The King of Hate Forums

Something about Phil's Patreon I don't get.

3 hours ago, Phil said:

Yeah, if there are double-charges like this that aren't intentional, then 1. the person should contact Patreon support and explain their issue, (because honestly? Patreon did NOT set up the up-front charges process properly) and 2. the person should immediately lower/change their pledge amount, if indeed they pledged a higher amount just to get a specific perk.

But what you're saying makes no sense: the person should be upgraded IMMEDIATELY to vote! But the poll doesn't exist yet. For example: let's say there were 20 people who were IMMEDIATELY upgraded when they first pledged in August; if I'd upgraded them right away, they'd get nothing for it, because the poll doesn't exist until I create it the first week of September. Why do I have to wait to create it? Because the people that didn't do first-time pledges, and didn't get charged up-front, don't get charged until the 1st of September; to make the poll earlier would mean they wouldn't get to vote. 

I get what you're saying: the up-front system is far from perfect and Patreon didn't really think it through. But it was NECESSARY because of the insane amount of false pledges I was getting. If you want to point fingers in blame, you shouldn't point them at myself or Patreon, but instead at the idiot kids who f'ed everything up to begin with by trolling my account and making the monthly numbers insanely over-inflated.

You are mistaken about this. Because you are doing charge up-front, that charge on the 1st of September is for the month of September as are any pledges you get during the month. You are looking at it incorrectly. The problem is that you switched to charging people immediately but didn't switch anything else. You are still treating it as if it's the regular setup. So no, people getting double charged isn't Patreon's fault or problem, it is yours! Please at least understand what you are doing with people's money and know what you are talking about before you say someone is speaking nonsense when you are the one who is factually wrong. Read number 3 in the frequently asked question section of their help article about charge upfront https://patreon.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/210291283-What-is-charge-upfront-How-do-I-get-it-

Everyone else has addressed the other stuff better than I could, so I have nothing to add to that. This just really bothered me a lot because not only are you misinformed about something you should really be knowledgeable about, but you aren't even willing to take responsibility for your own source of funding, instead shifting the blame to Patreon itself. That's just abominable!

• Upvote 1

Reading this is like someone caring about Chinese politics when they are living in another country and never intend to go there them self. Knowing full well that it  is a communist system they don't have no say over. As in this instance a Chinese person, I can say that perks can always be bettered, and paying for something you should get what you payed for right away. The insta pledge is only for the first time anyways, and not a big deal if not the person feeling affected thinks it is. You other people from the rest of the world. should find some other cause  to care about. 

11 hours ago, BrightSideViking said:

Reading this is like someone caring about Chinese politics when they are living in another country and never intend to go there them self. Knowing full well that it  is a communist system they don't have no say over. As in this instance a Chinese person, I can say that perks can always be bettered, and paying for something you should get what you payed for right away. The insta pledge is only for the first time anyways, and not a big deal if not the person feeling affected thinks it is. You other people from the rest of the world. should find some other cause  to care about. 

It's funny you mention that, I made this thread because I was saving up to donate to Phil's Patreon.

3 hours ago, BrightSideViking said:

haha Not according to you last time. ;) You have to remember what you are saying. 

Where did I say that? Was it in another thread? Because in this thread, I said I wasn't currently a Patreon - I said nothing on whether or not I planned to donate.

1 minute ago, Squid_Girl said:

Where did I say that? Was it in another thread? Because in this thread, I said I wasn't currently a Patreon - I said nothing on whether or not I planned to donate.

You are so full of shit,LMAO. sorry, you wouldn't even float one dollar for "various reasons" and I don't think you where saving your pennies to get that dollar. 

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, BrightSideViking said:

You are so full of shit,LMAO. sorry, you wouldn't even float one dollar for "various reasons" and I don't think you where saving your pennies to get that dollar. 

I'd like to say I'm not full of shit, but I do owe an explanation. There are two big reasons I wouldn't "float a dollar." I'll make them short:

1.) I found it weird that that you become Patron for one dollar, but to get to the Patron's only section, you need to pay five. However, thanks to this thread I'm over this one - as it seems to just be me and everyone who has donated to the Patreon seems satisfied.

2.) Money. I'm broke. That's actually the main reason I watch Phil nowadays: I can't afford new games; My last new game was Super Mario Maker for a point of reference. But furthermore, it's looking like I might be able to get some spare cash in the upcoming months, so me donating isn't out of the question.

Just now, Squid_Girl said:

I'd like to say I'm not full of shit, but I do owe an explanation. There are two big reasons I wouldn't "float a dollar." I'll make them short:

1.) I found it weird that that you become Patron for one dollar, but to get to the Patron's only section, you need to pay five. However, thanks to this thread I'm over this one - as it seems to just be me and everyone who has donated to the Patreon seems satisfied.

2.) Money. I'm broke. That's actually the main reason I watch Phil nowadays: I can't afford new games; My last new game was Super Mario Maker for a point of reference. But furthermore, it's looking like I might be able to get some spare cash in the upcoming months, so me donating isn't out of the question.

There you go, Viking. Now a apology's in order.

10 minutes ago, Squid_Girl said:

Yes, I like TIHYDP also, I also like to give him credit for it.  just remember what response you gave me earlier in the thread. Where I said I would leverage your donation 1-4 to give you access to the patron only section. 

13 minutes ago, ThePositiveMan26 said:

There you go, Viking. Now a apology's in order.

Nonsense calm down. 

19 minutes ago, BrightSideViking said:

Yes, I like TIHYDP also, I also like to give him credit for it.  just remember what response you gave me earlier in the thread. Where I said I would leverage your donation 1-4 to give you access to the patron only section. 

Nonsense calm down. 

I'm perfectly calm. I just think you should say sorry for calling Squid_Girl a piece of shit. 

Since all questions were answered, and thread has now been totally derailed with nonsense, it's now closed.

On 9/12/2016 at 8:02 PM, Sam said:

You are mistaken about this. Because you are doing charge up-front, that charge on the 1st of September is for the month of September as are any pledges you get during the month. You are looking at it incorrectly.

Wrong, and I talked to Patreon about this. Their actual reasoning is 100% incorrect, because if you switch from the standard to the up-front charges, you can't magically make the month pass so that you move on to the next charges. There's a "phantom month" in there where stuff is still going on (perks, pledges and goals) but Patreon just assumes that you can magically "make the pledges count for the next month!" and completely forget about the current one. You cannot. It's illogical reasoning and I've had it out with them; they claimed they're going to talk to management about it but I doubt they ever will, because most people don't have to use the up-front charging like me.

There is no issue here. There have been zero complaints from actual Patrons since I switched to up-front charging. The only people complaining, as usual, are the idiots who try to spin everything into a negative for their own personal gain/amusement, and who will never pledge. Everyone else is happy and understands why I have to do it this way. SO...bug off! Thanks.

• Upvote 1
  • Phil locked this topic