The King of Hate Forums
FloydMayweather

Will DSP ever hit 'Mainstream' again?

Is it possible that DSP can be majorly popular again? I mean I think it's possible, of course a lot of luck is involved but I mean stranger things on YouTube have happened.

Personally, I'd like to see DSP popular again. Just for the entertainment he's given me through the years (since I was 16).

Edited by FloydMayweather

No. Period.

Not trying to be negative, but he has to completely change his commentary style, learn how to network with other Youtuber's and research the field, study and learn how to become a professional editor, and invest money into his business instead of just paying bills. Which you know and I know none of which is happening.

DSP lost his creative edge a long time ago and I believe he is perfectly comfortable with just staying afloat on Youtube with doing the most minimal amount of work possible. He is in his twilight years on Youtube, and honestly, I think he can't wait to stop playing video games everyday and catering to children so he can invest into being a family man.

Edited by YoshiCity
  • Upvote 1

hell yes I think so. I think he will be a household name and go in to internet history. 

He is quite unique and represent something that you can't find anywhere else. I can't put a finger on what and I might be a bit biased. But he have been going strong for 8 years, and counting, and is a well known youtuber. Not everyone care about him on a daily basis, but knows he is there. It does require some event, or scandal but what he does doesn't go unnoticed so only time will tell... 

Edited by BrightSideViking

8 minutes ago, markymark52 said:

Not sure what logic you're using, but videogames don't require you to be in prime physical shape to be successful at them. As long as YouTube keeps paying their content creators considerably and he can stay relevant, he could theoretically still be doing this in his 70s if he wanted to.

You right, it's up to Phil if he wants to continue doing this as a living. Honestly though I think he could do this until his late 40s

You wan't Phil to ask for donations until his late 40's? That's kind of un-manly like, isn't it? Im sure Phil doesn't want to be 48 years old playing video games everyday asking teenagers for donations, and I don't think Leanna barely 35-36yrs old childless and unmarried is gonna be there just sticking around putting up with that shit. Its cool to be gamer in your 40's but to have it still fully encompass your life like you're still a teenager would be embarrassing at that age.

9 minutes ago, Twin said:

You wan't Phil to ask for donations until his late 40's? That's kind of un-manly like, isn't it? Im sure Phil doesn't want to be 48 years old playing video games everyday asking teenagers for donations, and I don't think Leanna barely 35-36yrs old childless and unmarried is gonna be there just sticking around putting up with that shit. Its cool to be gamer in your 40's but to have it still fully encompass your life like you're still a teenager would be embarrassing at that age.

He could get married by now 

"You wan't Phil to ask for donations until his late 40's? That's kind of un-manly like, isn't it? Im sure Phil doesn't want to be 48 years old playing video games everyday asking teenagers for donations, and I don't think Leanna barely 35-36yrs old childless and unmarried is gonna be there just sticking around putting up with that shit. Its cool to be gamer in your 40's but to have it still fully encompass your life like you're still a teenager would be embarrassing at that age."

Alot of youtubers like Phil have to set-up a Patreon because of adblock. Everytime youtube tried to bypass adblock adblock releases a patch to keep blocking ads on youtube.

• Upvote 1

Not Likely. Phil would need to make massive overhauls to his channel if he wants to be "mainstream" and I've seen him was, and I all but quote "Now, if anyone has an advice to give me that DOES NOT INVOLVED ANY MASSIVE OVERHAULS to my channel, feel free to let me know." 

Phil's channel is like a used car - no coat of paint is going to change the fact that the engine is in need of some fine tuning.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Squid_Girl said:

Not Likely. Phil would need to make massive overhauls to his channel if he wants to be "mainstream" and I've seen him was, and I all but quote "Now, if anyone has an advice to give me that DOES NOT INVOLVED ANY MASSIVE OVERHAULS to my channel, feel free to let me know." 

Phil's channel is like a used car - no coat of paint is going to change the fact that the engine is in need of some fine tuning.

Just to expound on the car analogy. Most of DSP's 2008 - 2011 fans just bought new cars (Found a more entertaining Youtuber), refinanced on a newer year car of the same model (Love DSP's style but moved over to Angry Joe who does what DSP's does with more effort and editing), or took public transportation (Stop going on Youtube altogether).

But DSP is like that classic car that doesn't start cause the battery died and the gas in it is old and probably contaminated. It's a burden to have, it's leaking oil in your garage, but once its running on all cylinders once in a blue moon, its great till it inevitably breaks down tomorrow.

Edited by BoomShakaLaka

4 minutes ago, BoomShakaLaka said:

Just to expound on the car analogy. Most of DSP's 2008 - 2011 fans just bought new cars (Found a more entertaining Youtuber), refinanced on a newer year car of the same model (Love DSP's style but moved over to Angry Joe who does what DSP's does with more effort and editing), or took public transportation (Stop going on Youtube altogether).

But DSP is like that classic car that doesn't start cause the battery died and the gas in it is old and probably contaminated. It's a burden to have, it's leaking oil in your garage, but once its running on all cylinders once in a blue moon, its great till it inevitably breaks down tomorrow.

Requires a great deal of patience to get to where you need to go when just going to another car would be easier and less annoying than crossing your fingers and hoping it's fixed when you wake up tomorrow.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Squid_Girl said:

Requires a great deal of patience to get to where you need to go when just going to another car would be easier and less annoying than crossing your fingers and hoping it's fixed when you wake up tomorrow.

Very true!

1 hour ago, markymark52 said:

If I could make a great living off of posting video game videos on YouTube for the rest of my life I would have no reason to stop. Just because the majority of his age demographic is in their pre-teen or teens doesn't hurt his masculinity. If we to used your logic on a larger scale, any male that produces entertainment mainly for children such as Disney, The Lego Group, and The Pokemon Company, should not be considered manly either.

Why are you making the assumption that his personal life will stay constant if he does decide to continue making money on YouTube (or another company's video platform) later in life? It's not an impossibility for him to continue what he's doing, get married, and have children when he or Leanna wants and still continue his business. He may have to scale back his coverage some due to time constraints, but so does every father or mother in a nuclear family. He also wouldn't be under the typical "9-5" job, as being your own boss and working at home grants you a lot more freedom and flexibility than having to answer to a manager or supervisor.

I agree with you that people can easily do this into their 40's if they have the means too. The only thing is in Phil's situation, he's broke and in debt in just a two person household where both parties are working. So just the thought of adding an expensive child in that situation, and don't get me wrong a child is a beautiful thing, but children are bad for business. With Phil's schedule with barely making ends meat streaming 5 hours and uploading 30 videos a day, there's no way to ramp that up while trying to be a daddy and provide for a child. Let's be honest, Youtube is trying desperately to over plug that revenue stream that broke lose during the golden years of Youtube when channels like Phil's use to make 5 - $6,000 a month. You seen Phil's tweet about the checkbox that you now have to check just to receive regular notifications from ALL your subscriptions and not just the ones you frequent! Youtube been trying to push the bottom feeders out of a full time Youtube career, and with Google Chrome now offering adblock as standard, the contract renegotiation, and just the amount of people that do what Phil does more or less, Phil can't base anything important in his future on this platform anymore. He just can't . So Phil would have to get a job, and Phil is sternly against getting one of those. So change of lifestyle is out of the question as long as Phil is on Youtube.. unless lady luck strikes Phil's channel and he gets a shitload of viral videos... But relying your entire business on a fluke is like spending your life savings and every last dollar you have just to start a mom and pop restaurant in the desert and buying a bunch of lottery tickets to fallback on just in case the restaurant doesn't catch on.

Oh, and lets not even discuss a wedding, cause Leanna doesn't seem the type to get ghetto married at a court house..

Edited by BoomShakaLaka

16 minutes ago, markymark52 said:

Good points, but I think Phil's spending habits and lifestyle are more to blame than his monthly YouTube income.

Examples:

-Two people living in a three bedroom approximately 1600 sq. ft. house is a little excessive. He could easily downsize and save a few hundred bucks on his mortgage by moving into a 1200 sq. ft house or condo.

-He traveled clear across the country to find a home in Washington. He uses tax breaks as an excuse to why he moved to the west coast, but he could have gotten similar tax breaks in a state like Delaware, remained within driving distance to friends and family, and saved a lot of money on moving costs.

-Since Phil never mentions Leanna as a large income source, she could get a better paying job or generate more sales on her Etsy shop to help out more with expenses. Phil could then focus on YouTube more and create more wide reaching content.

-He opts to purchase a lot of his games digitally now which have no resale value. He could cut his game title expenses significantly if he bought only physical disks to trade-in once he's done with them. Considering he beats games on average between a week to a week and a half, he'd get a decent amount of credit back to save on his next purchase. Many have suggested (including me) the gamer's unlocked subscription from Best Buy that would save him even more money, but he hasn't taken this advice.

Oh yeah most def dude! I completely agree with you.

Three bedroom house in one of most expensive west cities in America? Cmon bro. Yes he did use tax breaks but i've yet to see anything gained from that at all. You're talking about Delaware? Bro im in the south and rent a 3 bed 2 bath two story house for 800 dollars. I have my 90's impala project and my Cadillac ATS. I make less than 40 grand a year... I knew Phil was full of smoke when he suggested that BMW and moving west would save money.

I always have a flight worth of money in my bible to get back to EL Paso (my native city) to get back to family if need be.

My girl is an R & N out here and despite we are together she as her savings just in case. Her or I would never be stranded like Leanna is.

My PC and pretty much "man cave" is totally pawnable if things go sour. If I go into a hint of debt, those items would be the first to go. So I don't understand Phil's logic when he's 7 YEARS OLDER THAN ME and realies on a donation website to stay afloat.

Theres so much shit he can do on his Youtube alone to make profit if he put in the effort. But honestly, I think he's to lazy to do anything about it.

Edited by BoomShakaLaka

BoomShakaLaka your totally right. I really think If phil would put more effort and enthusiasm in his content his channel could possibly grow. If I remember correctly phil said he had no plan b so if he can't live off of youtube anymore he will lose everything. He needs to start on a backup plan for when everything goes south.

On 10/4/2016 at 6:29 AM, TheShowStopper said:

He's only 34 years old and he has at least 2 years of his prime left. Just like any other athlete, father time is catching up. 

Sorry, I just cringed reading this. Please never say something like that again.

• Upvote 3

If i were to be blunt, i don't think Phil will ever hit "mainstream" again.

He's almost the definition of niche at this point and his widest reaching presence is TIHYDPs. 

KOGaming will probably do well for itself but Phil as a whole will probably never hit mainstream popularity again unless something major happens and a hell of a lot of luck.

Edited by Nation
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Nation said:

If i were to be blunt, i don't think Phil will ever hit "mainstream" again.

He's almost the definition of niche at this point and his widest reaching presence is TIHYDPs. 

KOGaming will probably do well for itself but Phil as a whole will probably never hit mainstream popularity again unless something major happens and a hell of a lot of luck.

I think the big thing stopping Phil is his refusal to change.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Squid_Girl said:

I think the big thing stopping Phil is his refusal to change.

How does he not change? he allows people to post here who clearly dislike him. he only gets rid when they are out of line and start insulting. 

Edited by Bailey_Dakota

2 hours ago, Bailey_Dakota said:

How does he not change? he allows people to post here who clearly dislike him. he only gets rid when they are out of line and start insulting. 

I have to point out you're right on that one. Phil knows exactly who I am (hint: not exactly his biggest fan) but I assume I'm still here mainly for that very reason you just described.

9 hours ago, Bailey_Dakota said:

How does that prove he changes? I fail to see what this has to do with Phil changing something involving his YouTube Career.