The King of Hate Forums
SilentWarrior25

The Nintendo Switch is here!

4 hours ago, TraditionalGames said:

It's official. Phil hates Nintendo and will shit on them for everything. How the fuck is this a bad thing? It's a completely simple concept but it makes them out of touch with reality? It's not even justified hate anymore.

This is news to you?

anyway this is interesting, so the Mario game is new? if they can make Paper Mario go back to it's roots i would be interested. we know Beyond Good and Evil 2 will be on this, probably Bayo 3, more Sonic games, some ubisoft games, and Konami which no one cares bout anymore.

I don't dislike Nintendo, I'm just INCREDIBLY skeptical because people have gotten just as hype for the Wii and Wii U consoles, just for them to fall flat on their faces. The "forced gimmick" here seems to be that it's a handheld AND a home console, when in reality it's two completely separate markets, and we already have mobile devices/games taking OVER the mobile market completely in the matter of the last few years. I wasn't hearing any desire at all for a portable console that can play AAA games on the go; so again, it's Nintendo thinking there's demand for something that doesn't exist, much like forced motion controls, or a giant gamepad nobody wants.

What we need to know in order to actually form intelligent opinions (keep in mind, none of this information at all is confirmed by anyone yet):

-Actual processing power (is it a mobile chipset, is it as strong as/better than PS4 and Xbox One, etc.)
-Actual graphical performance (will it to 1080p/60fps and have as much detail as the competing consoles; if not, nobody cares about third party support because we don't want inferior ports)
-Whether or not plugging the Switch into the "home dock" makes it more powerful, or if it's just a dock; if this is just a handheld device that plugs into your TV, then it isn't a home console at all
-How many 3rd party studios will NOT JUMP SHIP in the first year if it doesn't sell well, which is exactly what happened to Wii U. People seem to forget that Wii U had the support of over 20 AAA game dev studios at launch, but nobody bought the console or the games, so they all jumped ship. Seeing a list of potential 3rd party support is worthless; oh yeah, and 1/3rd of that list aren't even game devs at all
-Battery life of the handheld console
-Quality of the gameplay/visuals on the handheld vs. the actual home console
-Durability of the hardware (sorry, I'm not convinced that someone who's constantly locking/swapping parts on this thing won't run into issues that it'll wear down or break easily. It's plastic, and plastic breaks after wear and tear).

-THE PRICE! THE PRICE! THE PRICE! THE PRICE! THE PRICE!

Just because I'm not kissing Nintendo's ass and giving them the benefit of the doubt doesn't mean I'm not looking forward to the Switch. But I've been burned multiple times by their "vision" which I like to call "elitism" and I'm NOT giving them the benefit of the doubt until we have far more info.

22 minutes ago, Darksphere92 said:

anyway this is interesting, so the Mario game is new? 

Nothing in that PR video was real. Bethesda has confirmed they're not even working on Skyrim for the Switch yet. Nintendo got permission to superimpose gameplay onto the Switch for the video, but it was 100% doctored. So "new Mario game" is probably coming, but I wouldn't take anything from this video as factual evidence of an actual game.

• Upvote 1

Is it really a forced gimmick if you have the option to only play portable or only play at home..its not anywhere near as forced and intrusive as say motion controls or a gamepad. The HUGE plus with this is that it will get all of nintendo games on one platform..not on 2 separate platforms. People have been wanting to play pokemon and other portable games on console..I know people with only a 3DS that wanted to play a couple WII u games but not have to shell out $300 just to do so..You can also be assured that there won't be wii u like droughts.

Edited by Thaimasker

29 minutes ago, Phil said:

I don't dislike Nintendo, I'm just INCREDIBLY skeptical. 

Sorry dude but I don't buy that anymore. It's not skepticism if your first impression is to bash it before you can even come up with reasonable arguments.

The Wii was stupid because you have to flail your arms. The Wii U was stupid because you're just touching a screen. They advertised those mechanics as "Magical moments"

The Switch's "Gimmick"? It has portability. If that's your grounds for skepticism then it's clear that you will never be satisfied as long as Nintendo's name is on the product.

Damn. So the base doesn't offer more power.

So basically the Switch is a tablet with TV output, detachable gamepads, and I'm assuming streetpass. Still that's not that bad. As long as it actually can run games like Skyrim and they do embrace Esports this can be a good console.

Ok, so thanks to Angry Joe's reaction video to this, the article he looked up said that they're using a custom Tegra processor, so it might be somewhere between the Tegra 1 and Tegra 2, and the GPU is based on the GeForce gaming graphics card architecture.

18 minutes ago, TraditionalGames said:

Damn. So the base doesn't offer more power.

So basically the Switch is a tablet with TV output, detachable gamepads, and I'm assuming streetpass. Still that's not that bad. As long as it actually can run games like Skyrim and they do embrace Esports this can be a good console.

And another good thing about this, is that the worry about developers having to choose between the tablet and console is now gone since they perform the same on both tablet and TV.

The switch is getting overwhelmingly positive feedback on the internet, 4 mil views in 11 hours and 250k+ likes. ..As long as the hardware doesn't explode, the price is too much, or abysmal battery life..then this thing will be huge worldwide. This is what I've wanted for a while.. I don't even care about the option or "gimmick"..what is really the selling point is it having all nintendo games on one device..the library of this will be insane. Imagine if all of the WII and DS, or Gamecube and GBA,  or Wii U and 3DS games were on the same system and can be treated as a home console and/or portable..you telling me that Nintendo is doomed in that situation? Lol

Edited by Thaimasker

12 minutes ago, Thaimasker said:

The switch is getting overwhelmingly positive feedback on the internet, 4 mil views in 11 hours and 250k+ likes. ..As long as the hardware doesn't explode, the price is too much, or abysmal battery life..then this thing will be huge worldwide. This is what I've wanted for a while.. I don't even care about the option or "gimmick"..what is really the selling point is it having all nintendo games on one device..the library of this will be insane. Imagine if all of the WII and DS, or Gamecube and GBA,  or Wii U and 3DS games were on the same system and can be treated as a home console and/or portable..you telling me that Nintendo is doomed in that situation? Lol

There's also the fact that Nintendo's stocks may have increased by at least $1 billion.

Edit: Scratch that, their stocks have increased by over $1 billion already.

So a guy on twitter gave me this article on NVIDIA explaining what they did for the Switch.

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2016/10/20/nintendo-switch/

Now I'm not a technology expert, but the guy who gave me this said that based on this, the Switch could actually be more powerful than the PS4/Xbox One. Of course we'll have to see, but it's promising.

17 minutes ago, SilentWarrior25 said:

There's also the fact that Nintendo's stocks may have increased by at least $1 billion.

So a guy on twitter gave me this article on NVIDIA explaining what they did for the Switch.

Now I'm not a technology expert, but the guy who gave me this said that based on this, the Switch could actually be more powerful than the PS4/Xbox One. Of course we'll have to see, but it's promising.

If it supports Nvidia now or similar technology this can very well be the case. In fact that's probably the only way Skyrim would run on it.

13 minutes ago, SilentWarrior25 said:

Call me crazy but I don't even think it has to be THAT powerful. Its an increase over the Wii U, which is obviously a massive increase over the 3DS..I think thats what its all about.No more ugly as hell pokemon and monster hunter games..and even when those were in shitty 3ds graphics they still sell like hot cakes..imagine with current gen graphics. In terms of stock, one thing to keep in mind is that the Wii Us reveal didn't even move the needle..even rumors of this have been moving the needle since march

Just now, Thaimasker said:

Call me crazy but I don't even think it has to be THAT powerful. Its an increase over the Wii U, which is obviously a massive increase over the 3DS..I think thats what its all about.No more ugly as hell pokemon and monster hunter games..and even when those were in shitty 3ds graphics they still sell like hot cakes..imagine with current gen graphics. In terms of stock, one thing to keep in mind is that the Wii Us reveal didn't even move the needle..even rumors of this have been moving the needle since march

To defend pokemon, the models in Sun and Moon do look pretty good, partially because of the art style.

11 minutes ago, SilentWarrior25 said:

To defend pokemon, the models in Sun and Moon do look pretty good, partially because of the art style.

It actually does, in my mind I was thinking of black and white 2 since that was the last one I played aha. Although the jaggies in the environment really hurts my eyes(I have sensitive eyes) Still..  A Switch version will be quite the jump and should get people even more excited. 

if this thing is powerful imagine the Emulator support. as for the Cartridge only i am guessing no DVD or Blurays, but that doesnt mean there can't be a media player, via Homebrew.

Ok, so this is apparently the only information we're going to get on the Switch until 2017. Part of it is probably because they don't want to overshadow the NES Classic, but I was hoping for at least a little more info. Well, 3rd parties could still talk about games that they're making for it, but no info on the Switch itself.

1 hour ago, markymark52 said:

So like I surmised, this is NOT a console. It's a handheld (or portable system) that you can play on your TV, and it will have the limited graphic capabilities of a handheld as well. Instead of actually developing a legitimate console/handheld hybrid, they've created a deceptive marketing strategy to try and capture both the portable and handheld markets.

Considering this device is now going to be limited to the graphical and processing power of a handheld chipset, we're going to be seeing very underwhelming technical specifications even when comparing it to Xbox One and PS4. In fact, I will be surprised if it will be on par with current Xbox One and PS4 graphical capabilities.

Well you will be able to get a console experience out of it..being able to play games like zelda BOTW which looks pretty good graphically and apparently has an insane map size.. And I'll stick with sony/my PC to play third parties like I have my entire life lol...only this time I get everything I would have gotten from 2 nintendo systems in one...and no more terrible resolution on the handheld..it is disappointing that there won't be any more news this year. 

1 hour ago, markymark52 said:

So like I surmised, this is NOT a console. It's a handheld (or portable system) that you can play on your TV, and it will have the limited graphic capabilities of a handheld as well. Instead of actually developing a legitimate console/handheld hybrid, they've created a deceptive marketing strategy to try and capture both the portable and handheld markets.

Considering this device is now going to be limited to the graphical and processing power of a handheld chipset, we're going to be seeing very underwhelming technical specifications even when comparing it to Xbox One and PS4. In fact, I will be surprised if it will be on par with current Xbox One and PS4 graphical capabilities.

Again if Nvidia shares their Nvidia now technology that could change that.

But to say this isn't a proper console I disagree with. There really isn't anything different between handhelds, consoles, and PC. They're all hardware that play games. The only difference is how you use it. A handheld is portable and a console plugs into your TV. Switch does both.

What is gimmick exactly?

For those who says its gimmick, all im seeing is nintendo acting accordingly to their sells history. 3DS is their biggest success currently while wii/wii U cant really compete with ps4/xbone unless its those movement exercise/sport stuffs. If they are going to make a new console why are they going to make a console similar to ps4/xbone when those 2 alrdy have established games and targeted customers? Nintendo wont pull that much customers if all they are doing is "something similar to ps4/xbone". Combining/upgrading their new console to have both options of portable or home console is great idea bcos one of the limits of portable console is obviously screen size and probably the majority of their customers are on portables. Theres no problem if u consider it not a real home console, its just improve the ease in setting up the console to ur screen significantly.

Bcos 3DS was a success shows that theres demand for portable games, and no, mobile games wont kill portable games. I hate mobile games unless its games from ps1 like ff series. Whats wrong with having a portable console so i can meet with my friends where ever after work and sit down playing mhgen? If theres no portable we all would have to go back home and play on the internet. Their selling point is not graphic. The only problem is how to make the console portable while not gimping the console too much and make its capabilities as close to ps4/xbone as possible.

This is one of those dsp's stupid moments. I admit i might be bias a lil, but bcos there no detailed information on the spec/battery/whatever yet its too soon to bash nintendo (not even really sure what reason the bashing have besides "gimmick"). Im a fan of mh series, and if NS have the series it will suit me perfectly. My only worry is the graphic capabilities bcos i know portables will have disadvantages against home ones but im feeling positive bcos "close to" is alright for me.

Lastly, PHIL, just bcos u always play games by urself in ur own home doesnt mean other ppl dont want portable consoles to go out and play with their friends anywhere they want. Coming back home and play it like home console is a big plus. According to what u said, theres still alot of info needed to form intelligent opinions but u alrdy bashing them and say its a "forced gimmick". Yeah whatever.