initial popularity, barely exist/are barely viewed anymore. Because my longer, raw, uncut playthroughs started declining in popularity, game marketers started searching out other "big YouTubers" as methods to promote their games; and so when the "big guys" are getting new games weeks in advance and posting up full playthroughs of them, it's hard to compete.

I could easily cite the massive amount of negativity thrown towards me by the uneducated masses as well, but I think that's a given at this point.

Well said. If you changed TOO much, you'd lose who you once were. I can respect that. :)

• Upvote 2

I would honestly say it's more down to personality and commentary than the fact that Phil's playthroughs are raw. I watch multiple let's players that edit as little as possible in their playthroughs and are still highly entertaining to watch.

Let's plays on Youtube are driven by the personality of the youtuber and less about the game. 

If you don't like/can't stand the person in the video there is literally nothing stopping you from leaving and finding another youtuber doing the exact same thing and/or playing the exact same game that you'd prefer to watch.

• Upvote 4

Just now, Nation said:

I would honestly say it's more down to personality and commentary than the fact that Phil's playthroughs are raw. I watch multiple let's players that edit as little as possible in their playthroughs and are still highly entertaining to watch.

Let's plays on Youtube are driven by the personality of the youtuber and less about the game. 

If you don't like/can't stand the person in the video there is literally nothing stopping you from leaving and finding another youtuber doing the exact same thing and/or playing the exact same game that you'd prefer to watch.

This too. :)

The sad fact (IMO it's sad, others may disagree) is that gameplay on YouTube has gone from "here's a legit gaming experience focused on the game" to "storytime with some personality that you find entertaining." It's basically reality TV, which is the lowest common denominator of "entertainment." If you're not doing a high-level walkthrough/instructional video, you'd BETTER be doing wacky commentary, jokes, telling stories or doing something other than just playing the game, or else the "common YouTube viewer" won't give a crap.

8 years ago, if you were legit into a game and having fun with it, people LOVED IT and would spread the word. Because back then, YouTube wasn't mainstream yet, so you could actually get some attention without going viral. Today, most of the shit that gets popular on YouTube isn't even good - it's popular JUST BECAUSE it's popular; more people watch it because it has views/shows up in search than because it's something of quality. So those who found ways to "game the system" (and those who did legitimately just get lucky with a few videos) are on top, and STAY on top. In 2008, you had a WIDE group of people who could show up in YouTube search rankings, leading to a crazy variety of content; yet today, you have more content creators than ever, but 95% of them never show up in any kind of search or popularity. It's a gross system for someone like me, who has been here every step of the way for 8 years and gets told "you're not good enough" today, when while the site was first becoming majorly popular, I WAS at the top, and obviously good enough. The site changed, not me.

No, I'm perfectly good, and different than most too. But YouTube changed both as a business and a viewership, and evolved (like most things that go mainstream) into unintelligent, reality-TV crap that means nothing. Since I refuse to be a part of it, I've lost tons of viewership. That's sad.

I just think you should be careful not making up to much arbitrary rules to follow, to be the realest youtuber or whatever you got going phil. Because you are the only one setting the standards of what you do. And if you are going to limit yourself to a recipe that isn't popular just to save some face or dignity. I don't see the point. You have talked about marketing and how good you are with it, and you admit your style is in a shrinking marked. So you either change, and adapt to what is growing or popular, or you are on for the ride down to the abyss. Alternatively you find you own niche and stick with it (probably what you are thinking) but the thing with a niche is that it don't see much growth, or small growth. 

Alternatively you can try to bend you own rules, and try out different things. Just don't become stagnate, as you now being stagnant in a shrinking marked means a slow death. be creative and funny. I know that sounds like a idiotic thing to say. But I am serious. You would have to stop with these excuses and blame train. Creative people work around challenges, and have fun doing so. It's almost as if when I read what you are saying you are just missing the sentence "might as well just give up" But I strongly disagree with this.  I think you still have it in you to be more successful than what you are today. 

Like nation said things are very personality driven, and I think you have a good personality. I really do. Your only real problem is vanity and to much pride. Something you could turn in to something positive, and funny,  if you just joked around a bit with it. Right assholesyde phillip? You understand what I mean? What is seen as highly offensive to you is for most people relatively funny. And probably this is the part of your personality the detractors really draw their power. 

The power to break out of a vicious circle is yours only. I wish I could see you do it. Because  I actually kind of like you.

YouTube definitely feels different now, I have been here since 08/09. There is no lets player right now I would watch playing Heavy Rain/Soma/Until Dawn over Phil and those are the playthrough's I actually would watch from start to finish. I prefer Phil's personality than others, then again I am picky over who I watch.

I am the old guard who has been watching DSP from way back when around 08/09. Guys like me even though I am 23, I'm considered the older demographic we are less than 1% of YT, most of us have moved on to college/university even with families now. It doesn't help Phil that 99% of YouTube viewers are kids. Which is why certain YouTubers, you ask.... why are they so popular? Because of the kids.

What would help DSP is collabs, seriously. I have seen people revive their whole channels just off collabing with someone who is popular.

Edited by FloydMayweather

6 hours ago, FloydMayweather said:

YouTube definitely feels different now, I have been here since 08/09. There is no lets player right now I would watch playing Heavy Rain/Soma/Until Dawn over Phil and those are the playthrough's I actually would watch from start to finish. I prefer Phil's personality than others, then again I am picky over who I watch.

I am the old guard who has been watching DSP from way back when around 08/09. Guys like me even though I am 23, I'm considered the older demographic we are less than 1% of YT, most of us have moved on to college/university even with families now. It doesn't help Phil that 99% of YouTube viewers are kids. Which is why certain YouTubers, you ask.... why are they so popular? Because of the kids.

What would help DSP is collabs, seriously. I have seen people revive their whole channels just off collabing with someone who is popular.

I think he stated in the past that wasn't a option since there was that air of negativity towards him. A shame but there it is.

12 hours ago, Phil said:

i am sorry, but i don't see how this is something positive. 

also if i am interesting in a game, and want to watch some gameplay of it

first there's always going to be somebody else who upload RAW gameplay footage to YT without commentary. 

second nobody need 8-10 hours (20-40 hours depend on the game) of gameplay footage to know exactly how the game is, that's why people watches review/previews etc.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Phil said:

No, I'm perfectly good, and different than most too. But YouTube changed both as a business and a viewership, and evolved (like most things that go mainstream) into unintelligent, reality-TV crap that means nothing. Since I refuse to be a part of it, I've lost tons of viewership. That's sad.

Compared the the High Class Intellectual Reaction of shitty dicks followed by acknowledgement of titties.

I like your work, but... seriously?

Edited by Squid_Girl
Last part didn't get saved.
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BlonderSTS said:

i am sorry, but i don't see how this is something positive. 

also if i am interesting in a game, and want to watch some gameplay of it

first there's always going to be somebody else who upload RAW gameplay footage to YT without commentary. 

second nobody need 8-10 hours (20-40 hours depend on the game) of gameplay footage to know exactly how the game is, that's why people watches review/previews etc.

it super isn't

Most Lets Players say Super Best Friends when stuck on backtracking, a fail run in Dark Souls or a grind just cut it out or fast forward.  They normally don't talk during it so its no lost.

Leaving in boring parts just means people skip those parts which means lower your engagement ranting thus lower search results.

Take their Neir lp were they skipped whole parts of the game since you need to replay the later half four times to get all the endings. You don't lose anything really.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, ThePositiveMan26 said:

I think he stated in the past that wasn't a option since there was that air of negativity towards him. A shame but there it is.

To be honest that's not a good enough reason, I am sure there are people around the 50k-150k sub region that wouldn't mind collabing with him on his KOGaming or DSPGaming channel. Using the negativity excuse seems just that, an excuse. I expect DSP wants to grow more than anybody else because it's his channel... 

YouTube right now isn't based off quality, it's based on luck and who you know. And luck you can't control, but 'who you know' is more up Phil's alley. 

10 minutes ago, FloydMayweather said:

To be honest that's not a good enough reason, I am sure there are people around the 50k-150k sub region that wouldn't mind collabing with him on his KOGaming or DSPGaming channel. Using the negativity excuse seems just that, an excuse. I expect DSP wants to grow more than anybody else because it's his channel... 

YouTube right now isn't based off quality, it's based on luck and who you know. And luck you can't control, but 'who you know' is more up Phil's alley. 

Ok.

I agree with Phil's points, but I would like to add my two cents considering Phil will never admit these as reasons for his decline in popularity:

1. Competition - Probably the biggest reason he's never going to the height of his popularity. Since monetization became a reality, the amount of creators that upload gameplay and playthroughs has skyrocketed. Even obscure games that barely anyone plays has at the very least snippets of recorded gameplay uploaded to YouTube, with or without commentary.

2. Poor loser - While I find it hilarious when Phil talks shit online when he loses in a game against an opponent, (fighting or otherwise) 99% of the time he uses excuses and plays the blame game (too much lag, moves won't come out, player uses lag tactics, can't block) regardless if it's legitimate. While I wholeheartedly agree with him that playing a game online is inferior due to delay, Phil should have learned by now that you have to adjust and adapt. He's been playing games for how many years online?

3. Reacting to trolls and detractors - I admit he's improved on this issue in the past year, but he still has a ways to go. Phil needs to adopt an ignore policy for anyone that is negative towards his business and personality. There is no reason for him to respond to any Joe Schmo that berates him on twitter or vilifies him in a YouTube video. The only time he should address negativity is when it's highly controversial like the alleged fapping, and even then he should just make a general statement on his forums or on twitter. The only time he should respond to someone on a personal level is if they have any clout. Now, when I say negativity I don't mean constructive criticism, I'm just referring blatant insults and general hatred. Acknowledgement is the ultimate goal for these type of people and he has to learn not to take the bait.

4. Doesn't Network - While I like Phil's one man band business model, he's going to have to collaborate and incorporate other people in his business if we wants to increase his revenue and become more popular. While I think he can stay afloat in the foreseeable future with how he is currently operating, he needs to branch out and try to bring in new viewing audiences. Imagine if he got James Rolfe, Mike Matei, or Pat The NES punk for one playthrough stream.

Edited by markymark52
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, markymark52 said:

I agree with Phil's points, but I would like to add my two cents considering Phil will never admit these as reasons for his decline in popularity:

1. Competition - Probably the biggest reason he's never going to the height of his popularity. Since monetization became a reality, the amount of creators that upload gameplay and playthroughs has skyrocketed. Even obscure games that barely anyone has plays has at the very least snippets of recorded gameplay uploaded to YouTube, with or without commentary.

2. Poor loser - While I find it hilarious when Phil talks shit online when he loses in a game against an opponent, (fighting or otherwise) 99% of the time he uses excuses and plays the blame game (too much lag, moves won't come out, player uses lag tactics, can't block) regardless if it's legitimate. While I wholeheartedly agree with him that playing a game online is inferior due to delay, Phil should have learned by now that you have to adjust and adapt. He's been playing games for how many years online?

3. Reacting to trolls and detractors - I admit he's improved on this issue in the past year, but he still has a ways to go. Phil needs to adopt an ignore policy for anyone that is negative towards his business and personality. There is no reason for him to respond to any Joe Schmo that berates him on twitter or vilifies him in a YouTube video. The only time he should address negativity is when it's highly controversial like the alleged fapping, and even then he should just make a general statement on his forums or on twitter. The only time he should respond to someone on a personal level is if they have any clout. Now, when I say negativity I don't mean constructive criticism, I'm just referring blatant insults and general hatred. Acknowledgement is the ultimate goal for these type of people and he has to learn not to take the bait.

4. Doesn't Network - While I like Phil's one man band business model, he's going to have to collaborate and incorporate other people in his business if we wants to increase his revenue and become more popular. While I think he can stay afloat in the foreseeable future with how he is currently operating, he needs to branch out and try to bring in new viewing audiences. Imagine if he got James Rolfe, Mike Matei, or Pat The NES punk for one playthrough stream.

Good points. :)

5 hours ago, markymark52 said:

"Alleged fapping" yeah I like that one. I almost agree, however.  It is nothing wrong with reacting to anything. It is the reaction that matters. Sometimes you can defuse a situation with the right reaction like with the """alleged"""" unfortunate incident. But when you are fuelling the controversy you are doing it wrong. And sometimes ignoring an issue might be making things worse. And a "I am sorry I could be wrong",  "I appreciate  your concerns" or "I will do better/consider it next time" is sometime way more effective than a wall of text and excuses.   Even if you are right. 

i was watching his old commentary to now.  and his old commentary felt more lively and energetic.  now he sounds boring and it just feel like he made his channel for blind people.  he describes everything that we see in the game.  its not awful but its boring.  and his sonic 06 playthrough was the worst thing i seen from him this year alone.

• Upvote 2

Phil is popular. PewDiePie, Total Buscuit, every big Youtuber knows of DSP. He's just not popular with the current viewers of YouTube. Positively that is.
If you mean popular with the current viewers of Youtube, Phil isn't "popular" because he's just not entertaining to the majority of YouTube. Its that simple. It doesn't matter what game he plays or how fast he does a review or plays through a game. There's thousands of other Youtubers that have a better, more relatable personality that will appeal to more people and they're thousands of people who will put more work and effort into their gameplay videos. Its not the YouTube search system, its not the cloud of negativity that he created around him, it's him and his commentary that can't hold water if the game isn't controversial or brand new. The sooner Phil realizes he's more appealing at creating train wreck videos and continue playing very badly, the sooner he will become popular with the current state of YouTube. Until then he will just float on the ocean of YouTube for an extended amount of time until a storm comes.

Like the majority of people here, even in this forum, I've stopped watching his gameplays a very long time ago, there's just more entertaining people out there. But I'm an avid fan of his train-wreck videos. I'm not trying to tear anyone down, just these are facts that are undeniable factual evidence that DSP has gotta wake up and smell the roses too.

3 hours ago, CannonFodder said:

Phil is popular. PewDiePie, Total Buscuit, every big Youtuber knows of DSP. He's just not popular with the current viewers of YouTube. Positively that is.
If you mean popular with the current viewers of Youtube, Phil isn't "popular" because he's just not entertaining to the majority of YouTube. Its that simple. It doesn't matter what game he plays or how fast he does a review or plays through a game. There's thousands of other Youtubers that have a better, more relatable personality that will appeal to more people and they're thousands of people who will put more work and effort into their gameplay videos. Its not the YouTube search system, its not the cloud of negativity that he created around him, it's him and his commentary that can't hold water if the game isn't controversial or brand new. The sooner Phil realizes he's more appealing at creating train wreck videos and continue playing very badly, the sooner he will become popular with the current state of YouTube. Until then he will just float on the ocean of YouTube for an extended amount of time until a storm comes.

Like the majority of people here, even in this forum, I've stopped watching his gameplays a very long time ago, there's just more entertaining people out there. But I'm an avid fan of his train-wreck videos. I'm not trying to tear anyone down, just these are facts that are undeniable factual evidence that DSP has gotta wake up and smell the roses too.

I wouldn't say that around here.

33 minutes ago, FloydMayweather said:

I'll go out on a limb here and say...

Nobody does Heavy Rain/Until Dawn commentary like DSP, you have to give him that.

The Super Best Friends though.

• Upvote 1